PDA

View Full Version : Whats the Most expensive Moving Coil you have on the Stock Techy Arm ??

RobbieGong
31-07-2011, 21:04
Really curious about this. Interested in if any of you have a high end mc on your stock techy arm and how it sounds. As you probably know some say they wouln't put an expensive mc on the stock arm. I have the Ortofon 2M BLack one of the best mm's out there and it sounds lovely on my MK5G stock arm with KAB fluid damper. The Black shares the same nude Shibata diamond as it's big brother the high end Ortofon Jubilee, if I got one cheap I'd definately give it a try ;)

Wakefield Turntables
01-08-2011, 21:13
Really curious about this. Interested in if any of you have a high end mc on your stock techy arm and how it sounds. As you probably know some say they wouln't put an expensive mc on the stock arm. I have the Ortofon 2M BLack one of the best mm's out there and it sounds lovely on my MK5G stock arm with KAB fluid damper. The Black shares the same nude Shibata diamond as it's big brother the high end Ortofon Jubilee, if I got one cheap I'd definately give it a try ;)

Ortofon rohman about 1200 quid!

chelsea
01-08-2011, 21:16
Ortofon rohman about 1200 quid!

On the stock arm?

The Vinyl Adventure
01-08-2011, 22:22
I had an oc9 on mine ... Sounded fine ... Sounded better on the jelco though!

Wakefield Turntables
02-08-2011, 06:40
On the stock arm?

Yeah it was the 1st cartridge I had on the stock arm before I swapped it!

Tarzan
02-08-2011, 09:12
l used to run a Lyra Helikon on my stock Techie- sounded very nice, but had to sell the Lyra and other bits:(, but have since brought the Oyaide mat/weight and that has rebalanced the loss of the Lyra alot:) PS l could easily tell the differences between different cartridges as well.

DSJR
02-08-2011, 12:36
You do remember the deck first, then arm and THEN cartridge rule??? Works you know, and a "better" cartridge may not give it's all on the reduced-mass techie arm, no matter what headshell you use it with.

The criticism of Techie arms in the mid 70's was mainly in their highish mass. Perfect for today, but not then and I believe Technics set about reducing this mass on later models, including the 1200mk2 series onwards. This was before audio frequency arm-tube resonances were fully understood. A highish compliance mm type just won't upset the arm in the same way as a low compliance ceramic or mc type will and I'm afraid the results are audible too..

seriously, why spend a grand on a cartridge when a Jelco 750, mounting plate, suitable cables and a Sumiko BPS will probably cost less and almost certainly sound so much better?

Wakefield Turntables
02-08-2011, 13:57

seriously, why spend a grand on a cartridge when a Jelco 750, mounting plate, suitable cables and a Sumiko BPS will probably cost less and almost certainly sound so much better?

Because we want to :confused:??

DSJR
02-08-2011, 19:06
Oh sorry, I forgot I've been there thirty years ago and so many have this journey to take for themselves. As you were fellas, I promise not to be patronising (I'm not, honestly, even if I come over this way on occasion) :peace: :respect:

Wakefield Turntables
02-08-2011, 19:58
Dave,

No disrepect mate I'd sooner listen to someone who has had vastly more experience, usually saves time and lots of money :) I've had some hi-end cartridges in my time and I just love the Rohman, its not for everyone, it did sound better on my V on the 1210, far better than the crappy lp12 I once idolised :lolsign:

DSJR
02-08-2011, 20:47
S'alright, it's me and my schoolboy Aspergic over-enthusiasm getting in the way from time to time :)

The techie arm is a great lowish mass (for a detachable shell arm IMO) tonearm which may become upset with lower compliance MC types - IMO - which it seems many expensive jewellery-cartridges are - IMO. The Jelco 750 remains a very well priced product, although I think that dedicated arm plates for it are costly to purchase - you only do it once though... :)

WOStantonCS100
02-08-2011, 22:43
I've seen a Benz Micro Glider on a stock Techie arm before. I believe the picks are still "out there in the wild". Whoever it was, seemed to like the combo.

JazzBones
03-08-2011, 11:03
Dave,

No disrepect mate I'd sooner listen to someone who has had vastly more experience, usually saves time and lots of money :) I've had some hi-end cartridges in my time and I just love the Rohman, its not for everyone, it did sound better on my V on the 1210, far better than the crappy lp12 I once idolised :lolsign:

Okay here we go yet again. Just because you think the LP12 is crappy doesn't mean it is does it? To you, yes, to world wide users, No and it did make the outside world sit up and take notice of Brit Hi Fi! I'm not even going to bother with the set up routine. Dave (DSJR) taught me how to set up a Linn along time ago, a lesson well learnt for life. I'm not very partial to German cars or semi raw steak on my plate but no way do I consider them to be crappy, just not for me :rolleyes:
I own and run both the old 'fruit box' and the 'rubber bonsai dish' and live contently with both.

As for differing likes, our wives/girlfriends all come in different shapes and sizes, skin tone, hair colour shades and coiffeur and we love them through our personal choice. If you were to call my wife 'crappy' I would probably flatten you like most others:donk:, but I'll take your remark about my Linn LP12 with a shrug and just find someone I'm more in tune with:)

I've just had a squizz at the AoS Ethos and one of the requirements is Differences of opinion discussed sensibly, Oh well, time to head for for my brace of TTs and a coldy:cheers:

Ron

DSJR
03-08-2011, 15:19
Ron mate, you know as well as I do how easy it is to ruin an LP12, especially older ones without the benefit of more recent quality control on plinths etc...

