PDA

View Full Version : That defining moment...

griffo104
09-07-2011, 15:00
Not the moment you started on your hifi journey but the moment that made you realise it all had to change.

For me cd and digital was it when I got in to hifi.

On a sunday in a hotel in Heathrow I heard a fully fledged turntable setup and subsequently went and bought my first deck on the following Monday on a day off from work with a bonus I had received (wow that's such a long time ago now).

Listening to glorious analogue in it's full glory was something I had never experienced and all this new fangled cd stuff just wasnt going to be enough for me.

That first deck was a Michell Mycro purchased from Midland Audio Exchange and I've never looked back.

So waht's you moment that made you change direction and define you hifi pleasure.

tannoy man
09-07-2011, 18:35
For me it was a Leak Stereo 20, I'd owned so many Amps some of them
great, some just very good but the Leak was special and stayed at the
Heart of my system for longer than any other.

chris@panteg
09-07-2011, 19:01
For me , I think visiting Doug Dunlop and listening to his Source/Decca, Excelsior pre and modded Quads with the amazing seventh veil speakers.

chelsea
09-07-2011, 21:20
LP 12 into naim 125's and gale 401 chrome.

Sounded fantastic.

DSJR
09-07-2011, 21:54
Not the moment you started on your hifi journey but the moment that made you realise it all had to change.

For me cd and digital was it when I got in to hifi.

On a sunday in a hotel in Heathrow I heard a fully fledged turntable setup and subsequently went and bought my first deck on the following Monday on a day off from work with a bonus I had received (wow that's such a long time ago now).

Listening to glorious analogue in it's full glory was something I had never experienced and all this new fangled cd stuff just wasnt going to be enough for me.

That first deck was a Michell Mycro purchased from Midland Audio Exchange and I've never looked back.

So waht's you moment that made you change direction and define you hifi pleasure.

Had loads and one was when I first heard CD PROPERLY into good if expensive valves and this took me to HiFi dave's place in Radlett, some great live intimate jazz gigs and refreshed thinking on equipment and its reproduction :)

camtwister
10-07-2011, 10:13

In answer to that specific question...

I was a straight-down-the-line vintage gear enthusiast interested only in 1950s jukeboxes and Dansettes. Anything made after 1964 was too mod for me. One day, after a band rehearsal, our drummer insisted that I listen to some plastic shoeboxes in his lounge. He played a DAT cassette through a Mission Cyrus 1 integrated and a pair of Musical Fidelity MC4s. My word! There's stuff going on above 10kHz! The bass player is fretting different notes!

I've come full circle in the decades since and understand that the judicious selection and integration of vintage and modern can deliver musicality and fidelity.

The Black Adder
10-07-2011, 10:36
I was bored with the look of my hifi so I bought something different.. it opened my eyes to what and how much systems can differ.. carried on from there.

After doing the modern route I have realised that I like the older stuff better but this is what I was brought up on I guess.

jandl100
11-07-2011, 06:30
So what's you moment that made you change direction and define you hifi pleasure.

I don't think I've ever had a "change direction" moment ... but the first time I heard a semi-decent hifi - a small Philips system in a relative's home - well, I was only about 14, but I thought "I've GOT to get me one of those!". That's what started the whole hifi thing for me ... over 40 years now and still going strong! :)

MartinT
11-07-2011, 07:12
1. Buying a Pioneer PD-91 (my third CD player) and realising that this was the first time I was satisfied with the sound of CDs.

2. Replacing my passive lash-up with a Pass Labs X2 and understanding that you cannot beat a proper preamp.

3. All the recent mods to my Technics SL-1210, replacing CD as my top source with LP again.

griffo104
11-07-2011, 13:30
I don't think I've ever had a "change direction" moment ... but the first time I heard a semi-decent hifi - a small Philips system in a relative's home - well, I was only about 14, but I thought "I've GOT to get me one of those!". That's what started the whole hifi thing for me ... over 40 years now and still going strong! :)

I didn't think you had time for a change of direction Jerry :)

I thought your whole hifi hobby was to make sure you had a taste of everthing :eek:

Elzar
11-07-2011, 16:44
Jerry's direction, if he as one, must be like Cap'n Jack Sparrow's compass! :eyebrows: