PDA

View Full Version : What album(s) would you reissue on vinyl?

WOStantonCS100
05-08-2011, 09:17
If the world was your oyster... what album(s) would you reissue on vinyl?

(Maybe "industry insiders" will read this and grant our wishes. You never know.)

I'd start the list myself; but, it's just after 4 a.m. here and I need to power down the system and get some sleep. Cheers!

John
05-08-2011, 09:19
If recorded digitally I wouldn't as never heard one done right yet

Audioman
05-08-2011, 13:58
Everything possible from 1967 to 1974 including all those rare and not so rare prog titles that people pay silly money for. Obvious choices would be from Harvest Label - Roy Harper, Pink Floyd, BJH etc. Also Charisma gems like Clifford T Ward, Lindisfarne, Genesis - done properly from analogue masters unlike the remixed muck by the later. Fat chance that EMI could possibly get their act together and match the efforts of Warner US.

emgee
05-08-2011, 15:39
ooh, now there's a question; probably for me it would be Edgar Winter's They Only Come Out at Night; Van Halen's first album and Neil Young's Ragged Glory.

Thing Fish
05-08-2011, 15:50
Quite aptly as Amy Winehouse died recently I would like to see a decent audiophile LP version of 'Back to Black' released. I have been looking and the original vinyl release gets some not so good reviews.

Rare Bird
05-08-2011, 16:28
Hawkwind 'Warrior On The Edge Of Time' with original fold out Sheild cover but extra thick vinyl..Hold on it still needs a lagit CD release :scratch:

emgee
05-08-2011, 17:08
Hawkwind 'Warrior On The Edge Of Time' with original fold out Sheild cover but extra thick vinyl..Hold on it still needs a lagit CD release :scratch:

I have this!:)

DSJR
05-08-2011, 18:01
ooh, now there's a question; probably for me it would be Edgar Winter's They Only Come Out at Night;

The original LP of this isn't too hot - too much distortion IMO. I DO know the master of Frankenstein isn't anything like as badly distorted (we had a master copy on 15IPS tape for years at KJ) and I have a Sony SQ remix on LP that isn't either...

TBH, both LP's AND the digitals would benefit if the original session-mixdown masters for each track could be located, re-assembled and CAREFULLY remastered from there. My own preference would also be for each track to be cut on one side of a 12" 45rpm (or even 78rpm - yep, really) with limiters and band-limiting switched off.

Also, some older albums were mixed "close and mono-ish" for granny's old record-grinder, so would benefit from a re-mix IMO.

Lastly, some US cuts and pressings of US material were way in advance of the UK cuts done from tape-copies (much Steely Dan and Talking Heads I remember at the time), often because the US engineers just had this "way" with the sonics to get the vinyl to sing...

Just my convoluted thoughts right now, but often, it's worth trying to find an original, unless it's a rare and stupidly priced LP, in which case I'd try to find the CD myself, unless that too was a limited-edition run :(

Rare Bird
05-08-2011, 18:45
A good sounding new issue of Emerson, Lake & Palmer 'Brain Salad Surgery' with vinyl that thicker than the original Tortilla base thickness vinyl :D