PDA

View Full Version : Stand mount speakers

icehockeyboy
30-08-2011, 10:11
There is absolutely nothing wrong with my Quad 22 L2's, they did not disappoint when I downsized from my PMC FB1+'s, but I keep hankering after some stand mounters, am I silly? If not, what advantages/disadvantages would I encounter?

hifi_dave
30-08-2011, 10:56
It depends on which stand mount speakers you are referring to. After all, they range from squitty little cheapos to massive, expensive monitors from the likes of Harbeth and ATC..:scratch:

Darren
30-08-2011, 15:33
It's not for me to say sonically if you are silly but from an aesthetic viewpoint then you are very silly. Who wants a load of old iron stands under their speakers when you could have floor standers with their far better looks and wider bandwidth.

Stratmangler
30-08-2011, 15:52
It's not for me to say sonically if you are silly but from an aesthetic viewpoint then you are very silly. Who wants a load of old iron stands under their speakers when you could have floor standers with their far better looks and wider bandwidth.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/colin/P5230293.JPG

These don't look too shabby, do they ?
They sound amazing, and have great insight without tearing your ears off.

Floorstanders also can sound shite if they require more space to accomodate them than you can afford to give them ;)

Butuz
30-08-2011, 15:56
Well if you liked your FB1 then why not try DB1 or TB2??

I love my db1 they're just as good as gb1 but without the very lowest bass. I can live without the bottom 20hz as the other 24,980 hz are bloody great :D

Butuz

hifi_dave
30-08-2011, 16:35

Looks is one thing but you could never accuse large, stand mount ATC, Harbeth or PMC of lacking in 'bandwidth'.

Darren
30-08-2011, 16:50
Hi Dave, I naturally bow to your experience but surely, all things being equal, the larger air volume possible in a floor standing enclosure counts for something?

Darren
30-08-2011, 16:52
Hi Stratty,
Those speakers look great..... But they would look even better without that iron mongery under them.

Stratmangler
30-08-2011, 17:01
Hi Stratty,
Those speakers look great..... But they would look even better without that iron mongery under them.

What ironmongery ?
The spikes ?
The stands are made from wood. The toplates are Rosewood veneered, and the uprights are finished in Solatex.

IHP
30-08-2011, 17:57
Again, what ironmongery ?!

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo104/ianhpphotos/002-1.jpg

PS - You're welcome to pop round and listen to these icehockeyboy, I believe you're in Nottm as i am.

Darren
30-08-2011, 18:09
Sorry Stratty,
I was viewing the image on my iphone and failed to see the stands in detail. They do look good, not my kind of thing but very nice I'm sure.

Hi IHP, No you are dead right, no iron mongery in your photo at all , a fair bit of pink mind but certainly no iron to be seen.

Im bowing out of this thread now before the stand mount owners get up a posse to come and get me..........:eek: :chainsaw::acid::peace:

IHP
30-08-2011, 18:14
Sorry Stratty,
I was viewing the image on my iphone and failed to see the stands in detail. They do look good, not my kind of thing but very nice I'm sure.

Hi IHP, No you are dead right, no iron mongery in your photo at all , a fair bit of pink mind but certainly no iron to be seen.

Im bowing out of this thread now before the stand mount owners get up a posse to come and get me..........:eek: :chainsaw::acid::peace:

I'm afraid that photo does come across as a bit pink. Truth is I'm in a 12 x 12 ft room and huge floorstanders are out really, I've found these to suit the room and my ears. If I had the choice though it would be ESL57s or massive Tannoys and a new home ! No posse here ;-)

hifi_dave
30-08-2011, 18:40
Hi Dave, I naturally bow to your experience but surely, all things being equal, the larger air volume possible in a floor standing enclosure counts for something?

Depends on the size of the floor stander and the stand mounter.

Take a look at the websites of ATC, Harbeth and PMC to see their large (very) stand mount designs. There are few floor standers equal in size to these brutes and they do have bass to match.

All three of these companies believe that the best designs are stand mount.

Darren
30-08-2011, 18:55
See, theres the thing Dave: small stand mounts look piffling and large ones look brutish......

Wheras my Sonus Fabers look swooping, curvy, svelt.

The prosecution rests.....

