PDA

View Full Version : Philips CD100 - the original CD player

Tweedle-Dee
10-08-2011, 18:15
This was in storage for many years and I recently plugged it in and was pleasantly surprised that it read the disc fine and seemed to fire up OK. I then connected it up to my system and for a few tantalising seconds, music issued forth.....that was until distortion took over. Needless to say I instantly turned off my amp and have not tried the old CD100 since. [EDIT SEE UPDATE BELOW - NOW WORKING]

It is in good cosmetic conditions with only a few light scratches and some dulling of the brushed aluminium finish. All lights etc work, it still plays CDs, but given the above I'm guessing something must have gone in the output stage.

This is the version with the CDM0 mechanism.

I am open to offers for this piece of HiFi history.

Cheers,
TD

StanleyB
10-08-2011, 18:20
The distortion is due to the laser pickup. I'll spare you the technical stuff. Give the lens a clean and inspect it, with the unit powered OFF, that the pickup lens is nice and shiny. Then just plug an old CD in and put the player in repeat playing mode. Don't have it playing through your amp though. The laser pickup needs burning in again, and might spring back into reasonable life once it has warmed up.

Tweedle-Dee
10-08-2011, 18:44
Many thanks for that - will do and see what happens.

Much appreciated,
TD.

Beechwoods
10-08-2011, 19:22
Good looking CDP that :)

Tweedle-Dee
10-08-2011, 20:01
The distortion is due to the laser pickup. I'll spare you the technical stuff. Give the lens a clean and inspect it, with the unit powered OFF, that the pickup lens is nice and shiny. Then just plug an old CD in and put the player in repeat playing mode. Don't have it playing through your amp though. The laser pickup needs burning in again, and might spring back into reasonable life once it has warmed up.

Now working fine - sincere thanks for the advice. A quick clean of the lens with Mr Muscle window cleaner and a short burn in with Led Zep III and its playing well.

Kind regards,
TD

Beechwoods
10-08-2011, 20:01
You should really post some pics...

Reid Malenfant
10-08-2011, 20:04
A quick clean of the lens with Mr Muscle window cleaner and a short burn in with Led Zep III and its playing well.
:lolsign: Maybe Stan should have mentioned Isopropanol (Isopropyl Alcohol) as a cleaning agent...

But as long as it has done the trick.......

:cool: Nice one :)

Tweedle-Dee
10-08-2011, 20:14
You should really post some pics...

Agreed - done - please see original post. Happy to upload a few more - please just ask.

Cheers,
TD