PDA

View Full Version : Shure experts to be sure....

Clive
18-08-2011, 22:05
I have an M75ED and a M95ED. The 95 has a 78 stylus as well as a cheap new microgroove one. The 75 still has the original stylus from my student days when it was in my PL12D.

If I bought a sexy Jico stylus should it be for the 75 or 95? Something tells me the 75 but that may just be because it's older and to some ears this makes it automatically better. The converse is that the 95 is underrated and screwed by a standard stylus - actually it sounds pretty good with the new stylus, marked as Swiss made.

Suggestions?

chelsea
18-08-2011, 22:09
Don't have a clue but i have a m75ed and ej.
Using the ed on a pl71 deck and have to say i'am very surprised how good it is.

I didn't expect much as they seem to sell cheap on ebay.
Must get a stylus for the g800 now and give that a try.

DSJR
21-08-2011, 11:43
I think the 95 series (and the V15 IV which is related) probably were scrrewed by the styli. At their worst, Shure's mid 70's offerings could sound hard toned, flat in perspective and relentless. Having heard just how much better a V15 III was with the HE tip, I'd stick my neck out and say to get an SAS tip for the 95 in the first instance, as the basic design was really good IMO and limited by the bits of barely polished rock/coal they fitted as styli.

I found an old Realistic body, which takes either the R5X (95-EJ equivalent) or the R8X I believe (95-ED). The body style/shape looks surprisingly V15-ish, although the innards are potted up and impossible to open without breaking.

bogle111
21-08-2011, 13:39
The 95 I always considers to not have the Shure "Family type sound" and as I remember was a lot smoother than the previous 75 line. Still have a V15III-HE original here in box, which I briefly had on a EPA100, but then went back to EPC100.

I would think that the G800 and the 75-6 would rank as the two best selling cartridges of the '70's. Used to come in styrofoam trays, no boxes, for dealer fitting. Cheaper that way.

I did quite like the 95 compared to the 75, and sold a lot because of that, but was probably in the minority as along came new Ortofon marketing. Cheaper Orts MM never quite had the punch that the Shures had to me, but smoothness became the way to go. I would go with the 95 if it was me.