PDA

View Full Version : Fidelity Audio PSU For Technics Deck

RobbieGong
28-07-2011, 16:52
Hi guys, Anyone know anything about this one ? Anyone had experience ? (Link attached) http://www.fidelityaudio.co.uk/technics_1210.html
Looks pretty cool (Yes I'm fickle like that :eyebrows:) but looks aint all I know. I know that there are now quite a few PSU options including making your own. I have the standard Timestep PSU but cant express the benefits it has solely brought to my system as I fitted at the same time as the Mike New bearing as recommnded by others.
Does this PSU look good on paper as the spec means nothing to me :rolleyes:

ludovico
28-07-2011, 18:40
It seems to be far too expensive!

colinB
28-07-2011, 20:18
Double the price of the other psu units they manufacture :scratch:
They make them for Graham Slee and Beresford DACS. Are they allowed to do that?

MCRU
28-07-2011, 20:35
It seems to be far too expensive!

Too expensive on what grounds kind sir?

Haver you heard it?

Mine is £495, customers who have bought it have not complained about the price after they have heard it, the proof of the pudding is in the eating...:)

My new range of DC PSU's are nearly ready, after a request from a prominant AOS member as to a PSU for his DAC but at a more sensible price I set about commissioning the manufacture of such a beast, full details to follow. I am now able to offer an entry level PSU and after funds and up-grade itis kick in a generous trade in for a higher spec. one.

RobbieGong
28-07-2011, 20:44

Haver you heard it?

Mine is £495, customers who have bought it have not complained about the price after they have heard it, the proof of the pudding is in the eating...:)

My new range of DC PSU's are nearly ready, after a request from a prominant AOS member as to a PSU for his DAC but at a more sensible price I set about commissioning the manufacture of such a beast, full details to follow. I am now able to offer an entry level PSU and after funds and up-grade itis kick in a generous trade in for a higher spec. one.

Good point ! - Is any of this stuf 'cheap'? No not really. The Mike New bearing for instance sits in the palm of your hand and costs £450ish but it aint half a significant upgrade ;)

colinB
28-07-2011, 20:52
I would ask what makes it expensive? The components? The design?
If its the design then you are taking a big leap in faith. Any electronics engineer could make a psu. If panasonic could engineer a magnetic quartz lock platter why did they screw up the power supply?
Fair play to you mate you have a returns policy if you dont like but i dont think this guy does.
Like i say. A leap of faith.

RobbieGong
28-07-2011, 21:19
Would really like to hear from someone who's got one attached (If you know what I mean :eyebrows: ) Or who at least can make some sense of the spec - Please !

DSJR
28-07-2011, 22:01
I would ask what makes it expensive? The components? The design?
If its the design then you are taking a big leap in faith. Any electronics engineer could make a psu. If panasonic could engineer a magnetic quartz lock platter why did they screw up the power supply?
Fair play to you mate you have a returns policy if you dont like but i dont think this guy does.
Like i say. A leap of faith.

No disrespect to anyone, but I believe it's called "intellectual property." or somesuch, which can be as great or small as you think the product can muster. The fact that there's, I suspect, less than £50 worth in that simple box is irrelevant and I'm sure there are other costs which have to be factored in as well, although the increasing habit of charging seemingly "retail prices" for online mail-order goods without the third party of a dealer/distributer in the chain still rankles with me I'm afraid to say..

If people want such things, they'll find the dosh from somewhere - I speak from experience ;)

sq225917
28-07-2011, 23:38
It seems a little expensive for simple single rail dc power supply.

Certainly the 24 volt ones I made for the Young using either a superteddyreg or TPR2 from Les cost more than £100 less than that and they came in a custom extruded case that was hand linished.

You pays your money and takes your choice. You could build your own for a ton.

Mark Grant
29-07-2011, 08:49
Hi guys, Anyone know anything about this one ? Anyone had experience ? (Link attached) http://www.fidelityaudio.co.uk/technics_1210.html
Looks pretty cool (Yes I'm fickle like that :eyebrows:) but looks aint all I know. I know that there are now quite a few PSU options including making your own. I have the standard Timestep PSU but cant express the benefits it has solely brought to my system as I fitted at the same time as the Mike New bearing as recommnded by others.
Does this PSU look good on paper as the spec means nothing to me :rolleyes:

Looks OK and not that expensive.

Although there is no returns policy listed on the site I am sure they will accept returns as they are a real company, and its the law anyway.

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?itemId=1075385183&r.i=1075385095&r.l1=1073861197&r.l2=1074448560&r.l3=1075384925&r.s=sc&r.t=RESOURCES&type=RESOURCES

http://www.out-law.com/page-430#goods

Everywhere has to have a minimum of 7 days and as I read it if no policy is listed at the time of purchase (to try to put you off returning) you have 3 months, its in the links above.

If something was custom made to your own spec you would not be able to return it, if it can be added to cart and bought its not custom spec as you can just buy it.

Paul Hynes makes excellent PSU's and has a long returns policy of 56 days :
http://www.paulhynesdesign.com/page8.html

There are many others available available of course such as the one David has on his site. ( No returns policy though ;) )

Maybe try more than one PSU and send the ones back you dont like or see if one of the DIY enthusiasts here can make you one.
There is a good thread somewhere on here by Leo about DIY PSU to give you ideas. Or just buy one, its easier.

RobbieGong
29-07-2011, 11:11
Thanks Mark, helpful . I'm not really looking to get rid of my Timestep to be honest for now as I've not had it that long and didn't pay silly money for it. This one caught my eye and I wondered if anyone had tried it. There are so many and the only way of getting an idea obviously is either getting a listen to as many on offer as poss which is very hard to do or get opinion from those who have tried a few. The Timestep isn't very big and sits perfectly next to my deck on the top shelf of my hifi rack. I kind of get the impression that the really good psu's are big, sadly I dont have the space for a big psu even if it is better than my Timestep. Another thing is I need to understand more about what they bring to the allimportant sonics what difference have other members noticed moving from one psu to another etc. As mentioned I wasn't able to listen to my Timestep on its own as it was fitted at the same time as the Mike New bearing. What would or should I have noticed if I had fitted the Timestep on its own ? I know there a quite a few out there who still have the standard Timestep and hopefully happy with it ??

Wakefield Turntables
29-07-2011, 13:21
Thanks Mark, helpful . I'm not really looking to get rid of my Timestep to be honest for now as I've not had it that long and didn't pay silly money for it. This one caught my eye and I wondered if anyone had tried it. There are so many and the only way of getting an idea obviously is either getting a listen to as many on offer as poss which is very hard to do or get opinion from those who have tried a few. The Timestep isn't very big and sits perfectly next to my deck on the top shelf of my hifi rack. I kind of get the impression that the really good psu's are big, sadly I dont have the space for a big psu even if it is better than my Timestep. Another thing is I need to understand more about what they bring to the allimportant sonics what difference have other members noticed moving from one psu to another etc. As mentioned I wasn't able to listen to my Timestep on its own as it was fitted at the same time as the Mike New bearing. What would or should I have noticed if I had fitted the Timestep on its own ? I know there a quite a few out there who still have the standard Timestep and hopefully happy with it ??

RobbieGong,

You made the cardinal sin of upgrading too much too soon! You need to upgrade but by bit and see if your upgrade has improved things sonically. I must admit that I also have made the upgrade too quickly error. I bought the whole Mike New kit in one fell swoop (basepate, bearing, platter, tonearm plate, the works)!! My latest simple tweek has been to place 6mm sorbothane sheet between my speaker stands and speakers, I think the base has firmed up and there is (I think) more coherence to the sound stage. But it's going to be 4-6 weeks of heavy listening before I add the next tweek to the system which will either be pure silver balanced interconnects or the SP7 power supply from Paul :eyebrows:

RobbieGong
29-07-2011, 13:51
Hi Rexton, I usually do these things one at a time, this is the only time I've done two upgrades at once as it has been recommended on this site, to do external power supply and Mike New bearing at the same time. Not a problem though as things sound lovely ;)

sq225917
29-07-2011, 15:52
It's a turntable power supply, all it can bring to the party is improved speed stability. How you perceive that is the question.

lurcher
29-07-2011, 17:43
+ lower noise both radiated and mains born.

Wakefield Turntables
29-07-2011, 18:22
It's a turntable power supply, all it can bring to the party is improved speed stability. How you perceive that is the question.

Its a quartz locked DD turn table, how much stability do you want!! it already has some of the lowest wow and flutter figures available even without an external PSU. External PSU (my perception) give better cohesion to the sound stage, it's very hard to describe but I know that the before and after results of my upgrades have been worth the money :cool:

MCRU
29-07-2011, 19:07
Reduced harmonic distortion is one area where my PSU does a good job, if it was just a case of knocking a few bits together to make the speed stability better it would not weigh 3kg and sell for nearly £500, after all all metal boxes can be opened to spy what is inside as hifi mags like to do when reviewing.

CableMaker1
30-07-2011, 13:53

Haver you heard it?

How would you rate your up and coming PSU compared to the Timestep, the Vantage Audio, This Fidelity Audio, and the Paul Hynes PSU SR levels 3, 5, and 7?

drrd
31-07-2011, 07:27
I've asked this before but has anyone posted up some recordings yet of stock Technics vs PSU-modified? Preferably from end-users and not manufacturers/retailers. David, when you say reduced harmonic distortion is that measured or just what you hear?
As far as lower noise goes I have my Technics connected to a balanced Equitech unit, I can't hear any transformer hum whatsoever and no additional noise as I move the arm across the table and that's with an MC and 70db of gain on the phono amp. The pitch stability is on a par with digital replay (comparing recordings of vinyl with ripped files). Technics have done a great job in marrying high torque and excellent stability and obviously they've been proven to be long-term essentially bombproof. I need convincing before I go messing with the PS.

sq225917
31-07-2011, 08:16
David, it's a power supply, it is exactly nothing more than knocking a few bits together and putting them in a box. Choose a nice transformer with as good load regulation and low stray RF as you can find. Maybe even spec a custom one with an electrostatic screen between primary and secondaries and a Goss band.

Select good high speed Schotky diodes with minimal switching noise, or maybe bypass them for added suppression. Throw on a bank of good low ESR smoothing caps, interleave them with either resistors or coils for a CRCRCR or CLCLCL filter, or maybe even add a decent wound choke for ultimate noise reduction.

Then send your lovely smooth DC through to a local regulator that will remove the last vestiges of mains borne and rectification noise, choose the best one you can find, so no simple 317 circuits, maybe add a gyrator if you are too tight to do the job properly. Maybe go to a tracking pre-reg for another 20db reduction across the board. Or if you are really keen something like like a Jung reg or similar active regulation, maybe one from Paul perhaps or maybe a Teddyreg if you don't mind losing that low impedance output for the sake of a few more db noise reduction across the board.

But whatever you do, it's not going to be worth £500

All it has to do is provide stable voltage with all little noise as possible, that's a relatively simple and well understood task that can be achieved easily. No point trying to mystify the process unless you're making money from that mystification.

I'll happily made anyone a PSU for parts cost, just let me know the output voltage required.

DSJR
31-07-2011, 10:00
Hi Simon,

I know we've clashed in the past, but your post above is one of the most common-sense approaches I've read for ages - thanks for that - although you know what it's like for many HiFi types with a few hundred quid to spend - they've GOT to have "the latest upgrade."

It does seem that the techie motor unit has particular demands, but maybe all that's needed is a high capacity and low noise/impedance supply. This is where my technical expertise abruptly runs out and other engineers on here would know so much more.

I said before that it sometimes seems as if the expertise at Matsushita was all but zero when this deck was designed and signed off for production. I do appreciate that careful cost compromises may have had to be made, but all this shouldmean is that upsetting this compromise may make the deck worse until another aspect is beefed up. I mean no offense to the likes of Marco and martinT and others, but I don't think they actually have Techie decks any more, despite the motor unit and plinth, as practically everything else has been changed..

lurcher
31-07-2011, 10:23
David, it's a power supply, it is exactly nothing more than knocking a few bits together and putting them in a box. Choose a nice transformer with as good load regulation and low stray RF as you can find. Maybe even spec a custom one with an electrostatic screen between primary and secondaries and a Goss band.

