PDA

View Full Version : Diy turntable

wil318
19-08-2011, 13:16
Hi All.

Can anyone let me know? If there are any companies offering scratch build turntable kits/ parts. Or anyone who has gone down this route . Who could help with Ideas for a design.

Thanks Again.

John
19-08-2011, 16:41
Teres, Orgin Live and VPI used to be able to do this
You could use this as a foundation http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VPI-Classic-Aluminium-Platter-Upgrade-/390338546930?pt=Turntable_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ae1fd8cf2 as comes with a bearing most platters sold do not come with the bearing, you could build a pretty high end turntable as easy to get a motor and would mean adding plinth and a arm, a word of warning this would not be an easy project
VPI would also sell you the super scout plinth which would be a pretty decent plinth but to be honest for what this project would cost you probarly better buying a new or secondhand TT

wil318
19-08-2011, 18:23
Thanks John.

VPI. good site. What price do Garrard 401's go for in the Uk these days?

High prices here in the frozen north (canada).

MCRU
19-08-2011, 19:19
Thanks John.

VPI. good site. What price do Garrard 401's go for in the Uk these days?

High prices here in the frozen north (canada).

motor unit only £500+

fully fettled up with arm and plinth up to £2000

John
19-08-2011, 20:04
Also if you want a TT to twaek also consider the Lenco and 1210 lots of info on both on how to get the best out

DSJR
19-08-2011, 21:22
Maybe a silly idea, but what about a Rega inner hub and bearing assembly, a (butcher's) blockboard type of plinth, some squash-balls for isolation and maybe an old but good still Rega motor (or one of the replacement types).

Just a thought. I get goosebumps I'm afraid every time I read of someone else butchering an otherwise good Lenco - good bloomin' job there are plenty around still.....

John
19-08-2011, 22:07
You do not have to butcher a Lenco to get it sounding good but a better plinth will help I woulld also put on a better arm no matter how much Dave likes arm the TT once on a proper plinth deserves something better Just IMHO