PDA

View Full Version : Fleetwood mac 45rpm

Thing Fish
31-08-2011, 01:02
Well its been a long time in coming but finally its here. Fleetwood mac 180g 45rpm released on 2 lps.

But all is not quite as it seems!

There are two 45rpm versions - there is the Steve Hoffman/Gray version (the USA release) and I quote - You are going to hear RUMOURS exactly like it was recorded and mixed; no revisionist mastering, no bass bump, treble boosting, compression, echo adding or other signal processing done by us.

And then there is the Bernie Grundman/bellmans remaster. Which as I can gather was remixed in 2004 and was used for the european release. But is still considered (by some) to be a reasonably viable version.

Both are pressed at the 'Pallas' pressing plant in Germany which is considered one of the top pressing plants around at the moment.

You can tell which version it is by looking in the dead wax area of the record. If its a Hoffman Gray remaster then you will see - SH/KG etched therein if not you will see BG/B

Also on the SH/KG version 'Gold dust woman' will count in. On the G/B version it will fade in as all previous releases.

There is also a 33rpm version release on offer.

My 45rpm 2 disc version will arrived tomorrow. To be honest I don't care which version it is i'm just waiting by the door to see the postie walking up the drive...

WOStantonCS100
31-08-2011, 04:24
That ought to be good. :) I trust you'll give us a review of it once you've had time to give it a serious spin. I'm quite curious about the Hoffman/Gray version.

Theo
31-08-2011, 12:03
I got the Hoffman/Gray version a few months ago from the States: it is far superior to the original vinyl copy I have in terms of depth, space around the instruments, clarity of vocals, and bass impact. Well worth the purchase - if you like the actual LP that is...

The only downside - same with all the 2 x 45rpm releases - is getting up every 8-10 minutes to change discs. It tends to ruin the flow of music you know well. But I find it worthwhile because some of these pressings - especially the Music Matters/Analogue Production Blue Notes - are stellar, and make the CD versions (admittedly some with dodgy mastering) sound brash and 2-D in comparison.

Now if only the powers-that-be would be more adventurous with their choice of 45rpm vinyl re-releases. Be Bop Deluxe anyone?

colinB
31-08-2011, 12:24
Thanks for the info. Its always a gamble buying reissues.
Always find Rhino do a good job with remaster engineers and packaging.
Bought Kate Bush sensual world by Hoffman last night but had no chance to listen yet.

DSJR
31-08-2011, 13:41
The original UK LP was dire and up until fairly recently, I think the tracks dubbed onto their Greatest Hits compilation (original green CD booklet) sounded far better with a little catreful eq done.

I like the album and ought to try these 45's I think, or wait for a remastered CD :)

MartinT
31-08-2011, 14:43
The Rumours DVD-A is superb sounding and is my reference for that album. In my experience, Bernie Grundman can do no wrong, his remastering efforts are always excellent (try the Jennifer Warnes Famous Blue Raincoat 20th Anniversary, for instance) and I would expect your BG LP to sound very good indeed.

I won't be buying it, but only because the DVD-A is already so good.

Audioman
31-08-2011, 18:41
The original UK LP was dire and up until fairly recently, I think the tracks dubbed onto their Greatest Hits compilation (original green CD booklet) sounded far better with a little catreful eq done.

I like the album and ought to try these 45's I think, or wait for a remastered CD :)

It is certainly not dire (if you actualy have a first press original). When I bought this back in 1977 i was knocked out by the sound quality. Apparantly later cuts were messed with using different mixes for some tracks. However the Hoffman/Gray 45 rpm is indeed superior. This is an excellent reissue well worth waiting for.

Thing Fish, if you get the european 45 rpm send it back. Apparantly it is not in the same league and inferior to standard 33rpm reissue all of which are SH/KG remaster. From what I have heard the EU is not BG master but an anonymous european sourced effort probably from hi-res digital files.