PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Delivery Companies

snapper
23-10-2008, 12:58
As per title.

Can you recommend any delivery companies.

Any companies you have used that are to be avoided.

greenhomeelectronics
23-10-2008, 16:22
We only use Parcelforce these days. In the past we have tried Amtrak, Nightspeed (those 2 became 1) Parcel to go, DHL direct, CitiLink and Fastway. ParcelForce are the only ones that we have found to be reliable. All the others were cheaper but we found out why to our cost on every ocassion. We have an account with them as we ship so much stuff but I see no reason why they would be any less reliable on a one off delivery. A really nice benefit for our customers is that they will hold stuff at their depot if you are out during the day, you can also get them to deliver to the post office nearest to the customer for an extra quid. They also offer enhanced compensation for high value items.
Hope that helps.
Dave

Mike
23-10-2008, 16:41
I've used these quite a few times:

http://www.interparcel.com/

Great prices and I've never had any problems.

Cheers...

Slatedeck
23-10-2008, 17:30
Interparcel are not a delivery company Mike ;)

Just an agent,

Mike
23-10-2008, 17:33
I know...

But the prices are usually lower than going direct! Which is nice! :eyebrows:

Slatedeck
23-10-2008, 17:37
Yes, I've always found them to be pretty good,

The nice DHL man that often collects from here usually doesn't even disturb me when collecting.

Rather thoughtful of him, "going the extra mile"?

Nah, he's just in a rush..............:lolsign:

Acorn3a
23-10-2008, 18:50
My dvd's used to be delivered by DHL for my shop,most of the time the box would be damaged,sometimes they were a week late,so i would not recommend them.

Filterlab
24-10-2008, 08:41
My dvd's used to be delivered by DHL for my shop,most of the time the box would be damaged,sometimes they were a week late,so i would not recommend them.

I believe they're comically known as DHhell in the industry.

Sand Dancin Donkey Walker
24-10-2008, 08:42
D.H.L

Drop It, Hide It, Lose It.

Andy - SDDW

Filterlab
24-10-2008, 09:11
D.H.L

Andy - SDDW

:lolsign:

Historicus
28-10-2008, 21:12
D.H.L

Andy - SDDW

STUPENDO!

MartinT
25-12-2008, 08:34
Avoid Citilink. Truly appalling service, every time.

Beechwoods
25-12-2008, 19:18
I'd agree. My experience of Citilink has been disappointing. I go with ParcelForce when I'm shipping my own gear for services etc. They are more expensive, but give far more reliable service in my experience.

Yiangos
14-01-2009, 10:42
Pizza Hut ? rotfl

combwork
20-01-2009, 13:49
This lot can be helpful.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/cheap-parcel-delivery

The thing to remember is most budget carriers bulk buy spare space from the main carriers so although they might not make it clear, any insurance they offer is usually subject to the same exclusions as the main company. The budget carrier might not list these exclusions in full.

Also, delivery times are subject to there being space available; main carrier is unlikely to bump one of their own customers just to make space for the budget company:eyebrows:

aquapiranha
20-01-2009, 18:07
In contrast do Dave's post (Greenhomeelectronics) I have found Parcelforce to be the most unreliable monkey show I have ever encountered aside from the old NTL. On three occasions they have delivered parcels over 3 days late and another time the item arrived on time, but looked like it had been delivered by air without the use of a parachute.

These days I use UPS ( we use these in work too, just take a look at the vans - nice shelves inside where parcels are secured and not just drop kicked into the back of a scruffy transit...)

Of cousrse everyone has had different experiences, but I would NEVER use Parcelfarce ever again.

twelvebears
10-08-2009, 12:39
Gents.

If you're looking for a cost effective way of posting larger items, you might want to try www.p4d.co.uk

It's basically a 'Confused.com' for parcels which gives a load of choices based on size, weight, speed of delivery etc.

Works well, can be paid for using Paypal, prints delivery labels etc and gives a slight discount for setting up an account.

Royal Mail is still better for small items, but anything component size and up seems cheaper here.

Example would be a 9kg cassette deck sized box sent in the UK, with £100 insurance, 48hr delivery, was basically £10

DaveK
10-08-2009, 13:51
Hi Steve,
Wish I'd known of this service before - I'm still waiting for a SL1200 TT that I bought on eBay from a guy on the south coast weeks ago who refused to ship it. My cousin collected it on my behalf but it is now 'stuck' with him in Tunbridge Wells until his next visit 'up north' at the end of August.
I can see this being a very useful service for eBay addicts like me :) .
Cheers,

DSJR
10-08-2009, 16:38
I sold my GL75 recently and it was paid for by Paypal (the new owner's gone very quiet and I hope the restoration is proceeding ok..) and the fee for sending it "Paypal Parcelforce" was half the price I'd have paid had it been paid for at the Post Office. I over-quoted the weight as well...

I'm also told that Pharos is reasonable as well.

I'm putting my ATC's on the market in the Autumn, but each box (even the small ones I have) is so heavy that I have no idea whom to use once they're sold. ATC used Amtrac at one time, but I don't even know if they still exist.

twelvebears
04-09-2009, 05:57
Well I have to say that the 'Paypal Parcelforce' rates here: http://www.parcelforce.com/portal/campaign/content1?catId=7300052&mediaId=21600363 are pretty competative, especially for anything heavy.

P4D are also now offering an integarted eBay service, but of course they offer decent rates even for non-eBay linked items, plus there's the fact that the courier collects it from you, rather that you having to lug it to the PO.

Recently sent a tape deck to Les (AudiOH!) for £8 via DHL.

Rare Bird
20-10-2009, 09:44
I'd agree. My experience of Citilink has been disappointing.

I like City Link, been very relaible to me, the depot is just down the road so i usually get first pick up that avoids me hanging around all day waiting.Parcelforce are dreadfull, three time now they have had my parcels stuck in the depot for 3 days, amazing excuses like we came but you wernt in (No card left minst)..I know damned well i was in, never again with that service, DHL deffo no no.Good & bad will all i guess more bad with some tho..

Mark Grant
23-10-2009, 11:04
Pharos parcel http://www.pharosparcel.com/ are excellent.

They use UPS for delivering packages and are the most reliable I have used.

I have sent expensive stuff to various countries with pharos parcel and never had a problem.
Might not be the cheapest but certainly reliable.

I once had an expensive power amplifier for sale on ebay, someone from Gaza enquired about it and bought it.

I booked it on Pharos parcel, UPS collected it the same day and delivered it to Gaza in around 3 or 4 days even though the BBC news showed Gaza being bombed daily at the time....

Mark.

hifinutt
06-12-2009, 15:01
oh dear, everytime parcelforce have delivered my precious gear its been perfect and in sound condition, several times now have been quite pleased. moorgate acoustics use parcelforce and so do music first [and dhl]

Rare Bird
07-12-2009, 17:18
oh dear, everytime parcelforce have delivered my precious gear its been perfect and in sound condition, several times now have been quite pleased. moorgate acoustics use parcelforce and so do music first [and dhl]

Why use Moorgate Acoustics you being in W.Mids?

:scratch:

Techno Commander
26-06-2010, 20:13
I usually use Parcel2go (https://www.parcel2go.com/parceldelivery-uk.aspx). Cheaper than going to the post office and they collect.

I avoid Parcel Farce like the plague. They manged to loose my friends 8' canoe.

Spur07
17-03-2011, 22:11
I usually use Parcel2go (https://www.parcel2go.com/parceldelivery-uk.aspx). Cheaper than going to the post office and they collect.

I avoid Parcel Farce like the plague. They manged to loose my friends 8' canoe.

+1

Vinyleyes
02-04-2011, 09:26
This is not a recommendation for a COMPANY ... It is a recommendation for a private individual who runs his own business with his own van and travels the length and breadth of Britain. He works by assembling a list of pickups and then when he has a worthwhile load then off he goes. Thus unless you pay a large premium he will not be available immediately.
His big advantage is that he will hand carry .. and hand deliver ... your most prized and delicate .. or heavy and unwieldy items ... from door to door .. AND .. you do not have to worry about packaging the items if you do not have the boxes.
To give you an example of a job he is about to do for me ... He will pick up a pair of Tannoy Ardens, JBL L19,s, Castle Howards and an unboxed valuable Acoustic guitar from 3 different locations in London and the Midlands and bring to my door in sunny Scarborough ... All items are unboxed as the previous owners had no packing.
So if you have heavy items or delicate electronics or valves to be transported .. and are not in a big hurry .. then Dave could be your answer.

