PDA

View Full Version : Improving a TC-7510

Chunky70
05-08-2011, 08:50
Hello all!
I have a TC-7510 which has been modified over the years, and to my ears sounds incredible. But i was wondering if there is anything else could be done to improve the sound,or am i reaching the limits of this particular model? It has had the following done:
1. Wolfson dac chip
2. THS 4032 op amp
3. Rubycon 47uf caps
4. Maplin power supply
Thanks in advance for any help!

WAD62
05-08-2011, 08:55
Hello all!
I have a TC-7510 which has been modified over the years, and to my ears sounds incredible. But i was wondering if there is anything else could be done to improve the sound,or am i reaching the limits of this particular model? It has had the following done:
1. Wolfson dac chip
2. THS 4032 op amp
3. Rubycon 47uf caps
4. Maplin power supply
Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi Ian,

Looks like you're way ahead of me, I've only upgraded the PSU...:)

I started a similar thread a while back, so there may be some useful info on it...

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10601

Ali Tait
05-08-2011, 09:04
You could try the passive mod if you haven't already.

lovejoy
05-08-2011, 10:06
To my ears, bypassing the op-amps and going straight from the Wolfson Dac's output to the phono outputs (via a pair of good quality non-polarised caps) was the best upgrade of all and made the 7510 sound really natural. This will of course depend on the amp you're feeding into though.

Chunky70
05-08-2011, 14:53
Thanks for your responses guys. Am i right in thinking that the passive mod results in a lower volume output from the analogue outs? Is that not what the gator board is for, to increase gain in the other models?

sburrell
05-08-2011, 15:21
Thanks for your responses guys. Am i right in thinking that the passive mod results in a lower volume output from the analogue outs? Is that not what the gator board is for, to increase gain in the other models?
The volume will be slightly reduced, yes. However, note that afaik this mod only affects the fixed line output - the variable and headphones output will be unaffected or disabled entirely, depending on how the mod is applied.

I think your 7510 and mine have been modded equally. If you apply this mod please post your opinions. Ta :)

Chunky70
05-08-2011, 15:30
Thanks Simon. I'm very interested in this mod. Think i'll just pop the dac up to Tirna Electronics in West Linton (only 12 miles away) and let Dr Jimmy work his magic! Once i have it done i'll let you know how it is.

Ali Tait
05-08-2011, 16:37
It's worth trying different caps to get the sound you like the best.

Chunky70
05-08-2011, 16:55
It's worth trying different caps to get the sound you like the best.

What sort of caps should i be looking at?

Ali Tait
05-08-2011, 17:17
There's a question!! Depends what you like. :eyebrows:
Different caps will give different qualities to the sound. Perhaps try a decent film cap to start with. I can't really answer this for you, you need to try for yourself to see what you like.