PDA

View Full Version : Exam passes

Welder
18-08-2011, 10:51
One of the students I’ve been tutoring had his A level results yesterday and is off to University.
Rather a nice surprise to find him with a big excited grin on his face and a small present in his hand on my doorstep this morning. Buggered if I know how he’s going to survive given his almost non existent English and zero support from his family.
Made my day anyway :)

Alex_UK
18-08-2011, 14:02
Nice, John. Given that he has achieved what he has "against the odds" I'm sure he will be fine. Well, hopefully!

Beechwoods
18-08-2011, 18:15
Fan-flippin-tastic. My university years were some of the best, and now, I know that students have to take it way more seriously than I ever did. I left with a £600 debt and thought that was hard at the time... no grant and whatever. Good luck to him and I really hope he makes the best of his opportunity. If he's got into Bristol University there's unlikely to be anywhere better :)

WAD62
18-08-2011, 18:24
Good work John...:)

Ali Tait
18-08-2011, 18:37
Aye well done mate, you must be chuffed.

Neil McCauley
18-08-2011, 22:54
Fan-flippin-tastic. If he's got into Bristol University there's unlikely to be anywhere better :)

Other than UMIST of course! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Manchester_Institute_of_Science_and_ Technology

Neil McCauley
18-08-2011, 22:54
Aye well done mate, you must be chuffed.

+1

Welder
18-08-2011, 23:04
Thanks people and yes I’m really pleased :)
This guy and his mother came to England from Kosovo to escape from the still ongoing but largely unreported ethnic problems. His father got killed in the 1998 conflict.
He was at college there studying Mathematics Physics and Chemistry. To fund their emigration he had to take two years out of college to survive and help fund their move. On getting to England he was past our school sixth form age and unable to get a college place in the British system for a number of reasons.

After a few months of he and his mum being homeless he found work here and continued with his studies taking his exams as an outside student. Unlike the stereotyped economic/political immigrant neither he nor his mother claimed anything from the state and I only have a deep admiration for his determination.

While his written English is very good, he has had me rolling around the floor in stitches with his spoken English. Despite struggling financially he always managed to bring me something for my time. A nicer guy would be hard to find.

For me it was a great experience. I mostly help with GCSE Mathematics and Science so trying to teach Applied Mathematics and Physics at this standard was a challenge.

aquapiranha
18-08-2011, 23:12
Nice one. My son is off to Uni too to study Multimedia development so I am very chuffed.

Welder
19-08-2011, 00:02
Steve wrote;

“Nice one. My son is off to Uni too to study Multimedia development so I am very chuffed.”

It’s a great feeling and no wonder you feel chuffed :)
I still recall the seemingly endless trips back and forth from various digs with van loads of god knows what and suddenly finding that you no longer have the house to yourself when they re-appear at end of term with a mate or two :doh:

keiths
19-08-2011, 00:10
Other than UMIST of course! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Manchester_Institute_of_Science_and_ Technology

As an alumnus of UMIST (computing) I'd have to agree.

Barry
19-08-2011, 01:01
As an alumnus of UMIST (computing) I'd have to agree.

As an alumnus of The (Victoria) University of Manchester (aka, "Owens"), we tended to regard and look down (quite erroneously) on UMIST as the "Tech". (It was originally part of the Faculty of Technology of the University of Manchester but became too large, so was 'spun off' as a University in own right.) It was of course an excellent University and now is back in the fold; the two, along with (I believe) Dalton College, forming the largest campus in Europe: The University of Manchester.

goraman
19-08-2011, 03:02
Thanks, John that cheers me up.
Hopefully he will find friends to help him with the english he dosen't understand till he gets a grip on the lingo.Anyway hats off to you for sticking in there with him!

Clive
19-08-2011, 09:41
As an alumnus of The (Victoria) University of Manchester (aka, "Owens"), we tended to regard and look down (quite erroneously) on UMIST as the "Tech". (It was originally part of the Faculty of Technology of the University of Manchester but became too large, so was 'spun off' as a University in own right.) It was of course an excellent University and now is back in the fold; the two, along with (I believe) Dalton College, forming the largest campus in Europe: The University of Manchester.
I too hail from UMIST (Computation - sort of a quaint course name). We were the Tech side, yes. Much more modern and go ahead than the parent Uni...:)

Now all part of a huge campus.

keiths
19-08-2011, 15:25
I too hail from UMIST (Computation - sort of a quaint course name)

My degree certificate says 'computation' too which I hate - I always refer to it as 'computing'.

Beechwoods
19-08-2011, 17:59
I went to a Poly... South Bank Poly but it was a great few years and by the time I graduated it had become a University!

Rare Bird
19-08-2011, 18:08
I was very brainy at school but thick as two short planks. superb at English but dreadfull at grammar/spelling :scratch:

Excelled in TD, Woodworking/metalworking & Art/Design