All the above is perfectly true, but the one thing you are missing is that you seem to be locked into thinking about things left to right. A power supply has two outputs, the voltage to the load, and the load it places on the mains supply. Both (IMHO) matter. Most solutions to improve the first one make the second one worst.

For that matter it also has two inputs, the mains coming into the supply and the load the turntable provides. It has to respond to both of these inputs.

I should admit my connection with Davids supply in the interest of openness.

sq225917
31-07-2011, 19:05
Nick, yeh there's mileage in what you do with the rectifiers in terms of making sure they don't spit crap up the mains as well as into the power supply. I usually manage that by sticking to Q-Speed Schotkys which are about as good as it gets. Some people like snubber networks in their rectifiers. As long as you aren't chopping it all up with half wave rectification you should be ok at mains frequencies.

I notice that the MCRU PSU has a choke in it. I assume they really do mean choke, as in inductive transformer choke, C-core or similar, as opposed to just a simple inductor coil. If they do mean that then hats off to them, I was both surprised and impressed with that, they are generally costly items to specify if sufficiently built to make a real difference.

If the PSU is filled with decent transformer of high VA and low leakage, good line regulation, full wave rectification, solid CLCLCCL with nicely wound inductors and low ESR caps and then followed up with 'real' transformer choke then it offers good value for money. In comparisson the Timestep PSU is basically a pointless piece of shit, other than the fact is relocates the current PSU outside of the deck.

lurcher
31-07-2011, 19:11
Yes, the MCRU supply which I should admit to designing, does use such a choke as you describe. And more to the point its working in choke input (as opposed to conventional cap input), so there is constant current drawn from the mains, which is what I mean by the mains inlet being considered a output.

kininigin
31-07-2011, 19:39
So basically,all i really needed to do was remove the stock technics psu and recase it and i would have the same effect as i got from spending £200 on a timestep?

If that is the case,it leaves a very sour taste in one's mouth.

MCRU
31-07-2011, 19:58
Yes, the MCRU supply which I should admit to designing, does use such a choke as you describe. And more to the point its working in choke input (as opposed to conventional cap input), so there is constant current drawn from the mains, which is what I mean by the mains inlet being considered a output.

Here is the latest PSU destined for a customer in Greece. It uses Furutech XLR sockets and IEC Inlet.

http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt309/themainsman/blackpsu.jpg

http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt309/themainsman/sockets.jpg

In response to an earlier question about how it compares to other PSU's, it was not designed to compare to others, it's mine and Nick's attempt to build the best PSU for the intended purpose hence the choke which was popular in the 80's but is not used often now because of cost. It has actually improved the sound of the rest of my equipment, something to do with reducing harmonic distortion, Nick can digress.

kininigin
31-07-2011, 20:08
In response to an earlier question about how it compares to other PSU's, it was not designed to compare to others, it's mine and Nick's attempt to build the best PSU for the intended purpose hence the choke which was popular in the 80's but is not used often now because of cost. It has actually improved the sound of the rest of my equipment, something to do with reducing harmonic distortion, Nick can digress.

Sounds and looks like a bit more thought went into this psu compared to the timestep by the sounds of it.

sq225917
31-07-2011, 20:14
Old school chokes, you boys will using valve rectification next... Nice to see someone coming at it from a different angle. Any graphs for the noise on the output?

sq225917
31-07-2011, 20:15
Darren, just removing the PSU might not give you 100% of the Timestep, but a lot of it..

MCRU
31-07-2011, 20:19
Sounds and looks like a bit more thought went into this psu compared to the timestep buy the sounds of it.

Of course, and I owned one of DC's PSU's at first, I also saw pictures of other people's PSU's and because I am a fan of Furutech, Oyaide etc I noted that nearly all other PSU's used basic plugs and connectors obviously because the designer either thought they made no difference to performance and/or used them for cost issues, I use Furutech gold plated connectors and Kimber cable for the DC lead, the proof of the pudding is in the eating!

One customer in Russia has asked for pure silver internal wiring throughout and a pure silver dc lead, I found a pure silver IEC inlet but could not find pure silver XLR sockets yet! As it stands it is £1000 if anyone wants one?

kininigin
31-07-2011, 20:30
Darren, just removing the PSU might not give you 100% of the Timestep, but a lot of it..

So if i was to build my own,how much in parts should i expect to pay to better the timestep in your opinion?

One customer in Russia has asked for pure silver internal wiring throughout and a pure silver dc lead, I found a pure silver IEC inlet but could not find pure silver XLR sockets yet! As it stands it is £1000 if anyone wants one?

I'll take 2 :ner:

RobbieGong
31-07-2011, 20:55
Like Darren, I have the Timestep, we'd both like to think we are getting some benefit having it over the stock techy psu in situ ?? Rather than make Darren and I feel like we have a piece of crap :eek: could someone kindly tell us the benefits we are getting over the stock psu in situ as we know there must be some. I spent half what a new Timestep would cost new on my Timestep so I'm not too sad but I do want to hear of its benefits :please: (Not many of us have £500 - £1000 to spend on a psu strangely enough. I've added KAB Fluid damper, Ortofon 2M Black (Superb!!), Mike New bearing (Excellent), and Timestep psu - sounding lovely - time to just enjoy the music me thinks !!) :eyebrows:

lurcher
31-07-2011, 21:21
Old school chokes, you boys will using valve rectification next... Nice to see someone coming at it from a different angle. Any graphs for the noise on the output?

Mercury Vapor I think, if something is worth doing its worth doing to excess :-)

BTW, David, chokes are from the 20's not the 80's :-), and they never went away. Border Patrol have been showing the advantage of choke input for some years now.

I will get some numbers done soon, David has been nagging me for some paperwork.

JazzBones
31-07-2011, 22:17
Like Darren, I have the Timestep, we'd both like to think we are getting some benefit having it over the stock techy psu in situ ?? Rather than make Darren and I feel like we have a piece of crap :eek: could someone kindly tell us the benefits we are getting over the stock psu in situ as we know there must be some. I spent half what a new Timestep would cost new on my Timestep so I'm not too sad but I do want to hear of its benefits :please: (Not many of us have £500 - £1000 to spend on a psu strangely enough. I've added KAB Fluid damper, Ortofon 2M Black (Superb!!), Mike New bearing (Excellent), and Timestep psu - sounding lovely - time to just enjoy the music me thinks !!) :eyebrows:

Rob, like grouse shooting time next month, the shooting down of the Linn LP12 and now Timestep PSUs it seems to be a past time for some people, even our own Marco :) to take pot shots for prejudicial reasons of their own. I own the Timestep HE PSU and live quite happily with it as it does the job required by me. By all means spend more if disposable income permits but there is a danger, a very real one, that hot rodding the 12XX can become a money pit. Bring your deck up to the standard YOU LIKE AND ENJOY and then sit back and enjoy. Your Technics is a means of playing music not forever wanting to instal the latest and greatest :scratch::doh:. Check out all the outboard supplies that are now commercially available since the American KAB one, to try out all these would end up scrambling your brain.... buy more vinyl, cds, tapes, downloads or whatever and enjoy MUSIC not power supplies etc. :)

:piano: Ron

lurcher
31-07-2011, 22:45
Check out all the outboard supplies that are now commercially available since the American KAB one, to try out all these would end up scrambling your brain.... buy more vinyl, cds, tapes, downloads or whatever and enjoy MUSIC not power supplies etc.

Well said, I was trying to find a way of saying the same. The existence of alternative supplies have no effect on the one you have and you are happy with. A replacement may be better, or it may be worst, but the thing you know for certain is the one you have makes you happy. I used to strongly dislike the continuous attempt at inducing dissatisfaction that companies like Naim seemed to encourage in their salesmen.

sq225917
31-07-2011, 23:12
You could take the LM317 or whatever it is in the Timestep and replace it with a suitable discrete regulator to cover the voltage and I suspect reasonable current it shifts. One of Paul regs would do the job admirably i'm sure as would one of Avondale's TPR2 tracking pre-regs.

Sorry I can't be more precise as I don't know what voltage/current the output actually is on the Timestep.

As Nick says if you re happy with it leave it as it is, there's little point in tail chasing for its own sake.

RobbieGong
01-08-2011, 09:59
Rob, like grouse shooting time next month, the shooting down of the Linn LP12 and now Timestep PSUs it seems to be a past time for some people, even our own Marco :) to take pot shots for prejudicial reasons of their own. I own the Timestep HE PSU and live quite happily with it as it does the job required by me. By all means spend more if disposable income permits but there is a danger, a very real one, that hot rodding the 12XX can become a money pit. Bring your deck up to the standard YOU LIKE AND ENJOY and then sit back and enjoy. Your Technics is a means of playing music not forever wanting to instal the latest and greatest :scratch::doh:. Check out all the outboard supplies that are now commercially available since the American KAB one, to try out all these would end up scrambling your brain.... buy more vinyl, cds, tapes, downloads or whatever and enjoy MUSIC not power supplies etc. :)

:piano: Ron

I hear you big time Ron and these are my sentiments exactly. Honestly not knocking anyone who can or wants to indulge the 'mod to the max' route at all. My own experience is that the techy is a nice sounding deck from the off and a pleasure to use. Simply adding a decent cartridge makes it sound nicer which I found everytime I did just that. At each step of adding an upgrade I've still enjoyed the sound and music coming from it ie, 2M Blue, 2M Black, KAB fluid damper etc- the techy has a sound (as we know) which mine has retained during these upgrades. The last upgrades I added have been the Mike New bearing which for me is a big upgrade coupled with the Timestep external psu, now this is where the sound has changed, not for the worse or anything like that it is just I'm aware that it sounds different and this is where others have pointed out that there comes a point where the techy starts to not be a techy if you know what I mean. Remember I still have the original platter and arm so heaven knows how much some of these seriously hot rodded techies sound has changed from the original. Mine with the arm and platter still has enough of the techy flavour I like whilst giving me that realism of the recording and extracting those nuances within the recording i like to be revealed as a result of the changes made. I guess what I'm saying is the same as you which is that you dont necessarilly have to spend your life savings on this turntable to make it sound good unless of course you want to and can afford it. If your not careful you will drive yourself crazy looking at everything available, listening to opinion and following every possible upgrade out there - Yes, with the techy you can truly enjoy the music without going deep deep deep into the modding route :)

DSJR
01-08-2011, 10:10
Ron, you've got it in one again :)

The thing is, it seems many of "us" hobbyists like to tweak to the max our pockets will allow, so common sense usually goes out of the window. Some manufacturers and distributers seem to have cottoned on over the years and played to this, charging what they think the hobbyists will pay for such "upgrades."

Give me the rega approach - well, apart from their flagship products which cost dear, yet perform better than many "audiophool" brands costing thousands more I reckon...

Audioman
01-08-2011, 10:52
As someone who has never used a technics can I add a neutral (I hope) viewpoint. I think there is a limit to upgrading any product. As someone pointed out it eventualy ends up something else. If you can afford to spend 3K on upgrading a Techy you can afford a little more on a top audiophile deck. Contrary to some opinions most above this price point beat all Regas including the P9 in my opinion but it all depends on taste. The main attraction of SL1200 seems to be speed stability of the DD system and it's wide availability. The later a situation slightly diminished by manufacturing being discontinued. Technics stated this was to a large extent due to parts availability. Not a situation that bodes well in the medium term.

All the improved power supplies obviously make a difference but: (A) Do the cheaper offerings improve greatly over moving stock electronics of board and (B) Are they overpriced for fairly simple electronic designs ? That is for the buyer to decide. What is so unique about the technics electronics ? Most of the design development probably is in the electronic quartz control rather than the 'motor'. I don't think it would be beyomd the wit and experience of a small elecronics company to replicate the DD system for use in a proper audiophile design and since such DD's are used in cheaper Chinese built decks I can't see a patent problem.

Given the present market situation and the priority of listening to music without endless fiddling and pontificating on the various options I am sure the goal of accurate speed stability and neutral sound can be found elsewhere. Unfortunately the move to many apparent upgrade choices rather than just Timestep's offerings has driven many of you techy owners into a right old tizz. If you are looking to spend 1K plus upgrading an SL1200 can I point you in the direction of Mitchell, Avid, Notts Analogue or for the well healed SME 20/3, TW Acoustics or Brinkman - etc etc etc.

colinB
01-08-2011, 10:59
I think most owners of the 1200 want to fix possible flaws in the deck, flaws that may be there due to its dj use. David Cawley started this of by stating the regulator doesnt work properly and appeared to have scope pictures to back this up. Other opinions seem to say there is nothing wrong with the regulator but the psu needs to moved from underneath the platter.
All very confusing and frustrating for the user.

kininigin
01-08-2011, 13:08
As someone who has never used a technics can I add a neutral (I hope) viewpoint. I think there is a limit to upgrading any product. As someone pointed out it eventualy ends up something else. If you can afford to spend 3K on upgrading a Techy you can afford a little more on a top audiophile deck.

This is where i think your slightly missing the point,you can upgrade the technics a little at a time when funds permit and gradualy improve it's performance whilst having a solid deck to start with.

I certainly don't have £3000 to splash out in one lump sum and im guessing a majority taking this route don't either.As for it not being a technics after extensive mods,im not sure that really matters.I for one don't really care what it is called after some alterations as long as it sounds good :)

RobbieGong
01-08-2011, 14:38
I hear you and that is the route I've taken. Each mod one at a time bar the last two I did together. That said, the point I'm making is that you dont necessarily have to keep modding the techy relentlessly, whether you spend all at once or not to get it to sing, that's what I have found during my modding journey totalling around £1200 now, it was singing before I hit £1200 thats for sure. No problem with modding this deck, it's a passion for us and can be fun as well as frustrating too trying this trying that, again, there's surely a point where just backing off enjoying your mods and enjoying the music makes sense - thats where I'm at ;) On that note I'm off to listen to some Bill Withers and some Billy Paul....

MCRU
01-08-2011, 19:47
I hear you and that is the route I've taken. Each mod one at a time bar the last two I did together. That said, the point I'm making is that you dont necessarily have to keep modding the techy relentlessly, whether you spend all at once or not to get it to sing, that's what I have found during my modding journey totalling around £1200 now, it was singing before I hit £1200 thats for sure. No problem with modding this deck, it's a passion for us and can be fun as well as frustrating too trying this trying that, again, there's surely a point where just backing off enjoying your mods and enjoying the music makes sense - thats where I'm at ;) On that note I'm off to listen to some Bill Withers and some Billy Paul....

The up-grading of anything can be quite addictive, I went to a clients house today not far away from where I live, I could hear the tunes as soon as I pulled up and in I went, massive pair of Tannoy Dimensions running off Bel Canto CD transport, dac and power amps, the chap had spent a lot of time and effort over the years up-grading his system and it did sound excellent I have to say, I suggested some granite slabs to put under the speakers as they were resting on the carpet on a wooden floor, not nice IMHO.

Anyway to the point, the mains cables when I first listened were the free chord ones that hifi choice etc give away with a subscription, not bad compared to a kettle lead. The music sounded exceptionally good, then I connected my DC blocker connected to a 4 gang schuko mains block with black rhodium super jazz cables, and some say mains cables are snake oil, it was astonishing to hear the vast improvement, much the same as putting a new platter or a new tone-arm cable or new PSU on your techie, up-grade itis, long may it live.:)

Marco
01-08-2011, 19:50
This is where i think your slightly missing the point,you can upgrade the technics a little at a time when funds permit and gradualy improve it's performance whilst having a solid deck to start with.

I certainly don't have £3000 to splash out in one lump sum and im guessing a majority taking this route don't either.As for it not being a technics after extensive mods,im not sure that really matters.I for one don't really care what it is called after some alterations as long as it sounds good :)

Good post, Darren. I concur completely.

Regarding the bit in bold, it will *always* be a Techy, simply because the heart of the T/T (and the star of the show) is the phenomenally good (and uber-accurate) Technics Quartz controlled direct-drive motor mechanism. The rest of its constituent parts are simply the 'supporting cast' - no more.

You don't get much more modified than my own SL-1210, but it will always be a Techy! Like I've said many times before, even though I've spent £3.5k on mine, it sonically outperforms other so-called 'audiophile' turntables I've heard at many times that price, and certainly some of the ones Paul mentioned ;)

Maybe I should do an AoS 'road-show', and take my modded Techy around the country to various AoS member's homes, and show those who are uncertain just how good it is as a genuine 'audiophile' T/T....

Paul, would you be up for a visit sometime, and you can judge it against your Michell and form your own opinion, based on first-hand experience? :cool:

Marco.

MCRU
01-08-2011, 19:52
I have heard it and it's NOT that good...:ner:

Marco
01-08-2011, 20:02
Haha... Aye, reet-o, that'll be why I heard that bump after your jaw bounced off of the floor (and that was in Nick's system)! :lol: :ner:

Anyway, shweety, we'll see what you say when I bring it round to Brook Towers! ;)

Marco.

MCRU
01-08-2011, 20:05
I think Nick's SP10 sounded better personally, oh shit did I really say that..

Maybe when you took it out of your Benz you must have messed up the VTA etc, etc.

Only messin.

Marco
01-08-2011, 20:08
:lolsign:

Marco.

lurcher
01-08-2011, 21:20
I think Nick's SP10 sounded better personally, oh shit did I really say that..

Maybe when you took it out of your Benz you must have messed up the VTA etc, etc.

Only messin.

I have to step in here. No it didn't, the sp10 needs some time spending on its setup, the cart needs re tipping, its better now on a rack from where you heard it. I know you are just taking the *iss, but facts are facts.

:-)

Marco
01-08-2011, 21:52
Lol - no worries, Nick. As you know, it was just a bit of banter with David :cool:

As an aside, I'd love to hear a Jelco 750 on your SP10. I think you'd like it (as would your 103R).... ;)

Marco.

Marco
02-08-2011, 11:32
Paul, would you be up for a visit sometime, and you can judge it against your Michell and form your own opinion, based on first-hand experience? :cool:

From your silence, Paul, I guess that's a 'no'? ;)

Marco.

Audioman
02-08-2011, 15:04
From your silence, Paul, I guess that's a 'no'? ;)

Marco.

Only just come back to the thread. If you're doing a tour I would be up for a comparison. Will depend when as I am in middle of a move which will probably take a few months anyway. I was not claiming any of the mentioned tables are better (or worse) than the techy. Just different choices to moding. I would expect the amount you have spent to be competitive up to 4K at least.

Paul.

MCRU
02-08-2011, 15:49
A tour playing your TT around the country, that is serious dedication, TBH all you really need to do is take it to Whittlebury and find someone who will plumb it into their system for you, sorted. Maybe DC will do it as he will be there.:lolsign:

sq225917
02-08-2011, 18:06
I'd pay to see Marco ask that question.

Marco
02-08-2011, 18:07
Lol... I'd love to walk up to his stall and say: 'Right, Creepy, get that Evo pish out of the way and make room for a proper Techy!!' Bet the look on his face would be priceless!!! :lol: :lolsign:

Enough people heard my T/T at Scalford Hall, though, and were suitably impressed. You're coming next year, daftee, so you'll hear it again there (along with Martin's) ;)

Paul, nice one... Give me a shout when you've completed your move! :cool:

Marco.

RobbieGong
02-08-2011, 18:20
You guys are a scream :lolsign: naughty boys - ha ha !! :)