PDA

View Full Version : Mean Macdonalds

Dominic Harper
17-08-2011, 18:32
Just thought I would post this story that happend to Dom and I today. We were in Macdonalds in Chorley Lancashire getting the usual big mac. This man ordered a cheeseburger and asked if he could have a smurf toy for his little girl. The little girl was in macdonalds but he didnt order her any food because she was going swimming and he would get her something to eat after swimming. He asked the young lad who was serving if he could have a smurf toy for his daughter, and the guy said he couldn't let him have one, but he would have to pay. The man said he wasn't prepared to pay for it and thought it was just mean of the young lad as this toy in total cost 99p. I heard the whole conversation and in the end Dom and I bought the little girl the smurf 99p toy. I cannot believe how tight macdonalds were over this toy and they kept saying to the gentleman that they couldn't let him have one for free. It was quite obvious the man didnt have a lot of money and maybe just enough to take her swimming. The man offered to pay us for the toy, but we said no as it was our pleasure. What's this mean world coming to?

Natalie and Dominic

worthingpagan
17-08-2011, 18:36
Just thought I would post this story that happend to Dom and I today. We were in Macdonalds in Chorley Lancashire getting the usual big mac. This man ordered a cheeseburger and asked if he could have a smurf toy for his little girl. The little girl was in macdonalds but he didnt order her any food because she was going swimming and he would get her something to eat after swimming. He asked the young lad who was serving if he could have a smurf toy for his daughter, and the guy said he couldn't let him have one, but he would have to pay. The man said he wasn't prepared to pay for it and thought it was just mean of the young lad as this toy in total cost 99p. I heard the whole conversation and in the end Dom and I bought the little girl the smurf 99p toy. I cannot believe how tight macdonalds were over this toy and they kept saying to the gentleman that they couldn't let him have one for free. It was quite obvious the man didnt have a lot of money and maybe just enough to take her swimming. The man offered to pay us for the toy, but we said no as it was our pleasure. What's this mean world coming to?

Natalie and Dominic

A selfish, mean, Tory orientated "i'm alright jack" society?

SCIDB
17-08-2011, 18:38
Hi,

Are these toys free normally?

Thing Fish
17-08-2011, 18:44
Mc Donalds is shite anyway. I try never to darken its greasy portals.

Dominic Harper
17-08-2011, 19:09
Hi,

Are these toys free normally?

The toys are usually free when you buy a kiddies meal.

Natalie

Beechwoods
17-08-2011, 19:14
A selfish, mean, Tory orientated "i'm alright jack" society?

It's really is quite extraordinary how the government have managed to achieve so much in the 15 or so months they've been in power :whistle:

Clive
17-08-2011, 19:27
deleted

SCIDB
17-08-2011, 19:53
The toys are usually free when you buy a kiddies meal.

Natalie

Hi Natalie,

I'm not sure why you are surprised by MacDonalds not giving a toy away. If the kid is coming back later for a meal, she could have got it then.

worthingpagan
17-08-2011, 21:21
What a bollox remark that is :rolleyes:

You're right.......what I meant to say was, a mean selfish capitalist tory "i'm alright Jack" society. Thanks for bring that to my attention, dim, sorry, Tim :finger:

Marco
17-08-2011, 21:27
Mark,

I must ask you to remove that post (and your other one which preceded it), otherwise I will remove them for you. I'm getting rather tired of your insistence in turning off-topic discussions into a political argument. Your behaviour is repeatedly becoming unacceptably inflammatory.

Kindly desist, or I may have to take some punitive action!

Marco.

Spectral Morn
17-08-2011, 21:54

Natalie and Dominic

That was a lovely thing to do. Good on you both.

Regards D S D L

WOStantonCS100
17-08-2011, 22:10

+1

Corporate bean counter mentality forced on it's employees. Time to bring back the mum and pop shops.

keiths
17-08-2011, 22:29

I've only ever been in once. Meal of a lifetime - never again.

Alex_UK
17-08-2011, 22:34
That was very mean. I'd like to say that I will never ever have a sausage egg McMuffin for breakfast ever again - but as it is a franchise, it would be very harsh to punish the Suffolk establishments for the misdemeanours of a Lancashire one... ;)

We always knew Dom & Nat were big softies - I just hope you're not expecting the little girl to come home with you now to live in your vacant garage? ;)

WOStantonCS100
17-08-2011, 22:36
We call that stuff "gut bombs". I actually can't (and don't) eat the stuff anymore. It's been several years; weaned myself off as I was growing quite portly, somewhat ill-mannered and just a bit ornery.

goraman
18-08-2011, 01:44
We take our son Conner to Mc Donald's once a week and get him a Happy meal w the smurf toy, the toy theims change all the time. Mc Donald's has an awesome indoor play structure and after he eats it's a big deal for him to play there.
The toys are supposed to come with happy meals and some are so popular to collectors that they started selling them.
They have some very tuff rules to protect them from law suits as Mc Donald's is a popular target.
Had they given the toy to her for free and not another kid it would cost them millions in court. They can't make exceptions or sooner or later they will be sued.
It's not Mc Donald's who are mean but lawyers and people wanting something for nothing.

Please keep in mind that Mc Donalds runs Ronald Mc Donalds house for kids,and has contributed to meany other Nobel causes.
http://rmhc.org/what-we-do/ronald-mcdonald-house/

webby
18-08-2011, 06:50
We take our son Conner to Mc Donald's once a week and get him a Happy meal w the smurf toy, the toy theims change all the time. Mc Donald's has an awesome indoor play structure and after he eats it's a big deal for him to play there.
The toys are supposed to come with happy meals and some are so popular to collectors that they started selling them.
They have some very tuff rules to protect them from law suits as Mc Donald's is a popular target.
Had they given the toy to her for free and not another kid it would cost them millions in court. They can't make exceptions or sooner or later they will be sued.
It's not Mc Donald's who are mean but lawyers and people wanting something for nothing.

Please keep in mind that Mc Donalds runs Ronald Mc Donalds house for kids,and has contributed to meany other Nobel causes.
http://rmhc.org/what-we-do/ronald-mcdonald-house/
Once a week!? :stalks: How old is he?

MartinT
18-08-2011, 07:13
You're right.......what I meant to say was, a mean selfish capitalist tory "i'm alright Jack" society. Thanks for bring that to my attention, dim, sorry, Tim :finger:

That's completely unnecessary. Please withdraw this remark.

EDIT: Ah, I see Marco is on the case.

Marco
18-08-2011, 09:52
Apparently Mark posted this on the AoS Facebook wall, under the name of "Bud Mad":

Bud Mad posted on The Art of Sound's Wall.
"i'm giving up posting on the forum, too many tory t*ssers and keypad heroes. ATB"

We have a zero tolerance policy on AoS for these types of inflammatory political disputes.

Mark has now been banned with immediate effect, until he apolgises and learns some manners!! The offending posts on this thread will remain as a reference for others as to what is unacceptable here.

Marco.

griffo104
18-08-2011, 10:18
My other half's daughter worked in Mcdonalds for a year recently and she has mentioned the toys.

they afree with the kiddies meals and if you give them away free with a 99p cheeseburger than the people who have just spent the full amount on a kids meal have a right to complain. Considering McDonalds past with being sued then I'm not surprised thay react like this.

To be honest the customer should not have put the worker in that position in the first place, imo.

The toys aren't free, thay are free if you order a specific meal, which if they were going back she would have had by all accounts.

It was a nice gesture to buy the toy for her but I don't see this as being mean by McDonalds

Dominic Harper
18-08-2011, 11:02
Firstly their were around 3 or 4 customers in the place, and only one of them was a child, the little girl with her father. A little girl who asked for a smurf that she wanted to take swimming with her. She wasn't in anyway askng for it as a collector:rolleyes:. Secondly as their were no other children around, the only customers who heard this was myself, Dominic and the child's father. So I hardly think that this would have caused a major court case for Macdonalds :scratch:. IMO the assistant was being mean, and could quite easily of let the little girl have a 99p smurf for free. She was extremely disappointed when her father said she couldn't have one and I don't think he had brough enough with him to pay for it, although he did offer us some money. I'm a little surprised this has turned into such a debate:scratch:. I only mentioned the story, just to let people know that a big company like macdonalds can be a little mean sometimes. And I do appreciate the work they do for the various charities they sponsor, but that has nothing to do with my comment on being mean over a 99p smurf. I just mentioned what happend to let people know there are unselfish people out there and I didn't want this to turn into some political or confrontational debate :rolleyes:. Anyway, the little girl was very happy with her smurf that cost a total of 99p, which given free would either have caused macdonalds a huge court battle or some collector going mad because he/she didn't get a collectable smurf that is worth 99p for free. Oh and BTW I'm sure the assistant was put in a very difficult position being asked for a 99p smurf figure that could cause a major court battle for macdonalds or worse have some collector going ballistic, or maybe secretly the little girl was thinking I will get that for free and in 30 years time it will be worth a fortune :scratch:. :steam: Now stop getting me mad or hidings will be given ;)

Natalie

Clive
18-08-2011, 11:10
The thing is Natalie that it seems like a 99p toy to you but if it happened in every Mac "restaurant....haha" just once per week what would be the cost? It would not surprise me if such requests were made several times per week in every outlet.

