PDA

View Full Version : Classic Marantz CD50 and CD80

Tweedle-Dee
23-07-2011, 18:23
Two classic TDA1541A-based players from a time when cost was secondary to build quality. Both units are in amazing condition (an easy 9 out of 10; with 1 being deducted because of their age), come with original remote controls and work flawlessly. Postage for both units at cost, but this may be a bit for the CD80 due to its weight.

Marantz CD50; I've owned this for 3 - 4 months only having had the intention to modify it, I just can't see me having the time to do this, so it is offered here. The unit must have only ever had very light use (remote looks virtually new) and as such, is a rare find, given that most of these players have had a hard life. I'm looking for £60 for it. This unit features the better quality CDM4 composite mechanism and still has the original transport bolts.

Marantz CD80; A very reluctant sale this - I have owned 3 in my time and this is by far the best sounding and best condition example of the lot. I had to search for quite a while to find one as good as this. Featuring cast chassis, copper shielded casing, CDM1 mk2 mechanism and selected S1 (single crown) TDA1541A chip, this unit has battleship build qualities. For the TDA1541A nerds (like me) the DAC chip is the earlier and most sought after Holland production run in 1988, when they were making the S2 selections.

In many repects I prefer the sound of the CD80 to that of the CD94 mkII - the CD80 is more detailed, with a deft bass and more extended treble. The CD80 was Ken Ishiwata's first full CD design for Marantz. It is rapidly gaining recognition for its fine build and sonic qualities and at £250 is a fair bit less than a CD94, yet has an equivalent design and build ethos.

I would be delighted to answer any questions here, or if anyone wants to make an offer or perhaps suggest an interesting swap for either item, please PM me. Also happy to send a few detailed photos to anyone who would like them.

Thanks for your interest,

Kind regards,
TD

Spectral Morn
24-07-2011, 22:30
PM sent re CD80

Regards D S D L

Tweedle-Dee
23-01-2016, 09:17
Marantz CD80 back up for sale - I ended keeping it when last advertised. Price now includes delivery within the UK.

Please see additional photos

Tweedle-Dee
29-01-2016, 10:00
Bump and price reduction to £225 delivered within the UK

Please note that this is the model with both fixed and variable (via a motorised Alps pot) outputs.