PDA

View Full Version : Something to thank Hi-Fi World... ideas here please!

Filterlab
27-10-2008, 12:29
Okey dokey, if you've been following the recent thread in Blank Canvas you'll know that Hi-Fi World magazine (namely David Price) has kindly run an article on The Art of Sound forum which is due to appear in the December 2008 edition.

As this will undoubtedly be of huge advantage to the forum, we would like to reciprocate Hi-Fi World's kindness in some way, but how? What can we do that will be truly beneficial to Hi-Fi World?

Please pop your ideas in this thread and once there's a few good'uns we'll run a poll to find the most popular.

GO! :)

anthonyTD
27-10-2008, 12:47
Okey dokey, if you've been following the recent thread in Blank Canvas you'll know that Hi-Fi World magazine (namely David Price) has kindly run an article on The Art of Sound forum which is due to appear in the December 2008 edition.

As this will undoubtedly be of huge advantage to the forum, we would like to reciprocate Hi-Fi World's kindness in some way, but how? What can we do that will be truly beneficial to Hi-Fi World?

Please pop your ideas in this thread and once there's a few good'uns we'll run a poll to find the most popular.

buy a copy:lolsign:

Filterlab
27-10-2008, 12:48
That goes without saying of course! :)

Beechwoods
27-10-2008, 12:55
We could offer free sign-up to AOS to any Hi-Fi World readers ;) :doh:

Filterlab
27-10-2008, 13:05
We could offer free sign-up to AOS to any Hi-Fi World readers ;) :doh:

Nice one. :D

Neil McCauley
27-10-2008, 17:15

You could do something like this: http://blog.listencarefully.co.uk/?p=3679

---//---

Filterlab
28-10-2008, 08:29
You could do something like this: http://blog.listencarefully.co.uk/?p=3679

---//---

That's a good idea, cheers.

muffinman
28-10-2008, 17:59
Is a hifi world banner too obvious?
Also, a sticky 'discuss this months issue' thread could garner interest.

Marco
28-10-2008, 18:10
Great ideas, Gareth! We'll arrange to implement both of those :)

Marco.

Filterlab
28-10-2008, 19:03
Is a hifi world banner too obvious?
Also, a sticky 'discuss this months issue' thread could garner interest.

Superb ideas!

Beechwoods
28-10-2008, 19:52
Definitely a good one. I don't buy Hi-Fi mags generally, but if I knew what was in the latest issue I might be tempted.

shane
28-10-2008, 20:33
I'm a little puzzled by all this. Isn't there already a connection between HiFi World and the World (as in HiFi World, originally) Designs forum? Are they going to be recommending two forums?

Neil McCauley
28-10-2008, 20:59

Okay, got it. Lobby to get David Price to be declared a Saint, with the proviso that he doesn't have to die beforehand. How's that then?

---//---

Marco
28-10-2008, 21:25
I'm a little puzzled by all this. Isn't there already a connection between HiFi World and the World (as in HiFi World, originally) Designs forum? Are they going to be recommending two forums?

No, I don't think so. This is just our way of thanking Hi-fi World for publishing an article about the forum and trying to give them something back. We would like to foster a good relationship between AOS and Hi-fi World though, which I'm sure will be the case, and perhaps take part in some joint ventures in the future that would be of benefit to both of us :)

Marco.

Filterlab
29-10-2008, 10:23
Okay, got it. Lobby to get David Price to be declared a Saint, with the proviso that he doesn't have to die beforehand. How's that then?

---//---

That's good, I'll get my chopper... er... sword out. ;)

anthonyTD
29-10-2008, 13:26
YOU HAVENT SEEN WHAT HE'S WRITTEN YET...:lolsign:

Filterlab
29-10-2008, 13:51
YOU HAVENT SEEN WHAT HE'S WRITTEN YET...:lolsign:

Oh yeah, good thinking matey! He could go on to call us a bunch of half-arsed, feckwitted, baloney spewing, numptie, idiot morons and we're discussing how to say thanks! :lol:

Mike
29-10-2008, 16:34
That would be very preceptive of Mr Price! :lolsign:

greenhomeelectronics
29-10-2008, 17:03
Well if he is anything less than complimentary we could always get him an interview on the Russel Brand show.

Beechwoods
29-10-2008, 19:34
What Russell Brand show?

Mike
29-10-2008, 21:30
What Russell Brand show?

His arse? :eyebrows:

The Grand Wazoo
01-11-2008, 12:07
Okey dokey, if you've been following the recent thread in Blank Canvas you'll know that Hi-Fi World magazine (namely David Price) has kindly run an article on The Art of Sound forum...........

............As this will undoubtedly be of huge advantage to the forum, we would like to reciprocate Hi-Fi World's kindness in some way, but how? What can we do that will be truly beneficial to Hi-Fi World?

Please correct me if I'm barking up the wrong tree, or being a boring old fart or worse but this forum is stuffed full of discussions about how the press can or can't be influenced in reviews by the advertising budgets of the companies who's gear is being reviewed.

A magazine is going to publish an article about this forum & people are discussing how the forum might do something that "will be truly beneficial to Hi-Fi World" - Isn't that exactly the same thing as a practice (existing or not) that has been thoroughly derided on this site?

Marco
01-11-2008, 12:29
TG, 'magazines will be magazines', I guess. This is specifically about the kind gesture of Hi-fi World in terms of helping us promote AOS, which as I'm sure you'll agree is of great benefit to the forum and an excellent endorsement of our achievements :)

It proves that we're going in the right direction. Could you see any of the other main UK audio forums being featured in a magazine in this way where 'bun fights' and endless repetitive arguments occur with monotonous regularity?

Any other issues apart from the thread topic are for another time and place.

Marco.

The Grand Wazoo
01-11-2008, 12:36
Undoubtedly it will be of great benefit to the forum, but how will it look if the magazine is seen to be benefiting from having published some nice words about you?

I can't see how it differs from the discussions about advertising.

Filterlab
01-11-2008, 12:45
Undoubtedly it will be of great benefit to the forum, but how will it look if the magazine is seen to be benefiting from having published some nice words about you?

It'll look like enthusiasts thanking other enthusiasts for helping to spread the name of The Art of Sound. As we're not selling anything this is not a 'backhander' or anything as sinister as that, it's simply a way of saying thanks to Hi-Fi World for featuring us in their publication - it's truly beneficial for us so we should do something truly beneficial for them.

I can't see how it differs from the discussions about advertising.

It differs in that we're not selling anything or benefitting financially from anything Hi-Fi World publish, nor are Hi-Fi World benefitting financially from publishing information about our forum (i.e. we're not paying them). Sheesh, must politics follow every single thing including saying 'thanks' intangibly?

The Grand Wazoo
01-11-2008, 12:49
What on earth is wrong with doing that - just saying thanks?

That way, the magazine can never be accused of improprietry.

Marco
01-11-2008, 12:49
TG,

I see where you're coming from, but trust me that won't be an issue. We're the first UK audio forum that's been featured in a national, well-established, hi-fi magazine. Whatever benefits come from that in terms of exposing AOS to a wider audience is all we're interested in; if we can add some value to HFW in some way as a gesture of our appreciation then all good and well :)

We're looking at having a clickable banner on the forum homepage advertising HFW, and perhaps doing a regular monthly feature on specific topics and/or interesting reviews of equipment featured in the magazine.

What suggestions do you have of how to give something back to HFW? I'd be interested in your thoughts. Let's keep this positive!

Marco.

StanleyB
01-11-2008, 12:52
Please correct me if I'm barking up the wrong tree, or being a boring old fart or worse but this forum is stuffed full of discussions about how the press can or can't be influenced in reviews by the advertising budgets of the companies who's gear is being reviewed.

Very soon Technics is going to bring out a 1200 similar to the one from Marco, and Denon is going to release a nude version of their DL103. And those are just two of the items this forum is stuffed full of that manufacturers have been influenced by after reading all about it in AoS.

Stan

Marco
01-11-2008, 12:57
Are they really, Stan - where did you get that information from? :)

Or is it just wishful thinking? ;)

Marco.

Filterlab
01-11-2008, 12:57
What on earth is wrong with doing that - just saying thanks?

That way, the magazine can never be accused of improprietry.

Why would they be accused of impropriety? This 'thank you' is very different from say a manufacturer paying for absurd levels of advertising space in exchange for a favourable review (which would be improper - but hell, that's business for some).

Marco
01-11-2008, 13:00
Indeed. Me thinks TGW is looking into things too deeply with a cynical eye! ;)

Marco.

StanleyB
01-11-2008, 13:01
Are they really, Stan - where did you get that information from? :)

Or is it just wishful thinking? ;)

Marco.
I read it on AoS:lolsign:.

Filterlab
01-11-2008, 13:05
Indeed. Me thinks TGW is looking into things too deeply with a cynical eye! ;)

Marco.

Indeed. But with my experience of business I can understand how such 'thanks' could be viewed with cynicism.

Marco
01-11-2008, 13:09
Me too! But it has no relevance whatsoever here.

Marco.

The Grand Wazoo
01-11-2008, 13:10
TG,

I see where you're coming from, but trust me that won't be an issue. .............
..........What suggestions do you have of how to give something back to HFW? I'd be interested in your thoughts. Let's keep this positive!

I still have every copy of hi-fi world that has ever been published. They have given me years of interesting, informative entertainment, and many leads on fine bits of hi-fi gear. I even won £1600 worth of Naim CDI from a competition they ran in the early 90's and used it regularly till just a year or so ago.

Perhaps this will make it clear that I have no beef with Hi-Fi World.

Quite the opposite............ I would not like to think that they would be put in a position where they might have to explain improprietry.

In my (resolutely non audio) professional life I have had industry journal articles written about me and the work I have done. My work has also been discussed in reports commissioned by Govt. departments. all of this I have benefited from in some way or other & I have never solicited any of this attention in any way. But - and it's a big but I would never dream of offering anything to the publication, organisation or individual responsible for the exposure I got.
(.......honest your honour, I didn't realise I was exposing my big butt..........)

They are doing their jobs (and by the way, being paid to do so)

If things are offered, tangible or not, all parties leave themselves open to the kind of criticism that we have all seen.

Filterlab
01-11-2008, 13:16
Me too! But it has no relevance whatsoever here.

Marco.

Exactly! Cynicism free zone, well as near as possible. :)

StanleyB
01-11-2008, 13:21
AoS has in my case had a positive outcome on some other forums. On the one forum we mention with whispered voices and in riddles, the success of AoS has been causing a less sudden reaction with regards to deleting any reference of my name or my product. I assume that is because forum folks want to read things that they find of interest, not what the admin and mods force them to discuss. There are forums where a low key approach is being practised, and I frequent one of them on a weekly basis just to catch up. Surprisingly, there is even a rare bird (:mental:) there:eyebrows:. Some other forums that have been running far longer than AoS have become like sterile enclosures, devoid of any sense and purpose. When that happens, it's time to move one and find new kicks.

Marco
01-11-2008, 13:22
TGW,

I see what you mean. I just wouldn't have thought like that because in terms of the forum such stuff doesn't enter my head!

Basically, we don't want to things to end just with a quick "Thank you". We would like to work together with HFW as much as possible without any predetermined financial reward for either party!

Doing so I feel makes the forum more interesting and informative, and perhaps also the magazine, too :)

Marco.

Filterlab
01-11-2008, 13:26
It was always our aim to let people just discuss what they want about hi-fi without having a load of unwritten rules and unmentionable products, it makes for a nice place to discuss things. After all, hi-fi encompasses much more than just certain sources and products so it's only right to allow discussion of anything within those parameters. There won't be anything hi-fi related that's not discussed on here, heck even Phil was chatting about his ADM9s yesterday. :)

I'm glad this place makes you feel welcome and relaxed Stan.

We would like to work together with HFW as much as possible without any predetermined financial reward for either party!

I will just add that us admin folk don't run this place for financial gain or reward, between us we fund the web space, URL, image hosting, printing, design and maintenance just because we're passionate about hi-fi and we like others to benefit from having a retreat from hi-fi related politics and rules.

Boy we're good to hi-fi enthusiasts!

The Grand Wazoo
01-11-2008, 13:26
I'd like to hear Hi-Fi World's opinion on this - perhaps DP would like to offer a comment. He's the one who has to defend the honour of the magazine, after all.

Marco
01-11-2008, 13:41
I'm sure David will be along at some point to offer this thoughts :)

Marco.

Marco
01-11-2008, 14:13
Stan,

AoS has in my case had a positive outcome on some other forums. On the one forum we mention with whispered voices and in riddles, the success of AoS has been causing a less sudden reaction with regards to deleting any reference of my name or my product.

LOL. Spit it out, mate. Are you referring to Wigwam? If so, I wasn't aware of any ban on the mentioning of AOS. If that's the case I'll be very disappointed.

It's time people moved on and left the past where it belongs. We're only going to get bigger, talked about, and consequently even more influential as time progresses, so if other forums don't embrace the fact that we exist it will be counterproductive to them in the long run as folk get fed up of not being able to discuss things mentioned here and leave to join us where there are no such restrictions. Trust me, the plans we have in place for next year will ensure that AOS and what's being discussed there will remain a 'hot topic', so our presence will be felt more and more...

The fact is people don't like being gagged, and will only rebel in the end. We're not going away, so it's pointless trying to brush us under the carpet or do a 'King Canute'. My message to any 'rival' forum administrators would be to accept our existence and deal with it positively.

I assume that is because forum folks want to read things that they find of interest, not what the admin and mods force them to discuss.

Indeed! - As I have just explained. On AOS we would much rather that all the forums worked together for a common aim. It's not about a 'competition' - we should all be helping each other. I'm not in this for the 'fame and fortune'!

There are forums where a low key approach is being practised, and I frequent one of them on a weekly basis just to catch up. Surprisingly, there is even a rare bird () there.

TXN, I presume? I have no problem with them if they have no problem with us. It's a good forum if you enjoy its particular 'flavour'.

Some other forums that have been running far longer than AoS have become like sterile enclosures, devoid of any sense and purpose. When that happens, it's time to move one and find new kicks.

I completely agree and Zerogain is a case in point. You may as well say who you mean and stop being cryptic ;)

As long as there's no blatant out-and-out slagging of other forums then our members are allowed to offer their constructive criticism. Perhaps those in charge elsewhere reading the comments will take notice...

Marco.

StanleyB
01-11-2008, 15:07
Stan,

LOL. Spit it out, mate. Are you referring to Wigwam? If so, I wasn't aware of any ban on the mentioning of AOS.

Not AoS, but Beresford...

Marco
01-11-2008, 15:38
Well, IMO, that's just plain silly and something which could end up backfiring on them. Then again, I don't know the history of what happened.

The fact is though allowing Beresford to be discussed here is having a positive, not a negative effect, so I can't see why it couldn't be the same on Wigwam. Maybe it's an ego thing... I can never understand why some people won't move on and let bygones be bygones :confused:

Marco.