PDA

View Full Version : Most you have paid for a record?

colinB
21-07-2011, 13:54
I received a email from Amazon this morning telling me the Lp im after is now available. This is a vinyl copy of my favorite cd Gilles Peterson impressed, a comp of British 60s jazz.
I logged on to find the seller wants £100 for it. Im having a bit of trouble with that , even though i spend that on equipment at the blink of an eye.
So whats the most you have spent on a record?

nat8808
21-07-2011, 14:05
£35.. Had this idea I would have at least one collection of rare-ish records and decided to collect all of Zoviet France's stuff. Have given up now - can't be bothered and just as happy finding it on line to download (it's not on any current release either so is the only way to get it without searching for old records).

The difference in reality of getting a few tracks on CD or via download is not that great and not worth the expense unless you're rich.

If you MUST have the vinyl, it's much better to invest the money you would have spent into some kind of business and actually get rich so you can buy what you want later!

Concentrate on getting rich first, I say, THEN act rich.. Or save up and buy a recently deceased rich collector's collection at once at a discounted price.

Thing Fish
21-07-2011, 14:16
There are a few records I really want at the moment but they are going for what I consider silly money ie £60+ so I won't be buying them.

I have set a personal limit of £20 for a record but to be honest begrudge paying even that. I would much prefer finding it used for a fraction of the price. You also get a buzz when you find one...:)

Alex_UK
21-07-2011, 14:22
Can't remember exactly which ones, but I paid around £50-65 for two or three of the Cafe Del Mar series of CDs - I've got them all now, so I just had to complete the set... Never play the bloomin' things though!

Tim
21-07-2011, 14:37
£25.00 for an out of print Pineapple Thief CD - Variations on a Dream

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/54/Variations_on_a_dream.jpg

Thing Fish
21-07-2011, 15:04
I paid £30 for a pretty mint vinyl original UK first pressing of Frank Zappa's 'Ruben and the jets' about 15 years ago.

colinB
21-07-2011, 15:52
Sensible people, i applaud your posts and feel stupid even contemplating such a transaction.
I spent £30 on a recordshop day special and it had a nasty scratch. I found out after throwing away the receipt.

Thing Fish
21-07-2011, 15:58
I spent £30 on a recordshop day special and it had a nasty scratch. I found out after throwing away the receipt.

Ooh that's harsh. Sorry to hear that...:(

sparrow
21-07-2011, 16:34
Paid £85 fo a CD of Tangerine Dreams ''The Keep'' £56 for Rush album ''Counterparts'' on vinyl...loads at £20 - £30 but I hav quite a few that are worth a fair bit more than I paid for.

colinB
21-07-2011, 16:58
Justifiable if its an investment.
I have a thing about getting vinyl editions of my favorite cds such as the one i referred to but sometimes that can be a disapointment especially so with the new releases or 80s vinyl.
Splashing out on a first press American Led Zep album you will always get your money back.

Haselsh1
21-07-2011, 18:15
I would not pay more than 26 quid for vinyl and around 12 quid for a CD. I am at the moment contemplating a 26 quid purchase of some vinyl but it is only at that stage... contemplating.

Pete The Cat
21-07-2011, 20:25
Nothing over £30 that's been a commercially available release ;)

Pete

Rare Bird
21-07-2011, 22:13
£155.00 years ago for a totally mint Dr. Z - Three Parts To My Soul (UK 1st Issue Swirl Vertigo) LP.. said to be less than 100 pressed.

It sounds a lot but i saw one finish last year on auction for over £1,800.00.. I used to own a near complete collection of 1st issue Swirly Vertigo albums, if i'd have sat on them till now i'd be very financially well off.

Thing Fish
21-07-2011, 22:17
I bought a Roger Taylor withdrawn sleeve in the 80's for £7.50 and sold it last year for £600. Which was nice...:)

colinB
22-07-2011, 17:28
Just seen another lp i would love to own. Hum Dono by Amancio d`silva and Joe Harriott. Yours at buy it now price of £1200 :stalks:

DanJennings
22-07-2011, 18:00
OK, well I'm a bit silly.

£40 for the recent issue of XTC - Skylarking on vinyl
£50 for the recent reissue of Pantera - Cowboy's From Hell
£80 for the super deluxe edition of Metallica - Death Magnetic
£160 for the super duper edition of AC/DC - Backtracks

I bidded £150 for a CD single of XTC - Wrapped in Grey once, but I was outbid at the last second.

Wakefield Turntables
22-07-2011, 18:03
£50 for the 2nd Egg album, and very good it is too!!

tannoy man
22-07-2011, 19:00
In real terms it was The Beatles 1962-1966 (the red album) bought in the early 70's from my Mum's Grattan catalogue. It was paid for over 20 Weeks at 30 Pence per wk I think. As a young Teenager with a Saturday job Beatles Records were very expensive, it's been in constant rotation ever since, and is still in great condition.
Other Records bought this way were
The Blue Album
Dark Side of the Moon
Wish you were here
Manfred Mann's Earthband, The Roaring Silence

colinB
22-07-2011, 19:57
In real terms it was The Beatles 1962-1966 (the red album) bought in the early 70's from my Mum's Grattan catalogue. It was paid for over 20 Weeks at 30 Pence per wk I think. As a young Teenager with a Saturday job Beatles Records were very expensive, it's been in constant rotation ever since, and is still in great condition.
Other Records bought this way were
The Blue Album
Dark Side of the Moon
Wish you were here
Manfred Mann's Earthband, The Roaring Silence

Great story. Reminded me how much of a big thing it was buying a record.
Memories of buying 45s from John Menzies and Boots audio ha ha.

Alex_UK
22-07-2011, 20:34
Good point - numpty here became a member of Britannia in about 1987, and ended up with all sorts of shite I didn't want because I forgot to post back the little slip each month...

s70rmp
22-07-2011, 20:57
lets just say it was had three figures before the decimal point !

colinB
22-07-2011, 21:19
Woo! C`mon , what was it?

Rare Bird
23-07-2011, 13:20
Memories of buying 45s from John Menzies and Boots audio ha ha.

I remember when Boots & Woolworths used to sell Albums. Infact their was a record label called 'Windmill' in which it's records were distributed through the Woolworths chain. Bram Stoker 'Heavy Rock Spectacular' being one of em..

Tim
23-07-2011, 13:27
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/image.jpg

Whoa, check you out Andr'e, great Avatar ;)

(sorry I'm off topic, but had to comment..... not seen that since 1974. I had a yellow denim jacket with that sewn on as a patch :) )

Rare Bird
23-07-2011, 13:43
Whoa, check you out Andr'e, great Avatar ;)

(sorry I'm off topic, but had to comment..... not seen that since 1974. I had a yellow denim jacket with that sewn on as a patch :) )

I'm trying to find my programme, it's in a box somewhere with a load of other ELP Programmes, ticket stubs, patches etc :(

Vinyleyes
03-08-2011, 14:07
103 quid for an absolutely Mint copy of Roger Waters' double album masterpiece .. Amused to Death .... Now that is an album to check out your sysytem with ... :cool: .....

Gearing up for much more than that though as I look for some Hendrix 1st pressings for my Crissy presi ... :stalks:

serendipitydawg
03-08-2011, 18:42
As someone who scratched a living as a record dealer in the '90's the prices you all have paid almost makes me want to start up again!

I long ago resolved to never pay more than £10 for any single unit of music (CD or LP)

Some of the best sounding vinyl I've owned was either free or bought in a charity shop

MartinT
03-08-2011, 19:35
In the same week three weeks ago I paid 50p for one record and £48 for another. It's all supply and demand, innit?

Audioman
05-08-2011, 13:27
103 quid for an absolutely Mint copy of Roger Waters' double album masterpiece .. Amused to Death .... Now that is an album to check out your sysytem with ... :cool: .....

Gearing up for much more than that though as I look for some Hendrix 1st pressings for my Crissy presi ... :stalks:

Great Sound but worth £100+ ? - though seen it go for more.

Patience will be rewarded as new RW vinyl is in the pipeline.

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/latest/roger-waters-vinyl-remasters-in-the-pipeline.html

The most I have paid for a used LP is under £50 and I won't go above this as there is not such a thing as truly mint for sale.

Beechwoods
05-08-2011, 19:24
The first album I pushed the boat out for was an original of Mick Softley's Sunrise, which I paid about £45 for. I had a copy on a very poor nth gen cassette and I absolutely needed an upgrade :) 10 years later it came out on a double CD.

JL9bUVURNf4

I've bid £120 for a demo tape by The Pale Saints and lost - it went for £145. I've bid £75 for a Marillion Demo tape (the Roxon Demo) and won for £40. I bid £55 for a single by The Murrumbidgee Whalers recently and it went for £113. I had no idea I was the only person who really wanted that single!

I figure if you want something you have to be realistic about how much it would mean to own a copy, and go for it. For me, yeah, you can download stuff, get a tape of it off a friend or whatever, but the original will always sound better, and for that reason it's worth saving and going for it!

Reid Malenfant
05-08-2011, 19:32
Ouch, about £150 for a CD album (http://www.discogs.com/Hearts-Of-Space-Hearts-Of-Space/release/16580) :eyebrows: Then again with only 500 of them worldwide & looking at the prices on Discogs (http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?release_id=16580&ev=rb) for a mint copy i didn't do too badly :ner:

Lets just say that i'm happy & the CD was worth it :cool: I'm worth it to...Loreal anyone :lol:

Barry
05-08-2011, 21:53
£25 for a vinyl copy of John Fahey - 'Blind Joe Death' (which is not pristine and is missing the booklet relating the tale of Blind Joe Death. :()

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61XmJ7VQyLL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

and £25 for a near mint American vinyl pressing of Janis Ian - 'Society's Child'

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/416E95YNTWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
(similar, but not identical to the LP sleeve)

Bought for a friend of mine, who gave it back to me, once he had the CD version! :) (I already had a cheap Rolf Harris 'wobble board' vinyl pressing - bought in Holland.)

cesrig
07-08-2011, 19:58
$60 for a first pressing Pestilence record is the highest I've gone. I'd still be stoked about that Fahey record, Barry, insert or not. Beyond just getting the CD versions off Amazon I've never found any of his vinyl anywhere.

WOStantonCS100
08-08-2011, 06:28
£55 ($90) Stereolab Aluminum Tunes ltd. ed. box set with 3 colored vinyls, colored 7" vinyl and t-shirt (I'd wear it; but, I can't fit in it; just wouldn't be a pretty sight). I probably over-paid for it; impulse buy. I figured I'd never see it in a store again. I was spot on with that assumption. I love the band's music, though and would never sell it.

The LP I really want; however, comes up on fleecebay every so often. I won't say what it is; but, it routinely goes for over :stalks: £183 ($300). I have not been willing to pull the trigger on that. It's crazy money to me especially when hard to find lp's are being reissued by the boat load these days. With my luck, I'd purchase it on auction and the next day it would go for £8 as a reissue. :doh: I can deal with slightly less fidelity for a reissue if I can save £175!!!