View Full Version : Wanted! - nice solid-state pre-amp

jandl100
31-07-2011, 17:44
:thumbsup: Fast, open, hi-rez, focussed. :thumbsup:

:nono: Smooth, relaxed, bloomy. :nono:

Preferred (but not essential) ;

- XLR/balanced inputs & outputs as well as RCAs
- Remote control
- Be nice if it had a good phono stage, too.

What Have You? :)

I might consider p/x for my lovely CR Developments Romulus valve integrated amp - worth £650.
http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?53576-CR-Developments-Romulus-valve-integrated-amp

Suggestions as to what I should get also invited. :)

Welder
31-07-2011, 20:35
I heard one of these a while ago

http://www.exposurehifi.com/3010s2-pre-amplifier.html

Fast, musical, dynamic.
Apparently the MCX series sounds excellent if you like solid state sound and apparently it does nothing to try to sound like valves.
Exposure does seem to have “their particular sound” pretty much throughout their product range. I really like it in my system but if you’re a classical fan or like you’re music presented in a more laid back fashion these may not be for you.

Anyway, a chance to plug a great British company who have for years produced honest products at realistic prices :)

DSJR
31-07-2011, 20:48
What ever happened to products that don't have a sound? :D

jandl100
31-07-2011, 21:07
What ever happened to products that don't have a sound? :D

They only happen when the volume level is at zero, Dave! ;)

[P.S. did the Herbie mat turn up OK?]

jandl100
31-07-2011, 21:10
One of the older Krell pre-amps may be what I want ... KSL, KRC-2 or 3 ...

sonrock
31-07-2011, 23:28
How about a Chord CPA3000 in like new condition and working perfectly? It meets anything you expect Jerry :)

montesquieu
01-08-2011, 05:55
You want to try a Pass B1.

Mine isn't for sale though!

jandl100
01-08-2011, 05:56
How about a Chord CPA3000 in like new condition and working perfectly? It meets anything you expect Jerry :)

Hi Thanh!

.... A Chord CPA3000 pre - that's a classy looking piece of kit, but rather more ££££ than I want to spend, I expect.

Drop me a PM with a price! :)

DSJR
01-08-2011, 08:36
They only happen when the volume level is at zero, Dave! ;)

[P.S. did the Herbie mat turn up OK?]

Forgive my rudeness :(

Mat turned up (many thanks) and makes a perfect spacer for the 1500. Since the 1500 platter rings like a bell with a lightweight mat on its own (even the thicker Herbies you sent isn't enough), the Oracle mat on top does just fine and gets the arm level, as near as darn-it. I've been using the Dual over the weekend, but shall return to the Techie this week as it seems to have more potential possibly :)

Mileend
01-08-2011, 20:53
Would an XTC pre1 tempt you ? In black and mint condition. Dynamic and detailed. Please pm if interested. thanks Mervyn

jandl100
01-08-2011, 22:08
Thanks Mervyn - but I think I'm sorted now, though - I'm getting a Musical Fidelity A1 FBP pre-amp for a rather nice price. We'll see how I get on with it ... it got a good review in Hifi World. :)