You can email Dave on djvcourier@googlemail.com for a quote .. or questions .. .. and tell him you saw the recommendation on the hifi forum.

(needless to say I have nothing to do with the business ;) ... but good service deserves to be recommended.)

anthonyTD
02-04-2011, 10:07
hi all,
i used to use UPS, Untill recently when a piece of equipment was seriously damaged while in their care, they have tried all ways to Wriggle out of paying for the damage to the item and there is currently a law suite against them, apparently, they are self insureing these days, so that means when you declare the true value of the item and insure for the full value they do not insure it they just work on the principal that it wont get broken, and if it does, its tuff luck!:steam:
Anthony,TD...

anthonyTD
02-04-2011, 10:10
This is not a recommendation for a COMPANY ... It is a recommendation for a private individual who runs his own business with his own van and travels the length and breadth of Britain. He works by assembling a list of pickups and then when he has a worthwhile load then off he goes. Thus unless you pay a large premium he will not be available immediately.
His big advantage is that he will hand carry .. and hand deliver ... your most prized and delicate .. or heavy and unwieldy items ... from door to door .. AND .. you do not have to worry about packaging the items if you do not have the boxes.
To give you an example of a job he is about to do for me ... He will pick up a pair of Tannoy Ardens, JBL L19,s, Castle Howards and an unboxed valuable Acoustic guitar from 3 different locations in London and the Midlands and bring to my door in sunny Scarborough ... All items are unboxed as the previous owners had no packing.
So if you have heavy items or delicate electronics or valves to be transported .. and are not in a big hurry .. then Dave could be your answer.

You can email Dave on djvcourier@googlemail.com for a quote .. or questions .. .. and tell him you saw the recommendation on the hifi forum.

(needless to say I have nothing to do with the business ;) ... but good service deserves to be recommended.)

Hi Brian,
that sounds like a very good service, and i think from what has been happening with some of the big carriage firms lately, there will be many more like him starting up their own service, i say good luck to them.:)
Anthony,TD...

Vinyleyes
02-04-2011, 13:38
Yes indeed ... and the great thing is as well .. you can call him en route and know exactly when he will be arriving. The last time he brought something for me I called him en route to my house and diverted him first to my son's place and asked him to pick up my TR6 hard top and bring it down to my place and pop it in the garage ... and with a bit of help from my son and a few more quid he did all that without bother. Hence the firm recommendation.
Just remember he will NOT be cheaper for a smallish item that could safely be DHL'd or similar .. His true value lies in getting biggish stuff shipped or multiple items/pickups that would be quite expensive by normal courier .. and the hand carried factor of course for delicate gear. ... :cool:

DavidF
23-04-2011, 21:56
As per title.

Can you recommend any delivery companies.

Any companies you have used that are to be avoided.

A lump of treadmill (motor) was collected from th repair man in Prestatyn on the 14 (Thursday). Nothing was seen of it by the following Tuesday and the tracking number was getting no where.

I e mailed DHL, who mailed back (promptly ) to say they no longer deal with this stuff....great :(. Number supplied to contact.

Here the tale improves....The guy on the other end was very helpful. My package was now in Lichfield (so had passed Shropshire and gone out the other side) so it was positively located.

It is now due for delivery on Tues.

Apparently the address wasn't very clear, so they couldn't drop it, despite knowing my postcode.

Its a good job I wasn't in a hurry for it. At least it wasn't lost tho' which would have been seriously bad news.

Sending the stuff up....DHL quoted £11...meant I had to wait around for it to be collected (4.00pm eventually). Bad mistake; royal mail would have done it for 14....no waiting around.

