PDA

View Full Version : Lockwood recone from HPD to PRESTIGE

adrian
13-08-2011, 21:43
Hi Everyone
I joined this forum some months ago,but, because my house moving went into meltdown (chain) I haven't been able to follow up the audio hobby of late .Still can't, really,as yet.
I have been reading with great interest the posts about Lockwood Majors and Tannoys.

I have a set of Tannoy cabs built in the 70's to BERKELY Spec. In them were 15'' Tannoy hpd's.(8 hole) I had them reconed to PRESTIGE spec. by Roger at Lockwood and the x-overs checked out .They were fine.

I had a chance to run them before I packed up the hifi gear for the (yet to happen)move with my JLH monoblocks and they sounded just GREAT !!!

Would putting these drivers ( now prestige spec) in Lockwood MAJOR cabinets take them up to another level? Or is it overkill? I would love to get hold of and restore a pair of MAJORS,or build new ones(no blueprint plans though). I did see on the forum that someone had done something like this and re tuned the cabs to T&S spec,giving a further improvement .

Any advice would be much appreciated!! I had condsidered building the GRF=R but decided against that.

Thanks ......... from ADRIAN

Marco
13-08-2011, 21:53
Hi Adrian,

Welcome to AoS! :)

Before others and I answer your query, could you please pop into the Welcome area and introduce yourself to our community, by telling us where you're from, what your system is and what music you like?

This is required by all new members (and indeed was outlined in the registration process) - then we'll get to your Lockwood query, mate. Cheers! :cool:

Marco.

Reid Malenfant
14-08-2011, 19:01
Hi Adrian, do you know the thiele/small parameters of the reconed drivers? If so lets be having them. FS, QTS & VAS will suffice :)

Also do you know the internal volume of the Lockwood Majors & the enclosure tuning frequency? If so lets be having them to, then we can work out what the speakers would be capable of ;)

adrian
14-08-2011, 21:57
Hello Mark

I don't know the tech. details of the prestige or the Major cab. .............

ADRIAN

Reid Malenfant
14-08-2011, 22:07
I'd suggest you get in touch with those that reconed them ;) They should be able to supply you with the relevant details, if they cant then they are not worth dealing with imo :rolleyes:

How a driver works in any cabinet/enclosure is entirely dependant on Thieile/Small parameters, this is not some voodoo shite, it's science & how things work ;)

DSJR
15-08-2011, 11:31
Fella's, from info on t'interweb, I remember the HPD's had less damping due to the foam surrounds, which, if I've got it right, would give more bass from a smaller box at the sacrifice of a couple of db sensitivity (not an issue TBH by the mid 70's).

Putting the drivers back to better-than-new spec (IMO) will make these a perfect fit into the Major style cabs, as the extra cabinet volume will restore the bass extension, which may be a bit truncated by using the smaller Berkeley cabs. I seem to remember that the "classic" Gold 15" drivers needed 300 Ltr cabinets, which the Lockwood Major's must have I'd have thought?

adrian
15-08-2011, 13:28
Hi
Thanks for the replies.That sounds encouraging.Earlier today ,before I got your replies,I sent an e mail to Roger at Lockwoods.I hope to hear soon.

REGARDS
ADRIAN

Marco
15-08-2011, 13:51
I seem to remember that the "classic" Gold 15" drivers needed 300 Ltr cabinets, which the Lockwood Major's must have I'd have thought?

Yup! 300L is the internal volume of my Majors, and is the minimum required in order for 15" Tannoy DCs to perform optimally. Anything less is a significant compromise.

I'll get to this discussion in more detail later :)

Marco.

Marco
15-08-2011, 16:54
Scratch that, it's 210 litres - my mistook! :doh:

See here: http://www.lockwoodaudio.co.uk/images/lockwood4_lrg.jpg

:)

Marco.

Reid Malenfant
15-08-2011, 18:16
:lol: I wondered when you were going to find out Marco ;) Doesn't matter though as the Qts of your drivers is low so they'll work a treat in smaller enclosures. If i remember right you have what appears to be an extended bass shelf response which would work fine in a small room & close to the walls...

Which is how you have them innit :)

Marco
15-08-2011, 18:32
Yup, that's exactly where they are, dude. Even at 210L, they're still bloody huge, especially in my room! Boy do they work, though :eyebrows:

Marco.

Reid Malenfant
15-08-2011, 18:44
Well you'll be pleased to know that they aren't really anything too unusual (size wise) for a 15" driver ;) You'll probably be happier to know that within hopefully 6 months i doubt anyone will be refering to your speakers as wardrobes any longer :eyebrows:

I think that'll be transfered to what i'm going to build & they'll make yours look small, but they will be housing 2 x 15" driver in each enclosure (500L each) :mental:

There is method in my madness though (& no better half to stop me!) :cool:

Marco
15-08-2011, 19:11
Sounds awesome, matey - bring it on with piccies, when you can! :eek: :cool:

Marco.

adrian
15-08-2011, 19:35
Hi Folk

The figure of 210l did spring to mind,but I wasn't sure. I have seen pics of 300l cabs and they are massive. Thanks for letting me know.

RGDS
adrian

adrian
17-08-2011, 17:11
Hi

I haven't managed to get the T/S info as yet,but I would like to locate an empty pair of Lockwood MAJORS, or the plans to build. Will be the first project in the new home (once this housebuying nightmare is over) .

RGDS
ADRIAN