PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Nice Chunky Power Amp

rednose66
11-08-2011, 20:01
Anyone got a nice chunky power amp they want to sell at a reasonable price - something like an MF A5 / ATC P1 / etc to power my SCM 40's?

TIA

Chivas
12-08-2011, 09:18
I am due to sell my Cambridge Audio Azur 840W soon if that would interest you.

Chivas

Vinyleyes
12-08-2011, 13:44
Anyone got a nice chunky power amp they want to sell at a reasonable price - something like an MF A5 / ATC P1 / etc to power my SCM 40's?

TIA

I will be selling my Nakamichi PA-7 soon to fund a major new purchase .. I don't particularly want to .. it is clean, uncoloured and has a terrifically tight and punchy bass output .. and has been recently set up and serviced by Nak enthusiast.
This is the epitome of a chunky power amp .. and a classic to boot .. :cool:

link to images ..

Nelson Pass derived Stasis Topology Power Amplifier - 300 Watts - 700 Watt Teroidal Transformer - Dual Rectifiers (1988-1989)

http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&source=hp&biw=1040&bih=855&q=nakamichi+PA+7&btnG=Google+Search&oq=nakamichi+PA+7&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=14007l24752l0l26256l18l16l0l0l0l0l0l0ll0l0&oi=image_result_group&sa=X

rednose66
12-08-2011, 21:21
I will be selling my Nakamichi PA-7 soon to fund a major new purchase .. I don't particularly want to .. it is clean, uncoloured and has a terrifically tight and punchy bass output .. and has been recently set up and serviced by Nak enthusiast.
This is the epitome of a chunky power amp .. and a classic to boot .. :cool:

link to images ..

Nelson Pass derived Stasis Topology Power Amplifier - 300 Watts - 700 Watt Teroidal Transformer - Dual Rectifiers (1988-1989)

http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&source=hp&biw=1040&bih=855&q=nakamichi+PA+7&btnG=Google+Search&oq=nakamichi+PA+7&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=14007l24752l0l26256l18l16l0l0l0l0l0l0ll0l0&oi=image_result_group&sa=X

Very interesting Brian! Price roughly?

Vinyleyes
13-08-2011, 12:10
PM sent Jon ... :)

Techno Commander
13-08-2011, 13:11
En excellent amp, both sonically and visually. :)

DSJR
13-08-2011, 13:21
I think we were one of the very few dealers in the UK supporting the PA7 at the time. It would tackle Isobariks at a pinch, but a more conventional load like SCM40's would be perfect for it IMO. An excellent old-school amp IMO :)

Bethelcat
14-08-2011, 14:13
I have two nakamichi PA7 beasts - both could be for sale. Both are mark I's that supposedly sound better than the II's. Both are in excellent condition and have been serviced by Chevin/Chevron Audio. I used to use them for bi-amping a pair of big Infinity speakers, by which the amps were never 'troubled'!

DSJR
14-08-2011, 15:29
I think the mk2 PA7 sounded a little bit tighter, but the family resemblance was still there and it wasn't enough to worry about I think from memory. The Mk2 PA5 was a HUGE step forward from the earlier one though IMO

I was going to suggest the evergreen Quad 606/707/early 909 as well, as they're so easy to fit and forget, sound far better than the audiophool fraternity ever really give them credit for and re-wiring and update kits are available should you wish to "blue-print" them. However, if the PA7's are around the same price on the used market and I used the system for hours per day, I think I'd go the Nak route, if only because the PA7 is so "butch" in the flesh in comparison to the breeze-block look of the Quads ;)

http://www.pbase.com/ingor/nakamichi

P.S. My valve-louder-than-transistor thread was influenced by my reminiscing over the time I compared the PA5mk2 with an ARC Classic 60 for a couple of days, the former amp having nearly triple the Wattage output per channel, yet the ARC never sounding out of breath at high volume levels.

Vinyleyes
14-08-2011, 15:41
I think we were one of the very few dealers in the UK supporting the PA7 at the time. It would tackle Isobariks at a pinch, but a more conventional load like SCM40's would be perfect for it IMO. An excellent old-school amp IMO :)

Hi Dave ... How did you rate the PA-7 against the 730 Receiver ... I have one of those too .. but that is not for sale ... It was my very first hifi amplifier. :cool:

rednose66
17-08-2011, 14:43
I have two nakamichi PA7 beasts - both could be for sale. Both are mark I's that supposedly sound better than the II's. Both are in excellent condition and have been serviced by Chevin/Chevron Audio. I used to use them for bi-amping a pair of big Infinity speakers, by which the amps were never 'troubled'!

