PDA

View Full Version : Want to do some Technics 1210 Mk2 upgrades - Where to get tonearm rewired in the U.K.

LoGiCa
30-08-2011, 23:12
I want to do some upgrades on my Technics 1210 Mk2 (to use as a recording deck. It used to be one of my DJ'ing turntables) and want to know the best place to get the stock tonearm rewired (internal/external and foam filled) in the U.K. and how much that generally costs.

I was also looking at cartridges and the Ortofon Arkiv looks to be within my budget unless there are other better alternatives?

The stock feet will be replaced with some Isonoes and do you have any recommendations for mats? I have quite a tight budget at the moment and will do these upgrades over time.

I am more knowledgeable about studio gear than Hi-Fi so any help would be appreciated :)

The Grand Wazoo
30-08-2011, 23:17
Hi Matt,
A quick trip over to the Welcome section to introduce yourself, system and musical taste is usually the best way to ingratiate yourself with the natives round these parts (apart from it being a requirement for all new members).
Once the formalities are done with, you'll have the Technics freaks queuing up to answer your questions!
Cheers

colinB
30-08-2011, 23:22
Audio origami is the best place for a arm rewire. Sorry i dont know how much it will be but he is a friendly chap and has a forum where you can ask more.
The cheapest mat i know of is the origin live mat at £40. It sits on the rubber stock mat.
I would also get a sumiko headshell for £30 that works better than the technics headshell.

CableMaker1
31-08-2011, 01:30
Audio origami is the best place for a arm rewire. Sorry i dont know how much it will be but he is a friendly chap and has a forum where you can ask more.
The cheapest mat i know of is the origin live mat at £40. It sits on the rubber stock mat.
I would also get a sumiko headshell for £30 that works better than the technics headshell.

How does the Sumiko Headshell perform better than the stock headshell? Whe benefits does it provide?

LoGiCa
31-08-2011, 04:17
Thanks for the replies. I have posted in the welcome section.

I never used the stock headshell on the deck from when it was new in 1999. I used Stanton Trackmasters and I've not had much experience with any other needles/carts.

Ammonite Audio
31-08-2011, 17:41
I will also recommend Audio Origami for rewires - I had my SL-1210 arm done by him, with OFC copper external cabling too and the job was very good; so good that I had two other arms rewired afterwards. You can choose to have the arm foam filled too, which might be beneficial. General pricing is on his website at http://www.audioorigami.co.uk/AO_Rewires/AORewires.htm .

MCRU
31-08-2011, 18:40
Hi,
Having currently 3 technics TT's in my house I am wondering why bother to have the stock arm re-wired, in my opinion a new, better arm is the way to go, only then will the true potential of the SL1200/1210 begin to come out slowly. It costs a lot of money to bring it to it's best but it does not need to all be done at once. I think once you have become involved in the AOS forum where very clever and enthusiastic Technic's owners reside you will regret re-wiring the stock arm and wish you had bought a better arm all together.

prestonchipfryer
31-08-2011, 18:51
David is right IMO, fit a better arm and also an upgrade of the power supply and main bearing should be considered before rewiring your/any arm. :)

Wakefield Turntables
31-08-2011, 19:46
+1 for Audio Origami, I got my V modified there and it's now a completely different beast!

LoGiCa
31-08-2011, 19:52
I was looking at an Origin Live rewired Rega RB250 on eBay a while ago.

I think I may go for that rather than spending probably half what that would cost on rewiring the stock arm.

Any recommendations on needles for that arm?

Wakefield Turntables
31-08-2011, 20:41
Michell Tecnoarm :fingers: about £200 - £300 on eBay you will never need another Rega based tone arm again, unless you want the Funk FXR.:eek:

colinB
31-08-2011, 22:35
It is said the rega 250 does not work well o the technics but im not speaking from experience. The Jelcos do.

LoGiCa
31-08-2011, 23:38
Michell Tecnoarm :fingers: about £200 - £300 on eBay you will never need another Rega based tone arm again, unless you want the Funk FXR.:eek:

I was hoping to get a tonearm and needle for that much :)

Stratmangler
31-08-2011, 23:40
It is said the rega 250 does not work well o the technics but im not speaking from experience. The Jelcos do.

It is just said.
And it's bollocks :)

colinB
31-08-2011, 23:53
I wish someone had told me that when i first started out.

Stratmangler
01-09-2011, 00:12
I only found out recently :)

colinB
01-09-2011, 00:13
A standard one or modified one ?

Stratmangler
01-09-2011, 00:19
Slightly modded.
Incognito (Moth) wiring loom fitted, OL stub and counterweight, sneakily applied insulation tape on arm tube (almost invisible unless you have a really good look ;) )

I'd have got the Michell stub and counterweight, but for the fact that it hadn't been released until six months or so later - ah well :(

colinB
01-09-2011, 00:27
That technoarm A looks like a nice bit of engineering.

Stratmangler
01-09-2011, 00:33
John Michell certainly knew what he was doing when he rejigged the RB250.
I believe that it was the last project he had a major hand in before his passing.

John
01-09-2011, 06:26
Why not go for the Jelco instead
Getting the foundation right with these TT pays off in the long run

MCRU
01-09-2011, 06:32
I was going to suggest the Jelco but realize some members will think I am trying to sell one so don't want to appear pushy, that is the problem being a dealer!

John
01-09-2011, 06:40
Lol its hard to get the balance right
I heard Marco 1210 a few times and the Jelco works really well with his deck and seemed to have coped well with all the mods he made

MCRU
01-09-2011, 06:47
Yes I have also heard the great one's deck, I need to listen to it against my own as soon as possible because I want to put the MN gizmos against the oyaide mat and my own PSU.

John
01-09-2011, 07:33
Marco always enjoys those kind of bake offs

freefallrob
01-09-2011, 12:22
Even a bog standard RB300/301 sounds better than the stock Technics tone arm in my personal experience. I used to own a fully modded OL1, it was superb on a SL1210mk2.

Wakefield Turntables
01-09-2011, 13:51
Ive got a technoarm sitting in my Attic, i may even put it on my 301 but a technoarm will arsehole a jelco any day of the week IMHO !

MCRU
01-09-2011, 14:19
Ive got a technoarm sitting in my Attic, i may even put it on my 301 but a technoarm will arsehole a jelco any day of the week IMHO !

interesting comment dude, I had both and the jelco as it comes straight out of the box you are probably correct, but also it depends on the cart too

Wakefield Turntables
01-09-2011, 17:16
David,

Of course it depends upon setup and cartridge. I like the technoarm for the simple reason it looks so sexy! I had a ortofon Rohman on mine at the time then I switched to a cartridge a third of the price which made me ten times happier :lol: I'll probably be getting rid of the audiotechnica cartridge for a Benz at some point but thats another story..............

LoGiCa
01-09-2011, 19:03
So many options... Think I need to do some more reading on here to get and idea of what I want to achieve with this deck.

MCRU
02-09-2011, 17:24
So many options... Think I need to do some more reading on here to get and idea of what I want to achieve with this deck.

Suggestion from me would be try and find someone local who has a pimped up Techy and go see it?