PDA

View Full Version : Rcm

snapper
05-02-2008, 12:56
For those that use vinyl,how do you clean your records?

Colinx
05-02-2008, 13:26
Okki Nokki (what a name) art du son cleaning fluid, normal record brush before playing. The Okki is probably the biggest upgrade the vinyl side of my system has had. It noisey when in use, as in domestic vacuum cleaner levels, but it does a very good job. All albums get cleaned, new ones get a quick wet wash and vac, secondhand stuff gets a better wet cleaning, then vac. Shifts the muck and shifts a lot of the static. Pop them into a new new poly lined inner sleeve, and the jobs a good un.

snapper
05-02-2008, 13:53
Hi Colin

I'm the same,bought a Moth about 6 years ago and certainly wouldn't be without it.

Reading through some other sites on the net and I stumbled across people steam cleaning their records.

Because a lot of my purchases are 2nd hand I thought I'd take a punt on the steamer idea.

I bought one identical to the one at Mapleshades from the local Asian hardware shop,cost £9.95.

http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/audioproducts/deepcleaningsystem.php

Used in conjunction with the RCM it's quite amazing how quiet the surface noise is.

Nearly as big an upgrade as the RCM but a whole lot cheaper.

Been using this method now for about a month.

:D

Vinyl Grinder
05-02-2008, 13:56
If i come across a dirty record on y travels i take it to be cleaned, he charges a squid per LP.

If i had the spare cash this is what i'd buy:

http://www.smartdev.com/loricraft.html

Andy831
06-02-2008, 11:08
Okki Nokki here, best value for money out there I reckon

Gromit
08-02-2008, 07:25
Okki Nokki here, best value for money out there I reckon

+1

I bought mine last year but sold it on as a couple of mates and I decided to share the costs of a Loricraft, One of them pulled out of the deal so we didn't bother in the end - too expensive. :rolleyes:

Anyway - the Okki is a superb piece of kit, a tad noisy (as has been said) but works very well indeed. Only downside is that my records, after cleaning, did seem to have a fair bit of crud left behind when being played - muck on the stylus built up quite quickly. It was probably down to the fluid being off though as to start with (ie with the firtst lp's I cleaned) there was no problem.

I'd buy another Okki some time without hesitation. :)

Andy831
08-02-2008, 10:56
Hi Gromit

I had the same problem with crud when I used proprietory products. The Disco antistatic stuff and the `Art du son (which I suspect had gone off if thats possible) Once I changed to my own home brew of IPA, distilled water and a drop of washing up liquid. it cured the problem completely

Andy

Colinx
09-02-2008, 07:35
Hi Gromit

I had the same problem with crud when I used proprietory products. The Disco antistatic stuff and the `Art du son (which I suspect had gone off if thats possible) Once I changed to my own home brew of IPA, distilled water and a drop of washing up liquid. it cured the problem completely

Andy

I have found that if you mix too much of the art du son, and do not store it carefully it ''goes off''. As in it turns a little milky, and does not vac away totally. For this reason I never mix more than 0.5 litre of fluid ready for use, keep it in dark bottle (washing up liquid one in my case), and keep the mixed and undiluted stuff in a dark place.

Gromit
09-02-2008, 08:16
The cleaner I was using was made up by the previous owner - to start with it worked absolutely fine but after a couple of weeks it seemed to go off. I did in fact wonder if it had reacted with the metal can it arrived in.

It was simply distilled water/iso/washing up liquid.