Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

southall-1998
21-03-2015, 20:24
Very nice looking amp, Jerry.

How much does it weigh?

S.

jandl100
21-03-2015, 22:55
Yes, a proper looking power amp, Shane. :eyebrows: - 13.6 Kg according to the Knob - it's weighty but not massive. Easy to lug around.

struth
22-03-2015, 00:02
A nice looking amp that Jerry. Must be good to elbow out all the others, esp the Crown that you liked so much. They get good reps. On of these days your gonna find the mother amp and that'll be it

jandl100
22-03-2015, 07:56
The mother amp - like the mother load!

Hmm :hmm: not sure about that, Grant.

But I guess I have the mother speakers (for me, anyway) so you might be right - but I doubt I'd be willing to spend the dosh to achieve that end.
One Big Mutha MBL amp ..... oooooo :drool: .... not that I've ever heard one in my own system. :)

If I could combine the astonishing midrange focus of the Tellurium Q Claymore (but without its tizzy topend), with the power and authority of the Parasound A21 (but with more rez and less smoothness), and the awesome bass definition and control of the Krell 250a .... then maybe .... I would still swap it out after a while :lol:

jandl100
22-03-2015, 08:35
This following post from Marco on another thread seems relevant to my ongoing system saga, so I transfer it here for convenience ...

Btw, have you ever tried an amp (or amps) at a similar price point to your MBLs, i.e. giving them some 'quality watts', more in keeping with their calibre, thus reducing your system's 'mullet status'? ;)

For me, with the amps you've been using, unless I've missed something suitably high-end you've had, you're unlikely to have heard what those MBLs are truly capable of.......... It's not ALL about the speakers, you know!! :eyebrows:

Marco.

Ah, mullet system - dear ol' Mark (YNWAN) :eyebrows: - we're buddies now, btw. :thumbsup:
It would be really good if Mark could come visit at Jerry Towers so he could hear for himself the rather fine sound that is achieved. :) But alas he is embedded in the Northern Wilderness.

Yes, of course amps are important, Marco - that's why I keep changing the buggers! :lol:

I think the most expensive amp I have powered the MBLs with is a £6k Chapter power with my £3 or £4k Restek pre-amp. Call it £10k of amp powering £20k of speakers - so not that huge a disparity in 'quality'.
But I do take your point that there is more for the MBLs to give - as my previous post alluded, if I could combine the best attributes of the amps I have used then .... :hmm:

But in practice, the high ticket MBLs were a one-off purchase, and I am unlikely to repeat it for an amp.
I've always been a speaker-first kind of audiodweeb, so I'm just putting my money where my mouth is.

OK - I could spend the Big Moolah if I really wanted, but I had a real internal tussle with myself before buying the MBLs - I knew that my speaker boxswapping would be forever over, and the prospect did not please me.
I have just too much fun with the boxswapping, and closing down amps as well as speakers from the fun of the chase would be a step too far for me, and I can't afford to boxswap at MBL prices. I'm quite happy finding out what 'lesser' amps can do. :)

jandl100
22-03-2015, 08:57
Further amp thoughts ....

The £6k Chapter Audio power amp was not out on its own, I've owned quite a few multi-£k amps, as well as many 'lesser' amps in terms of rrp.

My conclusions are a tad unconventional - up to that price level I find little correspondence between sound quality and cost. I'd much rather live with a £100 Amptastic Mini-1 than the £6k Chapter, for example.
Whether or not that observation would extend up to the £20k price level of the MBL speakers I don't know.

User211
22-03-2015, 09:19
For retail price the most expensive amps Jerry has had on his system was my 211s. He seemed to prefer the T'ampon he had at the time:eyebrows:

I didn't.:D:mental:

However the image got so huge with the omnis with the 211s it was rather alarming. I think the best amps with Jerry's speakers I have heard are the Graaf 50/50 and Krell KAV250A. Neither could be described as cheap at new retail.

jandl100
22-03-2015, 09:26
Ooo - yeah, the Graaf 5050 - nice!

... T'ampon :lol:

User211
22-03-2015, 09:33
I actually don't think the connection between price and amps is good in terms of system matching. You can buy some very technically competent amps for very little money. Many expensive amps can be technically terrible and sound rubbish with the wrong gear, or very good with the right gear.

All that really matters is they match your ears and system well.

User211
22-03-2015, 09:38
Marco - take the copper amp round to Jerry's and I'll meet you there. In other words, make him an offer he can't refuse:D

Marco
22-03-2015, 10:35
Lol - we could do that, but weighing 40kg, it's not something I enjoy carting around too much.... If the MBLs aren't a problematic load for a valve amp, which I suspect they're not, then I think that Jerry would very much enjoy what the Copper amp does, as Tannoys aside, we tend to like a similar sound :)

Jerry, I hear ya, about the amps, and totally get where you're coming from. However, my point was simply that £20k loudspeakers deserve to be driven by a similar calibre of amplification (and I don't just mean 'expensive for expensive's sake'), but where they mullah has been spent in the right places. You know me when it comes to SPPV! ;)

For me, during your amp box-swapping journey, you should be playing more with ones in the £6k range (such as the Chapter), which meet the above criteria, than at the lower end of the scale, which you seem to have done more, that's all. Therefore, why not revisit the £6k amplifier arena, and see what you can come up with there that reflects your usual (carefully considered) lateral thinking and desire to get the biggest bang for your buck - and remind your MBLs what it's like to have some top-notch watts up them! :cool:

Marco.

jandl100
22-03-2015, 11:14
Well, in the multi-£k arena, I've paired the MBLs with the Graaf 5050, Krell 250a, the Chapter Couplet 250S, Krell 400xi, Viva 300p, Parasound A21, Audiozone Amp2, Justin's 211 monstas ... and probably more. :)

I hear what you say, Marco - but to be perfectly honest, I don't think I would gain much if anything sonically with any of those (and would often lose quite a lot) compared to the Restek pre / Harman Kardon Citation 12 power combo that is currently wired up.

To echo what Justin said, I remain convinced that you can do just as well with a synergistic lower price amp than you can with most far more expensive items. But I'm always ready to try a new competitor. :)

I could do the amplifier boxswapping thing at the £5k-£10k level, but then the profit/loss margins with the trades become significant for me, and I don't really want to do that - the fun factor would vanish if I lost a £k or so on a swap. :(

But yes, the right £10k or £20k amp would I am sure be bloody marvellous with the MBLs. :drool:

It would not be an exaggeration, though, to say that I remain ecstatic with what my system currently does, give or take an amp swap or two. :) I wouldn't swap it for anything else I have ever heard.

User211
22-03-2015, 11:24
Lol - we could do that, but weighing 40kg, it's not something I enjoy carting around too much....

Sometimes you've just gotta haul ass. I got two 211 monos round there each weighing around 45-46KG in their respective coffins...

I think the copper amp would do well TBH. I really do. However you don't know til you try.

jandl100
22-03-2015, 11:44
Some more Jerry Ramblings ... :)

I think it is all about amp / speaker synergy.

I was really disappointed with how the class D Crown amp performed with Justin's old Apogees. It sounded good, but was clearly much more in its element with my MBLs. I was hoping / expecting a "Parasound Moment", like when my A21 amp really got a grip on Justin' speakers. That was awesome, but it just didn't happen with the Crown even though it has more power than the Para (maybe not more current, though ;)).

And Justin's 211 monoblocks really didn't shine with the MBLs, they were OK, but nothing very special - while they do a rather decent job to say the least with both pairs of Apogees he has had.

Synergy rules! You just gotta find the right combos - I don't think price comes into it very strongly at all.

User211
22-03-2015, 17:21
However, synergy with the right really expensive amp could be killer. You just have to try some big MBL monos some day.

Lie to a dealer and tell him you want a home demo.

Did I just suggest that? What kind of a person am I? Don't answer that...;)

jandl100
22-03-2015, 17:31
I said that before! ;)

But yes, the right £10k or £20k amp would I am sure be bloody marvellous with the MBLs. :drool:

But not about lying to a dealer .... although if it came to it and I was totally blown away, I would probably stump up the Big Moolah. :doh:
-- nope, I don't want to go there :nono: I'm quite happy playing around in the little boy's amplifier sandpit. :)

struth
22-03-2015, 17:39
I said that before! ;)

But not about lying to a dealer .... although if it came to it and I was totally blown away, I would probably stump up the Big Moolah. :doh:
-- nope, I don't want to go there :nono: I'm quite happy playing around in the little boy's amplifier sandpit. :)

Quite right Jerry. I am happy enough with my Atoll power amp; does all it should

The Black Adder
22-03-2015, 18:05
>Error...
>Rewind Tape!
>Sonics and price points don't always correlate....
>Error!

:D

>Ready!
>_

User211
22-03-2015, 18:55
I said that before! ;)

I know I was just rubbing it in - hard.:ner:

It is a bit of a "Danger Will Robinson" road to go down as you so rightly say.

Marco
22-03-2015, 19:22
However, synergy with the right really expensive amp could be killer. You just have to try some big MBL monos some day.

That's what I was getting at before, but Jerry's answered the point :)

We're different, in that I like a 'balanced system', in terms of the spending being equally distributed amongst each component, with the emphasis placed a little more on the quality of the source components, particularly my turntable, which has cost me nearly twice as much as my speakers - but then truly top-notch vinyl replay doesn't come cheap!

Marco.

jandl100
22-03-2015, 21:39
We're different, in that I like .... spending .... more on the quality of the source components, particularly my turntable, which has cost me nearly twice as much as my speakers

... that's the Flat Earth approach !! :nono: :doh::mental::stupid::brickwall::spew::brainfart:: deceased::bravia::help::banned:

:argument:

:lol:

Marco
22-03-2015, 21:41
Lol - nope... It's the Marco tried and tested (to suit his ears) and what sounds best (to him) approach! ;)

As ever, each to his or her own, but I'll never be a 'speakers first' kind of guy, as I fundamentally believe that's the wrong way to go about things.

Marco.

jandl100
22-03-2015, 21:46
Quite right Jerry. I am happy enough with my Atoll power amp; does all it should

Damn right, Grant - I've had an Atoll AM80 - very fine amp.
I fondly recall a visiting dealer getting deeply distressed at how good it sounded driving my speakers! :whistle: :eyebrows:

MBL monoblocks ?--- pah, who needs 'em!

struth
22-03-2015, 21:54
Damn right, Grant - I've had an Atoll AM80 - very fine amp.
I fondly recall a visiting dealer getting deeply distressed at how good it sounded driving my speakers! :whistle: :eyebrows:

MBL monoblocks ?--- pah, who needs 'em!

Think mine WAS yours once..........:eyebrows: In conjunction with my Nak pre and the Kefs it is making beautiful music

jandl100
22-03-2015, 21:56
:doh: really?

I thought I sold it to someone on the Wigwam ... Nick myrman maybe? :scratch: - or did you get it from them, Grant?

struth
22-03-2015, 22:32
:doh: really?

I thought I sold it to someone on the Wigwam ... Nick myrman maybe? :scratch: - or did you get it from them, Grant?

Yeah Jerry, I got it off the guy you sold it to on the wam probably? I remember you chipped in with a comment(at least I think it was you as the last owner). They still occasionally sell new on the bay at around 500 quid.

Marco
23-03-2015, 10:16
Until now, I'd never heard of Atoll....

Marco.

jandl100
23-03-2015, 10:18
French - I did a review on t'Piggy for an amp/cdp pair, iirc.

ah yep - http://hifipig.com/atoll-electronique-in200-se-integrated-amplifier-cd200-se-2-cd-player/

struth
23-03-2015, 10:37
nice amps.
Love the Bikini Atoll styled name

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/23/aa87a366e3900367905a2169571a024d.jpg

jandl100
26-03-2015, 12:55
LP system update ---

Have gone back to my trusty Orty MC25FL after a few weeks with the VdHed Asak.

What a fine cart the 25FL is. :) I hear again why I liked the beastie so much.

But it isn't very happy with the Lentek stepup - defo a bit bright. That didn't happen with the Asak cart. An impedance matching thing, I guess.

But the 25FL sounds good with the MC input on my phonostage - it has lost a bit of clarity and getup&go, though. Ah well. It's still good. :)

Marco
29-03-2015, 05:17
Yes, I wouldn't have recommended the Orty with the Lentek. As you know, it's all about synergy! ;)

Nice to have a choice, though... :)

Marco.

jandl100
30-03-2015, 12:00
Latest addition to my vintage collection, with many many thanks to Rick E :)

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/DSCF6239_zpsfgxrtszq.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/jandl100/media/DSCF6239_zpsfgxrtszq.jpg.html)

Simply perfect visual design, imo. :drool: Love it :)

And all together now ....

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/DSCF6238_zpsw4i5yjd7.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/jandl100/media/DSCF6238_zpsw4i5yjd7.jpg.html)

The JVC powers up, but I haven't tried it yet.

User211
30-03-2015, 12:16
Kind of turning into a "last stand before the graveyard" region chez Jerry Towers then:)

Nostalgia trip supremo?

DSJR
30-03-2015, 12:45
We used to like that JVC receiver era - made a nice change from the increasingly hard and foggy Yamaha and gritty Technics equivalents I remember.

jandl100
30-03-2015, 12:48
Kind of turning into a "last stand before the graveyard" region chez Jerry Towers then:)

Nostalgia trip supremo?

Ah, they don't make 'em like they used to, ya know :wheniwasaboy:

I just love the looks of some of the older gear. :)

User211
30-03-2015, 12:53
Ah, they don't make 'em like they used to, ya know :wheniwasaboy:

I just love the looks of some of the older gear. :)

Me too. Particularly old Technics and Sansui tuners.

Distinct lack of buttons and switches on newer gear. Whatever happened!???:lol:

Firebottle
30-03-2015, 14:46
Distinct lack of buttons and switches on newer gear. Whatever happened!???:lol:

They invented the microprocessor :eyebrows:

Now this has knobs and buttons galore. Sadly it's not a broadcast receiver, but not a microprocessor in sight :ner:

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt97/Paramotorpilot/P1040796.jpg

:cool: Alan

jandl100
03-04-2015, 08:13
Latest addition to my vintage collection, with many many thanks to Rick E :)

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/DSCF6239_zpsfgxrtszq.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/jandl100/media/DSCF6239_zpsfgxrtszq.jpg.html)

...... The JVC powers up, but I haven't tried it yet.

She LIVES !! :dance:

Well, on headphones at least.
On this cold and wet Easter Friday morning I finally got around to wiring her up to my cdp --- needed a bit of to&fro-ing on the sliders to get rid of some intermittency and crackle but now sounding mighty fine on the tumultuousness of Rachmaninov's 2nd symphony. :violin:

Coo - it's magnificent! Really taut and dynamic. :eek:

brian2957
03-04-2015, 09:08
Jeez , where do you dig em up from Jerry . I'm still using the Amptastic Mini-1 , a distant recommendation of yours :lol:
Hopefully I'll be doubling them up soon ( one per speaker ) and giving them a 'kick up the bum ' with one of Stans Capellas plus a couple those excellent Chinese PSUs .I really enjoy reading about the older gear you try in your system . Love the photies too . If only I had more room ( and a more sympathetic missus ) :rolleyes:
Keep up the good work mate .

jandl100
03-04-2015, 09:19
Thanks, Brian.
Yes, I'm really enjoying myself with the vintage gear. It's something I've wanted to do for years but never quite got around to. I'm truly amazed at how good some of them sound - the last 40 years hasn't seen much progress, imho!

I'll try the JVC receiver powering my speakers sometime soon, but it'll have a battle on its hands to equal my (also vintage!) Harman Kardon Citation 12 power amp. :)

Nowt wrong with those Mini-1 amps, though. I could happily live with one. :thumbsup: Be interesting to hear your findings on doubling them up - I tried it with one of the TA2020 chip amps but didn't hear much, if any, advantage.

brian2957
03-04-2015, 09:42
I'm not sure if doubling the Mini-1s up will make ant difference either but for the sake of £100 it's gotta be worth a try . Stans Capella , on the other hand , used as a preamp brings some very useful gains in SQ for not much money IMO .

jandl100
03-04-2015, 09:46
Yep, I preferred both Amptastic amps (-T and -1) with a pre in front - it rather increased the total value of the amplification, though. I think my Restek pre retailed at £4k! :lol:

jandl100
10-04-2015, 06:24
I saw this little valve pre in the Wam classifieds and thought "Yum, I'll have that".

I've been thinking about getting a valve pre to complement my solid state Restek for quite a while, and Paul (Mr Whippy) writes a good line in sales patter. :eyebrows:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/DSCF6256_zpsdbfjcvha.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/jandl100/media/DSCF6256_zpsdbfjcvha.jpg.html)

A Bottlehead "Quickie" battery powered valve pre-amp, DIY kit built.

Inputs and outputs on the top panel, with the volume control a bit lost in the middle! .... very convenient :nono: !
And it's not exactly the tidiest setup I've ever seen. :scratch:

Ah, I see that I have failed to keep my blog up to date - I've been using for the past week or so a passive stepped attenuator pre from Hifi Hangar - their PSA02 - and very nicely transparent it is, too. That's it in the foreground.

Postie arrived when I was part way through listening to a piece of music so I unpacked the wee beastie, paused the music, inserted the Quickie (that does sound rude) and pressed play.
Whoops - it was like changing the MBLs into a horn design! - immediacy and dynamic contrast, the sound kind of exploded but in a good way!

I'm seriously impressed by this pre, it puts the startle factor back into the music.

On the downside, their is a slight loss in ultimate rez compared to the passive (and my active ss Restek pre), and very deep bass is just a tad lightweight. But hey, nothing is perfect and the Quickie seems to complement my Citation 12 power amp very nicely.
Hopefully a deal is in the offing to obtain a valve power amp, that will be interesting.

hornucopia
10-04-2015, 09:29
Looks like you need some nice lightweight (DNM?) leads!
Hadn't noticed your current Citation 12! A classic (just like my Hafler DH200....)

Was over your way on Tuesday too (Ross)-should have called!
Chris

jandl100
10-04-2015, 18:32
Ah, shame Chris - you could have popped in. :)

User211
10-04-2015, 18:39
According to my zoom one of the valves is barely in the socket...

jandl100
12-04-2015, 11:05
:)

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/DSCF6262_zpssvikjw8t.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/jandl100/media/DSCF6262_zpssvikjw8t.jpg.html)

Marco
12-04-2015, 11:32
Oooh.... You've grown a Beard!! :D

Marco.

hifilover
12-04-2015, 12:21
That's not an amp it's a bloody radiator ;)

I'd love to fettle with a valve amp or 2... Maybe later in the year but that looks amazing!

howlindawg
13-04-2015, 08:34
Hmmm....
I know these sound great but do they make good toast?

jandl100
13-04-2015, 08:42
Not sure about toast, but I reckon it'd keep your coffee warm. ;)

jandl100
28-04-2015, 06:57
New speakers! :yay:

-- sorry the room's a bit of a mess :o -- tidiness fetishists look away now. :lol:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/DSCF6301_zpsqytvsbht.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/jandl100/media/DSCF6301_zpsqytvsbht.jpg.html)

No, the MBLs are going nowhere, this is in a 2nd system elsewhere ;)

Magneplanar 1.6QR ribbons.
Five and a half feet tall, 20 inches wide, 2 inches deep.

Really, really pleased with the sound.

High rez. The Maggies are very widely spaced indeed so as to not interrupt the view, but it works just fine. Amazing wall of sound, but with quite precise imaging.

They do have something of a rep for being a challenge to drive, but my 70wpc Sony FB-940R drives them with no problems.
I do need to sort out some new speaker cables - my old ones have to stretch across the carpet to reach the R speaker. As luck would have it I have an unused 6m length of Cable Talk 3 - that will do nicely. :)

I'll want to get some thin material to cover them with - the grey really doesn't go in that room. Something "oatmeal" maybe.

No real deep bass, but down into the upper and mid bass they do just fine. Previous owner had a sub with them, but I think they'll do OK for me on their own.

Yum.

User211
28-04-2015, 08:47
I'm not surprised after your reaction to some 1.7s at Silverstone a while back.;)

Might be worth getting some stands made if you think they may be keepers for a while, as that is the usual Maggie complaint. Otherwise enjoy. Wouldn't mind hearing them TBH. Was that mid or North Wales?

jandl100
28-04-2015, 09:58
Ah yes, those 1.7s - bowled me over, I now recall - I'd actually forgotten about that! The 1.6QR are very similar.

You'd be most welcome to visit me in my Welsh bolt hole, Justin - but the 1.6QR don't do Justin-scale bass. :nono: I think you need 3-series Maggies to get close to that.

southall-1998
28-04-2015, 16:14
Looking good, Jerry.

Are your Cable Talk 3 the modern green ones?

S.

jandl100
28-04-2015, 16:56
Yep, Shane, I much prefer them to the older Talk 3.1. Smoother, but better resolved.

jandl100
11-05-2015, 06:53
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/DSCF6328_zpsc9e1nj11.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/jandl100/media/DSCF6328_zpsc9e1nj11.jpg.html)

Ah, they don't make 'em like they used to.
This one has been 'fully fettled' and encased in its own mini-rack.

A bit of a powerhouse - more than 150wpc and can drive my MBL speakers to insane levels without any signs of distress.
A tad smooth at the top end, with just the last level of fine rez in the mids and top MIA.
Bass is very clean, taut and impactful.
Overall, I prefer the power amp section of my vintage Rotel 1412 monsta - that allows through the aforementioned fine rez missed by most amps of my acquaintance, but doesn't quite have the bass control of the Crown DC300A. Ah well - I'm only really a bass freak when visitors come a-visiting, and the Rotel is fine in the bass for my classical music preference. It's only 'OTT electronic bass' that gets a bit whoomy.

I foresee a happy future for the Crown amp driving my Maggie 1.6QR panels in my 2nd system. I'm expecting it to fit in rather well there. :cheers:

Firebottle
12-05-2015, 12:17
Crown DC300A, cor that's a name/model from the past :eek:

Stop making me feel old Jerry :D

jandl100
12-05-2015, 16:37
I'm reliving my long lost youth by buying lots of vintage hifi.
It's great fun and surprisingly good! :thumbsup:

Sound quality improvement in the last 40 years of electronics development = Zero! :lol:

User211
12-05-2015, 18:10
I reckon it needs a couple of hits with a mallet and a few hacksaw cuts to give it more cred/beast appeal.;)

jandl100
17-05-2015, 07:30
New toy !! :yay:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/DSCF6360_zps3m37uel7.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/jandl100/media/DSCF6360_zps3m37uel7.jpg.html)

A room correction / DAC / pre-amp thingamejig.
- one of these http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/dspeaker_antimode2_e.html

It's a DAC and pre-amp, but its main purpose is room correction in the bass.

It's a goodun. I think it has supplanted my MDAC as DAC and pre-amp de jour. It doesn't have the MDACs slight grain in the mids and slight top end emphasis, but seems just as resolved. Dynamics might be slightly curtailed compared to the very forthright Audiolab. But overall it seems more 'musical' to me.

(I think I'll try the MDAC with the Crown ballbuster DC300A amp and Maggies in my 2nd system, the Crown being a tad laidback it may work well).

Whoa - the room correction thing works well. There was a 50Hz peak that the box'o'tricks vanquishes. Bass is a bit better controlled but the main improvement, strangely, is a significant improvement in the imaging. Yum. :)

howlindawg
17-05-2015, 08:22
Fancied trying one of these back when I had the Luxman SQ38u but never got around to it.

Now that the big Lux is gone I don't think there's any way I could integrate it with the Devialet so will wait patiently until Devialet release their own active room correction.

Macca
17-05-2015, 08:34
Was it easy to set up, Jerry?

jandl100
17-05-2015, 08:50
Was it easy to set up, Jerry?

Yup, absolutely easy-peasy.

Instructions are good and there is very little to do anyway.

User211
17-05-2015, 15:11
Ha. You have succumbed to measurebation at last. Next up will be streaming services. You will succumb. Resistance is futile. Just a question of time.:)

jandl100
17-05-2015, 17:07
Well, point me to a streamer that is as easy to set up and use as the Dual Core thingy and I might just give it a go. ;)

User211
17-05-2015, 17:28
What's wrong with a Wi-Fi enabled laptop and a USB lead? Then use TIDAL's web interface via Chrome. U just navigate to www.tidal.com/gb (http://tidal.com/gb) and use it. What could be simpler? Free trial u could do it now.

There's no hi-fi SQ available if you don't use Chrome.

Bandwidth might be an issue there though Jerry. How many Mbps does your ISP manage to get to you?

TheMooN
17-05-2015, 18:41
Most interesting.
For my part, I just could not get on with the Dual Core Anti Mode in my system/room, I bought the unit purely for room correction and In that regard the unit was most effective in smoothing out a couple of base nodes that were present in my room, However, and unexpectedly, I found the unit to impart an unwanted audio effect upon the audio band *above *the frequency cut off point that I had set, in that I felt the unit 'sat' on the essence and verve of the music, as though the life had been sucked out of fundimentals and harmonics in the mid-band!
I did not utilize the DAC facility during my time with the unit, and am therefore unable to offer any informed considerations in that regard.

jandl100
17-05-2015, 19:35
Interesting comment, Roger. I read one review that said the same about dynamic constriction from the Dual Mode - I can't say I notice anything untoward as yet. Other reviews seem to regard it as a mostly transparent device. I have to say I am impressed with the whole package so far.

jandl100
17-05-2015, 19:37
What's wrong with a Wi-Fi enabled laptop and a USB lead? Then use TIDAL's web interface via Chrome. U just navigate to www.tidal.com/gb (http://tidal.com/gb) and use it. What could be simpler? Free trial u could do it now.

There's no hi-fi SQ available if you don't use Chrome.

Bandwidth might be an issue there though Jerry. How many Mbps does your ISP manage to get to you?

I've just now hooked up the PC to the Dual Mode DAC via its USB port and am listening to my Amazon Music purchases. Probably low sample rate, but still sounds good.
Next step Tidal? :eek:

struth
17-05-2015, 19:43
I've just now hooked up the PC to the Dual Mode DAC via its USB port and am listening to my Amazon Music purchases. Probably low sample rate, but still sounds good.
Next step Tidal? :eek:

think amazon is 320 kb so quite good. I have a lot of stuff there and any time I have a listen it is fairly presentable tbh

jandl100
17-05-2015, 19:45
Just looked at the Tidal free trial - and the boogers want payment info. :rolleyes:

User211
17-05-2015, 20:50
Just looked at the Tidal free trial - and the boogers want payment info. :rolleyes:

That's so they can charge you when you forget to cancel it. They are all at it. Amazon, Netflix etc list is endless.

The Amazon downloads are only 256Kbps MP3 IIRC - TIDAL is lossless FLAC. Go on give them your details. Be brave;)

Audio Advent
18-05-2015, 01:26
Don't forget also that Youtube videos have the possibility of 384kbps AAC at 720p resolutions and above.

Listening to music on there can be pretty good - just have to find the ones that are uploaded at the higher rates and plenty of full albums on Youtube.

jandl100
18-05-2015, 05:57

I've just run a test - 6.44Mbps - is that adequate?

User211
18-05-2015, 08:29
I've just run a test - 6.44Mbps - is that adequate?
Most definitely I think. Faster is always better but that should be alright it is almost three times quicker than the link I had when you were using but here. I now have 38Mbps as BT has finally installed FTC close by.

jandl100
18-05-2015, 08:31
Hmmm - tempted then. I've received 3 emails now from Tidal prompting me to finish the sign-up process - I baulked at the credit card bit. :)

User211
18-05-2015, 12:31
Well they haven't robbed me yet... tis pretty safe Jerry but a bit of a PITA having to enter the details. Just cancel it if you no likey.

mikeyb
18-05-2015, 21:01
Hi,

It's dead easy to cancel Tidal, can be done at any time after sign up and you can do it during the free trial and it will not take payment when the trial period is up 😉

Mike.

Parkie37
19-05-2015, 00:17
Hmmm - tempted then. I've received 3 emails now from Tidal prompting me to finish the sign-up process - I baulked at the credit card bit. :)

I look forward to hearing your impression of the sound quality. I'm only playing vinyl at the moment, but have considered Tidal due to its resolution.

jandl100
19-05-2015, 07:06
Re:Tidal.
Hmm, I think I will need to upgrade my Broadband contract - currently limited to 10Gb a month, I think.
Will look into that.

What sort of data traffic do you generate with it, Justin? (or anyone!)

jandl100
19-05-2015, 08:59
Hmmm :hmm: a friend has suggested that Qobuz is better for classical music streaming .... any thoughts?

User211
19-05-2015, 09:13
I used Qobuz for some months. Compared to TIDAL for me no contest. Try both Jerry I can't advise on classical.

FLAC only manages 50-60% compression of a CD so about 350MB or 0.35GB per long album - you need unlimited broadband.

Spotify is amazing for content but not SQ.

Qobuz s/w is dire IMHO.

jandl100
19-05-2015, 09:23
Yep, unlimited, I'd come to the same conclusion.

At 3 albums per Gb I need to sort out my data limits before I start playing or it will cost me a lot in out of bundle charges!

Just now looking at Qobuz - maybe it's cos I'm a newb, but it doesn't look an easy way to browse and find stuff. Tbh, the whole layout looks bloody irritating! Way too glitzy - yuk. It's like the worst of TV advertising - just plain inyerface and loud.

I don't think I can get at Tidal without becoming a member?

User211
19-05-2015, 09:31
When you sign up for a trial you give them credit card details so I guess you become a member but you just cancel if you don't like.

jandl100
19-05-2015, 09:36
Yep yep - comprendo.

But I need to get my unlimited broadband sorted first. :)

I won't be able to resist playing with the stuff!

User211
19-05-2015, 10:00
Welcome to 2015 LOL.

jandl100
19-05-2015, 10:12

Well, at the very least I'll give it a go.

Right - BT broadband increased to unlimited as from tomorrow. Whoop-di-do. :)

jandl100
19-05-2015, 10:25
So ... congratulations, Justin ... you finally managed to nag me into streaming music. :D It's taken a while, mind. :eyebrows:

I'm confused, though .... what's the point of all these streamer boxes that people buy - Sonos / Lampi / whatever. What extra do they give you over using a laptop into your DAC of choice? :scratch:

User211
19-05-2015, 10:48
There's all sorts of things they do Jerry. But a laptop and a USB cable is an easy starter I have stayed with, though I had a Squeezebox for a while many moons ago.

Sonos has a really nice R/C handset that integrates well with Spotify - my sister has that set up multi-room with ceiling speakers.

You'll just have to look them all up but TBH I find most solutions compromised compared to a laptop and Wi-Fi network.

You'll be ripping all your CDs via JRiver next. Try downloading that today in the absence of unlimited and rip a CD or two in lossless FLAC. Then compare the SQ to TIDAL and Qobuz for the same CD.

Beware though JRiver uses different maths to TIDAL and Qobuz and you can mess with JRiver's processing but you have to understand what it is doing to get the most out of it. If you are clever, you can use it to decide what is bullshit in digital audio and what isn't.

jandl100
19-05-2015, 11:01
You'll be ripping all your CDs via JRiver next. Try downloading that today in the absence of unlimited and rip a CD or two in lossless FLAC. Then compare the SQ to TIDAL and Qobuz for the same CD.

Nah - I'm not interested in all that shenanigans.

If I like what Tidal does then fine. I am sure I can get the vast majority of my CD collection's music from it.
If I don't like the sq or the interface then I stay with CDs until someone offers a streaming product I do like.

I've always said that I'll wait for CD-quality live streaming from the cloud before I go computerised with my music, and that's what Tidal seems to offer.

User211
19-05-2015, 11:05
Well just rip a few CDs using JRiver. Once you see how easy things become you'll love it. It is easy to do.

jandl100
19-05-2015, 11:09
I've got 3000 CDs. Nope, I'm just not interested if I can't get them from live streaming from the cloud.

User211
19-05-2015, 11:19
Er um I see your point. Well JRiver will rip and play at the same time. That's how I built my database up I still haven't ripped everything by any means.

Anyway, one step at a time:D

jandl100
19-05-2015, 11:25
How Gillian puts up with you I will never know! :lol:

Macca
19-05-2015, 11:28
Jerry moving to streaming is like the ravens leaving the Tower...

jandl100
19-05-2015, 11:29

Let's just say I'm going to give it a serious try now that live-streaming from a seriously large music database in the cloud at CD quality is claimed to be obtainable.
The alternative is to be forever-nagged by Justin. :eek:

Macca
19-05-2015, 12:01
The alternative is to be forever-nagged by Justin. :eek:

That's enough to convince even the most die-hard luddite.... ;)

The main thing that puts me off is that a computer is involved and experience tells me that it will never work first time out of the gate and that means embarking on some time-consuming and soul-destroying 'fiddling' with the settings in an attempt to get it to do what a CD player already does just by switching it on and inserting a disc.

Audio Advent
19-05-2015, 12:05

You can always "lose" your credit card and get another with a new number at any time... Sometimes accidents like that have positive outcomes especially if, like me, you're terrible at remembering to cancel things on time!

Audio Advent
19-05-2015, 12:19
To throw a kitten amongst the ravens (kind of the scale of my point - not sure which will get eaten by whom), if you're looking for new music and you discover some you like on Tidal then what happens if Tidal changes hands, changes contracts with labels and those albums are then taken off and made exclusive content for "BRILL STREAM!" a then new service? Move to another one, get two subscriptions? What if Tidal gets bought out, asset stripped and business model changed etc etc etc?

How long do websites last for and how long do you want to be able to access a piece of music, 2 years, 5, 10, 20? A particular performance by such and such is removed because the label only wants to promote a new performance which you don't like so much or the label is taken over and all the old works sold to a second company who doesn't have a contract with Tidal?

In my mind, physical (or a download not limited to a particular device/account AND with a solid back-up encompasing new tech as it comes out so is not rendered practically unusable in 10 years time..) is the only way to go if you want to listen to music freely, whenever you want and for the rest of your life.

I guess you can just use streaming for discovering stuff and then go out and buy the album (but if that's the case, then where's the harm in free youtube or illegal downloads if you're going to buy it anyway?).

User211
19-05-2015, 14:14
All correct Sam. If something you liked disappears then buy it I reckon. Otherwise - live life on the edge:D

I use TIDAL purely because I used to use Spotify and found I was doing so much surfing for stuff I was constantly listening to sub-par quality on an ace system. No logic there.

jandl100
19-05-2015, 16:53
Yup yup - many here will know that I have been a diehard resister of streaming for ergonomic and sq reasons! But Tidal seems to be bringing it altogether, and along with cheap unlimited broadband, well, I was running out of excuses. :lol:

I'll let you know on this blog, Martin, how easy or otherwise getting it all going is.

So far I have streamed from Amazon Music, and that was easy peasy - it just kinda happened! Plugged the USB cable from PC to DAC in, pressed the play icon on the Amazon music album I had already clicked on and music issued forth! :eek: Whodathunk it would be that easy? :scratch: Hopefully Tidal will repeat that experience. We'll see.

I take the point about future access - and the wife has insisted that I keep the CD collection so that if it all goes pear shaped with the streaming I can go back to the old ways. Wise lady, my wife. :)

agk
19-05-2015, 18:05

It'll be a cold day in hell when I start that gubbins.

struth
19-05-2015, 23:32

I'm all Pi'ed up :eek:

jandl100
20-05-2015, 07:44
Well, that was embarrassingly easy.

Signed up to Tidal.
Plugged my laptop into my DAC.
Played music.
Sorted. :eek:

Not at all, as yet, convinced by the Tidal music search function - but I dare say I'll suss it out.

brian2957
20-05-2015, 07:48
What are your initial impressions of SQ Jerry ?

jandl100
20-05-2015, 08:18
Very positive 1st impressions - but you have to live with things for a bit, don't you. I'm off out for the day soon, but will play again this eve.

Tidal's search function is crap, though!

And no Blues for Klook :( wtf use is that?
Tidal will def be a supplementary music source, even at 1st glance it can't replicate my full CD collection. But I guess it's growing all the time ...?

brian2957
20-05-2015, 08:42
Interesting . Thanks Jerry .

User211
20-05-2015, 11:37
Very positive 1st impressions - but you have to live with things for a bit, don't you. I'm off out for the day soon, but will play again this eve.

Tidal's search function is crap, though!

And no Blues for Klook :( wtf use is that?
Tidal will def be a supplementary music source, even at 1st glance it can't replicate my full CD collection. But I guess it's growing all the time ...?

Why is the search function crap? If you are using Internet Explorer - it is. It just doesn't work properly, and you don't get hi-fi SQ.

You are using Google's Chrome browser aren't you? That works just fine. The search is 53 quadzillion miles better than Qobuz's search last time I used it.

Also, none of these services are databases of everything, and none of them will get near to covering your CD collection. As I have said, concentrate on what they have, rather than what they haven't. It is about discovery more than anything else. The major ones all have databases in the multiple millions of tracks.

jandl100
20-05-2015, 19:00
Why is the search function crap? ....

First thing I do in Tidal is search "Shostakovich".
About 9 recordings turn up, I was expecting many hundreds. Crap, I thought, why have I signed up to this junk?
Pondering, I couldn't imagine it was actually that poorly populated - so I searched on "Shostakovich quartets" and about 30 recordings turned up!

Similar experiences on other classical things.
Must be very strangely indexed / linked -- you have to come at things quite deviously to find stuff.
But it's OK - I'll persevere. :)
There is some seriously good classical material on there, just have to keep on trying in order to find it!

And yep, using it thru Google Chrome

User211
20-05-2015, 19:38
Click on the Appears On for a simple Shostakovich search and you get loads - isn't the reason the artists are NOT Shostakovich?? Rather who is playing it?

User211
20-05-2015, 19:40
Anyway Qobuz I found more bizarre and various reviews I read concurred. Again messing with search terms let you find more.

Ronksley
20-05-2015, 20:18
Why is the search function crap? ....

First thing I do in Tidal is search "Shostakovich".
About 9 recordings turn up, I was expecting many hundreds. Crap, I thought, why have I signed up to this junk?
Pondering, I couldn't imagine it was actually that poorly populated - so I searched on "Shostakovich quartets" and about 30 recordings turned up!

Similar experiences on other classical things.
Must be very strangely indexed / linked -- you have to come at things quite deviously to find stuff.
But it's OK - I'll persevere. :)
There is some seriously good classical material on there, just have to keep on trying in order to find it!

And yep, using it thru Google Chrome

Never used any of these streaming things but I have found a lot of online databases arent set up right
Dont have the right fields for classical music as they were set up for pop where you have artist, album, track
composer just isnt catered for good luck
Have you tried serching for Rozhdestvensky my favourite Shostakovich conducter

Audio Advent
20-05-2015, 20:39
All correct Sam. If something you liked disappears then buy it I reckon. Otherwise - live life on the edge:D

Haha! On the other hand, yes just live life on the edge and not think so much! Just do it.. If I was better with money and thinking about streaming services, I think that actually would have swayed me.

Audio Advent
20-05-2015, 20:41

He says, posting from Peterborough...

User211
20-05-2015, 20:54
The real reason for TIDAL membership is the Nicki Minaj exclusive videos. Stay away Jerry - she is my girlfriend, not yours.;)

jandl100
21-05-2015, 05:40
Never used any of these streaming things but I have found a lot of online databases arent set up right
Dont have the right fields for classical music as they were set up for pop where you have artist, album, track
composer just isnt catered for good luck
Have you tried serching for Rozhdestvensky my favourite Shostakovich conducter

Yes, I think you are right - just need to persevere with classical searches and try and sneak your way in!

I've had a hankering after Rozhdestvensky's complete Vaughan Williams symphonies (yes, really!) for quite a while but never quite persuaded myself to part with the ££ for the CDs ---- but YES the set is on Tidal. :yay: - haven't listened yet, my Broadband Unlimited has only just now switched on. Later today I'll give it a 'spin'. :)

Lessee - Shostakovich / Rozh --- at first glance there are some 7, 9 10 -- probably more once you dig in. Also a whole series (25-30 or so) of various Rozh called Classical Masters - Bruckner (yum!), Sibelius, Prokofiev, Scriabin .....
All told over 100 albums with Rozh - some aren't even titled properly by composer! - what a mess! - it will be fun investigating them, though.

jandl100
21-05-2015, 06:11
Just been doing some more delving .... Shee-it. There's a classical music treasure trove on Tidal. :eek:

I'll do a proper sound quality assessment over the next few days, comparing CD with the same streamed Tidal file, but it is certainly very listenable.
You'll have to take my Tidal subscription from my cold dead fingers. :lol:

Thank you, Justin, for persevering with nagging me into giving it a try. :thumbsup:

The real reason for TIDAL membership is the Nicki Minaj exclusive videos. Stay away Jerry - she is my girlfriend, not yours.;)

Just had a peek. Yuk. You can have her with my blessing! :D

brian2957
21-05-2015, 07:24
Welcome to the dark side Jerry (:

User211
21-05-2015, 10:59
Just been doing some more delving .... Shee-it. There's a classical music treasure trove on Tidal. :eek:

I'll do a proper sound quality assessment over the next few days, comparing CD with the same streamed Tidal file, but it is certainly very listenable.
You'll have to take my Tidal subscription from my cold dead fingers. :lol:

Thank you, Justin, for persevering with nagging me into giving it a try. :thumbsup:

Just had a peek. Yuk. You can have her with my blessing! :D

The problem with classical is basically the composer isn't the "artist" that played his work. That's why the "Appears On" is so useful e.g. the Shos page only features two albums because he is only credited as being the artist for those two albums. The appears on shows the rest (hopefully, but maybe not). Same problem on Qobuz but TIDAL handle it better IMHO. Qobuz s/w may have changed since I used it but it also used to crash quite a bit and behave weirdly, plus lose all my downloads on the mobile ap and on my PC.

Non-classical searches are better for the reasons outlined above.

Yeah Nicki - she ain't subtle is she?

Have you got a smartphone Jerry? I don't think you have but maybe you have bought one?

Ronksley
21-05-2015, 11:46
Yes, I think you are right - just need to persevere with classical searches and try and sneak your way in!

I've had a hankering after Rozhdestvensky's complete Vaughan Williams symphonies (yes, really!) for quite a while but never quite persuaded myself to part with the ££ for the CDs ---- but YES the set is on Tidal. :yay: - haven't listened yet, my Broadband Unlimited has only just now switched on. Later today I'll give it a 'spin'. :)

Lessee - Shostakovich / Rozh --- at first glance there are some 7, 9 10 -- probably more once you dig in. Also a whole series (25-30 or so) of various Rozh called Classical Masters - Bruckner (yum!), Sibelius, Prokofiev, Scriabin .....
All told over 100 albums with Rozh - some aren't even titled properly by composer! - what a mess! - it will be fun investigating them, though.

The Rozh RVW is good felt I was taking a bit of a risk buying the CD boxset but so glad I did unfortunately the quality is poor just radio broadcasts
Hope you enjoy them
The Shostakovich set on Olympia sound fantastic
I just dont have the kit or bandwith to stream only get about 2.5mb

jandl100
21-05-2015, 12:17
Have you got a smartphone Jerry? I don't think you have but maybe you have bought one?

Yup, I now have a smartphone - I'm proper 21st century now. :)
Why?

jandl100
21-05-2015, 12:20
The Rozh RVW is good felt I was taking a bit of a risk buying the CD boxset but so glad I did unfortunately the quality is poor just radio broadcasts
Hope you enjoy them

Listening to RVW2 now - decent sound, main drawback is it's a little opaque sounding. Sound is 'average' give or take a bit, which is fine in the circumstances!

User211
21-05-2015, 13:08
Yup, I now have a smartphone - I'm proper 21st century now. :)
Why?
Download the TIDAL app. Then you can download albums onto to phone. You don't then need a Wi-Fi connection to play them back.

This might be good to stop you needing unlimited broadband at your other residence. You could just stream the downloaded albums to a Bluetooth 4 receiver into a DAC.

It is also brilliant in the car if your stereo has an aux input. Just by my Griffin Bluetrip in the classifieds for £15 and you will have hands free calls through your car hi-fi and Bluetooth sound playback via TIDAL.

If you can add a 32GB stick to your phone you can hold about 80 lossless albums on it. Cool.

The Android TIDAL app is awesome.

jandl100
21-05-2015, 20:13
Heh - I'm getting the hang of the TIDAL classical searches now ....

If you want the classic Sveshnikov recording of Rachmaninov's Vespers, whatever you do don't type in Rachmaninov or Rachmaninoff :nono: that just confuses it. :doh: Type in Sveshnikov Vespers and up it pops! :thumbsup:

And if you want Abbado's final Bruckner 9th symphony, don't type in Abbado :nono: - type in Bruckner Lucerne :thumbsup:

It's harder and more devious than the Times' crossword. :eyebrows:

User211
21-05-2015, 21:16
Nah - I just typed in Sveshnikov and two Vespers came up straight away under albums. One was called Vespers 37 though. Dunno what that is.

You'll get used to it:)

User211
21-05-2015, 21:24
Your like the man who is at 30,000 feet who complains he doesn't have enough leg space. He forgets that what is happening is totally f^&*%*£" amazing - he is in an armchair 30,000 ft above the ground flying to a destination 1,000s of miles away from home.:mental:

Find said CD in your 3,000 CD collection and play it anywhere near as quickly.;):lol:

Bit moving that Vesper stuff. Gulp.

jandl100
21-05-2015, 21:33
Actually, I could find and load the CD much more quickly than I could find the TIDAL file. :ner:
My CD collection is alphabetical by composer, and structured within the composer grouping as well.

Try typing in the composer, Rachmaninov, and anything else into TIDAL search - I don't think you'll find it then.

But yes, after playing with it for several hours today I am totally gobsmacked by the breadth and depth of the classical music on TIDAL - and by the sound quality as well, excellent imho.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

User211
21-05-2015, 21:47
As I said, for classical, search by performer, NOT composer.

Once you are used to it there's NO WAY finding that CD will be quicker. Anyway, I'm just really glad I've got you into it. You will love it:)

jandl100
21-05-2015, 22:00
As I said, for classical, search by performer, NOT composer.

No, that makes no sense for most classical recordings - type in Berlin Philharmonic and you'll probably get many hundreds of recordings to search through!

Sometimes you just have to try a few things to dig particular recordings out, and have a reasonable knowledge of the recording you are trying to find.
Most recordings are easily found, though, and pop out like squeezing a spot. :eyebrows:

It's not a complaint, just an observation - as you say it would be churlish to criticise such a wonderful compendium of musical treasure. :)

--- I've just come across this recording of the Vespers on TIDAL - just as wonderful as the Sveshnikov and better more modern sound. I'd never even heard of it before. :thumbsup:

http://www1.alibris-static.com/cover/m12935se0td_l.jpg

User211
21-05-2015, 22:20
The GUI is NOT perfect. The fact it is running in a browser doesn't help it. The application has suffered some neglect and is in the process of being updated. And I do basically agree with you for classical it is hard sometimes to find stuff.

If I was reviewing TIDAL, Qobuz or Spotify seriously (any of the applications I've tried) I'd have a field day finding issues/comments. We just gotta live with what is produced, however, as end users. Bummer but hey.:)

jandl100
25-05-2015, 06:11
I just dont have the kit or bandwith to stream only get about 2.5mb

I'm currently running at a very sluggish 1.94Mbs and the hirez Tidal is fine. :thumbsup:

User211
25-05-2015, 08:45
It does work at 2.25 Mbps I used it at that speed for a few months. However, you do get issues at that speed. It is useable but track access can be annoyingly slow sometimes and it can stutter at times quite a bit. The 2.25 Mbps I had was capped - every single Speedtest (http://www.speedtest.net/) I ever did no matter what time of day etc always returned nearly 2.25.

38Mbps is MUCH better. No surprises there. When the TIDAL servers get busy and you can't suck enough data quickly enough low speed connections are a bit of a pain.

I suspect Jerry will find out what I am saying is true soon enough.

User211
25-05-2015, 13:53
Prior to using TIDAL I used to get about 3.75Mbps for years after doing the "bell wire" trick. Then Sky introduced some form of capping that made sure all 2Mbps service users got just slightly above it.

Annoying? You bet.

jandl100
29-05-2015, 09:55
The return of Darth Vader's amp ...

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/DSCF6367_zpsv4uhcbn5.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/jandl100/media/DSCF6367_zpsv4uhcbn5.jpg.html)

... aka Restek Challenger - 130wpc integrated.

I've had one before, but felt that I hadn't given it a proper go before the next bright sparkly thing got my attention.
Saw this for a good BIN price on eBay yesterday, and here it is today, looking like the Evil Empire reincarnated.

Waiting for the wife to get up so I can have a blast with it.

I've another amp arriving today as well, where is that darn courier? :scratch:

User211
05-06-2015, 11:01
Didn't last long with me. Nice looking amp though. Not in same league as the Restek pre you had by some margin I fink.

jandl100
05-06-2015, 11:13
The Challenger is still going well here, mucho enjoying its Germanic no-nonsense approach to music making.

Mind you, there's an interesting swap deal in the offing for my Atoll amp .... :popcorn:

And yes, the Restek Consens pre's new owner was more than a bit bowled over by its performance. :eyebrows:

jandl100
25-06-2015, 05:46
Update in my 2nd system.

New rack, new turntable (Rotel RP-3000 direct drive).

The Maggies have been changed from a grey monolith to a rather more easy on the eye sparkly beige by use of a suitable net curtain! - and the Amcron DC300a power amp is just peeking on the floor from behind the speaker.

Pioneer DV737 for CD playback. MDAC USB input from my laptop for TIDAL streaming.
Sadly, the output stage on the Sony amp (bottom shelf) didn't survive its attempts to drive the Maggies, so is now in use as a phono stage and a headphone amp!

Denon MD player also in evidence next to an Audiolab MDAC - everything goes thru the MDAC for remote volume control.
(I use the MD player in record mode as an ADC - shock horror heresy, actually it works and sounds just fine. No purist, me. ;))

It all looks and sounds rather good. :)

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/Maggies%20amp%20Rotel%20dd%20amp%20stand_zpsuthgxr xo.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/jandl100/media/Maggies%20amp%20Rotel%20dd%20amp%20stand_zpsuthgxr xo.jpg.html)

Firebottle
25-06-2015, 06:33
I use the MD player in record mode as an ADC - shock horror heresy, actually it works and sounds just fine. No purist, me. ;)

Excellent ploy Jerry, it does look rather good, particularly the Maggies :)

jandl100
25-06-2015, 07:03
Yes, it's swings & roundabouts on the ADC ploy - I'm sure I lose a bit of vinyl sq doing it, but I gain by not having to have a separate pre-amp. It all goes thru the MDAC. :)

struth
25-06-2015, 15:26
the net curtain looks great Jerry. looks like a window in Scotland(raining):eyebrows: Been bucketing all afternoon. Have done that trick with a md player myself.

Macca
25-06-2015, 15:31
The carpet's from an old folk's home, though..... ;)

walpurgis
25-06-2015, 16:11

I wasn't going to say anything, but........... :D

struth
25-06-2015, 16:15
cant be....no pish marks :eyebrows: nowt wrong with it anyways. I have seen and in fact have worse:doh:

Macca
25-06-2015, 17:05
My bedroom carpets are pretty bad. Not that bad though. In fairness they were there when I moved in but too tight to chnge them. You can't see too much of them due to all the spare kit, though.

Marco
25-06-2015, 17:17
I thought your 'bedroom carpet' was simply represented by a sea of soiled scants? :D ;)

Mind you, you could have a 'wee accident' on Jerry's carpet, and no bugger would be any the wiser! Quality...

Marco.

kirstysdad
25-06-2015, 17:17
cant be....no pish marks :eyebrows: nowt wrong with it anyways. I have seen and in fact have worse:doh:

You can't always see pish marks but you can always, alwayssmell them...

That carpet is an absolute stoater, BTW, for pish. Professional pish opinion. Might even be a few small Malteser moments in there...:eek:

Marco
25-06-2015, 17:20
Hey, any of yooz ever wear 'pishcatchers'? It's a style of shooz (fur zoomers) :eyebrows:

Marco.

DSJR
25-06-2015, 17:20
Jerry, do please make sure to use a fairly low tracking weight cartridge with the RP3000, as it uses the infamous Matsushita motor and platter which helped let the direct drive 'thing' down with servo hunting back in the day...

kirstysdad
25-06-2015, 17:21
I thought your 'bedroom carpet' was simply represented by a sea of soiled scants? :D ;)

Soiled by whom and with what, and sourced from where?

kirstysdad
25-06-2015, 17:23
Hey, any of yooz ever wear 'pishcatchers'? It's a style of shooz (fur zoomers) :eyebrows:

Marco.

Ah hud a per o' troosers, Noo Romantic did the same wi a wee per boots?:mental:

jandl100
01-07-2015, 08:04
Hey, ye of little taste.
Oi loikes that carpet :ner:

It came with the property and the wife said, right, that'll be the first thing to change.
But she's used to it now.
In fact, it's showing signs of wear and she agrees we'll have to find something similar to replace it with when the time comes. :thumbsup:

The property was built in the 60s and is now in its original 1970's refurb - wood panels, original 70s table, chairs, sideboard and light fittings.
Very trendy - the 70s are "in".
I think it looks cool. :smoking:

Marco
01-07-2015, 08:24
Hey, never diss a woman's 'rug'... :eyebrows:

Marco.

jandl100
07-07-2015, 06:24
Well, after a bit of a saga and some kind helpfulness from a fine and talented AOSer (Alan "Firebottle") the Myst G Ohm amp combo is back chez Jerry and sounding very nice indeed.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/DSCF6405_zpsrkhuhzic.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/jandl100/media/DSCF6405_zpsrkhuhzic.jpg.html)

As you can see there are 'cosmetic issues' - aka it need a chassis paint job! - but the front fascia panels are OK so that doesn't really show when installed in most racks / shelves. I'm sure that will get sorted sometime, though.

Resolution of detail is excellent and as Alan has hinted elsewhere the Myst has seriously good bass control. He says that's cos the amp is direct coupled, and I'll take his word for it. :eyebrows: Alan guesstimated an output of 80wpc or more and there is certainly no loudness limitation in my setup.
Another aspect of the sound that struck me straight away is tonal neutrality, it's only when I hear something like the Myst amp that I realise how coloured other amps can be. The Myst, or so it seems to me, just gets it right.
And Alan's superb Firebottle phonostages showed that the 3D imaging capability of the amp is uber-top-notch. Gosh, that was amazing, definitely a bit of a jaw drop moment,

The connection space at the rear is a bit tight ....

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/DSCF6409_zpsccxd85ag.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/jandl100/media/DSCF6409_zpsccxd85ag.jpg.html)

.... but my preferred Epiphany Acoustics Atratus 3 RCA leads can just squeeze in by the heatsink. Spade connections on my Virtue Audio speaker cables are also kind of fiddly to attach. But we're used to that sort of struggle, right? :)

Overall a very, very nice amp indeed - but it does have a seriously strong competitor for my affections ....

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/DSCF6408_zpsojdk5od8.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/jandl100/media/DSCF6408_zpsojdk5od8.jpg.html)

There is something about that Restek integrated that just hits the spot for me. :eek:
But maybe the Myst G Ohm will hit the G spot. :D

struth
07-07-2015, 09:24
looking good

Macca
07-07-2015, 11:28
Spade connections on my Virtue Audio speaker cables are also kind of fiddly to attach. But we're used to that sort of struggle, right? :)

Mein kAMPf....?

jandl100
07-07-2015, 11:46

errr, no - I didn't mean that sort of struggle ;)

Macca
07-07-2015, 11:54
Triumph of the Will, Jerry ;)

better than a Triumph TR7, anyway....

jandl100
07-07-2015, 16:03
... or maybe it's a class (A) struggle :lol:

Audio Al
08-08-2015, 20:24
What :eek:

No Lava lamps Jerry

jandl100
08-08-2015, 20:29
No, no, Alan :nono:
Of course I have lava lamps - loads of 'em!! :)

Marco
12-08-2015, 23:04
Thread now tidied up, Jerry... Don't say I'm not good to you! ;)

Marco.

DSJR
12-08-2015, 23:24
The Myst amps were beautifully made inside I remember and I think used a derivative of the Hitachi MOS-FET design unless I'm very mistaken. As you say Jerry, very capable of subtlety if it's there further back in the chain. I don't think they were dealt a fair hand by the ubiquitous Linn/Naim brigade at the time - I remember how, despite my remembering the Myst amps sounding better in most ways than CB Naim, our Naim-centric sales director basically showed them the door...

jandl100
13-08-2015, 06:45
Thanks, Marco :) -- I hope you have saved the pearls of automotive wisdom in a safe place.

__

Ah, the sins of the Flat Earth era, Dave. They were manyfold. Many a fine product and company was suppressed by the bully boy tactics of the Linn/Naim axis.

Chez Jerry it came to a tussle between the Myst G-Ohm amps and the Restek Challenger.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/DSCF6408_zpsojdk5od8.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/jandl100/media/DSCF6408_zpsojdk5od8.jpg.html)

I suspect that in the end it was 130wpc vs 80wpc that won out - or maybe the frog made the difference - but the Restek simply had just that bit more power and freedom into my rather inefficient speakers (rated at 84dB/W). Both amps were excellent at the things that are most important to me - transparency, resolution, image focus and depth. I suspect that putting aside power considerations, the Myst had a bit more in the way of taut bass control. Both have loads of rez at high frequencies but thankfully fail to shriek.
So the Myst is now residing with its hopefully happy new owner and I remain surprisingly happy with the Restek. There's a real synergy between me, my MBLs and that Amp. :)

Other hifi news at Jerry Towers? - had my lovely vintage Marantz receiver and cassette deck serviced.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/DSCF0306_zps64c0feed.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/jandl100/media/DSCF0306_zps64c0feed.jpg.html)

Been using the cassette deck quite a lot with my collection of commercial pre-recorded tapes - what a fine source! It sounds great.

I've bought a little switch box to allow a few more sources to go through my Antimode DAC/ADC/pre so now everything in my system can go thru that fine little system controller -- in order of amount of usage -- live streaming, record deck, cassette, CD, DVD.

At the prompting of a thread on the TAS forum I tried a few ferrite rings around cables. Excellent results with my laptop->DAC USB cable :thumbsup:, sounded dire around interconnects :scratch:, marginal change around some power cords so far tried (some maybe a tad better, others closed the sound in a bit).

Planned changes? .... None!! Sheesh. And I call myself a boxswapper. :( I'll have to see what comes along that takes my fancy, but I have to confess to being extraordinarily happy with my system at the moment. :)

howlindawg
13-08-2015, 06:52
IMPOSTER!!!

Planned changes? .... None!!

:popcorn:

jandl100
13-08-2015, 07:11
IMPOSTER!!!

I think I've been taken over by aliens ....

.... but that happened years ago. :lol:

I've tried a few different components recently - amps, DACs, cables - but ended up staying with what I had. :scratch:

mikeyb
13-08-2015, 15:43

Nope, the carpets where I work are definitely more up to date lol.

Firebottle
13-08-2015, 16:33
Jerry I can't believe it :doh:

Interesting that the Myst came so close to being a keeper.

Maybe you would like to try my stand alone Firebottle Tri phono stage once I have made one :rolleyes:
It is going to be the phono only section from the Firebottle KIN that I so cruelly let you listen to and then took away again.

Watching your further developments with interest (I don't think you have stopped boxswapping.........)

jandl100
13-08-2015, 17:28
Jerry I can't believe it :doh:

Interesting that the Myst came so close to being a keeper.

:whistle: :D

Maybe you would like to try my stand alone Firebottle Tri phono stage once I have made one :rolleyes:

Hmm, yes, that would be interesting, it sounded fab! :drool: Not sure I can afford it, though. :scratch:

It is going to be the phono only section from the Firebottle KIN that I so cruelly let you listen to and then took away again.

Yeah, that was a bugger of a thing to do! :(
;)

Watching your further developments with interest (I don't think you have stopped boxswapping.........)

Yup, I'm sure you are correct. :)

--- btw, have you had a chance to check your spares box, Alan, for those two input selection buttons for my big vintage Rotel amp? :help: :)

Barry
14-08-2015, 17:11
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/DSCF0306_zps64c0feed.jpg

Uuuh! That's 'loud' on the eyes - not quite 'bling' but 'loud' nonetheless. :D

jandl100
14-08-2015, 17:21
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/DSCF0306_zps64c0feed.jpg

Uuuh! That's 'loud' on the eyes - not quite 'bling' but 'loud' nonetheless. :D

I think they look scrumptious. :ner:

Barry
14-08-2015, 17:55
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". ;)

Anthony K
14-08-2015, 21:28
That Marantz pairing is truly lovely

jandl100
15-08-2015, 06:37

Now there is a man with good taste! :thumbsup:

jandl100
15-08-2015, 06:38
double-post weirdness!

dougmon
15-08-2015, 14:40

+1

When you compare it to a lot of modern equipment, it's pretty understated. Just a couple of boxes with enough display to let the user know what they need to do.

Ali Tait
15-08-2015, 18:40
+2. Always liked the classic Marantz look.

jandl100
15-08-2015, 18:40
I only bought them for their looks. But, happily, they are very capable performers as well. :)

User211
17-08-2015, 18:45
The 'slit' tunning knobs were not in the same league as the weighted 'zoom it down the end of the scale in one flick' of others at the time.

Nevertheless, nuff knobs to twiddle til the cows come home.

Nice. Not absolutely right up there with the most desirable. But nice nonetheless.

jandl100
17-08-2015, 18:50
They were/are top of my Most Desirable list as far as aesthetics are concerned. :)

jandl100
06-09-2015, 07:11
The 3 amps-de-jour at Jerry Mansions ....

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/DSCF6490_zps71zamatd.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/jandl100/media/DSCF6490_zps71zamatd.jpg.html)

Restek Challenger, Rotel RA-1412 .... and my new baby, a Peavey PV 2.6 C pro power amp. :whistle:

That Peavey cost me less than a decent round of drinks and is so stupidly good that it is, well, stupid!
I could happily live with it forever and anon.
Transparency, power, rez, speed, neutrality - it's got the lot. It's just a great sounding amplifier.

100wpc into 8 ohms, 130wpc into 4.
No fan. But the chassis vibrates and hums a bit, so the judiciously placed damping pretty much sorts that out. :)
Inputs and outputs by 1/4 inch jack plugs, so some adaptors used for RCA i/c cables and I had some jack-terminated speaker cables waiting. IEC mains socket, so I can use my fave Nordost Blue Heaven mains cable.

It sounds genuinely excellent. Surprised and pleased at this eBay browsing find. :thumbsup:

brian2957
06-09-2015, 07:36
Sounds like a candidate for Sound Damped Steel Isofeet Jerry . They don't work on everything , but when they do work :eek:

jandl100
06-09-2015, 07:44
Sounds like a candidate for Sound Damped Steel Isofeet Jerry . Thet don't work on everything , but when they do work :eek:

Interesting - thanks Brian.

Lessee ... ah .... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Isofeet-by-SoundDampedSteel-In-Stainless-Steel-set-of-4-/190830586967

They cost more than the amp did. :lol:

brian2957
06-09-2015, 08:13
Could double the performance :D

jandl100
06-09-2015, 08:59
I seriously doubt it, amps don't come much better than this.

I've thought this about amps for a while - a good'un is a good'un, regardless of price.
You can get stinkers and stonkers at pretty much any price with amplifiers, imo. :)

When I think of the thousands I have spent on audiofool amp tweakery. :doh:

User211
06-09-2015, 09:29
There's a pair of Peavey loudspeakers used down at the local pub that sound excellent. Really seriously so. They are used for gigging.

walpurgis
06-09-2015, 10:16
Interesting. Some modern 'DJ' amps can sound very good. Nice to see the old Rotel there. I like battleship vintage Jap amps.

jandl100
06-09-2015, 10:27
Yes, the Rotel has been my amp of choice for the last week or so, it really is very good. I got it 'untested' on eBay, so of course it didn't work. :lol: But it was sorted easily by a local tech guy for about £80 all in and it now sounds great! It has a bit more 'character' than the Peavey; a bit loose in the bass and a bit rose-tinted in the mids which nonetheless have excellent rez, and is slightly 'friendly' at the top end. Good 3D imaging, too. I likes it a lot. :)

Audio Al
06-09-2015, 10:49
Have you had one of these Jerry
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROTEL-RB5000-THE-POWER-AMP-ONLY-20-pieces-PERFECT-COND-1000-W-RMS-rb-5000-a-/111760078222?hash=item1a056b758e

jandl100
06-09-2015, 10:54
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROTEL-RB5000-THE-POWER-AMP-ONLY-20-pieces-PERFECT-COND-1000-W-RMS-rb-5000-a-/111760078222?hash=item1a056b758e

:drool: :lol:

Sadly, no. :(

I've seen that one on eBay for quite a while.
Cor, yummy.
Over-priced, though, I think.

http://www.hometheater.co.il/files/(12869)_rotel_rb_5000_2.jpg

:stalks: :eek:

walpurgis
06-09-2015, 10:57

Nice enough I guess, but if you're going to get something that looks like that, you may as well spend the extra and do it properly.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDIO-RESEARCH-REFERENCE-75-VALVE-POWER-AMPLIFIER-/262037324466?hash=item3d02a442b2

Macca
06-09-2015, 11:08
My favourite looking pre-power combo ever.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HITACHI-HCA-7500-PRE-HITACHI-HMA-7500-MOSFET-POWER-AMPLIFIER/291550567318?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D33052%26meid%3Dc456c0b305854c7db5198b42c00c b7ba%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D1117 60078222

And it is just down the road from me.

jandl100
06-09-2015, 11:22
I like the looks of this one. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NIKKO-ALPHA-440-Monster-JAPANESE-POWER-AMPLIFIER-superb-DC-volume-controls/321836886558?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3De03a269e0673436180f 18fdf4a2948e7%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26 sd%3D291550567318

Quite tempted, actually!

http://img.canuckaudiomart.com/uploads/large/148089-nikko_alpha_440__excellent_condition__600_shipped. jpg

:drool:

User211
06-09-2015, 11:44
I have been checking this for a while:

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Nakamichi-PA-7E-II-Stereo-Power-Amplifier-Referenzklasse-Verstaerker-500W-/00/s/MTA2N1gxNjAw/z/H-0AAOSwPcVVj6O2/$_57.JPG

That's the best looking one on ebay de. There are three, one at 602 Euros at the mo which is knackered looking but apparently the MK1 is the one to go for sonically.

It is a Nelson Pass design. That puts me off a bit I don't like any Pass X series amp I have ever heard TBH.

There seems to be a real German trend to find 1970s/80s amps and overcharge for them.

Another example is this Yammy B2 V-FET jobbie. Supposed to be very good.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/YAMAHA-B2x-Referenzklasse-Endstufe-Pure-Class-A-Doppel-Mono-Kraftpaket-TOP-/181830662997?hash=item2a55f3bb55

walpurgis
06-09-2015, 11:45

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HITACHI-HCA-7500-PRE-HITACHI-HMA-7500-MOSFET-POWER-AMPLIFIER/291550567318?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D33052%26meid%3Dc456c0b305854c7db5198b42c00c b7ba%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D1117 60078222

I've used them. The power amp is nice enough, but the pre is a let down.

Marco
06-09-2015, 18:02

Why not just go and buy it then, daftee? £550 I suspect is do-able for you, and life's too short to deny yourself of such pleasures... Go on, treat yourself! :)

Marco.

Macca
06-09-2015, 21:45
Thought about it but I've just got no use for them.

jandl100
07-09-2015, 06:16

I prefer these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hitatchi-Control-Amp-HCA-8500-MK-11-Stereo-Power-Amp-HMA-8500-MK-11-/221876499151?hash=item33a8deb2cf

If t'were nearer I'd probably snaffle them myself :)

Marco
07-09-2015, 07:02
Thought about it but I've just got no use for them.

I thought you were struggling to find an amp you liked? Last I heard you were using that wee valve amp, which blew you away, but you wanted more power. So what have you settled on now? :)

Marco.

Macca
07-09-2015, 07:30
Nowt. I had a gadgee in to read the meters on Saturday morning, when they tell me how much of a refund I'm due that is when the hi-fi buying will commence!

Macca
07-09-2015, 07:32
I prefer these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hitatchi-Control-Amp-HCA-8500-MK-11-Stereo-Power-Amp-HMA-8500-MK-11-/221876499151?hash=item33a8deb2cf

If t'were nearer I'd probably snaffle them myself :)

No grab handles, dodgy late '80s aesthetics: They might sound better than my favourites but they don't look it :)

brian2957
07-09-2015, 07:34
Hope it's a BIG bag o'money Martin . The more the merrier . I could do with one of those myself . I'll be watching with interest :)

Beobloke
07-09-2015, 09:27
Another example is this Yammy B2 V-FET jobbie. Supposed to be very good.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/YAMAHA-B2x-Referenzklasse-Endstufe-Pure-Class-A-Doppel-Mono-Kraftpaket-TOP-/181830662997?hash=item2a55f3bb55

That link is to a B2x, which is Class A but not a VFET unit - you're thinking of the B2 shown here - http://www.thevintageknob.org/yamaha-B-2.html. I bought myself a B2 recently after years of searching, as it happens! :eyebrows:

As to the Hitachi units that have been mentioned, as I understood it they "allegedly" had a reputation as measuring very well but sounding very drab. However, I had a long listen to a friend's HMA-6500 recently, and can only conclude that it must have been faulty as it was utterly superb. I'm also keen to try one of the bigger ones and, like Jerry, am wishing those 8500s weren't so far away!

DSJR
07-09-2015, 13:28
Those Hitachi weren't made by Naim, so this automatically condemned them in so many blinkered eyes :steam:

Lots of amps made to a sort-of Hitachi spec that sound fine today if properly serviced - Myst, HH MOS-FET models and I believe the Pace/Tresham/Tannoy amps were too.

Yomanze
11-09-2015, 08:58
LFD has worked wonders with the Hitachi style amps.

This design is extremely layout and parts sensitive due to the simplicity. Myst and LFD understood the importance of star grounding in this design.

jandl100
21-10-2015, 10:10
He he he he :D - this is stupidly cute and sounds damn fine!

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/DSCF6545_zpsu8twcicf.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/jandl100/media/DSCF6545_zpsu8twcicf.jpg.html)

It's tiny! -- less than 9 inches wide.

10wpc if the wind is in the right direction.
Similar valve line-up to a Leak Stereo 20 - 2 EL84 power valves a side. And a couple of 5750 input valves - I've just ordered a pair of GE type as they are supposed to be a worthwhile upgrade.
The EL84 are Sovtek.

Playing some solo lute music at the moment - gorgeous!

struth
21-10-2015, 10:14
Looks like one of those music angel jobbies

jandl100
21-10-2015, 10:21
It's a Yarland FV-34CIII :)

jandl100
21-10-2015, 10:30
... I don't think I'll be taking it round to Justin's on Friday though to try out on his big Apogees. :nono: :eyebrows:

User211
21-10-2015, 13:23
I think we should attach the output of the Accuphase to the input of the Yarland and turn everything to 11:D

jandl100
23-10-2015, 12:58
A pair of NOS GE JAN 5670W input valves now installed - they glow quite brightly :)

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/DSCF6562_zpsnjqqwife.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/jandl100/media/DSCF6562_zpsnjqqwife.jpg.html)

Well, that's put a bit more pep into it! :eek:

Now sorted for all my music needs - including Dream Theater at 11.
It really should not be able to do this. :scratch:

Firebottle
23-10-2015, 13:29
Whoa, whoa, hang on..........

This isn't Jerry saying he has possibly stopped swapping things :scratch::eek:

Remarkable for the price.

jandl100
23-10-2015, 13:32
Don't be silly, Alan. :lol:

- but it is an astonishing little bit of kit - regardless of price.
Amazing transparency, speed and 3D imaging.