The big issue on this thread is that someone sought to politicise it......thankfully that's been stopped.

Tim
18-08-2011, 11:23
Firstly their were around 3 or 4 customers in the place, and only one of them was a child, the little girl with her father. A little girl who asked for a smurf that she wanted to take swimming with her. She wasn't in anyway askng for it as a collector:rolleyes:. Secondly as their were no other children around, the only customers who heard this was myself, Dominic and the child's father. So I hardly think that this would have caused a major court case for Macdonalds :scratch:. IMO the assistant was being mean, and could quite easily of let the little girl have a 99p smurf for free. She was extremely disappointed when her father said she couldn't have one and I don't think he had brough enough with him to pay for it, although he did offer us some money. I'm a little surprised this has turned into such a debate:scratch:. I only mentioned the story, just to let people know that a big company like macdonalds can be a little mean sometimes. And I do appreciate the work they do for the various charities they sponsor, but that has nothing to do with my comment on being mean over a 99p smurf. I just mentioned what happend to let people know there are unselfish people out there and I didn't want this to turn into some political or confrontational debate :rolleyes:. Anyway, the little girl was very happy with her smurf that cost a total of 99p, which given free would either have caused macdonalds a huge court battle or some collector going mad because he/she didn't get a collectable smurf that is worth 99p for free. Oh and BTW I'm sure the assistant was put in a very difficult position being asked for a 99p smurf figure that could cause a major court battle for macdonalds or worse have some collector going ballistic, or maybe secretly the little girl was thinking I will get that for free and in 30 years time it will be worth a fortune :scratch:. :steam: Now stop getting me mad or hidings will be given ;)

Natalie
Natalie, just ignore the nay sayers, what you did was a simple act of human kindness, nothing more, nothing less. Unfortunately that seems to have been overlooked by some :scratch:

As I said before in one of my now deleted posts -good on yer'

Clive
18-08-2011, 11:44
Natalie, just ignore the nay sayers, what you did was a simple act of human kindness, nothing more, nothing less. Unfortunately that seems to have been overlooked by some :scratch:

As I said before in one of my now deleted posts -good on yer'
I wholly agree, good on Mat and Dom.

The OP was however a downer on MacDonalds...and I'm very much a critic of MacDonalds but in the is case I don't feel it's justified to complain about their policy or the action of the individual franchise employee. And before anyone asks, I am in favour of good deeds, giving money to charity monthly and taking part in voluntary schemes.

But still - yes, good on 'yer!

Dominic Harper
18-08-2011, 11:54
Hi Guys, thanks for your kind words, I am a total softie when it comes to kids, old people and animals. I just cant resist helping. BTW Clive my name is Natalie or Nat for short if you like, Not Mat :lol:

Natalie

griffo104
18-08-2011, 12:01
Sorry but you are wrong here. they didn't purchase the product that comes with a FREE toy so why should she still be entitled to something for free ?

He wasn't willing to pay the correct price for something and thought he was still entitled to it for free.

that's just wrong.

That's a bit like when the Daily Mail give a free DVD, I'll purchase the Sun but I still want the free DVD the Mail are giving away even though I haven't purchased the right product to entitle me to the freebie.

Dominic Harper
18-08-2011, 12:13
He didn't say he was entitled to one and nor did we, he just asked if he could have one for his little girl, the assistant said no and that was that. We were the ones who thought it was mean as a 6 year old child was standing their with her bowed, anyway it was just a simple act of kindness for a little 6 year old girl. People have different opinions on this matter so I will leave it at that.

Natalie

griffo104
18-08-2011, 12:20
He didn't say he was entitled to one and nor did we, he just asked if he could have one for his little girl, the assistant said no and that was that. We were the ones who thought it was mean as a 6 year old child was standing their with her bowed, anyway it was just a simple act of kindness for a little 6 year old girl. People have different opinions on this matter so I will leave it at that.

Natalie

Not having a go at what you did but the fact you are calling a working 'mean' for doing his job. It's not mean, it's in black and white. He should not have asked for the free gift in the first place.

If he was going in later to buy a kids meal they would have gotten the gift. so no problems.

the assistant is doing their job, and they are not being mean.

As you say we have different opinions on this but you shouldn't accuse people of being mean when they aren't giving free things away when they shouldn't be.

As I mentioned by step daughter worked in MacDonalds they regularly got abuse from customers who wanted the free gift and weren't willing to pay the price for the product in question, which is totally unreasonable. The gentleman wasn't being rude but then you shouldn't accuse the worker of being mean.

As you say we are different in our opinions here.

Of course being in business yourself I'll have to remember if I ever pop in to your place to bring a small child in to making you feel the need for an act of kindness.

