PDA

View Full Version : WTD: 4x GEC KT88's at a reasonable price

The Black Adder
15-07-2011, 15:05
Hello.

Has anyone got any GEC KT88's for sale? I'm after 4 in all.

Need to be in good condition electronically and visually.

I'll pay a decent price but nothing silly like some are asking these days.

Cheers
Joe

Ali Tait
15-07-2011, 16:38
You'll be lucky Joe, these are in short supply these days. Supply and demand applies unfortunately. Best of luck!

Jonboy
15-07-2011, 21:46
You'll be lucky Joe, these are in short supply these days. Supply and demand applies unfortunately. Best of luck!

I thought £500 and i have just checked on a certain site and this confirms my thoughts :eek:

sorry Joe no bargains to be had with the nos variety

steveinfrance
16-07-2011, 13:55
Try these
http://cgi.ebay.fr/Matched-Quad-ElectroHarmonix-KT88-tubes-Valves-6550-EH-/310331331362?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4841305322#ht_3815wt_962
$100 for four matched electroharmonix KT88s, P+P to Europe $20.
I don't think you'll hear £400 + worth of difference.
I'm not at all convinced about 'rolling' O/P valves - Emporer's new clothes if you ask me.
It's like wine. I can tell the difference between a €3 and a €30 bottle but not between a €30 and €300.

worrasf
16-07-2011, 14:14
Try these
http://cgi.ebay.fr/Matched-Quad-ElectroHarmonix-KT88-tubes-Valves-6550-EH-/310331331362?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4841305322#ht_3815wt_962
$100 for four matched electroharmonix KT88s, P+P to Europe $20.
I don't think you'll hear £400 + worth of difference.
I'm not at all convinced about 'rolling' O/P valves - Emporer's new clothes if you ask me.
It's like wine. I can tell the difference between a €3 and a €30 bottle but not between a €30 and €300.

I suppose it depends on your definition of what £400 worth of difference is ;)

When I first got my Croft S4s it came with a quad of no-name Chinese 6550a's (pretty darn similar to KT88's) - I replaced these with a platinum matched quad of EH 6550a's and they were horrid to my ears :eek:
Overly bright and just didn't convey the emotions and musical clues. I punted for a quad of NOS GE 6550a's and have never looked back :) Not for me to say if that improvement was "worth" £400 but I've already bought 2 matched pair of NOS NIB GE 6550's for the day these fail :mental: which I managed to pick up for £210 for the 4 :)

As others have posted NOS GE's are getting expensive and most folk who have them to sell know the market value but just occasionally you can get a true bargain.

IMHO the difference between NOS and new production valves is very real and not "emperors' new clothes stuff" - believe me I'm from Yorkshire and pretty tight with my brass so would not punt a few hundred hard-earned sovs if I thought I cold get the same result for less. Trouble is, it's not possible to try before you buy so you really do take a leap into the unknown but then again that's where (hopefully) AoS forums can help :)

Steve

Old boy
16-07-2011, 15:05
Hello.

Has anyone got any GEC KT88's for sale? I'm after 4 in all.

Need to be in good condition electronically and visually.

I'll pay a decent price but nothing silly like some are asking these days.

Cheers
Joe

I have a genuine matched quad of GEC KT 88s available
Available at what I consider a fair price,they are certainly less than you see on eBay of late and these really are the real deal not iffy copies

If They are too much
I also have another quad bought Nos by me done no more than 100hours used in my Mcintosh mc275

steveinfrance
16-07-2011, 15:13
Steve
We mustn't hijack a 'For Sale' thread or the beak will tell us off but I'm surprised.
EH are well reviewed by 'em as claims to tell t'difference (note deferential use of YorkSpeak here)
eg http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_9_2/power-tube-comparison-6-2002.html
Not in any way TMGHTSE (new abbreviation - Teaching My Grandmother etc.) but did you set/check the bias current on your EH's. That really matters and is, I believe, responsible for most of the differences people can hear. I'm prepared to accept audible differences in low-signal valves due to tolerances affecting linearity but a properly set up KT88 is, I believe, just a KT88.
Steve

worrasf
16-07-2011, 16:01
Steve
We mustn't hijack a 'For Sale' thread or the beak will tell us off but I'm surprised.
EH are well reviewed by 'em as claims to tell t'difference (note deferential use of YorkSpeak here)
eg http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_9_2/power-tube-comparison-6-2002.html
Not in any way TMGHTSE (new abbreviation - Teaching My Grandmother etc.) but did you set/check the bias current on your EH's. That really matters and is, I believe, responsible for most of the differences people can hear. I'm prepared to accept audible differences in low-signal valves due to tolerances affecting linearity but a properly set up KT88 is, I believe, just a KT88.
Steve
Hi Steve
Yes, best make this the last one :)
Yes, I'm touched with OCD :rolleyes: so bias setting is routine monthly maintenance :eek:

Tata for now :)

The Black Adder
16-07-2011, 22:39
I have a genuine matched quad of GEC KT 88s available
Available at what I consider a fair price,they are certainly less than you see on eBay of late and these really are the real deal not iffy copies

If They are too much
I also have another quad bought Nos by me done no more than 100hours used in my Mcintosh mc275

PM sent.. thanks Kev

The Black Adder
14-08-2011, 17:06
Still Looking..

Kev seems to not be available. But if you get this Kev, please get in touch.

The Black Adder
19-08-2011, 13:56
Shamown... Surely someone?