PDA

View Full Version : FS SL1200 Achromat

chris@panteg
21-07-2011, 07:50
Up for grabs is my 1200 Achromat , less than a year old and in as new condition.

Looking for 45 squid plus 2 for the p and p.

Marco
21-07-2011, 08:07
Hi Chris,

I'm sure you'll sell that, no problem. What are you getting instead? :)

Marco.

kininigin
21-07-2011, 08:16
I have the 3mm version which goes over the lip of the 1200,would i see any improvement with this mat?

chris@panteg
21-07-2011, 08:26
Hi Chris,

I'm sure you'll sell that, no problem. What are you getting instead? :)

Marco.

Hi Marco

I have the VA platter , no need for any mat now , its really starting to come together.

I know you find it hard to believe ! But it has this vinyl coating which kind of acts as an integrated mat.

Richard brought one other item round which I'm now lusting after ! But i won't go into that just yet.

chris@panteg
21-07-2011, 08:31
I have the 3mm version which goes over the lip of the 1200,would i see any improvement with this mat?

Hi Darren

I never tried the 3 mm mat , but did have the standard 5mm for while , this mat i have here fits it perfectly ! But you do need to bond it very well to the platter as Marco and Martin advocate.

kininigin
21-07-2011, 08:38
Hi Darren

I never tried the 3 mm mat , but did have the standard 5mm for while , this mat i have here fits it perfectly ! But you do need to bond it very well to the platter as Marco and Martin advocate.

Im not sure if there will be that much difference between the two.I have a think and let someone else have the chance to buy for now.

Marco
21-07-2011, 10:58
Hi Chris,

I have the VA platter , no need for any mat now , its really starting to come together.

Nice one - I've just read your update. Just to be 100% sure though, have you tried using the Achromat in conjunction with the VA platter (resetting VTA, of course)?

Or did you just automatically presume that you didn't need it? You never know, it might be even better (or worse).... Best to be sure!

Richard brought one other item round which I'm now lusting after ! But i won't go into that just yet.

Sounds intriguing :eyebrows:

Marco.

Marco
21-07-2011, 11:33
Hi Darren,

Im not sure if there will be that much difference between the two.I have a think and let someone else have the chance to buy for now.

How's it going, dude? :)

I've just changed from a 3mm to a 5mm Achromat, and confirm that I heard a worthwhile difference. I can go into more detail if you like :cool:

Marco.

chris@panteg
21-07-2011, 14:25
The problem with using the achromat with the VA platter is the coating ! If i bonded the mat , it would ruin the finnish .

kininigin
21-07-2011, 14:30
Hi Darren,

How's it going, dude? :)

I've just changed from a 3mm to a 5mm Achromat, and confirm that I heard a worthwhile difference. I can go into more detail if you like :cool:

Marco.
Im good marco,hope your well

yes please,having had a play around with my setup which is sounding better,id be interested in the difference between the two.And of course i can sell my mat to reduce the cost.

I think i just talked myself into buying it :lolsign:

Marco
21-07-2011, 14:32
Don't bond it then, Chris, and see what happens... Remember to reset VTA beforehand ;)

Just want to ensure that you're not selling something which *could* (if although unlikely) improve things further.

Marco.

kininigin
21-07-2011, 14:54
Im good marco,hope your well

yes please,having had a play around with my setup which is sounding better,id be interested in the difference between the two.And of course i can sell my mat to reduce the cost.

I think i just talked myself into buying it :lolsign:

In case you missed my post marco

colinB
21-07-2011, 15:01
Darren, selling you the achromat was a mistake, the herbie\soundfi mat is very noisy in comparison. I think a thicker mat would be better and i think chris`s mat fits into the Technics lip if im not mistaken.
I would be interested but i want to try the vantage one or the oyaide one.

kininigin
21-07-2011, 15:06
Darren, selling you the achromat was a mistake, the herbie\soundfi mat is very noisy in comparison. I think a thicker mat would be better and i think chris`s mat fits into the Technics lip if im not mistaken.
I would be interested but i want to try the vantage one or the oyaide one.

Are you still using the herbies? I didn't know you wasn't happy with that mat,i would have sent the one you sold me back to you otherwise.

Well if your not happy with what you have got you can have first dibs on the funk mat if chris still wants to sell.

colinB
21-07-2011, 15:12
Cheers Darren but i think i wil wait, mainly out of vanity. I want a shiny mat :doh:

Marco
21-07-2011, 15:37
In case you missed my post marco

Haha... Sorry, mate - I did miss it! :doh:

Here's the story....

I originally bought a 3mm Achromat because I wanted its effect but was worried that a 5mm one wouldn't leave enough spindle length to allow me to use my record clamp, as my MN platter is thicker than others, with having the copper plate annealed to it.

When I recently fitted the new Paul Hynes solid-silver DC lead (an absolute must, btw, for anyone serious about getting the most from their Techy and its partnering PSU - it doesn't have to be a Paul Hynes one), the 3mm Achromat I had got a bit damaged when I had to prize it off my platter, bonded like no tomorrow with Vaseline and the supplied self-adhesive pads, in order to get at the Techy's PCB, to wire-in the new DC lead.

Consequently afterwards, it wouldn't sit completely flat on the platter. Therefore, I had to buy another one, so I thought why not try a 5mm this time?

Turns out I needn't have worried, because when it arrived, not only did it fit fine, in terms of spindle length left, but it also sounded much better than the 3mm one it replaced - something I didn't really expect!

Basically, the 5mm one dampens the platter even more, and so further reduces any resonance. You also seem to get more of the 'Achromat effect', as indeed is correctly stated in the accompanying blurb. Fitting the 5mm mat results in greater clarity and solidity, faster transient attack, more impactful bass, and an even lower noise-floor during playback.

Anyway, sorry for waffling on... :lol:

In short: just buy it - it's a no-brainer!!

Marco.

kininigin
21-07-2011, 18:52
Haha... Sorry, mate - I did miss it! :doh:

Here's the story....

I originally bought a 3mm Achromat because I wanted its effect but was worried that a 5mm one wouldn't leave enough spindle length to allow me to use my record clamp, as my MN platter is thicker than others, with having the copper plate annealed to it.

When I recently fitted the new Paul Hynes solid-silver DC lead (an absolute must, btw, for anyone serious about getting the most from their Techy and its partnering PSU - it doesn't have to be a Paul Hynes one), the 3mm Achromat I had got a bit damaged when I had to prize it off my platter, bonded like no tomorrow with Vaseline and the supplied self-adhesive pads, in order to get at the Techy's PCB, to wire-in the new DC lead.

Consequently afterwards, it wouldn't sit completely flat on the platter. Therefore, I had to buy another one, so I thought why not try a 5mm this time?

Turns out I needn't have worried, because when it arrived, not only did it fit fine, in terms of spindle length left, but it also sounded much better than the 3mm one it replaced - something I didn't really expect!

Basically, the 5mm one dampens the platter even more, and so further reduces any resonance. You also seem to get more of the 'Achromat effect', as indeed is correctly stated in the accompanying blurb. Fitting the 5mm mat results in greater clarity and solidity, faster transient attack, more impactful bass, and an even lower noise-floor during playback.

Anyway, sorry for waffling on... :lol:

In short: just buy it - it's a no-brainer!!

Marco.

thanks for the succinct info there marco :lol:

Sounds like just the ticket,so if you haven't decided to keep it chris,i'll take it off you.

Marco,can you provide a link on where to buy a Paul Hynes solid-silver DC lead as i might as well do that while im at it.The bodged job you sent me leaves alot to be desired ;)

Marco
21-07-2011, 19:48
Marco,can you provide a link on where to buy a Paul Hynes solid-silver DC lead as i might as well do that while im at it.The bodged job you sent me leaves alot to be desired ;)

Erm, well, ahem... :o

Just PM Paul, dude, and he'll give you the details. That's your best bet :)

Marco.

kininigin
22-07-2011, 07:08
Erm, well, ahem... :o

Just PM Paul, dude, and he'll give you the details. That's your best bet :)

Marco.

ok cheers.

looks like i missed out on the mat with my dithering,taken from me like a thief in the night :lolsign:

Enjoy Nick (Scoobs) :)

chris@panteg
22-07-2011, 07:29
Yes Nick got in 1st , so provisionally sold.

Marco
22-07-2011, 07:50
Did you try it first though on your Vantage platter? :)

Marco.

chris@panteg
22-07-2011, 08:16
Did you try it first though on your Vantage platter? :)

Marco.

Hi Marco

Yes , in fact as I'm writing this ! The platter is winning so far , more clarity and open in the mid , bonding might change things though ! But no way am i going to ruin that delicate top coat !

chris@panteg
26-07-2011, 17:43
Sold to Nick , (Scoobs)