PDA

View Full Version : Hello AOS from Staffordshire!

Lightweight
31-10-2008, 10:26
Hi,

I'd just like to say hi and introduce myself. I'm fairly new to this level of sound reproduction, but have been interesed in listening to music for ever - I've been lucky enough to have worked in the concert touring industry for 25 years and this background has shaped my requirements for reproduced music in the home.

Currently I'm effectively speakerless, having sold the Tannoy Canterbury 15's that have been filling my front room to Ian. That's why I'm here, he and Marco brought his modified valve amplifier round to audition the speakers and blew me away with the dynamic range, transient response and clarity that was possible from a valve amplifier. The sound was the nearest I have heard to standing on stage in front of a drum kit and backline without being there, apart from in a recording studio, and that's the sound I'm going to work towards.

So, I'm on the quest for a new pair of speakers and amp to drive them, but I'm fairly sure of the amplification route I'm going to take!

Cheers for now,

Ian Clarke.

Filterlab
31-10-2008, 10:43
Hi Ian and welcome, lovely to have you aboard. :)

25 years in the concert industry eh?! Nice one, who've you worked with over the years, anyone interesting?

Good luck on finding your ideal speakers and amp, definitely check out the Links Box as there may be a few guys there who can help you.

Cheers!

Marco
31-10-2008, 10:54
Hi Ian,

Welcome. Great to have you here, mate!

Are you borrowing the Yaqin from Anthony? It's mad isn't it with Steve just being down the road from you? :eyebrows:

You'll find loads of useful info here about the Yaqin and Anthony's modified version, along with his modified Puresound A30, so just search on it, or if you have any specific questions post a new thread and you'll get loads of helpful advice.

Are you going to try Anthony's Tannoys, too?

That's why I'm here, he and Marco brought his modified valve amplifier round to audition the speakers and blew me away with the dynamic range, transient response and clarity that was possible from a valve amplifier. The sound was the nearest I have heard to standing on stage in front of a drum kit and backline without being there, apart from in a recording studio, and that's the sound I'm going to work towards.

Rob, are you listening? Hehe... ;)

Marco.

Lightweight
31-10-2008, 11:10
Marco,

Yes, it seems it's a very small world! I'd like to thank you for introducing me to Steve and Anthony, I plan to listen to Steve's system soon and Anthony has offered to lend me your old amp - just need to allocate some time to visit South Wales.

Rob,

The company I work for has provided equipment and tour personell to pretty much any band at one time or another. I used to tour as a lighting technician, but now I manage the Research and Development department in Europe and get involeved in the larger touring acts. Recent clients include Madonna, Jay Z, Cliff Richard, Metallica, Horse of the Year, Top Gear and MTV European Music Awards.

Talking of which, I'd better get back to the day job! Nice to meet you.

Ian.

Filterlab
31-10-2008, 11:15
Rob,

The company I work for has provided equipment and tour personell to pretty much any band at one time or another. I used to tour as a lighting technician, but now I manage the Research and Development department in Europe and get involeved in the larger touring acts. Recent clients include Madonna, Jay Z, Cliff Richard, Metallica, Horse of the Year, Top Gear and MTV European Music Awards.

Talking of which, I'd better get back to the day job! Nice to meet you.

Ian.

Yeah! Excellent stuff indeed, bet you get to see some serious equipment working with the likes of those folk. Top stuff, hope you enjoy The Art of Sound. :)

Beechwoods
31-10-2008, 12:34
Welcome to AOS Ian. Which bit of Staffordshire do you hail from? I grew up right at the bottom, little place called Kinver. Last village as you cross into Worcestershire. Lovely area, down the south. Now if you're up in the Potteries... ;):)

Steve Toy
31-10-2008, 13:05
I live midway between Kinver and the Potteries, not far from Cannock Chase. Ian is some four miles away from here.

just need to allocate some time to visit South Wales.

I'll probably be heading that way soon to sort out a power supply unit for my CD player. I could bring the amp back with me!

This would be the amp that Ian/Lightweight heard:

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/860/aos2powerle6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

This is mine. It looks a bit different but has the same Anthony/TD signature of dynamics, clarity and coherence:

http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/6408/chesterfest08023fj0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Lightweight
31-10-2008, 15:24
Steve, that would be great if you have to go that way anyway. When are you thinking of making the trip? I must admit I'd like to meet Anthony at some point and chat about what he does to these amps to make them sound so good!

Cheers, Ian.

Ian Walker
31-10-2008, 17:56
Hi Ian,

Great to see you here welcome aboard,yes that was a shocking experience at your house :) i think all three of us were amazed. At one stage i was worried you were going to change your mind and keep them!.So cheers for letting me buy these brilliant speakers.I'll get those flacs done for you as soon as i can drag myself away from the music.......
Regards,
Ian.

Lightweight
31-10-2008, 20:31
Ian, your amp and those speakers were made for each other - I'm glad they finally met! This is a great place too, so I'm grateful to you and Marco for introducing me.

Cheers, Ian.

Marco
01-11-2008, 09:43
I'll probably be heading that way soon to sort out a power supply unit for my CD player. I could bring the amp back with me!

Steve, don't forget to visit me first for our cable test, etc, and pick up the Soul Mate preamp, etc, to take to Anthony's :)

Ian (C) - I'll make the distinction in case you think I'm talking to 'Betty' (Ian W :eyebrows:) - you're in for a journey of endless fun and enlightenment pursuing the valve route. People have completely and utterly the wrong impression of valve amps, thinking them as 'warm' and 'valvey' sounding (whatever that is - Rob ;)), or a bit 'pipe and slippers', but nothing could be further from the truth! I'm sure you thought along similar lines yourself until Ian and I brought round his Croft and AOS/TD valve pre & power amps.

Besides, given what you do for a living, I think you'll be a pretty good judge of what's considered as a realistic 'live' sound :fingers:

Marco.