PDA

View Full Version : Finally done it!

worrasf
11-08-2011, 14:16
I have finally managed to get the Decca to reliably and reproducibly track the final (4th) [last track side 1] of the HFN setup disc without any distortion/break up whatsoever :)

This is the first time I have manage this with any cartridge including my old MusicMaker III.

No useful information in this post - just had to tell somebody

:mex:

Steve

DSJR
11-08-2011, 15:56
Your Decca isn't "Decca-podded" yet is it? The sound seemes far more stable once it is - IMO and experience. Glad you've got it working to your satisfaction now :)

worrasf
11-08-2011, 16:20
Your Decca isn't "Decca-podded" yet is it?

No, standard Blue with plastic mount. I briefly discussed the Decapod with Brian at Presence Audio (he who serviced it and replaced suspension) and he didn't seem overly enthusiastic about using one with the Blue.
They seem awfully expensive to take a punt on :hmm:

Steve

topoxforddoc
11-08-2011, 17:51
Stephen,

Don't worry about tracking a test disc, just play it! My Schroeder/Allaerts combo gets very little play time compared to my Hadcock/Decca C4E on my Platine Verdier.

Best wishes,

MartinT
11-08-2011, 17:56
Excellent, Stephen. Diid you have to whack up the tracking weight? I find that if the third most difficult track plays ok then real music will never go into mistracking, except for THAT Telarc recording.

worrasf
11-08-2011, 18:26
Excellent, Stephen. Diid you have to whack up the tracking weight? I find that if the third most difficult track plays ok then real music will never go into mistracking, except for THAT Telarc recording.

3g is optimal as set with digital balance. At 2.8 g it mistracks track 4. You wouldn't think an old brick like a Decca Blue would be so critical of tracking force.

Steve

Barry
11-08-2011, 18:55
3g is optimal as set with digital balance. At 2.8 g it mistracks track 4. You wouldn't think an old brick like a Decca Blue would be so critical of tracking force.

Steve

I track my Blue at 3g. Wouldn't dream of using less. Haven't found any problems tracking 'real' records: I rarely use audio 'torture' tracks on test records these days - they are not needed.

Apropos that Telarc record (I'm assuming it's the Kunzel/Cincinnati version of Tchaikovsky's '1812', Telarc DG-10041), well I've never been able to track the cannons properly, regardless of cartridge used. But then it's not the best recording available, so I'm not too concerned.

worrasf
11-08-2011, 19:27
I track my Blue at 3g. Wouldn't dream of using less. Haven't found any problems tracking 'real' records: I rarely use audio 'torture' tracks on test records these days - they are not needed.
d.

No arguement from me Barry :) it's just ever since I bought a MM III from Len Gregory and he waxed lyrical about it tracking the HFN disc I've not been able to get it spot on myself :steam: - to be fair he does say on the sleeve that if it tracks the 3rd one for all intents and purposes it will track anything - it just became an obsession with me to get "perfect" tracking :eek:

But I'm better now :stalks:

Trouble is I've got my eye on a cartridge I've been after for yonks but now I'm reluctant to fiddle with the setup in case I screw it up - I used to be schizophrenic but now my minds are made up :argument:
Steve

Barry
12-08-2011, 16:40
Out of curiosity, I fished out the Telarc '1812'. The Decca (Blue) tracking at 3g, reproduced the cannon shots without problem.

That's not to say there was not some distortion, there was - but then I have tried to track it with several cartridges in the past and have even loaned the LP to others to try.

But at least the cartridge did not get thrown out of the groove. If you look, the groove almost does an abrupt right angle at one point!

For the LF junkies amongst you: the 'powder crack' has frequency lying beween 2-3KHz, whereas the following 'boom' goes all the way down to 6Hz!

MartinT
12-08-2011, 17:09
If you look, the groove almost does an abrupt right angle at one point!

Indeed it does, Barry, and no stylus could track that. It's a case of getting the best from it and even with some mistracking the sheer impact of that record is stunning.

Incidentally, I also have the SACD of the re-recording, which is also impressive. This one has a choir at the end as originally intended (I believe).

Barry
12-08-2011, 18:49
Indeed it does, Barry, and no stylus could track that. It's a case of getting the best from it and even with some mistracking the sheer impact of that record is stunning.

Incidentally, I also have the SACD of the re-recording, which is also impressive. This one has a choir at the end as originally intended (I believe).

Yes, I was afraid I might damage my Quads. :eek: Even so, I don't think it is an especially good version.

Regards