PDA

View Full Version : How to tell first press vinyl

colinB
31-07-2011, 18:46
I just won a copy of Liege and Lief from ebay. The seller says its first press but i won it for £30, the book price is normally £60. It has the pink label but will there be a stamp on the vinyl that will indicate if it is first press or not?

Stratmangler
31-07-2011, 18:56
There will be something in the deadwax - a stamper number or suchlike which will give you some kind of idea.

colinB
31-07-2011, 18:58
Thanks. Ill look out for it.

The Grand Wazoo
31-07-2011, 19:06
I think Island Records matrices use the A1/B1 code Colin.
You'd be looking for 'A//1 1' and 'B//1 1' for it to be a first pressing off the first stamper.

That would make it one of the first 2,000 or so that were pressed. Stampers wear out by that time, so an early one of a second stamper ought to be better than a late one off a first stamper. It's all bollocks, though, perpetuated by collectors who buy records to have rather than to listen to. It's what's in the grooves that matters!

Rare Bird
31-07-2011, 22:42
There's Mono issue of that album

Stratmangler
01-08-2011, 10:02
There's Mono issue of that album

Now that's interesting.
Was the mono mix different from the stereo release (a la Beatles) ? By that I mean the eq and relative volume of the various parts in the mixdown different.

Rare Bird
01-08-2011, 11:39
Dunno Chris, can't listern to all that kinda stuff, it sends me to sleep, i just know things from when i was a record collector.

Stratmangler
01-08-2011, 11:46
Dunno Chris, can't listern to all that kinda stuff, it sends me to sleep, i just know things from when i was a record collector.

You can't say fairer than that :lol:

Vinyleyes
03-08-2011, 13:23
Thanks. Ill look out for it.

Hi Colin ... this is one of my all time fave albums so I'd love to know what the matrices are ... I am slowly collecting 1st pressings of my favourite albums ( for playing I hasten to add !! ) ... and I would be interested if you did indeed land a 1st pressing.
Normally if someone is selling a 1st pressing then they will indicate the matrix numbers in the ad ....
Thanks .. ... :cool: