PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox Touch Problem?

icehockeyboy
09-07-2011, 15:55
Having received a brand new replacement from Logitech a few weeks ago, all is well except for one recurring thing.

Every so often during a listening session, the SB becomes unresponsive, and then, moments later, it goes off, and then re starts.

Any thoughts nice folk of the AOS?

alfie2902
09-07-2011, 17:38
Hi Craig,

Do you use it wire-less? If so what signal strength are you getting? it sounds like you're having buffering issues maybe!

icehockeyboy
09-07-2011, 17:43
Hi Alfie, no it's not a signal problem, we are talking the SBT shutting itself off, and then re starting.............:scratch:

Ali Tait
09-07-2011, 17:48
Have you tried holding in the reset button for 10 seconds to perform a complete reboot?

icehockeyboy
09-07-2011, 18:13
Have you tried holding in the reset button for 10 seconds to perform a complete reboot?
Yep :)

Ali Tait
09-07-2011, 19:01
Checked for updates?

slate
09-07-2011, 22:18
or in other words: which version is it running?

Do you use a dedicated server or the Touch as a standalone?

icehockeyboy
10-07-2011, 02:13
or in other words: which version is it running?

Do you use a dedicated server or the Touch as a standalone?

7 5 4, not sure about the 2nd question....sorry!

Ali Tait
10-07-2011, 08:23
What he means is, do you run the Touch with a hard drive connected directly, or do you stream to the Touch from a computer?

slate
10-07-2011, 08:24
7 5 4, not sure about the 2nd question....sorry!

Do you have SqueezeBox Server running on a PC or NAS? or do you use the Touch as it is with your music library on a USB connected harddrive?

icehockeyboy
10-07-2011, 10:28
What he means is, do you run the Touch with a hard drive connected directly, or do you stream to the Touch from a computer?

Both.

technobear
10-07-2011, 21:52
Does the problem occur when you stream from a PC and also when you stream from the connected hard drive?

Have you tried disconnecting the connected hard drive and just streaming from a PC? Does the problem still occur when you do this?

Have you asked about this on the Slim Devices forum?

icehockeyboy
10-07-2011, 22:52
Does the problem occur when you stream from a PC and also when you stream from the connected hard drive?

Have you tried disconnecting the connected hard drive and just streaming from a PC? Does the problem still occur when you do this?

Have you asked about this on the Slim Devices forum?

Hi mate,
I will experiment with your suggestions, and no, not mentioned it yet as it is a fairly recent thing, and usually it takes an eternity to get a response on there.

I believe it is a yes to your first question in hindsight........

technobear
11-07-2011, 08:48
One other possibility is a poorly fitting power plug. I had that problem once with a Squeezebox Classic.

icehockeyboy
11-07-2011, 19:01
One other possibility is a poorly fitting power plug. I had that problem once with a Squeezebox Classic.

Definitely not that, the fitting is as tight as a ducks ar*e!

icehockeyboy
15-07-2011, 11:22
Still no reply at SB forum..........just like I said........:doh:

Stratmangler
15-07-2011, 13:02
If you're running 7.5.4 it sounds like you are running Squeezebox Server on a computer or capable NAS device.

You may have some kind of software/firmware issue.
SBS 7.5.5 has just been released - download and instal that and see how things run from there.

electric beach
15-07-2011, 14:19
If you're running 7.5.4 it sounds like you are running Squeezebox Server on a computer or capable NAS device.

You may have some kind of software/firmware issue.
SBS 7.5.5 has just been released - download and instal that and see how things run from there.

Chris, I'm going to apply the Soundcheck mods tomorrow. I should instal this latest version first to be fully up to speed. Nice heads up :)

icehockeyboy
15-07-2011, 20:11
Last time I looked, 7.5.5 was not for the Touch, but all the other SB's in the range........

Just looked on the SB forum, the update appears not to include the Touch.

Stratmangler
15-07-2011, 20:34
Is this the post you initially referred to ?
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=88718

I have two comments to make - first, it's not a Logitech officially sanctioned forum, it's a hangover from the Slim Devices days - second, your first post on the problem is brimming with information, so it's small wonder that nobody bit.

icehockeyboy
15-07-2011, 20:45
Yep, that's mine.....I gave too much info?......oh, first time for everything! :)

Stratmangler
15-07-2011, 20:53
Yep, that's mine.....I gave too much info?......oh, first time for everything! :)

The regular posters over there like to have the full story before they chip in on something like this.
So they'd want to know Mac, PC or NAS, Linux or Windoze, standalone or SBS - all that kind of stuff.
If you don't post it up at the start it's like extracting teeth, and nobody enjoys that.

When you received your replacement Touch did you use the PSU that came with it, or did you use your original one ?

icehockeyboy
15-07-2011, 22:30
Sorry Chris, in my world brimming with information means loads supplied, but your last post contradicts that, oh well never mind. :)

I used the new psu, why do you ask chum?

Stratmangler
16-07-2011, 08:34
Sorry Chris, in my world brimming with information means loads supplied, but your last post contradicts that, oh well never mind. :)

I used the new psu, why do you ask chum?

Well I've just had another look over there, and none of the information I mentioned is offered......

My problem is as it says above, I recently had my faulty Touch replaced, and nearly all is well, apart from an annoying thing that happens every so often.

I will be selecting an album, or a track, doesn't seem to matter where from, and all of a sudden, the Touch seems to freeze, I get no response from the remote or PC, and it just powers down, only to restart itself shortly afterwards.

Any thought and help much appreciated.

I ask about the PSU because a faulty one might do as you've described.

slate
16-07-2011, 10:19
The regular posters over there like to have the full story before they chip in on something like this.
So they'd want to know Mac, PC or NAS, Linux or Windoze, standalone or SBS - all that kind of stuff.
If you don't post it up at the start it's like extracting teeth, and nobody enjoys that.

That is exactly why I raised the questions previously .... I do not own a Touch myself, but having provided support in my professional life I automatically ask for missing information.... I do not own a Touch myself hence I have no idea about your problem. Had I spotted your post on slimdevices I would have done the same there...

Many comes to the slimdevices forum crying "it doesn't work"... and?

If you provide information then your chances for help increases. If a regular sees your post with the information provided, it might trigger his memory/interest... hence a response.
If he have to ask for basic information and then having to "wait" for the information.... well => not so dedicated

So, to help yourself, update your post on slimdevices.

All the bullets below might not apply in your case, but are basic support questions:
- describe your problem
- what have you tried to resolve it; factory reset, ...
- anything in the logfiles on the server
- software versions for the server, firmware versions of the boxes involved
- describe your setup; cabled/wireless? router, switches, server hardware, squeezeboxes,...
-
-
- time to mow the lawn

icehockeyboy
16-07-2011, 10:56
Well I've just had another look over there, and none of the information I mentioned is offered......

I ask about the PSU because a faulty one might do as you've described.

Hi Chris,
Can't get my head around how a faulty psu would affect the Touch in that way, as I said before, during searching for a track or album etc, it will freeze, the dac will then not acknowledge anything is being fed into it, and then the Touch shuts itself down, and then moments later, restarts itself.......:scratch:

Correct me if I am wrong, but if the psu was to blame, wouldn't it just power straight off without the freezing malarkey?

Ali Tait
16-07-2011, 11:09
Craig, have you tried loading an earlier version of SC onto the Touch?

icehockeyboy
16-07-2011, 12:02
Craig, have you tried loading an earlier version of SC onto the Touch?

No I haven't, mainly as the current one gives me no probs on my other SBT.

Ali Tait
16-07-2011, 13:56
Might be worth a try to see if it solves the problem.

icehockeyboy
14-08-2011, 10:04
Eventually called Logitech who suggested a total removal and re load of the server, which I did, and so far so good, but early days yet!

icehockeyboy
04-09-2011, 10:30
Eventually called Logitech who suggested a total removal and re load of the server, which I did, and so far so good, but early days yet!

As I said, early days back then, it started to do the same thing, Logitech suggests 7.6.1 will cure it......long story short....it didn't!

Awaiting 7.6.2

Stratmangler
04-09-2011, 10:51
Have you tried a different PSU ?
Probably not - pooh pooed the idea last time I suggested it.
A faulty PSU would do something similar to that you've described in your OP, and the PSU supplied with the Squeezebox is a cheap as chips piece of shit SMPS, built to a price, not to a standard.
It's perfectly feasible that the PSU is going into thermal shutdown.

icehockeyboy
04-09-2011, 11:12
Have you tried a different PSU ?
Probably not - pooh pooed the idea last time I suggested it.
A faulty PSU would do something similar to that you've described in your OP, and the PSU supplied with the Squeezebox is a cheap as chips piece of shit SMPS, built to a price, not to a standard.
It's perfectly feasible that the PSU is going into thermal shutdown.

I did try your suggestion, thought I mentioned it? Possibly not, but, if it were the PSU with the thermal shut down, I am sure that what happens wouldn't.

Firstly the Touch freezes, still powered up, then I detect one of the lights on the dac goes off, Touch still powered up, and then, Touch powers down, and eventually comes back on.
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not think it is anything to do with a faulty PSU.............:scratch:

Stratmangler
04-09-2011, 11:22
I did try your suggestion, thought I mentioned it? Possibly not, but, if it were the PSU with the thermal shut down, I am sure that what happens wouldn't.

Firstly the Touch freezes, still powered up, then I detect one of the lights on the dac goes off, Touch still powered up, and then, Touch powers down, and eventually comes back on.
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not think it is anything to do with a faulty PSU.............:scratch:

You hadn't mentioned about trying another PSU, otherwise I wouldn't have made my last post in this thread.
Faulty PSUs can cause equipment to glitch, lock up, reset etc.....
Seeing as you have tried an alternative PSU it looks like you have a faulty Squeezebox, and your only recourse is to take it up with Logitech.

Themis
04-09-2011, 11:38
Seeing as you have tried an alternative PSU it looks like you have a faulty Squeezebox, and your only recourse is to take it up with Logitech.
+1

icehockeyboy
04-09-2011, 11:46
You hadn't mentioned about trying another PSU, otherwise I wouldn't have made my last post in this thread.
Faulty PSUs can cause equipment to glitch, lock up, reset etc.....

Which I keep doing, but getting no further! :steam:

Despite being assured that 7.6.1 would fix it, they told me yesterday it hasn't, this being on the back of other people contacting them about the same problem. :(

Stratmangler
04-09-2011, 11:53
Which I keep doing, but getting no further! :steam:

Despite being assured that 7.6.1 would fix it, they told me yesterday it hasn't, this being on the back of other people contacting them about the same problem. :(

Tell them that you've had the problem pre 7.6.0 , and that it sounds like a manufacturing problem.
They'll be using 7.6.0 as a shit deflection screen at the moment, so take the shield off them and see how they respond.

When you first posted the problem the most up to date official server release was 7.5.5 , and it was rock solid stable.
Assuming that you having been playing with the development nightlies you would have first had the problem using 7.5.5

icehockeyboy
04-09-2011, 12:00
Haven't done any "nightly" stuff since the SB3, but apart from that, the Touch that is giving me grief is a replacement, and I can't recall whether it was on 7.5.5 when it all started happening........:scratch:

I see there is 7.7 available now, but it's been sooo long since I downloaded a beta version, so can I ask...is it the one at the top of the page I use, or the one below it?

Stratmangler
04-09-2011, 12:04
Just checked back in the thread - 7.5.4 was the current official release http://theartofsound.net/forum/showpost.php?p=234309&postcount=17

You have a faulty unit, despite it being a replacement for another faulty unit.

icehockeyboy
13-09-2011, 22:13
Just tried the current remote on a different Touch.......and despite the older unit not having a problem, it has now started doing what the newer unit does as described in previous posts, is that pointing to a faulty remote?

Stratmangler
13-09-2011, 22:18
... is that pointing to a faulty remote?

Might be.
What happens when you remove the batteries from the remotes and access SBS from a web browser ?

icehockeyboy
14-09-2011, 09:49
Might be.
What happens when you remove the batteries from the remotes and access SBS from a web browser ?

Haven't removed the batteries, but have accessed it from web browser, and I don't recall having a problem that way.

Spoke to Logitech moments ago, who are also of the thoughts it's the remote, but they are checking with their cleverer guys to see if that is what the problem is.

Will try the battery removal later when I get home :)