PDA

View Full Version : Squeeze-Upgrade.com power supplies in stock

Mark Grant
19-07-2011, 16:27
Squeeze-Upgrade.com power supplies are now in stock in the UK.

http://markgrantcables.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=76_77

The SBooster and " Best of two Worlds" Power supply are in stock for:
Squeezebox Touch
Squeezebox Duet
Arcam rDac

Power supplies for more devices will be added soon. :)

30 day returns policy and two year UK warranty.

CE approved.

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx234/server9/forum-pictures/Best-5v-lightened.jpg

-

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx234/server9/forum-pictures/SBooster-6-lightened.jpg
-

Covenant
19-07-2011, 17:34
Mark, I was really surpised to see you stocking these products. No doubt you are aware of the discussions on the Squeezebox forum and the strong advice to avoid snake oil products. Obviously you have done your own investigation and decided they do make an improvement. Could you describe whats in the S-Booster-is it a choke?

icehockeyboy
19-07-2011, 17:47
It was indeed one of these that I almost bought a short time ago, have you heard an improvement when using one with an SBT Mark?

electric beach
20-07-2011, 10:24
I bought one from Mark immediately I saw that he had taken up UK distribution (just the S Booster). It definately makes an audible difference to the presentation but I'm undecided whether I prefer the effect yet. Also tried it on my Mini-T amp, where it seemed to have exactly the same effect and I think in my system I prefer this application. Sound is more relaxed and more weighty, which helps the little T-amp, but with less air and sparkle.

I tried a few of Soundcheck's recommendations at the weekend and I found them to be positive with no drawbacks; all the software settings and volume set to 100%. Made a much bigger improvement than I expected. Highly recommended.

I have been using an independently powered HD directly into the touch and obviously was interested to compare with running the FLAC conversion on a laptop. Undoubtedly more transparent, 3 dimensional and airy, but also came with a digital hardening and reduced bass. On balance I think I prefer the HD direct.

Need to work on the combinations a bit before settling on either Sbooster or HD connection.

Covenant
20-07-2011, 19:28
I have a decent linear supply powering my Touch but may get the SBooster to see if it enhances the sound quality. I agree about the Soundcheck mods. I send him a tenner as I was so pleased with the improvement.:)

Mark Grant
26-07-2011, 19:54
Mark, I was really surpised to see you stocking these products. No doubt you are aware of the discussions on the Squeezebox forum and the strong advice to avoid snake oil products. Obviously you have done your own investigation and decided they do make an improvement. Could you describe whats in the S-Booster-is it a choke?

I guess that the negative comments on some forums are from people that have never tried or have other reasons ;)

A picture taken a few minutes ago of the inside of an Sbooster ( its a very small device in real life)

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx234/server9/forum-pictures/sbooster-arcam-IMG_0139.jpg

None have been returned yet, comments from people that have tried are that there is a difference.

Covenant
26-07-2011, 20:45
The number of components seems to justify the price. Looks like some kind of choke on the right.
I will order one as soon as I get back from my hols!

icehockeyboy
27-07-2011, 10:09
The wife keeps an eagle eye on any money I spend on hifi, but I might just get the cheaper priced unit under the radar, so does that one offer an audible level of improvement?
:)

Mark Grant
27-07-2011, 20:38
A salesman would say yes it will :)

I would say you need to try and make your own opinion, no returns yet and I have a very easy 30 days returns policy.

electric beach
27-07-2011, 20:48
Mine won't be going back :)

Fi-Wi
27-07-2011, 20:53
I guess the 30 day return policy is the best sales pitch for this product.

For what its worth, I am a very happpy camper with the BotW psu.

I find your comment (especially the "other reasons" part) on the comments on this product striking:

I guess that the negative comments on some forums are from people that have never tried or have other reasons

Btw Mark, I preferred yor former avatar but that's my personal opinion again.

electric beach
28-07-2011, 17:37
Btw Mark, I preferred yor former avatar but that's my personal opinion again.

+1 :(

icehockeyboy
29-07-2011, 16:29
Mine won't be going back :)

So, do you have the under £30 one, or the over £100 one ?

electric beach
30-07-2011, 09:45
Just the £30 Sbooster Craig.

I have very revealing speakers but in my system the idea that this device may make an audible difference was absurd - it made a dramatic change. Whether you prefer the effect is another matter and could depend on your system and preferred presentation.

It certainly cleans up your soundstage and tightens everything up. It's easier to hear into the mix, bass is stronger, more driven and punchy but the higher frequencies get curtailed a bit and the soundstage seems smaller, more concentrated.

It's a different version of very good!

icehockeyboy
30-07-2011, 10:51
Just the £30 Sbooster Craig.

I have very revealing speakers but in my system the idea that this device may make an audible difference was absurd - it made a dramatic change. Whether you prefer the effect is another matter and could depend on your system and preferred presentation.

It certainly cleans up your soundstage and tightens everything up. It's easier to hear into the mix, bass is stronger, more driven and punchy but the higher frequencies get curtailed a bit and the soundstage seems smaller, more concentrated.

It's a different version of very good!

Thanks for that S&V (glad your other half isn't called anything beginning with M! :lol:)

As it is, my Theta dac does all the things you mention the SBooster does, except it doesn't mess around with the top end, which to me is important.........:scratch:

PS, just re read your post, you mention soundstage twice, one in a good light, the other not so good, can you clarify how it does two different things to it?

Covenant
27-08-2011, 16:18
Just ordered the S-Booster for my Touch. Looking forward to seeing what it does.

Themis
27-08-2011, 18:03
Just ordered the S-Booster for my Touch. Looking forward to seeing what it does.

I got the 130€ sBooster the other day. I had very few expectations, to be honest. Well, I was wrong.
I think this is an important upgrade, a no-brainer. :)

I have the same opinion as John on this: http://www.digitalaudionews.net.au/2011/06/06/sbooster-best-worlds-psu-squeezebox-review/

Covenant
27-08-2011, 18:07
I have a good home made linear supply Dimitri,so I am not expecting too much improvement.

Fi-Wi
27-08-2011, 19:12
That's probably the best attitude. The surprise will be bigger that way. :)

I am very pleased with the BotW (a.k.a. the "130 euro SBooster") compared to the standard psu that came with my Slimdevices Squeezebox and can't wait for the 15V version Squeeze-upgrade have announced'. I'll buy it to feed my Caiman.

Richardl
29-08-2011, 18:09
I might try one of these, I've just changed from a Linn Majik DS to a modified Nuforce dac9.
There wasn't too much difference when I tried the Nuforce dac against the Linn DS.....but that was using the Linn DS as the transport.

At the moment I'm using a slim devices Classic as the front end.....and it's not as good as using the Linn DS.......the only thing that it can be is a poor power supply on the slim devices, I suppose.

I've got a squeezebox touch on order though.

Ali Tait
29-08-2011, 19:23
The Touch should sound better by all accounts.

Themis
29-08-2011, 19:30
The Classic is ok, but the Touch is a clear level up, compared. With a BoTW sBooster it becomes a very clean source, no doubt. :)

Ali Tait
29-08-2011, 20:13
Yes, I have a regulated supply I liberated from work. It's clearly superior to the supplied wallwart.

WAD62
30-08-2011, 10:01
I use a maplins VN10L as my PSU for my SB receivers, which is a big improvement over the supplied SMPS.

Has anyone tried an SBooster in conjunction with a linear PSU, is it worth the investment? :)

Covenant
31-08-2011, 16:03
Has anyone tried an SBooster in conjunction with a linear PSU, is it worth the investment? :)[/QUOTE]

I have received the SBooster today, give me a few days and I will let you know if it makes any difference when combined with my linear supply.

Gazjam
31-08-2011, 16:07
looking forward to this one Jerry.

WAD62
01-09-2011, 08:28
looking forward to this one Jerry.

Likewise Gaz, come on Jerry get listening...;)

Covenant
01-09-2011, 18:35
Ok ok ok......
I love cheap upgrades so I really wanted this to work. Connected it up and left it running for 24 hours or so, put on my reference album-Peter Gabriel's "Scratch My Back" plus a few others I know well. I then played a few individual tracks with the S Booster in and out of circuit.
I am sorry to report that in my system I could not discern any difference. The important words are in bold because I suspect the story may well be different for others.
My linear power supply is a good one and is based on a John Swenson design. Its possible that a different design may benefit from this little box so don't hesitate to give it a whirl..
Sorry to report negatively on something that a good few people were excited about.

Themis
01-09-2011, 20:25
Were you testing the analog outs of the SBT ?

icehockeyboy
01-09-2011, 20:31
I use a maplins VN10L as my PSU for my SB receivers, which is a big improvement over the supplied SMPS.

