PDA

View Full Version : Timestep PSU Modification

CableMaker1
26-07-2011, 03:23
Has anyone tried performing any modifications to improve the Timestep PSU to an elevated level?

I hear that using better lead wires from the DC out to the TT could help.

Has anyone tried going from a standard DC 2 wire out to a possible 3 wire XLR DC output to improve performance of the DC output?

Mike

chris@panteg
26-07-2011, 08:56
Hi Mike

It might make a small difference , but here's a suggestion ! Replace the LM317 regulator with the LM305 , could be worth trying ? Some input from Paul Hynes would be useful ! I might keep mine if it can be lmproved !

chris@panteg
26-07-2011, 10:55
Hi Mike

It might make a small difference , but here's a suggestion ! Replace the LM317 regulator with the LM305 , could be worth trying ? Some input from Paul Hynes would be useful ! I might keep mine if it can be lmproved !

A quick update on this idea , I've just been informed its not really feasable so scrap that one Mike !

CableMaker1
26-07-2011, 23:36
A quick update on this idea , I've just been informed its not really feasable so scrap that one Mike !

Thanks for the update. It would be great if the TS-PSU could be modified.

Paul Hynes
27-07-2011, 12:37
Hello Mike,

Chris is right, it would not really be worth the effort as changing three terminal regulators (or other multi-terminal chip regulators like the LM305) would only give small performance changes, some good, some not so good. These chip regulators were originally designed for simple solutions for industrial applications where precision did not have to be too high. You can try substituting alternatives to the LM317 but do not expect too much. The Linear Technology versions are sometimes used for this.

To upgrade the TS-PSU in a worthwhile way would require a radically better regulation system so you would have to remove the regulator module from the case and replace it with a better solution. The mains transformer is a 30VA unit and this could be increased in size too. There is not a lot of space in the case for adding “off the shelf” regulator modules so you would be better to DIY a new power supply and sell the TS on to someone else. This could actually be relatively cost effective as the money you get for the TS could go quite a long way towards a good DIY solution.

Leo did a very good description of a DIY option on :-

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8920

He shows how to build an outboard supply as well as further internal SL1200 mods.

Regards
Paul

CableMaker1
28-07-2011, 00:06
Hello Mike,

This could actually be relatively cost effective as the money you get for the TS could go quite a long way towards a good DIY solution.

Leo did a very good description of a DIY option on :-

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8920

He shows how to build an outboard supply as well as further internal SL1200 mods.

Regards
Paul

Hello Paul.

I want to build a DIY version of your PS. :lolsign: I am sure plenty others would also chime in on this.

Thanks for the thread. I will check it out.