I really could live with this long term.

southall-1998
23-10-2015, 13:51
A pair of NOS GE JAN 5670W input valves now installed - they glow quite brightly :)

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/DSCF6562_zpsnjqqwife.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/jandl100/media/DSCF6562_zpsnjqqwife.jpg.html)

Looks very nice, Jerry. The volume is almost on full blast! Does your CD Player have a low output voltage?

S.

jandl100
23-10-2015, 14:47
Looks very nice, Jerry. The volume is almost on full blast! Does your CD Player have a low output voltage?

S.

It is on full, Shane. I stream from my laptop and control volume from there,

m10
23-10-2015, 15:01

How gorgeous is that? Styling reminds me of the Unison Research(?) stuff from the 90s. I think I would do a valves-and-vinyl (+ streaming) thing if I wasn't also into movies, or had a second lounge... Is it time to move house? Haha! :D

jandl100
23-10-2015, 15:18
. Double post

Firebottle
23-10-2015, 15:46
More water with the sauce Jerry.

Must come over again with more goodies for you to listen to...............and not leave behind :doh:

Audio Advent
23-10-2015, 16:33
Valves glowing blue?? A little trickery going on there... shame they' feel the need. Not all valve have to glow.

jandl100
23-10-2015, 19:26
Valves glowing blue?? A little trickery going on there... shame they' feel the need. Not all valve have to glow.

Well, no harm done. :)

Regard the blue LEDs as a power indicator.

But yes, I do agree.

jandl100
23-10-2015, 19:27
More water with the sauce Jerry.

Must come over again with more goodies for you to listen to...............and not leave behind :doh:

You would be very welcome, Alan. :)

User211
24-10-2015, 17:15
It is on full, Shane. I stream from my laptop and control volume from there,

Shouldn't really do that. The way digital volume control works is not good. You should hear observably better if you leave digital volume on max, and control it manually. Try it and see what I mean.

cyclopse
01-11-2015, 21:00
Don't be silly, Alan. :lol:

- but it is an astonishing little bit of kit - regardless of price.
Amazing transparency, speed and 3D imaging.

I really could live with this long term.

How will you know when you have reached utopia or is the experimentation more fun?

jandl100
01-11-2015, 21:04
How will you know when you have reached utopia or is the experimentation more fun?

Utopia is not the goal.
I just like to try different things. :)

Bristol? - not that far from me - Justin has made the trip several times. You are welcome to visit me in the lovely Forest of Dean if you would like to, Stephen.

cyclopse
01-11-2015, 21:27
Hi Jerry,

Used to have relation in Cinderford so have some experience of the Forset. Should be hearing Justin's Accuphase soon. Always good to hear different systems, would like to take up your offer.

Regards

Stephen

jandl100
01-11-2015, 21:32
That would be great, Stephen - the MBLs are an interesting listen.

Let me know when you fancy popping over.

My system's sonic aspirations are more in tune with yours than Justin's, I suspect. :)

User211
01-11-2015, 23:12
His musical tastes are definitely more in line with mine than yours, Jerry.

No matter, the MBLs are worth the trip, Steve. They aren't as good as my speakers but he'll never admit it:)

Take the Nagra VPAs with you I reckon the MBLs would like those. The MBLs need 50 Watts or more before they start to shine IMHO. T-amps don't cut it with them in my opinion.

jandl100
02-11-2015, 07:54
His musical tastes are definitely more in line with mine than yours, Jerry.

I meant sonic presentation rather than music type. Soundstaging, imaging - that kind of stuff that the MBLs do so well - rather than the dynamic slam that you chase (and achieve). Although the MBLs ain't bad at that either.

No matter, the MBLs are worth the trip, Steve. They aren't as good as my speakers but he'll never admit it:)

Why should I admit it when it's not true? :scratch: :D

Actually, it's horses for courses and we are simply running different races and have different objectives for our systems. :) Our respective speakers succeed in the ways that we want them to.

Take the Nagra VPAs with you I reckon the MBLs would like those. The MBLs need 50 Watts or more before they start to shine IMHO. T-amps don't cut it with them in my opinion.

Who's talking about t-amps?

I think Stephen might be surprised by my little Yarland valve amp, as would you. :)
A Wammer visitor the other day was seriously impressed by the MBLs (as indeed he should be ;)) but he said the little Yarland amp was even more amazing for exceeding expectations. He said that his favourite test track had never sounded so good.

Anyway, I have a 130wpc Restek Challenger which can be plumbed in in a few minutes, and that works well with the MBLs.
But by all means bring the Viagras Nagras along, Stephen. :thumbsup:

User211
02-11-2015, 09:33
Minor wind ups obviously dangerous territory this morning LOL.

jandl100
02-11-2015, 12:58
Tsk tsk , and I thought my response was insightful and with a frisson of gentle humour ;)

Frazeur1
03-11-2015, 11:50
I would love to hear your MBL's Jerry. They are one of the Omni's that I have never gotten an opportunity to take a listen to, I keep thinking I will hit one of our audio shows over here in the states and get that chance, but always seem to be too busy to get to one. You certainly have a fine list of gear there too!

jandl100
03-11-2015, 16:47
Hi Timothy - well, you are more than welcome to pop in, but I do understand that it's a fair old trip from Indiana. :)

Yes, the MBLs are well worth a listen, very special speakers.

I used to do the full 'boxswap thing' changing a component every month or so, including speakers. But I've had the MBLs well over 5 years now and they are here for the duration as far as I am concerned.
Other hifi items continue to come and go, though. I just like to try different things.

cyclopse
03-11-2015, 17:38
Hi Timothy - well, you are more than welcome to pop in, but I do understand that it's a fair old trip from Indiana. :)

Yes, the MBLs are well worth a listen, very special speakers.

I used to do the full 'boxswap thing' changing a component every month or so, including speakers. But I've had the MBLs well over 5 years now and they are here for the duration as far as I am concerned.
Other hifi items continue to come and go, though. I just like to try different things.

Sounds like you have settled on a desert island speaker there.

jandl100
03-11-2015, 17:39
Yup, they do what I want.

Frazeur1
03-11-2015, 19:37
Yes it would be a bit of a long row over, someday maybe! Isn't it nice when you can reach that point-especially in a speaker where you can just leave well enough alone for the most part? Or anything really for that matter! I love speakers, they are my one real "problem" area, yet have resisted swapping my Larsens out in general since I bought them 3 years ago. Yes, I have flirted with other things, but nothing has been more constant speaker wise. Now with the Shahinian Larcs, I do have something else to play about with every now and then, but at some point, they will probably end up in the bedroom, maybe. I guess I feel pretty content overall with the system and setup. Fun to play though!

jandl100
05-11-2015, 08:40
Dave's comment uplifted from Macca's blog ...

Jerry was going to try a Crown D-60 and supposedly bought one, but he's never mentioned it since so I suspect he didn't like it.

Ah, no.
It arrived and looked tatty, as expected. So I took it along to my current hifi fixer and left it with him to check over before I hooked it up in my system. Phone call a few days later - it's been completely trashed inside by a bodger - completely non-economic to fix. So I dumped it in the recycling. :(

jandl100
10-11-2015, 07:37
My room is moderately tidy at the moment, for some reason. So a good opportunity for a room-system-shot with the current setup.
Nice dim lighting. :)

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/DSCF6575_zpshwe5wxxr.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/jandl100/media/DSCF6575_zpshwe5wxxr.jpg.html)

Firebottle
10-11-2015, 09:06
Looking good Jerry.

Any chance of trying my AIR power amp on your maggies at some time?

jandl100
10-11-2015, 09:10
The Maggies are in mid-Wales, which may make things tricky?

Above are the MBLs in Glos.

jollyfix
10-11-2015, 09:56
Those MBLs look the business Jerry. Very nice indeed.

DSJR
10-11-2015, 10:58
Dave's comment uplifted from Macca's blog ...

Ah, no.
It arrived and looked tatty, as expected. So I took it along to my current hifi fixer and left it with him to check over before I hooked it up in my system. Phone call a few days later - it's been completely trashed inside by a bodger - completely non-economic to fix. So I dumped it in the recycling. :(

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I needed a proper top cover (my headphone D-60 has a D75 cover shoehorned into place) and a couple of spare knobs would have been to advantage as the pots are narrow shaft......... A spare set of caps and selected/matched transistors from the main board would have been nice as well.....

See, even a botched one has some kind of value to someone...

jandl100
10-11-2015, 11:32
Ah. Sorry, David. I was peed off and just dumped the thing!
It was all very tatty/rusty and knobs missing. It may not have been any use to you anyway.

Those MBLs look the business Jerry. Very nice indeed.

Thanks, Dave - yep, they ain't half bad! :)

Firebottle
10-11-2015, 12:01
The Maggies are in mid-Wales, which may make things tricky?

Yes I hadn't forgotten, will have to visit there :)

jandl100
10-11-2015, 12:04
OK - that's cool! :) I'll PM you, Alan.

DSJR
10-11-2015, 14:13
No probs Jerry. You already have a DC300A, which is broadly the same circuit idea (in a more rigorous form) and sharing the same basic sound with 5 times the power. I seem to have become the D-60 refuge/hospital, when what I really need is a D-150A at least... Hifi Dave's DC300A (satin finish sample with silver knobs) sounded incredibly good last I heard it and his very tatty D-150 was very similar sounding, despite it's long and possibly hard life. The one you could try if you were ever still interested, is the first D75 (not the D-75A which was simplified) which ken Rockwell enthused over recently. Easy to change US mains settings to European ones :)

jandl100
10-11-2015, 14:28
My DC300A is currently staring at me reproachfully from the spares shelf.
I have a buyer lined up for it. :)

So, no - the vintage Crown stuff now falls under the heading of been there, done that! :)

jandl100
15-11-2015, 08:01
And they said it would never happen ---- New speakers at Jerry Towers! :eek:

Mega horn hybrids. Actives, too. :drool:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/DSCF6582_zpsq4ycu5zd.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/jandl100/media/DSCF6582_zpsq4ycu5zd.jpg.html)

Firebottle
15-11-2015, 08:55
My word Jerry, rave on.

Do tell how they are once you've had a day or two :)

Tarzan
15-11-2015, 09:35
And they said it would never happen ---- New speakers at Jerry Towers! :eek:

Mega horn hybrids. Actives, too. :drool:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/DSCF6582_zpsq4ycu5zd.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/jandl100/media/DSCF6582_zpsq4ycu5zd.jpg.html)

Come on Jerry spill the beans- l have the horn too.:eek:

User211
15-11-2015, 09:56
Are the MBLs still there though? The Ravon's do look a lot better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC5yfIarFiA