In what way? Could you describe please? :)

Covenant
01-09-2011, 20:38
Were you testing the analog outs of the SBT ?

No Dimitri, digital out to a Beresford dac.

Themis
01-09-2011, 20:47
I read somewhere that the changes were much much smaller for the digital out. I didn't do a serious test myself, though, as my amp was @ Glenn's.

Themis
01-09-2011, 22:23
My linear power supply is a good one and is based on a John Swenson design. Its possible that a different design may benefit from this little box so don't hesitate to give it a whirl..
Sorry to report negatively on something that a good few people were excited about.
If your supply is a good one, well designed and built, your report is not negative, IMHO.
It could have been negative if the sbooster was worse than your actual... ;)

WAD62
02-09-2011, 08:06
In what way? Could you describe please? :)

Errr...a smoother top end, more detail, better soundstage, that type of thing from the digital out, and all of that plus extra body from the analogue out ;)

I have SB's in various configurations.

P.S. From their web site it looks like the VN10L model I have is being replaced by a SMPS version, so grab a linear version from a store while you can...N.B this is only relevant for an SB receiver as the VN10L won't do the 5V required for a touch or SB3 :)

WAD62
02-09-2011, 08:44

Cheers for the effort Jerry, I doubt my maplins supply is up there with yours so I wonder if this is worth a shot. :)

I have a stupid question, is this Sbooster generic for all SB devices? Is it voltage dependant? :scratch:

I currently have 3 SB configurations (well apart from the Boom, but the less said about that the better :doh: );

Receiver(9V)/Maplins linear VN10L/digital out
Receiver(9V)/Maplins linear VN10L/analogue out
SB3(5V)/Maplins SMPS L11BQ/analogue out

I'm assuming that they share the same DC connector size and polarity...so could I try the same Sbooster out with all 3? ;)

electric beach
02-09-2011, 08:46
I am sorry to report that in my system I could not discern any difference. The important words are in bold because I suspect the story may well be different for others.

Jerry, is it possible you could compare with a standard Touch smps supply instead of your linear one, if you still have it? Then you would be able to judge how much the Sbooster contributes and what level of further improvement is to be had by adding a better power supply.

Personally I find it makes a dramatic difference with the stock supply, but I still wonder about ditching the smps.

electric beach
02-09-2011, 09:01
Cheers for the effort Jerry, I doubt my maplins supply is up there with yours so I wonder if this is worth a shot. :)

I have a stupid question, is this Sbooster generic for all SB devices? Is it voltage dependant? :scratch:

I currently have 3 SB configurations (well apart from the Boom, but the less said about that the better :doh: );

Receiver(9V)/Maplins linear VN10L/digital out
Receiver(9V)/Maplins linear VN10L/analogue out
SB3(5V)/Maplins SMPS L11BQ/analogue out

I'm assuming that they share the same DC connector size and polarity...so could I try the same Sbooster out with all 3? ;)

Hi Will

I tried the Sbooster with my Mini-T amp and the effect was identical. 12v I think.

WAD62
02-09-2011, 09:13
Hi Will

I tried the Sbooster with my Mini-T amp and the effect was identical. 12v I think.

So it looks like it's 'generic' voltage wise then...:scratch:

We need Mark Grant here, as there are two separate options of the Sbooster available on his web site, one for the Touch & SB3 (5V), and one for the duet/receiver (9V)...so are they voltage dependant :scratch::scratch:

icehockeyboy
02-09-2011, 09:41
Errr...a smoother top end, more detail, better soundstage, that type of thing from the digital out, and all of that plus extra body from the analogue out ;)

I have SB's in various configurations.

P.S. From their web site it looks like the VN10L model I have is being replaced by a SMPS version, so grab a linear version from a store while you can...N.B this is only relevant for an SB receiver as the VN10L won't do the 5V required for a touch or SB3 :)

Ta for that last bit of info, as I have a Touch I won't be going to Maplin anytime soon then! :)

WAD62
02-09-2011, 09:44
Ta for that last bit of info, as I have a Touch I won't be going to Maplin anytime soon then! :)

By all accounts the supplied SMPS on the touch is better than the old receiver/SB3 ones, so I doubt the improvement would be as marked...only guessing :)

WAD62
02-09-2011, 11:34

We need Mark Grant here, as there are two separate options of the Sbooster available on his web site, one for the Touch & SB3 (5V), and one for the duet/receiver (9V)...so are they voltage dependant :scratch::scratch:

Just been talking to Mark, looks like there's no difference between the Sbooster for the duet and the one for the SB3/touch (the only potential difference being the DC adaptor size, but they appear to be the same)...I've ordered one so will be able to try it with all 3 of my configs...I'll report back after it's arrived :cool:

Mark Grant
03-09-2011, 10:09

I checked to confirm and the duet has a small 1.05mm DC jack, the touch has a larger 2.5mm DC jack.
The difference is the connector sizes on the different part number Sboosters, they will work with different voltages.

