PDA

View Full Version : Top notch pre/power combo wanted

isuckedmandelsonslemons
27-08-2011, 12:00
Hi, ideally I'd like a Rotel RB1582/RC1580 combo but I'm happy to consider all options. Must match and look nice (wife) and must be under two grand (bank manager. Thanks.

bikerboy
27-08-2011, 12:09
you have a PM

Wakefield Turntables
27-08-2011, 14:56
Bit controversial but the Quad 77 pre and power amp can be had for less than £400 they have a very balanced sounds, a little laid back and they can be fixed easily by Quad.

DSJR
27-08-2011, 21:35
Yep, I'd go further and suggest a LATE 44, or 66 or 77 with a 606mk2, 707 or early 909. The later 909's may have capacitor issues and this amp can easily be hidden away as it doesn't get hot in use..

Of course, Glenn Crofts Micro 25 and Series 7 look fab with their new knobs (on the preamp) and are actually very easy to use these days. Sonically wonderful too and shouldn't ever need service other than very occasional valve replacements :)

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/DSJR_photos/964e8194.jpg

Volante
28-08-2011, 09:44
I would second the vote for a Croft combo which punches well above its weight/cost - speak to Adrian at Audioflair.co.uk -

also have you seen the quad combo at audiolincs?

http://www.audiolincs.com/prev_owned.php?cat_id=1&prd_id=401

isuckedmandelsonslemons
29-08-2011, 10:34
I would second the vote for a Croft combo which punches well above its weight/cost - speak to Adrian at Audioflair.co.uk -

also have you seen the quad combo at audiolincs?

http://www.audiolincs.com/prev_owned.php?cat_id=1&prd_id=401

That's very sexy but I don't think I'm a valve type of guy.

Anyone got any thoughts on the Musical Fidelity A5cr pre/power combo?

The Grand Wazoo
29-08-2011, 10:38
Do you think it could help if you told us what you intend to connect to this amplifier in the way of sources & speakers? And perhaps the size of your room and preferred listening levels?

YNWaN
29-08-2011, 10:44
That Croft looks a bit like older ML - which is no bad thing (to me at least).

I much prefer the new knobs to the old ones.

Blimey Dave, that quote in your sig about stupidity is a bit funereal!

Macca
29-08-2011, 10:59
Recent review of the Croft combo here:

http://www.avguide.com/review/croft-acoustics-micro-25-preamplifier-series-7-power-amplifier-tas-213

I am the last person to claim to be a hi-fi expert but IMO anyone with £2K to spend on amplification should at least audition this combo before making a final decision. You may conclude it is not to your taste or you may find it to be a revelation.

John
29-08-2011, 12:03
I will be selling my SAC glowmaster soon
Its a cracking amp just to powerful for the speakers I have so I have to get rid of it
It be hard pressed to find any amp costing under £4000 any better and would sell at sensiable price it has new valves fitted and just been fitted with a stand by switch to help with valve life.
Its great with speakers off low efficency and has really good bass grip. It won a 5 star review in Hifi World
I am not sure what you match it with but any good pre will work well with it. This amp will be several steps up the ladder than the Rotel you mentioned.

peter j
30-08-2011, 13:17
If you get the Power side sorted I have a nice unmarked boxed Quad 66 Pre.It has the later style PCB and a MC input module fitted.Comes with the remote control.
Pete.

isuckedmandelsonslemons
31-08-2011, 15:35
Do you think it could help if you told us what you intend to connect to this amplifier in the way of sources & speakers? And perhaps the size of your room and preferred listening levels?
You make very valid points Sir.

Room size is 5mx4m. I like the capability to go so loud my ears bleed but I also like detail at low listening levels.

Musical tastes pretty much everything apart from classical.

Speakers are Usher CP6381 and source is a Yamaha CDS2000 CD player. No turntable.

I like the idea of pre/power combo but would consider integrated.

I'm currently using a Yamaha AS2000 amp which is very good.

Although I'm not entirely sure what I'm looming for I guess more detail and control are among the Qualities.

My max budget is £2k unless it was something really special. I'm no expert but I know what sounds good to my ears and although most people are blown away with my current set-up I feel there's something missing.

Hope you good people can steer me in some directions. Many thanks.

The Grand Wazoo
31-08-2011, 16:04
OK - and would you go for second hand stuff?

isuckedmandelsonslemons
31-08-2011, 16:08
Chris, more than happy to consider used stuff, ex demo etc.