PDA

View Full Version : Any good valve amp engineers in South Wales area?

Hozepipe
22-10-2008, 21:01
My Audio Research amps need a look-at. Does anyone know of, or better, can recommend a valve amp expert in my vicinity, say a 50 mile radius of Newport South Wales?

The power amp weighs a ton so I'd have to drive it to whoever looks at it and I'd like to be able to speak to them face-to-face to explain about the problem.

I don't know for sure if there's anything wrong with it, but something in my system isn't right in the HF. I don't trust the major dealers so I won't be taking it to any of them. I don't mind if it's a serious amateur, just someone who's honest, knows his (or her) stuff and not looking to rip me off really.

simon

Marco
22-10-2008, 21:38
Most certainly there is, Simon. We have our very own Anthony Matthews from Tube Distinctions in Hengoed in South Wales. He's top-notch. You can contact him through his website :)

http://www.tubedistinctions.co.uk/main.htm

Marco.

Hozepipe
22-10-2008, 21:56
Cheers Marco, that's not far at all, Hengoed's got to be about 25mins in the car, I was up there not so long ago on business. I'll check out his site.

s

Steve Toy
22-10-2008, 22:08
Anthony is one of our moderators. Look at my avatar above...

Hozepipe
22-10-2008, 22:18
I guess that counts as a recommendation :)

Marco
22-10-2008, 22:22
You better believe it!

Simon, in your area you quite simply won't find anyone better, and in fact even beyond! Steve and I both use Anthony and we're bloody miles away! :smoking:

Apart from being extremely knowledgeable and experienced in what he does in a technical sense, you won't find a nicer guy to deal with.

Marco.

Steve Toy
23-10-2008, 00:48
I think at the last count Wrexham was 133 miles from Hengoed and Mid Staffs was 120. As well as designing and manufacturing some very high-end hybrid valve amplifiers along with a solid state pre (Soul Series), Anthony repairs, modifies and upgrades amps by other manufacturers. The sheer musicality of both his own amps and those he's modified is quite remarkable.

He also carries stocks of all kinds of valves both NOS and new production.

Hozepipe
23-10-2008, 09:21
Thanks Steven. I'll be giving him a call!

Marco
23-10-2008, 09:59
I believe Anthony's sent you a PM :)

Marco.