PDA

View Full Version : tundg sol 6SL7 sounds bright

indie roehre
19-07-2011, 04:59
nice day from Germany.

I have a new phono stage with two 6SL7 TUNG SOL from new production. the phono stage sounds too bright, lack of mids. Rory Gallagher, Peter Green, and Free need more power in their voices. What to do? What tubes do you recommend for tube rollin?

Best wishes

Knut

Marco
19-07-2011, 06:10
Hi Knut,

I know exactly what you mean about the 'Tung Sol' 6SL7s, which these days are made in Russia, and have nothing whatsoever to do with the highly regarded NOS American brand, and indeed they do have a somewhat 'toppy' and forward sound.

The only modern production 'Tung Sols' which don't exhibit those traits are the new KT120s, which are superb.

As my Croft preamp also uses 6SL7 tubes in its phono stage, I have done lots of tube rolling with 6SL7s (probably tried almost every type!), and so have a very good handle on their various sonic signatures.

The tubes I would recommend for your phono stage are NOS Ken-Rad VT-229s (6SL7 equivalent), as shown here:

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/4682/s6sl7rca2kleintad.jpg (http://img145.imageshack.us/i/s6sl7rca2kleintad.jpg/)

These have a lovely wide-open 'creamy' sounding midrange, sparkly highs, but never 'in yer face', and a solid bass, which underpins music by adding weight and body to it. I think that you would really like these. They are highly regarded NOS tubes, and amongst the best 6SL7s ever made.

I bought a spare matched pair of these as NOS (ironically from a supplier in Germany), when I was doing some tube rolling a few months back, which have only been used for testing, so if you like, I'd be willing to sell you these at a good price.

PM me if you're interested :)

Marco.

indie roehre
19-07-2011, 08:21
Marco you have PM

Marco
19-07-2011, 08:40
You have a reply :)

Marco.

selfaddict
06-08-2011, 12:44
Hi Marco.

Did you sell the Ken-Rad VT-229's? I just bought an power amp which uses 6SL7 valves.

Juha

Marco
06-08-2011, 17:39
Hi Juha,

Yes, Knut is now the happy owner of the VT-229s, and I believe, getting fantastic results with them :)

However, I still have a pair of NOS (tested only) 1950s Brimar CV1985s, which are gorgeous sounding tubes, and ditto, a pair of 1950s 5691s (6SL7 equivalents), again which are fab.

Both have similar characteristics to the VT-229s, although give slightly more detail at the top-end, but are not bright or forward sounding in the slightest.

If you're interested in either pair (or both, if you fancy doing some tube-rolling), pop me a PM, and I'll do you a very good deal! :cool:

Marco.

selfaddict
06-08-2011, 18:10
I thought they might have gone. Thanks for the offer, I have sent you a PM.

Marco
06-08-2011, 18:55
No worries, dude - and I have replied :)

Marco.