The current ratings for various voltages are printed on the Sbooster so you could try it with most devices that the connector fits and is within the current rating for that voltage.

The Power supply inputs are various voltages to fit specific devices.

Mark Grant
03-09-2011, 10:16
...I've ordered one so will be able to try it with all 3 of my configs...I'll report back after it's arrived :cool:

I sent both types so you can try with Duet 1.05mm DC socket and SB3 2.5mm DC socket, send one or both back when finished testing or buy both if you like them :)

It would help if there was industry agreed standard size for each voltage of AC or DC input.....every manufacturer just chooses a DC jack size at random.... :scratch:

Themis
03-09-2011, 10:20
I wonder whether this would work with Stan's Caiman... :scratch:

(sh*t, I didn't know that Mark was selling these... :doh: I ordered a few months ago from their site :steam:)

Mark Grant
03-09-2011, 10:46
Not yet Dimitri as the Caiman has a 1.3mm jack and there is not an Sbooster with 1.3mm DC jack yet.
(Another product uses 1.3mm jack for AC and could cause confusion if the wrong devices AC/DC are plugged together)

It is something that is being looked at though :)

There is a linear power supply for Caiman with Sbooster fitted on the output lead here if anyone would like to try one:
http://markgrantcables.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76_77&products_id=345

Mark Grant
03-09-2011, 10:49
(sh*t, I didn't know that Mark was selling these... :doh: I ordered a few months ago from their site :steam:)

I can only supply the UK, as you are in France you would have needed to buy in Fance or if no dealers locally order from the manufacturers website.

Themis
03-09-2011, 10:50
There is a linear power supply for Caiman with Sbooster fitted on the output lead here if anyone would like to try one:
http://markgrantcables.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76_77&products_id=345
Exactly what I need ! :stalks:
Thanks Mark, I'll order one shorty ! :cool:

Themis
03-09-2011, 10:51
I can only supply the UK, as you are in France you would have needed to buy in Fance or if no dealers locally order from the manufacturers website.
Ah.... :(
No dealers locally, indeed...

Covenant
03-09-2011, 14:42

When your ready Dimitri, I will order it for you and post it on.:)

WAD62
05-09-2011, 12:17
I sent both types so you can try with Duet 1.05mm DC socket and SB3 2.5mm DC socket, send one or both back when finished testing or buy both if you like them :)

It would help if there was industry agreed standard size for each voltage of AC or DC input.....every manufacturer just chooses a DC jack size at random.... :scratch:

Hi Mark, they've arrived, well spotted about the jack size, I'll let them bed in for a day or so and report back...:cool:

Covenant
05-09-2011, 13:38

That's a bit cheeky of Dimitri to call Mark shorty isn't it?:lol:

WAD62
05-09-2011, 20:33
OK results just in...well for 2 out of 3 so far ;)

As Mark stated he's sent me 2 sboosters, one for a receiver and one for an SB3 (which I presume is the same as the touch one);

So far I've tried the sbooster in the following configs, using 'Perth' by Bon Iver...if you know it, you know how much is going on in the mid range etc. It's a challenging track for any system...IMHO

1.) FLAC/SBreceiver with Maplins linear PSU, Digital Out - Definitely a subtle but noticeable improvement, smoother and better detail, less 'zingy' perhaps, and for some reason slightly tighter bottom end :scratch: It took me about 4 or 5 A/B comparisons (tough to do with a power supply I know) to convince myself, so it's definitely not night and day etc. probably similar to the effect of a better digital cable etc.

2.) FLAC/SB3 with Maplins 60W SMPS, Analogue out - A marked improvement, obvious after 1 A/B comparison, like using a better DAC.

So despite my initial suspicion about the Sbooster I'm converted, I'd imagine as others have stated the improvement is completely dependent on the quality (or lack of it) of the PSU being used. And perhaps if you're using the digital out it's even more subtle...