Bethelcat, let me know if you do want to sell.

Bethelcat
20-08-2011, 09:12
Hi Jon - one of the Nakamichi PA7s is definitely for sale. Will sell both if the price is right as I'd then need to upgrade myself :-)

Amps are in excellent condition, have been serviced, had pots replaced and some noisy rectifiers upgraded - came back sounding wonderfully. They are battleship built and caps etc had a clean bill of health. They both still have the full front plates in place and have no damage to them - cooling fins and back-plates are unmarked (as is the rest of them, but these areas are the most easily damaged bits)

They are very heavy and you are most welcome to come and listen in sunny Derbyshire. One amp is currently driving a pair of Genesis 350 speakers but were previously used to biamp a pair of big Infinity RSIIb speakers, and were never troubled by them!

There is lots of info about them on line but do let me know if you want more info

Neil McCauley
20-08-2011, 13:18
Suggest you look for a Musical Fidelity P-270. Fantastic reproduction (well, my one was), bags of power and circa £300. I should never have sold mine! Hope this helps.

Regards.

Howard

PS

Trio LO7-M Monoblocks. Oldies but goldies. Hard to beat even today. eBay at between £400 and £450 usually. Prices rising now as a bit of a cult-classic.

Neil McCauley
20-08-2011, 13:23
Nakamichi PA5-E > http://bit.ly/q9tTkX

Terrific value and bomb-proof construction. Looks 'the business' too!

rednose66
20-08-2011, 16:29
Hi Jon - one of the Nakamichi PA7s is definitely for sale. Will sell both if the price is right as I'd then need to upgrade myself :-)

Amps are in excellent condition, have been serviced, had pots replaced and some noisy rectifiers upgraded - came back sounding wonderfully. They are battleship built and caps etc had a clean bill of health. They both still have the full front plates in place and have no damage to them - cooling fins and back-plates are unmarked (as is the rest of them, but these areas are the most easily damaged bits)

They are very heavy and you are most welcome to come and listen in sunny Derbyshire. One amp is currently driving a pair of Genesis 350 speakers but were previously used to biamp a pair of big Infinity RSIIb speakers, and were never troubled by them!

There is lots of info about them on line but do let me know if you want more info

Send me a PM please and let me know how much you want for the amp.

rednose66
21-08-2011, 20:56
Nakamichi PA5-E > http://bit.ly/q9tTkX

Terrific value and bomb-proof construction. Looks 'the business' too!

Howard, many thanks for your suggestions - pretty much what I had been thinking of!

DSJR
21-08-2011, 21:55
I didn't know the very big Nak receivers, but the ones I knew were good as I remember. the integrated Amp 1 and 2 were great as well, if anyone ever sees one.

The PA5 mk1 wasn't up to much, the mk2 being vastly better to my ears at the time. I think I had the NS1000's and Epos Es14's at around this time...

rednose66
21-08-2011, 22:11
I didn't know the very big Nak receivers, but the ones I knew were good as I remember. the integrated Amp 1 and 2 were great as well, if anyone ever sees one.

The PA5 mk1 wasn't up to much, the mk2 being vastly better to my ears at the time. I think I had the NS1000's and Epos Es14's at around this time...

The Amp1 and 2 were solidly built bits of kit that sounded brilliantly. My best mate bought my Amp 2 off me years ago and is still using it today.

rednose66
01-09-2011, 13:57
Many thanks for all the help guys. After a number of offers that did not pan out I will be picking up an Usher R1.2 on Sunday in London.

Spectral Morn
01-09-2011, 22:40

Welcome to AOS.

Please pop into the Welcome section and say hello to the AOS community. Tall us about yourself, system and taste in music.

Regards D S DL

technobear
02-09-2011, 21:04
http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/mint-sony-ta-9000es-power-amplifier-this-is-a-power-house-of-an-amp/87176621

:)

The Grand Wazoo
02-09-2011, 21:45
Now, that's a proper bargain!