PDA

View Full Version : Oyaide mat

colinB
17-08-2011, 21:55
David at Mains cables r us kindly sent a Oyaide mat to test on my Technics.
I had a 2 hour listening session tonight to get to grips with it.
My first impressions are very good. I had a very enjoyable play which i havent had for a while , partly due to some neighnour problems. Theres nothing i didnt like and plenty i did.
I think it does need a weight just by the way its designed. The 1 degree recess is noticable when you put a weight doen on the record. My weight is copper 400gm with a locking collar. The surface area that contacts with the record is a narrow lip not the whole of the underside of the clamp. Not sure if thats the best design, most weights use the whole area to come into contact.
The mat is flawless in construction with a chamfered edge that fits the platter lip neatly and there is a recess for the label. Using a badly warped record i filmed before and after using the weight and it makes a big difference with the arm tracking, you can even see the shape of the warp change with the weight in place. I dont know if the Oyaide weight would add any thing over mine but judging by previous members comments it does the job well.
I like this mat a lot and can see me getting very attached to it. Nice to try it out before taking a risk. My Herbies mat was a disappointment over the rubber mat so its a nice result. Many thanks to David for the loan.

WOStantonCS100
17-08-2011, 22:28
David at Mains cables r us kindly sent a Oyaide mat to test on my Technics.
I had a 2 hour listening session tonight to get to grips with it.
My first impressions are very good. I had a very enjoyable play which i havent had for a while , partly due to some neighnour problems. Theres nothing i didnt like and plenty i did.
I think it does need a weight just by the way its designed. The 1 degree recess is noticable when you put a weight doen on the record. My weight is copper 400gm with a locking collar. The surface area that contacts with the record is a narrow lip not the whole of the underside of the clamp. Not sure if thats the best design, most weights use the whole area to come into contact.
The mat is flawless in construction with a chamfered edge that fits the platter lip neatly and there is a recess for the label. Using a badly warped record i filmed before and after using the weight and it makes a big difference with the arm tracking, you can even see the shape of the warp change with the weight in place. I dont know if the Oyaide weight would add any thing over mine but judging by previous members comments it does the job well.
I like this mat a lot and can see me getting very attached to it. Nice to try it out before taking a risk. My Herbies mat was a disappointment over the rubber mat so its a nice result. Many thanks to David for the loan.

This is with the stock platter, right?

colinB
17-08-2011, 22:31
Yes directly on the stock platter. It passes the flick test. Its quiet heavy.

WOStantonCS100
17-08-2011, 22:39
Yes directly on the stock platter. It passes the flick test. Its quiet heavy.

Do you feel you'll eventually move to a platter change or will you stick with this combo?

Are you using the stock bearing?

Sorry, for all the questions; but, I'm at the point where I'm mulling (obsessing really) over where to take my 1200 next. All in good fun. :)

colinB
17-08-2011, 22:44
Platter change is to expensive for me and the Oyaide ticks some boxes i think are important for a mat design. I would like a better baring sometime. I can see how this could be improved.

DSJR
18-08-2011, 10:09
The stock bearing seems adequate for the mass of the original platter and, I suspect, as long as the thrust plate is charged with a viscous type of oil, wear may not be an issue. Adding a lot of mass to the platter - i.e. metal "mat" and clamp/weight, may stress the bearing a touch too far in the long term (I don't know), so I suspect here is where the Mike New bearing could be considered, or at least, the Timestep one, which claims better oil retention at least?

worrasf
18-08-2011, 11:10
I suspect here is where the Mike New bearing could be considered, or at least, the Timestep one, which claims better oil retention at least?

The Vantage Audio bearing has a custom oil retaining collar that does a perfect job of retaining the oil and also has an upgraded thrust pad - for the price it's a no brainer :)

Steve

Tarzan
18-08-2011, 11:21
Colin, if you like the Oyaide mat, try it with the Oyaide weight...........;)

colinB
18-08-2011, 12:05
I appreciate the design of the mat but i have trouble understanding why the weight is different from say my weight. I could be wrong but it appears like its over engineered and hence the price. I would be happy to be proven wrong.

Tarzan
18-08-2011, 17:19
I appreciate the design of the mat but i have trouble understanding why the weight is different from say my weight. I could be wrong but it appears like its over engineered and hence the price. I would be happy to be proven wrong.
Agree totally, l was shocked too......:eyebrows:

MCRU
18-08-2011, 19:41

It's not over engineered Colin it is just well engineered, you can even remove some of the weights and experiment with carbon pipes instead of the aluminium ones, a tweakers delight!

I am going Garrard for a few weeks so you can borrow my weight not a problem.

colinB
18-08-2011, 21:12
That would be interesting. Im enjoying the mat. You might have to send me a tin of beans as well the way this is going.

MCRU
20-08-2011, 20:16
Don't worry I do 0% finance....:)

MCRU
24-08-2011, 16:15
Are you weightless now Colin or not :)

colinB
24-08-2011, 19:07
Thanks David. Arrived this morning. Comparing it with a Archomat at the moment and getting to the point of mat fatigue. Might be best to just play some records and see if i miss it when i take it of later.
One thing im noticing , with the funk mat the midrange appears recessed compared with the oyaide. With the oyaide in place vocals seem more powerful.
I played a badly warped record with the new weight and the arm calmed down significantly from bobbing up and down like a mad one so it does work.
Back to the listening.;)

Tarzan
25-08-2011, 21:35
So what do the Carbon pipes bring to the party over the standard ones David?:) Got any piccys:)

MCRU
25-08-2011, 21:37
There you go. (http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/hi-fi-equipment-supports/95-oyaide-stb-cm-carbon-pipes.html)

MCRU
25-08-2011, 21:38
:)what did I tell you about those shivas mate?

drrd
27-08-2011, 08:12
Wooo 'carbon pipes' :) like the ones on my road bike:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/SearchResults.aspx?Search=carbon+spacer