Test 3 tomorrow, that's the analogue out from an SB receiver with a maplins linear PSU...I'm off to listen to more stuff on 1) :)

:cool:

Themis
06-09-2011, 07:06
That's a bit cheeky of Dimitri to call Mark shorty isn't it?:lol:
:lolsign:

I can say that shortly I'll be short of letters. Sort of. ;)

Bonky
06-09-2011, 08:54
If one bought a mains conditioning unit such as the lauded Belkin PF30, would this negate the necessity to buy one of these units?

If the answer is 'no', one still would feel the benefit of the s-booster, what does this say about the efficacy of the mains conditioning units?

...Somewhat confused, ...., as usual...

BW
Richard

WAD62
06-09-2011, 09:34
If one bought a mains conditioning unit such as the lauded Belkin PF30, would this negate the necessity to buy one of these units?

If the answer is 'no', one still would feel the benefit of the s-booster, what does this say about the efficacy of the mains conditioning units?

...Somewhat confused, ...., as usual...

BW
Richard

You're not the only one that's confused Richard, I'd like to know what the Sbooster is actually doing...in simplistic terms ;)

Bonky
06-09-2011, 10:45
Me too, however, we will always be met by people saying "try it, and if it makes an improvement, who cares?"

They do have a point, but as I was saying in a previous thread, it's always nice to have it backed up by something other than quackery.

Is there anyone who uses a s- booster and a mains conditioner? Does one negate the other?

If one buys, e.g. The Belkin Pf30, does the "need" for the linear PSs disappear?

Let's hope we get some answers from the cognoscenti.

Cheers,

Richard

WAD62
06-09-2011, 10:48
Me too, however, we will always be met by people saying "try it, and if it makes an improvement, who cares?"

They do have a point, but as I was saying in a previous thread, it's always nice to have it backed up by something other than quackery.

Is there anyone who uses a s- booster and a mains conditioner? Does one negate the other?

If one buys, e.g. The Belkin Pf30, does the "need" for the linear PSs disappear?

Let's hope we get some answers from the cognoscenti.

Cheers,

Richard

FYI All my stuff runs through Tacima mains conditioners, and all my testing has been with them in place...perhaps not up to the Belkin's level however.

I think it's making up for inadequacies in the PSU somehow...but what do I know ;)

Themis
06-09-2011, 11:23
I don't think that "mains conditioning/filtering" and "type of mains supply" treat the same problems... :o

But I'm no specialist, I leave your question to those who know. ;)

Richardl
01-10-2011, 04:37
I bought one of the S-boosters and a Maplins PSU, I tried them both out at the same time, I thought it made quite a difference to the sound......bigger sound, better bass, a touch more detail
I haven't done the A/B testing thing, it's not a big financial outlay, so I can't be bothered, sorry.

icehockeyboy
02-10-2011, 12:09
I bought one of the S-boosters and a Maplins PSU, I tried them both out at the same time, I thought it made quite a difference to the sound......bigger sound, better bass, a touch more detail
I haven't done the A/B testing thing, it's not a big financial outlay, so I can't be bothered, sorry.

So you really don't know which one has given you an improvement by stuffing 'em both in at the same time.........For all of us souls who are curious as to what the S Booster does, can I ask if you do buy two bits of kit, that you try one first and report on your findings? Ta ever so! :)

icehockeyboy
02-10-2011, 12:12

Did I read previously that someone said it stood on the top end (paraphrased!) In which case seems to be at a contrast to getting more detail? :scratch:

Then again, that extra detail may be down to the Maplin thing........

Richardl
02-10-2011, 12:59
So you really don't know which one has given you an improvement by stuffing 'em both in at the same time.........For all of us souls who are curious as to what the S Booster does, can I ask if you do buy two bits of kit, that you try one first and report on your findings? Ta ever so! :)

I took me about half an hour, just to change the power supply, it's a real pain in the ass changing stuff around in my system.
Also I don't want to try A/B testing, I think it's money well spent now, if do testing I may find one of the 2 items doesn't make any difference, I'll be dissapointed.
If you want to know what the S-booster does, buy one......if you're not happy with it, return to Mark for a full refund, what have you got to lose?

Gazjam
07-10-2011, 01:41
edit

WAD62
07-10-2011, 12:34

FYI The maplins PSU is an improvement over the supplied SB SMPS one, and the Sbooster is an additional improvement over that...is that enough to go on? ;)