PDA

View Full Version : A bit of help with amplification

Richardl
27-08-2011, 12:06
I need some advice about amplifiers, I fancy an upgrade, but I'm not sure how to go about it.
At the moment it's a mix of AV and hifi.
I have a squeezbox going into a Nuforce dac9, using the digital volume control on the dac, going straight into an Arcam p35 power amp......using a Niles switchbox to share inputs with a Lexicon MC12B processor, which also goes through the Niles switchbox, then onto the P35.

I'd like to upgrade the P35 amp and also get rid of the switchbox.
So I'm thinking about turning off the digital volume control on the dac, maybe getting a Bel Canto S300i integrated amp, I'm a bit restricted, as I need an amp with a home theatre bypass function (I don't think there's that many), Arcam integrated amps have this feature, but it's not going to be much of an upgrade then.

I was wondering what Bel Canto amps are like?, I believe they're really good, but am I going to regret using an integrated rather than a power amp, also I'll have to use keep a 3 channel P35 for the rears and centre, will the Bel Canto not match that?

Maybe someone has some more suggestions about how to go about an upgrade.

I should say, I don't have anymore room for equipment, so a separate pre-amp is out the question.

Stratmangler
27-08-2011, 12:37
Why not try the Squeezebox direct into the Lexicon and pull the NuForce DAC and the Niles Switchbox out of the equation?

Feed the Lexicon through the HTR throughput on the Arcam.

Richardl
27-08-2011, 12:48
Why not try the Squeezebox direct into the Lexicon and pull the NuForce DAC and the Niles Switchbox out of the equation?

Feed the Lexicon through the HTR throughput on the Arcam.

I've tried that before, it wasn't great. it wasn't really hifi, if you know what I mean?

lewis
28-08-2011, 08:58
A lot of people just have their stereo integrated going into an av amp, connected via the pre-outs on the av amp. So, when listening to music, you switch off the av amp, just using the stereo amp, and when you want your surround sound, you switch them both on, with the volume on your stereo amp at approx 12 o'clock, and control the volume from your av amp. I have used that method for years, and it works! You dont need the home theatre bypass function using that method, it's just more convenient. So, all you require, is a stereo amp, av amp, and your source, unless i have misunderstood your question!:rolleyes:

Richardl
29-08-2011, 07:20
A lot of people just have their stereo integrated going into an av amp, connected via the pre-outs on the av amp. So, when listening to music, you switch off the av amp, just using the stereo amp, and when you want your surround sound, you switch them both on, with the volume on your stereo amp at approx 12 o'clock, and control the volume from your av amp. I have used that method for years, and it works! You dont need the home theatre bypass function using that method, it's just more convenient. So, all you require, is a stereo amp, av amp, and your source, unless i have misunderstood your question!:rolleyes:

I could see that ending in tears........that method is fine, as long as you remember to turn the volume down, before changing inputs. My girlfriend has trouble understanding how it all works, I'd give her a week, before she blew my speakers up :lol:

lewis
29-08-2011, 09:14
I could see that ending in tears........that method is fine, as long as you remember to turn the volume down, before changing inputs. My girlfriend has trouble understanding how it all works, I'd give her a week, before she blew my speakers up :lol:

Ok, so you could try a few more options.....
1. Get rid of your girlfriend.:D Only joking!!
2. Get a stereo amp with home theatre bypass.
3. Forget surround, and just use a quality stereo amp through some quality speakers.:)

StanleyB
29-08-2011, 09:20
The TC-7220 amp/speaker switch of mine is a possible solution to the problem. I have even sold a couple of female buyers who wanted a simple solution to switch between their husband's expensive stereo amp, and the 'regular' AV amp that the rest of the family is allowed to use.

YNWaN
29-08-2011, 10:03
I would just have two systems - a whizz bang one for the telly and a proper one for real music. Combined systems always seem distinctly compromised when it comes to playing music (fun on films though).

Macca
29-08-2011, 10:09
I would just have two systems - a whizz bang one for the telly and a proper one for real music. Combined systems always seem distinctly compromised when it comes to playing music (fun on films though).

+1

Not everyone has the space to do this though, plus there is WAF to consider.

Effem
29-08-2011, 13:10
+1

Not everyone has the space to do this though, plus there is WAF to consider.

+1 from me too. Every attempt I have made to combine the hi-fi and AV have never fared well

Canetoad
29-08-2011, 13:20
The TC-7220 amp/speaker switch of mine is a possible solution to the problem. I have even sold a couple of female buyers who wanted a simple solution to switch between their husband's expensive stereo amp, and the 'regular' AV amp that the rest of the family is allowed to use.

I use one of these to switch main speakers from AV amp to stereo amp and can recommend them. :)

chelsea
29-08-2011, 13:22
I have always been happy running tv/dvd through 2 channel.
Surround sound is one of my pet hates.

Richardl
29-08-2011, 17:30
I'm using a Niles switchbox http://www.nilesaudio.com/product.php?prodID=PS-1&recordID=Source%20Switching%20Systems&categoryID=Switching%20Systems&catcdID=10&prdcdID=FG00012 to change inputs, it's very neutral and doesn't affect the sound too much. I did have a automatic switchbox, it was 120V but when using a small plugin stepdown convertor, it seemed to cause some radio interference ......when I plugged to my amplifiers big 3KW transformer it was fine.....but I'm not using that amp at the moment.

No laughing out there :) .........my front speakers are these....
http://www.a1-sound.co.uk/product/polk-lci-rts105-thx-ultra-ii-in-wall-speaker

They look really good, but there isn't much bass to speak of.....I use a sub for the lower bass frequencies.

StanleyB
29-08-2011, 17:40
I use a set of wall speakers in my 2nd system in the dining room, with a small subwoofer taking care of the bass. It works very well, so might be worth trying in your case.

Richardl
29-08-2011, 19:00
They look really good, but there isn't much bass to speak of.....I use a sub for the lower bass frequencies.

I use a set of wall speakers in my 2nd system in the dining room, with a small subwoofer taking care of the bass. It works very well, so might be worth trying in your case.

:)

technobear
31-08-2011, 16:46
I have always been happy running tv/dvd through 2 channel.
Surround sound is one of my pet hates.

Snap!

Surround sound is a gimmick. Decent movies are just as involving in stereo and you get much better sound quality per pound spent.

If you are using a Squeezebox 3 / Classic, you would get better bang for your buck by upgrading to a Squeezebox Touch.

Richardl
31-08-2011, 17:06
Snap!

Surround sound is a gimmick. Decent movies are just as involving in stereo and you get much better sound quality per pound spent.

If you are using a Squeezebox 3 / Classic, you would get better bang for your buck by upgrading to a Squeezebox Touch.

I've got a touch on order, I'm just waiting for it to be delivered.

I was considering the Bel Canto pre-amp on Ebay, but there isn't that much room on my racking for extra equipment, I was maybe thinking if I got the pre-amp, I could get a Bel Canto power amp (one of the smaller size ones).....but there's no 12V trigger on any of them (I think).

I think I might be better upgrading the power amp for the front 2 channels first.

Richardl
16-09-2011, 14:30
I've got the touch now, it was a definite improvement :thumbsup: