PDA

View Full Version : Darn kids and their mp3 players...

kml
20-07-2011, 04:32
Threads titled like that drive me crazy.... :lol:

Not all portable players sound bad. I'm a 48 year old "kid" who enjoys his 320vbr and flac files on his "Ipod"

I have a pair of Sony MDR V6 which I power with a CMoy amp built in an Altoids tin.

I gave up on Apple's Ipod and Itunes and now use a 32 gig Cowon s9. It supports MP1/2/3 WMA FLAC APE OGG and WAV (video too!). I like the drag and drop as opposed to Itunes sync ands it's ability to play lossless files.

http://www.cowonglobal.com/product_wide/COWONS9/product_page_1.php

As a test I rippped a vinyl album using Vinylstudio to make a 500mb WAV file, the cowon handled it no problem at a play back of over 14000kbs. Take that Ipod. :moon:

I like the MDRs v6 for their reasonable cost and flat frequency response.

http://inlinethumb59.webshots.com/48762/2153294640102950911S500x500Q85.jpg

cheers
ken

WAD62
20-07-2011, 14:40
Threads titled like that drive me crazy.... :lol:

Not all portable players sound bad. I'm a 48 year old "kid" who enjoys his 320vbr and flac files on his "Ipod"

I have a pair of Sony MDR V6 which I power with a CMoy amp built in an Altoids tin.

I gave up on Apple's Ipod and Itunes and now use a 32 gig Cowon s9. It supports MP1/2/3 WMA FLAC APE OGG and WAV (video too!). I like the drag and drop as opposed to Itunes sync ands it's ability to play lossless files.

http://www.cowonglobal.com/product_wide/COWONS9/product_page_1.php

As a test I rippped a vinyl album using Vinylstudio to make a 500mb WAV file, the cowon handled it no problem at a play back of over 14000kbs. Take that Ipod. :moon:

I like the MDRs v6 for their reasonable cost and flat frequency response.

http://inlinethumb59.webshots.com/48762/2153294640102950911S500x500Q85.jpg

cheers
ken

...better still get a decent Android phone and play FLAC files from that :)

Welder
20-07-2011, 15:08
I agree, it makes my blood boil as well :rolleyes:
There is so much nonsense written in audiophile circles.
I’ve been using one of these a lot recently
http://www.nuforce.com/hp/products/iconudac/
listening through my headphones.

I think the sound quality is fantastic and given the cost of this unit is a fraction, and a small fraction at that, of my main stereo I cant help wondering if I haven’t rather lost the plot with regard to Hi Fi and the amount of money I and it seems others, have spent for what is imo a relatively small increase in sound quality.

Yomanze
20-07-2011, 21:58

Sorry but that won't get close to a good dedicated mp3/media player.

Shame that Apple stopped using higher end Wolfson DACs though...

Yomanze
20-07-2011, 22:03
For proper portable audio there is: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/461156/s-flo2-impressions-thread

Also

1st Gen iPod Shuffle (shocker!)
up to & including 5th Gen iPod
Most higher end Sony players
Archos (most innovative in the media player arena IMO)

AmpCity
20-07-2011, 23:05
For proper portable audio there is: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/461156/s-flo2-impressions-thread

Also

1st Gen iPod Shuffle (shocker!)
up to & including 5th Gen iPod
Most higher end Sony players
Archos (most innovative in the media player arena IMO)

I've used had the S:flo2 for some time - sounds great but the UI interface drives me nuts. Battery life isn't so great either. I've gone back to a 5.5G iPod Classic with line-out to the Headstage Arrow portable amp. Still small enough to be considered portable, would not want to be lugging something like this around:http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm225/ianmedium/algorythmandporto015.jpg

I'm the Archos A70 uses the WM8988 and is supposed to sound pretty good, here's hoping they come up with a similar android mp3 player based around the same chip :)

Zain

Batty
21-07-2011, 02:14
Just downloaded a FLAC player for my Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc, now to load her up and see how she sounds.

The Pink Panther
21-07-2011, 07:21
I have been Over the moon with my iPads headphone out, plugged into some Superlux headphones using Spotify Premium it actually sounds very good indeed, I have even shoved a couple of lossless albums on for kicks.

Rare Bird
21-07-2011, 07:29
I use a Sana Clip for FLAC files to & from work, on train etc etc.. sounds better than my whole home stereo.

worthingpagan
21-07-2011, 07:41
I use a Sana Clip for FLAC files to & from work, on train etc etc.. sounds better than my whole home stereo.

I don't know much about this techno, how do you get the flac files on to the player Andre? Is there software that has to be purchased as extras? Info i've seen is it only plays MP3, WMA, WMA (DRM)

WAD62
21-07-2011, 07:46
Sorry but that won't get close to a good dedicated mp3/media player.

Shame that Apple stopped using higher end Wolfson DACs though...

Stop being silly about mp3 as a viable format over FLAC, it's the source that counts

Get something that plays FLAC, and improve from there...:)

slate
21-07-2011, 08:32
I have an old Sansa Fuze + 8 GB card loaded up with FLAC. Lately is has been stripped to the headband on my Superlux 668B and used for gardening.

http://anythingbutipod.com/2008/03/sandisk-sansa-fuze-review/

The original firmware works fine, but recently I Rockboxed it just to try it out. I have not figured out all the knobs in Rockbox yet, but for plain playback it works fine. http://www.rockbox.org/

Rare Bird
21-07-2011, 09:21
I don't know much about this techno, how do you get the flac files on to the player Andre? Is there software that has to be purchased as extras? Info i've seen is it only plays MP3, WMA, WMA (DRM)

The Clip plays FLAC no software needed, can be purchased with upto 8GB internal but you can ad micro SD card for more space . Just make sure you choose the correct player. The fuse will do FLAC aswell but i've not used that, the Fuse however can be bought upto 16GB internal & again a micro card can be used to expand capacity even more

worthingpagan
21-07-2011, 10:15
The Clip plays FLAC no software needed, can be purchased with upto 8GB internal but you can ad micro SD card for more space . Just make sure you choose the correct player. The fuse will do FLAC aswell but i've not used that, the Fuse however can be bought upto 16GB internal & again a micro card can be used to expand capacity even more

Cheers mate..........i might just invest in one of these shortly :cool:

Rare Bird
21-07-2011, 10:50
It has onboard EQ in menu to adjust sound to taste,i recommend that.. The earphones arnt too bad but i use a cheap pair of Sony MDRE818LP for on the go, suprising good SQ..

AmpCity
21-07-2011, 19:41
Stop being silly about mp3 as a viable format over FLAC, it's the source that counts

Hmm, I'm not so sure - the compression techniques and psychoacoustic models used are bloody good and mostly remove stuff outside our ear's frequency response. If it's there and you can't hear it you won't miss it when it's gone.

320kbps VBR using LAME is excellent, only in very complex pieces can a real difference be heard, at least according to an ABX test I set up with several customers. Still use FLAC at home, on the go it's just not possible with storage limitations.

Oh, and the Sanza gear is f*ing incredible - at that price point the sound is unbelievably good.

Zain

Yomanze
21-07-2011, 19:45

I used mp3 player as a generic term, don't know any players that don't do lossless in some shape for form.

I don't even like 320kbps, so don't think lossy is a viable HiFi format. Having said this I get a lot of great use out of Spotify Premium.

Yomanze
21-07-2011, 19:55
320kbps VBR using LAME is excellent, only in very complex pieces can a real difference be heard, at least according to an ABX test I set up with several customers. Still use FLAC at home, on the go it's just not possible with storage limitations.
Zain

Agreed LAME can be really great and ideal for portable needs. However, in my system with 'reference' albums, both my wife and I can spot FLAC vs. LAME 320kbps with 100% confidence in an ABX test. Some of the test stuff e.g. Lamb's "What Sound" includes a lot of non-complex stuff, the general opinion is that there is more 'air' with the FLAC files with subtly better soundstage. Just a tad more polished... admit it's not night and day, but it's enough!

AmpCity
21-07-2011, 20:00
Agreed LAME can be really great and ideal for portable needs. However, in my system with 'reference' albums, both my wife and I can spot FLAC vs. LAME 320kbps with 100% confidence in an ABX test. Some of the test stuff e.g. Lamb's "What Sound" includes a lot of non-complex stuff, the general opinion is that there is more 'air' with the FLAC files with subtly better soundstage. Just a tad more polished... admit it's not night and day, but it's enough!

I would have to agree... I did manage to pass my own ABX test thankfully, but it was bloody close. Most people had a hard time spotting the differences, with some actually preferring the compressed version :stalks:

Spur07
22-07-2011, 07:45

I also use sansa clip with Koss Porta Pro headphones and it sounded better than my home system - bags of PRATT, deep bass and smooth treble. I'm sure in the back of mind it was one of the reasons I decided to sell my Naim system. I enjoy the hard stuff so much more on my clip - it can be sublime, sometimes I think you'd have pay a fortune to get that control and quality on a home system.

If anyone buys a sansa clip don't forget to change the region area to U.S.A instead of England/Europe - that way you can access the volume booster in settings. No need then for a portable amp, although sometimes I still carry one around.

Yomanze
22-07-2011, 08:31
I also use sansa clip with Koss Porta Pro headphones and it sounded better than my home system - bags of PRATT, deep bass and smooth treble. I'm sure in the back of mind it was one of the reasons I decided to sell my Naim system. I enjoy the hard stuff so much more on my clip - it can be sublime, sometimes I think you'd have pay a fortune to get that control and quality on a home system.

If anyone buys a sansa clip don't forget to change the region area to U.S.A instead of England/Europe - that way you can access the volume booster in settings. No need then for a portable amp, although sometimes I still carry one around.

I think I'll be getting one of these then! Am a huge fan of Koss Porta Pros. In fact a mate with his "phat" Skullcandy 'phones was saddened when he heard the deep, lush bass coming out from my flimsy little Porta Pros. ;)

WAD62
22-07-2011, 11:25
I think I'll be getting one of these then! Am a huge fan of Koss Porta Pros. In fact a mate with his "phat" Skullcandy 'phones was saddened when he heard the deep, lush bass coming out from my flimsy little Porta Pros. ;)

I'll second that Neil, at £18 they are fantastic...:)

And you don't have to walk around like a wannabee footballer when you're not using them...;)

WAD62
22-07-2011, 11:30

Absolutely agree, now that I've found a decent FLAC player for Android (powerAmp) I can't go back to mp3, and that's 320vbr mp3.

And I can load directly from my FLAC library, drag and drop, without any need to convert, or even over the air via the SqueezeCommander app...very nice!

As for storage I can fit around 90 FLAC albums onto my 32Gb card, which is reasonable for a portable library...:)

kml
22-07-2011, 16:08
I agree, it makes my blood boil as well :rolleyes:
There is so much nonsense written in audiophile circles.
I’ve been using one of these a lot recently
http://www.nuforce.com/hp/products/iconudac/
listening through my headphones.

I think the sound quality is fantastic and given the cost of this unit is a fraction, and a small fraction at that, of my main stereo I cant help wondering if I haven’t rather lost the plot with regard to Hi Fi and the amount of money I and it seems others, have spent for what is imo a relatively small increase in sound quality.

:lol::lol::lol:

No kidding, eh?

I think I'll take the dog for a walk and listen to some music and I'll just enjoy it and not worry (too much) about the files format.

cheers
ken

kml
22-07-2011, 16:12

I plug my player in to the system in the kitchen at work, as a chef it's nice to put it on shuffle and have ten hours of continuous tunes with out having to tie up my phone.

Otherwises that's a good idea.

:cool:

cheers
ken

kml
22-07-2011, 16:15
Absolutely agree, now that I've found a decent FLAC player for Android (powerAmp) I can't go back to mp3, and that's 320vbr mp3.

And I can load directly from my FLAC library, drag and drop, without any need to convert, or even over the air via the SqueezeCommander app...very nice!

As for storage I can fit around 90 FLAC albums onto my 32Gb card, which is reasonable for a portable library...:)

That was my main beef with Itunes and Ipod, plus I never did find a way to sync albums quickly.

cheers
ken