Clive
18-08-2011, 12:28
Hi Guys, thanks for your kind words, I am a total softie when it comes to kids, old people and animals. I just cant resist helping. BTW Clive my name is Natalie or Nat for short if you like, Not Mat :lol:

Natalie
Apologies Natalie! I have no reason to think you want a gender reassignment, I've always been lousy at reading what I type and my new wireless keyboard with narrow key spacing doesn't help.

goraman
18-08-2011, 12:35
Once a week!? :stalks: How old is he?

2 years old.
It's a great place for him to play.
The play structure there is off the hook cool.

goraman
18-08-2011, 12:47

Natalie

Employees can NOT make judgment calls over riding company policy,the issue is liability,I'd like a new car too but no one gives them away. A good lesson for kids is "you don't always get what you want" when you want it.

My son is 2 years old and we give him alot but not every thing he wants.
That's real life.

Look at the bigger picture from a company who has to spend millions every year to fight stupid law suits from the scum of the earth.

Every year 3 months before Christmas people pretend to slip and fall sewing them and rushing cases to get paid out before Dec 25.

Mc Donald's has to make a huge budget to settle with these vermin.

I really think your complaint is a silly one.

webby
18-08-2011, 14:28
2 years old.
There's nowhere else to take him without the lure of a burger?

webby
18-08-2011, 14:43
2 years old.

Sheesh, McDonalds sure start 'em off young don't they? A soft play area in a fast food restaurant establishment? Think about it man, it's crazy.

WOStantonCS100
18-08-2011, 15:20
Employees can NOT make judgment calls over riding company policy,the issue is liability,I'd like a new car too but no one gives them away. A good lesson for kids is "you don't always get what you want" when you want it.

My son is 2 years old and we give him alot but not every thing he wants.
That's real life.

Look at the bigger picture from a company who has to spend millions every year to fight stupid law suits from the scum of the earth.

Every year 3 months before Christmas people pretend to slip and fall sewing them and rushing cases to get paid out before Dec 25.

Mc Donald's has to make a huge budget to settle with these vermin.

I really think your complaint is a silly one.

This is a failure of our legal and justice system. Too many fraudulent cases have not been thrown out of court; because, someone stands to make money win or lose. Root cause; this needs to be fixed. This has demanded a limited liability response from corporations and, quite frankly, a failure of humanity. At some point human beings at every level of business and in every walk of life are going to have to forcefully take back the right to be kind and considerate, not to arseholes; but to those who have made no offense toward them.

We keep putting up "the corporation" must do this or "the government" must do that or "the people" must do the other thing because it's easier to overshoot the whole dang thing and completely blow by the fact that what we are talking about is people interacting with other people. The person behind the counter at McDonald's is a person with a name and the customer and the child are individual persons with names. It's so much easier to dehumanize and justify behavior that we know to go against the grain of living peacably and in a considerate manner with each other if we tag "the group". The little kid is just a consumer and rules are rules, corporate objectives are corporate objectives and we could be sued. So, let's just cower in a corner and build a wall around us.

This kind of mentality is speeding the whole world down the poop shoot. But, I'll be damned if I won't give a well behaved kid in my shop a gumball even if it costs me 25 cents and sure won't stop me from keeping my quarter in my pocket while waiting for a little brat to leave.

goraman
18-08-2011, 22:46
This is a failure of our legal and justice system. Too many fraudulent cases have not been thrown out of court; because, someone stands to make money win or lose. Root cause; this needs to be fixed. This has demanded a limited liability response from corporations and, quite frankly, a failure of humanity. At some point human beings at every level of business and in every walk of life are going to have to forcefully take back the right to be kind and considerate, not to arseholes; but to those who have made no offense toward them.

We keep putting up "the corporation" must do this or "the government" must do that or "the people" must do the other thing because it's easier to overshoot the whole dang thing and completely blow by the fact that what we are talking about is people interacting with other people. The person behind the counter at McDonald's is a person with a name and the customer and the child are individual persons with names. It's so much easier to dehumanize and justify behavior that we know to go against the grain of living peacably and in a considerate manner with each other if we tag "the group". The little kid is just a consumer and rules are rules, corporate objectives are corporate objectives and we could be sued. So, let's just cower in a corner and build a wall around us.

This kind of mentality is speeding the whole world down the poop shoot. But, I'll be damned if I won't give a well behaved kid in my shop a gumball even if it costs me 25 cents and sure won't stop me from keeping my quarter in my pocket while waiting for a little brat to leave.

The deeper your pockets the bigger target you become.
Not much money suing a Mom & Pop store but the golden arches mean big money for lazy self centered opportunists.
It's sad but it's the world we live in.