PDA

View Full Version : WTD: Celestion monitor speakers - or simular

The Black Adder
18-07-2011, 13:14
Hello.

I'm looking to buy some Celestion speakers. I'm after that BBC Monitor style presentation so the following are of interest.

CELESTION 15XR, UL8, UL10, DL10.

I'm after something that is sensitive, serviceable to a degree and in decent nick.

Or maybe something else... if you have anything up to a £200 budget please let me know via PM.

Cheers
Joe

Wakefield Turntables
18-07-2011, 16:37
Joe,

Dont bother with the Ditton 15XR's. Whilst they are nice they are also extremely limited and can sound very woolly. They do respond quite well to tweaking and need to placed on a decent set of stands, i found atacama worked well. Finally, hope you have a wide room as they need plenty of space to breath. My advice would be to go for something else. Are they to go with your curreny Quad II monoblocks??:scratch:

The Black Adder
18-07-2011, 23:19
Cheers Andrew...

Hope the Raddy is doing it's bit :)

Yeah, they will be driven by my (Croft modded) Quad II's.

Cheers
Joe

Wakefield Turntables
19-07-2011, 19:13
Joe,

The raddy sounds great, I finally took delivery of some ESL 57's that one thing audio had tarted up :eyebrows: I'm afraid I need a bigger house for a bigger listening room :lol: I tried 15XR's with with old Quad 77 setup and whilst the system brought up a nice warm glow inside and memories of how 1970's speakers sounded it also highlighted that better speakers exist for probably less money. Celestions are fetching silly money at this moment. Anyway good luck with your search.

DSJR
19-07-2011, 21:32
EPOS ES14's sounded bloody amazing with my Crofted II's and I used Naim A5 as speaker cable and a Croft Super MicroA I think at the time..

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/DSJR_photos/TheQuads.jpg

Wakefield Turntables
20-07-2011, 15:31
EPOS ES14's sounded bloody amazing with my Crofted II's and I used Naim A5 as speaker cable and a Croft Super MicroA I think at the time..

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/DSJR_photos/TheQuads.jpg

DROOL!! :clapclapclap:

nat8808
22-07-2011, 23:57
P.S.

I have both a pair of UL6s and some fairly minty 15XRs both not being used. Prob £60 / £120 respectively? What do you reckon? Kind of a guess of value going from memory of Ebay.