PDA

View Full Version : Oppo Dvd Player

Historicus
26-10-2008, 18:21
Hi,
did someone test the new Oppo Dvd-players 980H or 981?
Someone here spoke about the fantastic way to play of cds or dvd-audio discs of mod. 980 H. There is a boom in selling this product here in Italy it costs only 150 pounds!
Ciao,
Piero

sastusbulbas
27-10-2008, 11:31
I have also heard good things about these players, and was recently thinking again of one, as I had a vague recollection of it maybe having a suitable output for direct digital connection to a projector I have.

I think though its performance per pound is what it should be merited on, a little like Toshiba's 220 DVD player in its day, the Oppo offers far better connections and facilities than anything in and within nearby price comparisons.

Prince of Darkness
27-10-2008, 15:04
The Oppo DV-980H was favourably reviewed in July's Hi-Fi World.
"CONCLUSION
This is a complex DVD player that offers a staggering amount of ability at an extraordinarily low price. Sound quality of CD, DVD-A and SACD via the onboard convertors and analogue outputs was good. Connected to a modern receiver via HDMI the player sounded even better, especially with SACD where it was superb. Something of a must for penny-pinching audiophiles with DVD-A and SACD collections, this is a super online bargain."

Received a maximum five globes.

Historicus
27-10-2008, 18:28
Here you can find more news and tests about Oppos:

1) The american company: http://www.oppodigital.com/

2) The shop from Sweden to buy for european users http://www.opposhop.com/

When talking about the audio performance, the DV-980H will be a better player than the DV-981HD. This is due to higher quality power supply, audiophile grade resistors and capacitors, and a single 4-layer PCB which will eliminate any electrical interference.

We no longer support direct shipment of our product to Europe due to us not being RoHS or CE certified. Only OPPOShop and other authorized European resellers can sell OPPO players, as these players have been designed with all European regulations in mind.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043

Ali Tait
01-11-2008, 16:57
Looks like an ideal candidate to be used with a Beresford for a good sounding combo for not a lot of wonga.

Labarum
02-11-2008, 19:41
I don't understand this product being marketed at this stage of the game. Apart from cost, why should it be preferred over a blu-ray player, which presumably will play a CD or DVD?

dmckean
02-11-2008, 22:20
Most Blu-ray players are dog slow. Who wants to deal with a minute and a half boot up times?

Filterlab
03-11-2008, 10:16
Most Blu-ray players are dog slow. Who wants to deal with a minute and a half boot up times?

Blimey, which BD players have you been using? All the ones I've owned so far have been very fast.

Historicus
17-11-2008, 15:56
I tried finally the Oppo DV-980H with AN silver connects the sound is brillant but it lacks on body.
The timbre is thin. Nothing referred to a good cdplayer.
The audio section of the video DVD is good and so I connected a tv with my stereo equipment and it sounds really nice, a good surrogate of records to watch and listen without getting angry.
I chose only the 2-chanels output without the 7.1 loudspeakers.
Ciao,
Piero

aka
23-11-2008, 20:45
I have had the OPPO 980H for almost a year. Got it originally as I wanted a universal that could handle watermarked DVD-A (which gave my Denon fits). Wound up preferring it to my Denon 3910 - so sold the Denon. I find it an excellent SACD, DVD-A and Redbook player. I listen in Stereo only via an Outlaw RR2150 Receiver and Axiom M80 speakers - a modest, but clean rig. Am using the OPPO strictly for audio - no video even connected. Look forward to pushing it through a Beresford DAC just for fun!

trailer
23-11-2008, 21:06
Oppo are due to release a Blu-Ray in the new year too

anubisgrau
23-11-2008, 21:54
i have 981, actually i've got it from an US friend.

it's great for video

as an audio device, let's say it's harmless. unfortunately not better even as a transport only - i used it with both of my DACs, altmann & twinDAC+ and it's dead boring, sterile, safe and unexciting. still, it's passable for a background listening on a low level, if i want to save an aged laser of my dear old philips CD160 which sounds like a 10k CDP in comparison.

though it has a RC which is something my primary CDP can only dream of...:)

could be there are systems where it may fit - doesn't sound unpleasent, just too safe.