Rare Bird
27-04-2011, 14:49
Not mentioning any names but i'm getting sick & tired of Couriors not turning up to pick up my parcels. Again sat around since 7:00am waiting, i was suppose to be at work 40 mins ago, when i pay for a specific time slot i expect it, i don't pay extra for the laugh.. when you telephone to ask what they are playing at, you get zero joy. If they don't turn up i'll have the buyer moaning at me it not being at his end by Friday

Marco
27-04-2011, 14:56
when you telephone to ask what they are playing at, you get zero joy.

Interesting... What excuse do they give you?

I've been involved in similar situations. One time when the driver turned up (three hours late), I said to him (I don't hold back when I receive shit service): "Are you the clown who was meant to be here three hours ago?", to which he replied: "Aye, that'll be me!"

I couldn't help laughing! :eyebrows:

Marco.

MartinT
16-06-2011, 06:11
Now my Shelter cartridge has been in limbo for 5 days. Apparently it left Hong Kong on 11th but hasn't arrived here yet. Did they send it by hot air balloon? Rowing boat? Who knows...

I'm ready to do battle with ParcelFarce again and will try to go collect it before it reaches one of their 'vans of doom'.

Mark Grant
16-06-2011, 08:29
Maybe its a customs delay, 5 days so far is not really long at all.

I guess it at the customs hub with thousands of other packages but not scanned so no tracking update yet.

Think how much stuff must come in from Hong Kong, most of it with low declared value on the label.

There is often a long delay when packages arrive at the Coventry hub customs clearance if I remember correctly. Then a delay when it is stored at your local depot while they post a letter about customs charges and wait for them to be paid.

Parcelforce are generally OK except for delays with incoming international parcels.

The longest delay I had with parcel force was about 3 to 4 weeks with a box of connectors from Japan that cost £2000.00

Delay at customs 'hub', then after paying the customs fee the parcel was 'lost' for weeks in our local depot. It was 'out for delivery' according to the computers but stayed like that for weeks.........

I only ever found the package as I went to the depot with the customs letter and proof of payment and someone found it after about 10 minutes. It had been put in the wrong part of the warehouse for my postcode....................

To be fair to the staff, most of them are excellent, just the company as a whole has a problem, everyone has too much to do.
Our local delivery driver is excellent and so is the member of office staff I deal with at the local depot.

I now use UPS or Fedex for incoming international parcels, Japan to UK can be two days sometimes if a fast service is paid for :) Does cost more though.

MartinT
16-06-2011, 09:32
It took about three weeks for my Choir Audio SUT to arrive from the USA via ParcelForce, so I'm not holding my breath.

worthingpagan
22-10-2011, 11:21
DPD & City Link are the worst couriers i've ever used. Give you a date, tex you the morning of the delivery/collection and then just don't show up :steam: It's happened too often and now I will only use Royal Mail/Parcelforce, because for all their faults, they have never failed to show. Hermes have also been very reliable. It's all probably down to me living on the very edge of the civilised world but it's hardly rocket science to find the place :rolleyes:

MartinT
22-10-2011, 13:07
I long ago abandoned City Link (the absolute worst) and ParcelFarce (hopeless).

These days I use DHL booked through Parcel2Go.

synsei
12-12-2011, 12:14
Again. it is all down to personal experience but I have never had a problem with CitiLink. I order computer components from eBuyer quite regularly and they use CL to ship their stuff and it has always arrived promptly and in excellent condition. I've not used them to ship anything however.

I avoid Hermes like the plague as they seem to be engaged in a genocidal campaign to rid the country of speakers. Not only were they responsible for killing my Celestion County's with a forklift, but I have since discovered from subsequent conversations with several ebayers that they have had similar experiences with the company when shipping speakers. It would seem Hermes are quite capable of delivering other hifi equipment without breakages however... :scratch:

Tim
12-12-2011, 12:28
I've not used them to ship anything however.
This in my experience is where the problem lies with City Link. I have used them twice to collect from my home address and once from work. Both times from home they failed to turn up on the day booked (arrived next day - so 2 days of waiting in for them) and from work they arrived outside the agreed collection times of 0900 - 1730 (they arrived at 1820). Not very good for collections in my experience. I won't use them again.

But, Ebuyer deliveries have always been OK for me as well.

synsei
12-12-2011, 12:32
I've just shipped a Ferret using RSPCA and I'm very pleased with the standard of service (see Abstract Chat) :lolsign:

keiths
12-12-2011, 13:54
I've just shipped a Ferret using RSPCA

Was he 'fursty'?

http://www.igimages.co.uk/blogimages2008/december/furstyferret.jpg

morris_minor
12-12-2011, 14:27
Dunno how they are with ferrets, but Hermes let me down over a pickup; his winged hat wasn't flapping that day. Avoid!

synsei
12-12-2011, 19:26
Was he 'fursty'?

http://www.igimages.co.uk/blogimages2008/december/furstyferret.jpg

Funnily enough he was :lolsign:

Roy S
12-12-2011, 19:44
S**tty Link delivered 5 nice new pasta/soup bowls (& some shards of porcelain that used to be the sixth) the other day, the plates were double boxed with shed loads of bubble wrap & fragile stickers everywhere. Must have been dropped from a great height.

Yodel (new name for Home Delivery Network) didn't deliver on the day I rescheduled for, they delivered the day after & left the parcel (containing my new Nagaoka MP110) in my porch leaving the door wide open. I'd understood this needed a signature so I don't know who'd signed for it, thinking of telling the seller it was never received.

snapper
21-12-2011, 15:16
Maybe avoid FedEx after seeing this.

DhmjJCBQ-cA

Alex_UK
21-12-2011, 15:36
Well I sincerely hope if that is genuine that he is taken to task for that! Disgraceful, but not unusual I suspect. :(

Reid Malenfant
21-12-2011, 15:41
I thought all Fedex stuff needed a signature from the recipient? :scratch:

synsei
21-12-2011, 23:38
That's supposed to be the case Mark, and yet DPD have left a computer case and power supply on my doorstep in the not too distant past and they operate a similar system... :eyebrows:

Reid Malenfant
21-12-2011, 23:43
That's supposed to be the case Mark, and yet DPD have left a computer case and power supply on my doorstep in the not too distant past and they operate a similar system... :eyebrows:
:eek:

I'm thankful that I have never received such a shoddy service :)

Perhaps I have been lucky, "do you feel lucky punk"? :eyebrows:

MartinT
22-12-2011, 17:53
Generally I've been very happy with both supplier's packaging and courier services, although it does help greatly to have everything delivered at work so that I don't have to go and collect.

The exceptions are City Link (the less said, the better), and one eBay clown who sent me an LP in a large jiffy bag :(

northwest
12-02-2012, 20:26
I have a guy I use regularly. He is a sort of "man with van" type service.
For instance he picked up a pair of Quad ESL's in Edinburgh and brought them to Manchester. Door to door and he charged me £40. They were picked up without and packaging whatsoever and he wrapped them for me and they arrived without a scratch. He has delivered servers worth thousands and all sorts of delicate stuff all over the countryside. If you are prepared to plan ahead he is great.
If anyone wants his number PM me and I'll be happy to pass it on. (and I don't normally recommend people!).

Reid Malenfant
12-02-2012, 20:38
Maybe avoid FedEx after seeing this.

DhmjJCBQ-cA
I was nearly going to start a thread about Fedex as things went a bit wrong very recently :rolleyes: However, they appear to be back on track & I should be in receipt of some kit I bought from France in a couple of days :)

Lets just say that my gear got delivered to exactly the right address but in the wrong town :mental: Thankfully there are some honest people out there still, with my getting on the phone when I saw "delivered" on the tracking site & this other chap getting in touch it was retrieved & is now on the way to where it should be going :eyebrows:

I hope :rfl:

Dominic Harper
12-02-2012, 20:42
Have any of you heard of ACP? They are really cheap and have companies all over the UK.

Cheers
Natalie;)

julesd68
29-06-2012, 08:53
Have any of you heard of ACP? They are really cheap and have companies all over the UK.

Yes, they delivered a power amp to me using an overnight service with no hassle at all. I would definitely use them myself but you can only use their Europe service if you have an account with them.

DanJennings
24-12-2012, 20:09
ARGH! :steam:

I am having a terrible time with DPD.

I preordered 2 copies of the new Fairport Convention book, one for myself, one for a birthday gift at the beginning of September. There was a delay with the books and they did not start shipping them till the start of December but that's another story.

The book that was a gift arrived with no problems. The book for myself they shipped a couple of weeks ago and I was informed via email. I checked the post for the next few days - nothing. I had to chase them to see where my book was, and I was directed to their shipping company DPD, who told me that they had attempted to deliver yesterday but were unsuccessful. Perfectly plausible, I was probably at work.
I tried to get them to deliver to my work address, they refused. I tried to get them to deliver on a Saturday, it was not an option they offered. I didn't want to collect from the depot as it was a bit of a trek and in a rough area, so I decided to have it delivered today, Christmas eve, as I knew I would not be working so I could stay in and wait for it.

Sure enough I got an email this morning telling me that it would be delivered between 12 and 1pm today, so I stayed in and waited for it. Surprise surprise it didn't arrive.

I scoured the internet for a customer service number, and on about the 5th try managed to find one where I could speak to a human being, who told me that my address was clearly wrong, because there was one digit wrong on my postcode (9LR instead of 8LR). He told me that we couldn't change it and I would have to collect from the depot. I reluctantly agreed and he gave me the address and told me the van would be back at the depot between 6:30 and 7:30 and they shut at 7:30. Ho hum.

So I aimed to get to the depot for about 6:45, and found upon arriving that we had been sent to the wrong address. We drove around the industrial park for a while and in the end I found out by googling that they had moved to new premises. We drove back through the town to another address only to be told that it wasn't a collection depot, and we were given a third address and told again that we should be ok because the depot closed at 7:30.

Predictably enough we arrived at our third destination at about 7pm where a security guard unapologetically told us that the depot was closed until the 27th and rather sarcastically wished us a merry christmas.

Great service.

Yomanze
15-04-2013, 15:22
For me, Royal Mail whenever possible, Parcelforce if not. Also, I use Anyvan & select positively reviewed men in vans when the couriers / post becomes too expensive. I absolutely, positively avoid Yodel & myHermes due to repeated bad experiences with fragile goods.

julesd68
27-09-2013, 09:16
With the demise of the Royal Mail's 'Standard Parcels' service, it has become very expensive to send relatively cheap and light weight items.

I have started using Collectplus.co.uk and so far so good. Website is well designed, easy to use and offers a superb tracking service. They have a network of drop-off points - I'm lucky enough to be able to use a convenience store 5 mins walk away that is actually nearer than the Post Office. If you put in your post code on the website it will show you where your local drop-off points are.

In terms of prices, Royal Mail wanted £8 to send a parcel that weighed just over a kilo - with Collectplus this was £4.89 and you get. Of course with much heavier items you have a wide range of couriers to choose from.

Audioman
08-11-2013, 11:40
I have started using Collectplus.co.uk and so far so good. Website is well designed, easy to use and offers a superb tracking service. They have a network of drop-off points - I'm lucky enough to be able to use a convenience store 5 mins walk away that is actually nearer than the Post Office. If you put in your post code on the website it will show you where your local drop-off points are.

This is the service favoured by Amazon for returns.

Yomanze
08-11-2013, 20:36
UPS if you are fearful of anything going wrong...

Ninanina
04-08-2015, 01:16
Where possible, and certianly any items of value, I always use the Post Office Special Delivery Guaranteed by 1pm Service. This service is handled quite differently than 'normal' post

I have found this service first class. It is not the cheapest service but that matters not when you get first class service, fully tracked, signed for, good £'s cover for loss and a very quick delivery. If I cannot use that service then I always use another Post Office/Parcelforce service

I have NEVER had a problem with any of the Post Office/Parcelforce services and will continue to use them ;)

I have had experience of Yodel and would certainly not recommend them, a real nightmare :(

struth
05-08-2015, 23:30
Yup special delivery is good as you get decent insurance thrown in. Ups I like too for big fragile stuff. My hermes are ok if you pack well and it's not too heavy or fragile.

Minstrel SE
09-11-2017, 15:21
Ive had excellent service from DPD and parcelforce...Ive aso had shoddy service from Parceforce just leaving an item at an obscure sub post office/ newsagents with no card through my door.

Its always difficult giving blanket recommendations because it depends on your local driver and his daily schedule/mood

I am quite wary using courier firms when selling and it wouldnt be for fragile high value items. When I do order its in the lap of the gods really but firms like Dell tend to use good enough firms with adequate insurance.

When a turntable lid is on the way Ive got fingers crossed that the seller has packed it well and the delivery staff arent the butterfingers crew having a laugh

I dont tend to use Yodel but some sellers insist on using them and its been generally ok for low value items if a bit slow. I think you get what you pay for and if the drivers are on pence per parcel I dont expect a first class service

Andy831
09-11-2017, 15:46
I used these people to sed two parcels to Guernsay and one to Wells in Somerset on Tuesday. They seemed sensible money offered high value insurance and seemed prompt and efficient when they collected.

https://www.ipostparcels.com

Len Co
25-04-2018, 12:52
Recently received a turntable via Parcelforce with a damaged lid - well demolished actually. The whole thing had been well packed and wrapped and would certainly have withstood normal handling. I can only imagine someone had stood on it or dropped/placed something really heavy on it, though it was marked fragile. As it was insured the sender made a claim. A month or more later I received a letter from Parcelforce saying I hadn't sent them information they had asked for and the sender received a similar letter. The strange thing is I never received any request for information from them and the sender had sent them the info they asked for - I am more than reasonably sure of this as he asked me for certain details and pictures and told me he had replied to them. In my view Parcelforce are masters of using delaying tactics and obfuscation as well as being overpriced and slow. I can see no reason to ever use their 'services'.

Len Co
30-04-2018, 16:28
Recently received a turntable via Parcelforce with a damaged lid - well demolished actually. The whole thing had been well packed and wrapped and would certainly have withstood normal handling. I can only imagine someone had stood on it or dropped/placed something really heavy on it, though it was marked fragile. As it was insured the sender made a claim. A month or more later I received a letter from Parcelforce saying I hadn't sent them information they had asked for and the sender received a similar letter. The strange thing is I never received any request for information from them and the sender had sent them the info they asked for - I am more than reasonably sure of this as he asked me for certain details and pictures and told me he had replied to them. In my view Parcelforce are masters of using delaying tactics and obfuscation as well as being overpriced and slow. I can see no reason to ever use their 'services'.

UPDATE: since writing the above I sent Parcelforce all the information they asked for plus proof of eBay and PayPal transactions together with a pretty stiff letter. I am delighted to say that they quickly made a very satisfactory re-payment to the sender who passed it on to me. So well done there. My feeling is still that they were stalling (or at least very incompetent - ref. missing mails) and I have had a previous pf experience with a parcel that went walkabout for quite a while before finally reaching me. Still not a company I would choose to do business with I'm afraid since I have had cheaper and quicker deliveries and no damages with UPS and DPD.

struth
30-04-2018, 16:33
Smashed something coming to me and were not interested in compensating me.. dont really use them except in an emergeny

TazSob
30-04-2018, 16:46
Worked for parcel line back in 1998 for a year and it was a very tough job with the quotas they would place on each worker. The supervisor would often hover over you as you loaded or unloaded the vans or trucks and were only interested in how fast you could do the job and didn't care for the way you did it... Lots of mail would go walkies back then too with people re-addressing parcels and packages they thought were of value

Vince
27-07-2019, 16:54
I've never had a damaged or misplaced parcel by Hermes. I must have sent hundreds and not a wimper. Royal mail special delivery and DPD are very good as well.

Flo
25-06-2020, 20:17
Ups been a1 thus far, service is good value but insurance prohibitive .

Barry
25-06-2020, 20:46
I worked for an electronics resaech company, often designing components that would be flown in satellites. The amount of vibration and shock testing that has to be done to ensure they (and the satellite) would withstand the launch is consideable, and expensive. A quick and easy way to find out if such a component was robust enough, before it was properly tested, was to post it to ourselves by Royal Mail. If it survived, it was robust enough to proceed with the rigorous shock and vibration tests.

goraman
28-08-2020, 06:59
North pole Express, but they only deliver once a year 12/24 .
Anywhere on the planet. It will only cost you milk and cookies.
The man in red is way better than the guys in brown.
Just adding some levity, no one get excited.