PDA

View Full Version : Turntable Stand

Tea24
28-08-2011, 16:36
On looking through this and other forums (fora?) I am often astonished by the lack of height of the various stands, furniture etc. on which the TT is placed.:scratch:

Do some of you kneel down or squat to play a disc?:lol:

If you lived in my house with a Labrador with an ever wagging tail and a Sealyham with destructive tendencies (witness my wife's inherited Steiff bear which had to go to the Teddy Bear Hospital) you wouldn't do this as it would mean ruination of arm, cart etc.:(

Also at my advanced old age:violin:, bending, kneeling is something I do not want to do. My TT stand /shelf is at waist level.:facepull:

chelsea
28-08-2011, 18:06
Built my own hi fi unit and decks are about a metre high.

Mika K
28-08-2011, 18:16
Same here, my diy-rack for other source gear sets vinyl spinner approx 1m 15cm from the floor.

Most of the readymade racks are indeed tad too tiny but in modular solutions you are naturally able to stack necessary number of shelves to get the optimum height for you..

YNWaN
28-08-2011, 18:46
There is quite a good technical reason for keeping the TT stand low though. Basically, you want to keep the turntable as still as possible. The taller the stand, the more small movements at the base are amplified at the top - doubling the height of the stand makes quite a big difference (particularly on a suspended floor).

Marco
28-08-2011, 19:03
...and yet my T/T sounds *way* better 6ft off of (my suspended wooden) floor, on Phase 17 Mana, than it does on Phase 1 Mana (a Reference Rack), 2ft from the floor.... ;)

Marco.

YNWaN
28-08-2011, 19:12
Hmm..does it? Does it have a 'stronger' bass by any chance?

6ft off the floor! Must make cuing a record a right PITA!

Tea24
28-08-2011, 19:27
Take your point YNWaN, but you obviously don't have dogs!:lolsign:

flatpopely
28-08-2011, 19:33
Take your point YNWaN, but you obviously don't have dogs!:lolsign:

I have a black lab and my deck is on a std height Audiotech table!

Stratmangler
28-08-2011, 19:48
Wall shelf is best.

Marco
28-08-2011, 19:58
Hmm..does it? Does it have a 'stronger' bass by any chance?

6ft off the floor! Must make cuing a record a right PITA!

Nope - I'm tall! :eyebrows: Anyway, I exaggerated a little; it's probably more like 5ft...

And no, it's got nothing to do with "stronger bass" - the T/T simply performs at a higher level, sonically, and consequently sounds more musically right.

I'm not saying that your theory is wrong, I believe that it has merit; simply that, in my experience, the extra isolation provided by multiple levels of Mana, outweighs any negative effect from the greater physical instability of a taller turntable stand :)

My advice is never sign up to any form of absolutism - always judge the efficacy of audio ancillaries (or indeed equipment) on an individual situation basis! ;)

Marco.

Mika K
28-08-2011, 20:40
Wall shelf is best.
Perhaps it is, perhaps it is'nt.

Every structure has it's own ways to absord energy, deliver it forward etc and usually in certain frequencies, including floor, ceiling etc. Also every TT and even system overall has its own weak points regarding this subject so just as Marco said about the absolutism - I do not believe in any one solution fits them all style of theories ;)

However, logically the best solution to solve the problem would be to isolate TT completely from these stand/rack-based energy transfers. Of course it is not 100% possible in real situation but there are some solutions that cut off direct coupling totally and leave only the ones coming airways and in my books these might be the ticket.

Marco
28-08-2011, 20:43
Also every TT and even system overall has its own weak points regarding this subject so just as Marco said about the absolutism - I do not believe in any one solution fits them all style of theories...

Quite right, Mika. Only the biased, blinkered and/or uninitiated do ;)

Marco.

Stratmangler
28-08-2011, 21:23
Perhaps it is, perhaps it is'nt.

Every structure has it's own ways to absord energy, deliver it forward etc and usually in certain frequencies, including floor, ceiling etc. Also every TT and even system overall has its own weak points regarding this subject so just as Marco said about the absolutism - I do not believe in any one solution fits them all style of theories ;)

In the majority of UK homes a wall shelf would surmount the issues of footfall on suspended floors.

I use a wall shelf myself, even though I do not have to contend with suspended floors.
The shelf used is by Target, and the framework has been drilled and filled with expanding foam to reduce frame resonances. The MDF shelf has been replaced with a slate slab. There are RDC cone cups at the spike/slate slab interface.
It works well for me.

I agree though that there is no universal panacea ;)

Thing Fish
28-08-2011, 21:44
I have a wall shelf for my TT and it is the best support I have found to date.

MikeMusic
29-08-2011, 12:05
Mine is on a Mana set up.
5 shelf rock solid metal with glass shelves houses Power amps, power supplies and mains regenerator. A Mana Reference top on top of that has the LP12.
Nice height for me around 4'
I tried a Mana wall shelf but it didn't sound as good as when on the rack.
CD player is even higher, around 5'. Ok being a front loader
Mike