The Vinyl Adventure
30-08-2011, 19:13
My stand mounts look good with gloss black metal stands as they are gloss black them selves ... Not to mention the fact that the smallest floor standing version are a clear £10000 more than what I paid for the stand mounters and would be far to much for room with the 2k watts of amps they have in them!
They also significantly out shine the pmc fb1+ speakers (the weak link) and amp I had powering them that collectively had a greater price new!

chelsea
30-08-2011, 19:21
I would have thought a lot of standmounts have a bigger volume and larger bass unit than most of the waf floorstanders.

I like standmounts,always look like they mean buisness.

Yomanze
30-08-2011, 19:26
All three of these companies believe that the best designs are stand mount.

In terms of less box colouration & better imaging I would have to agree.

Welder
30-08-2011, 19:38
Don’t really care whether a speaker looks good or not; it’s what they sound like that’s important to me.
Another vote for stand mounts over floorstanders :)

The Grand Wazoo
30-08-2011, 19:45
I've always been someone to dissuade folks from leaping into buying floor-standers unless they have got the budget to get something that represents an actual improvement. It takes an awful lot to better a really good stand-mounted speaker.
Don't be fooled by the old maxim of "a good big 'un always beats a good little 'un"
It is usually very, very true - but many times, the over-enthusiastic upgrader fails to see the word 'good' in that sentence. Important to remember that (unless proper, serious money is involved) a good little 'un is probably always better than any big 'un of the same price.

icehockeyboy
31-08-2011, 21:41
Again, what ironmongery ?!

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo104/ianhpphotos/002-1.jpg

PS - You're welcome to pop round and listen to these icehockeyboy, I believe you're in Nottm as i am.
I am Ian, and thanks for the offer, thing is though, they may as well be floorstanders, as not only do they look like them, they have the same footprint too. :)

IHP
01-09-2011, 15:13
A very fair point Craig ! I love 'em though ;-)

Alex_UK
01-09-2011, 22:30
I am Ian, and thanks for the offer, thing is though, they may as well be floorstanders, as not only do they look like them, they have the same footprint too. :)

But then so will virtually any stand mounter on erm, stands... Unless you are plonking them on bookshelves, space saving is not a reason to avoid floorstanders... Wonder why, then, so many people would buy those tiny little boxes in preference to a floorstander... :scratch:

Seriously Craig, if you've not heard Harbeths of any description, I'd strongly suggest taking Ian up on his kind offer of a listen - only if he has Custard Creams, mind! ;)

(To "fess up" I was in the same camp as you until recently - the truth is though, like everything hifi, you cannot be absolutist about this - some stand mount speakers are the dogs danglies, whereas some floorstanders are the mutts nuts... As always, it is the implementation that is important rather than the underlying technology or principal.)

Mika K
02-09-2011, 15:21
Friend just bought Harbeth M40.1s to his apartment ;)

I don't know about you but if I ever decide to abandon the "horny" route I will most likely return to Yamaha NS-1000Ms or end up to Spendor SP100R's or those huge Harbeths. Hmm, also some ATC models are quite interesting. Well, anyway - big monitors are the way to go..

icehockeyboy
03-09-2011, 11:02
But then so will virtually any stand mounter on erm, stands... Unless you are plonking them on bookshelves, space saving is not a reason to avoid floorstanders... Wonder why, then, so many people would buy those tiny little boxes in preference to a floorstander... :scratch:

Seriously Craig, if you've not heard Harbeths of any description, I'd strongly suggest taking Ian up on his kind offer of a listen - only if he has Custard Creams, mind! ;)

(To "fess up" I was in the same camp as you until recently - the truth is though, like everything hifi, you cannot be absolutist about this - some stand mount speakers are the dogs danglies, whereas some floorstanders are the mutts nuts... As always, it is the implementation that is important rather than the underlying technology or principal.)

Good points there!
I am usually the first to comment on how stands and standmounters do indeed take up the same floor space! :) But for whatever reason, still hanker after some!

synsei
04-09-2011, 15:09
Having swapped some fairly decent Rogers floormounts for a pair of B&W Dm2 standmounters recently I can categorically state that I am very happy with the results. Yes, the DM2 monitors are huge and nobody could describe them as being particularly pretty, but man they do the biz. They are more dynamic, have a sweet, sweet top end and produce as much bass as the Rogers ever did, but with more insight. The midrange is better focused too. I'm aware that I'm not comparing like for like, but I'm now certain standmounters better suit my small listening room, even big ones... :lol: