PDA

View Full Version : Greetings audio nuts

hruyter
19-08-2011, 18:56
Hello all

I am going to be an odd addition to your little fold here, but I do hope a welcome one.

I have never thought of myself as an audiophile such as a friend of mine who is a sound engineer and can tell me what bitrate an MP3 was digitised with from listening to it on very average equipment. (he is a little extreme I think)

but I do know when I like the sound of something, and I do like the sound of the old more than the new, although I am sure there are many of you here who will disagree.
I still keep a reasonable collection of LPs and a 1210 to play them on (guess my age?)

Now the real reason I have suddenly come here is that my girlfriend's father is an electronics engineer with a passion for valve amplifiers and radios...

He has just built me, from scratch! a very beautiful EL34 single ended amplifier with all Russian tubes (I should say my girlfriend is Bulgarian so access to old CCCP stuff is easy here in Sofia)
The sound is wonderful and I can't wait to get it home and hook it up to the 1210 and my Kef speakers and play some tunes through it.

I will probably be looking to improve the sound with better speakers later, or perhaps I will build some horn cabinets (I will come here for advice I am sure)

Any way I think that is enough of a hello, I will post some pictures for the amp if you want them

Hill

hruyter
19-08-2011, 19:22
Ok so I folded and had to take a quick picture

I will take more when I have it back home and wired up

Oh and yes it does have an integrated iPhone dock although it does not charge.

Hope you guys like it

Hill

Rowlf
19-08-2011, 20:49
Warm welcome!

That was a very nice looking amp!

I am new here too but no doubt you will find lots of fun and interesting discussions here. Enjoy!

DSJR
19-08-2011, 21:12
Hi and welcome to both of you above :)

We demand :lolsign: loads of pics of your system(s), not to pull them apart, but to share our love of music and the gear we play it on and through.

That amp looks lovely and as you know the man who made it, it'll have greater meaning for you I'm sure :)

hruyter
22-08-2011, 09:18
Hi

thanks guys

I got back last night and lashed things up temporarily (couldn't wait)
The Amp nearly broke the wheels on my hand luggage wheelie bag ! Oops...

First problem though
When making it, Tony (That is my girlfriends dad), made connections for 4 ohm and 8 ohm speakers

My damn Kef Q35 speakers are only 6 ohm ! :doh:

Now I have to call him and ask where to plug them in or if I have to modify the internals at all :scratch:

Ohhh might be getting my soldering iron out!
(I have some 8 ohm Kef Q compacts that I can use in the mean time though.)

Ali Tait
22-08-2011, 11:11
It will be fine in either, nothing will explode! Just try both taps and see which sounds best. It'll depend on what kind of load your speakers present.

DSJR
22-08-2011, 13:56
+1 :)

hruyter
22-08-2011, 21:45
Thanks for the comforting advice ...

I didn't like the sound of the Q35s but the Q compacts are 8 ohm and they sound much better

I have had advice elsewhere though that I my need to look at something else for the new amp.

Hill

Themis
22-08-2011, 21:47
Welcome, Hill ! :)

Very nice amp, indeed !

Alex_UK
22-08-2011, 22:05
Hi Hill, welcome from me too. :)