The term "musical" has been dismissed almost out of hand on a certain other forum I frequent, as it implies adding something to the sound. I'm not sure about that, but it is SO easy to lose the "spark" or "essence" of the playing in an attempt to refine a hifi system - look at so many large US based systems that are so "refined" they send you to sleep, yet some of the 1980's shreiky budget systems we sold (Rega/Creek or Nait/HB1's/Ela's or Royds for instance) do keep the life and soul of the music, even if everything else is thrown away in the process :lol:

Current LP12's are not a pita to set up (well they weren't from 1998 to 2004 anyway) any more and with a suitable tonearm and-or sub-chassis, I suspect they'd give a Techie a good run for their money nowadays. the gripe today is the silly pricing of both the raw motor unit and the bits you have to tack onto it to get it working... At least a Techie is fine in stock form and can be substantially lifted without spending too much at first (leaving out the expensive platter and supply upgrades to start with)..

JazzBones
03-08-2011, 16:36
Ron mate, you know as well as I do how easy it is to ruin an LP12, especially older ones without the benefit of more recent quality control on plinths etc...

The term "musical" has been dismissed almost out of hand on a certain other forum I frequent, as it implies adding something to the sound. I'm not sure about that, but it is SO easy to lose the "spark" or "essence" of the playing in an attempt to refine a hifi system - look at so many large US based systems that are so "refined" they send you to sleep, yet some of the 1980's shreiky budget systems we sold (Rega/Creek or Nait/HB1's/Ela's or Royds for instance) do keep the life and soul of the music, even if everything else is thrown away in the process :lol:

Current LP12's are not a pita to set up (well they weren't from 1998 to 2004 anyway) any more and with a suitable tonearm and-or sub-chassis, I suspect they'd give a Techie a good run for their money nowadays. the gripe today is the silly pricing of both the raw motor unit and the bits you have to tack onto it to get it working... At least a Techie is fine in stock form and can be substantially lifted without spending too much at first (leaving out the expensive platter and supply upgrades to start with)..

DaveO, I always wondered how the customer would transport their newly serviced and fettled LP12 back home after you had spent time setting (re-setting) the bugger up. No doubt it was bounced around in the boot of old Henry and sometimes not in the box provided :eek: Its not the deck at fault it was the way Linn staff were trained and how the marketing was done and of course young Ivor T did not endear himself most times. Maybe if we had aggressive marketeers like Ivor we would still have our very own car industries? Anyway back to the thread, the most expensive cartridge I used in the stock Tekko arm was a Goldring 1012GX, still got the cartridge, still got the arm (mothballed), my Koetsu Black was doing duties with the LP12 (yummy not grummy mate :lol:) By the bye what do I do with a knackered Linn K18 (seriously) and don't tell me to stick it up my...? :lol::)

Cheers
Ron

Wakefield Turntables
03-08-2011, 17:10
[/B]

Okay here we go yet again. Just because you think the LP12 is crappy doesn't mean it is does it? To you, yes, to world wide users, No and it did make the outside world sit up and take notice of Brit Hi Fi! I'm not even going to bother with the set up routine. Dave (DSJR) taught me how to set up a Linn along time ago, a lesson well learnt for life. I'm not very partial to German cars or semi raw steak on my plate but no way do I consider them to be crappy, just not for me :rolleyes:
I own and run both the old 'fruit box' and the 'rubber bonsai dish' and live contently with both.

As for differing likes, our wives/girlfriends all come in different shapes and sizes, skin tone, hair colour shades and coiffeur and we love them through our personal choice. If you were to call my wife 'crappy' I would probably flatten you like most others:donk:, but I'll take your remark about my Linn LP12 with a shrug and just find someone I'm more in tune with:)

I've just had a squizz at the AoS Ethos and one of the requirements is Differences of opinion discussed sensibly, Oh well, time to head for for my brace of TTs and a coldy:cheers:

Ron

The LP12 has its strengths and weaknesses just like the 1210. Its an OK deck, I own one, a very high end one and i personally think its crap :booty:, thats not to say it is. That's my own personal opinion which I can freely state in a democratic place such as AOS.

Peter Stockwell
03-08-2011, 20:02
just gone back to MM, myself.

Tarzan
03-08-2011, 21:12
just gone back to MM, myself.

Thank god it aint just me, l love my £20 Stanton and £75 Nag MP110, they just seem so musical to me( in the stock Techie arm):).

Tarzan
03-08-2011, 21:14
Btw Pete, still enjoying your Angle Audio phono stage?:)

Peter Stockwell
04-08-2011, 07:04
Thank god it aint just me, l love my £20 Stanton and £75 Nag MP110, they just seem so musical to me( in the stock Techie arm):).

There's a directness, and maybe, lack of some of the hifi subteties with the Ortofon 2M Blue, that I snagged at a very reasonable £80. Makes me wonder how good the Black is. The blue is very engaging.

Haven't, yet, thought about selling off the SME IV, though. I wanted one of those for so long, that now I have it, doesn't seem right to let it go. Wouldn't buy one today, though.

DSJR
04-08-2011, 11:50
DaveO, By the bye what do I do with a knackered Linn K18 (seriously) and don't tell me to stick it up my...? :lol::)

Cheers
Ron

If the suspension hasn't collapsed (which happens to some mk1's, but not mk2's as I remember), then it's probably worth getting it re-tipped.. I liked the k18mk2 at the time, as it sorted out the slushy waywardness of the K9 and just made more sense of the music. Sadly, no chance of a new replacement stylus I'm afraid and "the faithful" will tell you an Adikt is so much better - and then we're back to the Goldring 10** series upon which I understand the Adikt is based.......

Tarzan
04-08-2011, 20:24
Pete, how is the Angle Audio phono stage working out:):):)

Gromit
05-08-2011, 11:20
I used a Lyra Dorian in a stock Tecchy for a while - seemed happy enough, tracked well and sounded good too with lots of pep & verve (ie it sounded like a Lyra). :)