PDA

View Full Version : Proms

MartinT
14-07-2011, 19:30
Anyone else going to this year's BBC Proms? I'm going to Prom 34: Bridge, Holt, Dupré & Saint-Saëns on 9th August. BBC National Orchestra of Wales
conducted by François-Xavier Roth.

Barry
14-07-2011, 22:35
Anyone else going to this year's BBC Proms? I'm going to Prom 34: Bridge, Holt, Dupré & Saint-Saëns on 9th August. BBC National Orchestra of Wales
conducted by François-Xavier Roth.

Gave up attending the Proms years ago. I got fed up, in the 'great ticket lottery', of being sold crappy seats; and there are many in the Albert Hall! :steam:

Nowadays I am more than content to listen to the Proms on Radio 3. The Beeb do a good job: the sound balance is that of the best seats (and yes, I have sat in those on occasions). Of course you loose the 'you are there' experience: the sheer sense of occasion and of the (pretty bad) acoustics of the Albert Hall; but the convenience makes up for it.

Tim
14-07-2011, 22:38
Every year I keep saying I will go, maybe next year :scratch:

colinB
14-07-2011, 22:47
I fancied Halle doing Bartoc Sibelius and Janacek but im not so sure now. I dont like the sound of the Albert and i dont fancy a crap seat.
Listen or watch on the Beeb i think.

Tim
14-07-2011, 22:54
I fancied Halle doing Bartoc Sibelius and Janacek but im not so sure now. I dont like the sound of the Albert and i dont fancy a crap seat.
Listen or watch on the Beeb i think.
Hmmm, can't remember how many times I have been there, never had a crap seat yet :scratch:

Barry
14-07-2011, 23:11
Hmmm, can't remember how many times I have been there, never had a crap seat yet :scratch:

The Albert Hall can accomodate 6,000 people. Excluding the centre of the Arena (where the promenarders stand - did it once, never again!) there is probably only about a couple of hundred seats that are any good.

Even sat in the stalls one can hear the echo off the wall behind the upper circle seats.

Sitting in a box on 'bore-sight' is OK but the sound is distant; you've got all those bloody promenarders in the way. The upper boxes are better but the sound stage is unbalanced.

The only concert I have heard at the Albert Hall where the acoustics was in any way decent was seeing the folk group Pentangle. On that occasion there were seats in the Arena and I was sat midway across and midway back.

Acoustically the Albert Hall is a disaster when it comes to the Proms. The only reason to attend is to hear a soloist or a visiting orchestra you haven't heard before.

colinB
14-07-2011, 23:12
I havent been to the Proms but i did see Yes from a balcony just left of the stage. It was weird.

MartinT
15-07-2011, 05:57
I tend to go for the 'expensive'* seats circled just around the promenaders. The viewing position is low but the sound is the best to be had (agreed that the Albert Hall acoustics are challenging), the people sat there tend to be enthusiasts and the atmosphere is unbeatable.

The worst place to be is in the upper gallery to the left of stage near the organ. Awful echo chamber, and completely drowned out when the organ is playing.

Saying all that, the Proms were always intended to bring classical music to the people and I salute Sir Henry Moore for that. The tickets are cheap, the visiting orchestras and performers are impressive and the atmosphere, as I said, is terrific. A credit to the BBC, who also broadcast them rather well.

*compared with the outrageous ticket prices for the Royal Opera House, the Proms are an absolute bargain.

jandl100
15-07-2011, 08:19
As a uni student in London many years ago I used to go to lots of Proms as a promenader.

One of my all time great musical experiences was Haitink conducting Mahler 2 .... just mindblowingly powerful ... I was a few yards away from his podium. :eek: Ungh. :eek:
He never got close to that sheer visceral excitement in the recording studio, sadly.

A few days back I dug out my DAB radio, haven't tried using it for years. Happily, local DAB reception has improved markedly (it used to be unlistenable) and I look forward to the Proms this year - minidisc recorder at the ready. ;)
Janacek Glagolitic Mass on the 1st night (tonight!) - yummy.

MartinT
15-07-2011, 08:36
One of my all time great musical experiences was Haitink conducting Mahler 2 .... just mindblowingly powerful ... I was a few yards away from his podium. :eek: Ungh. :eek:

I had a similar visceral experience of Mahler 2 with Simon Rattle conducting the CBSO many years ago. Truly memorable with a staggering climax. Rarely have I seen the entire hall rise as one, emotions clear on many faces. It's that kind of experience that makes going to live events so worthwhile.

Tim
15-07-2011, 08:55
. . . and the atmosphere is unbeatable.

That for me hits the nail on the head, going to a live performance is so much more than just what it sounds like, especially the RAH ;)

Folkboy
17-07-2011, 21:31
I havent been to the Proms but i did see Yes from a balcony just left of the stage. It was weird.
The only time I went to the RAH was for the return of Spinal Tap. Now that was a gig!

jandl100
18-07-2011, 06:18
Anyone hear the Havergal Brian Gothic symphony last night - Wow! - huge, man - I really enjoyed it!
I went straight online to buy the Naxos CD set. :)

jandl100
23-07-2011, 07:13
Re; Brian Gothic. A bit of personal history ....

I'd owned the Naxos double CD years ago when it first came out (late 80s?) and sold it on quick as it didn't impress. In fact, it rather irritated.

Then listened twice to it on the radio at this year's Proms (live and also the replay a day or so later). Hmmm ... this is better than I thought. And word on the Amazon reviews is that the Naxos set had been re-mastered and was sounding much better.
So I have re-invested in the new set (single width jewel box, as well, which is handy).

Have now played CD1 a half dozen times at least .. and the damn thing is growing on me. Yes, I like it a lot now. And the sound quality is very good indeed - lovely bass drum work at the end of Tr10 and start of Tr11! The work's opening theme in the lower strings is haunting indeed - and it is subtly woven into the whole structure.
Certainly not a negligible piece, imo, but it needs a bit of persistence to start to unearth its wonders.

vinylspinner
24-07-2011, 19:54
Just listened to Verdi's Requiem, stunning performance and sounded great on the old valves :) can't wait until I am there next Saturday.

Nigel

MartinT
01-08-2011, 08:34
Next week for me. Can't wait to hear that wonderful organ in full song.

vinylspinner
01-08-2011, 08:45
Hi Martin,

Great night on Saturday, good performances all round but the percussion section in the Prokofiev was oustanding :eek:

Will be going back next year for sure.

Nigel

colinB
14-08-2011, 18:15
Enjoyed Prokofiev Romeo and juliet last night . Never heard it before im ashamed to say. Missed Prokofiev`s grandson doing turntables so must watch it on iplayer.
Kathryn Tickell on now.