PDA

View Full Version : FS: Nagaoka MP-30 mm cartridge

jandl100
09-07-2011, 12:48
I bought this on eBay not long ago, and have been using it as well as my DV10X5 MC cart ..... I've been humming & hahing for a while over which I preferred.

Ultimately, I think I'm just a MC kind of guy!

So this lovely little Naggie is up for sale. :)

I have the stylus guard, but not the original box.

It tracks really nicely and sounds solid and musical, in the mm way.

I paid £80 plus delivery - so that's what I'm asking.

That was a BIN eBay sale - I rather suspect it would have gone for more if it had been on auction.

Here's a couple of pics - the close up of the stylus is taken from the eBay auction and was said to be of the actual item.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/NagaokaMP-30.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/NagaokaMP30stylus.jpg

Alex_UK
09-07-2011, 12:56
Jerry - you have a PM. :)

jandl100
09-07-2011, 12:58
8 minutes. Ye gods!

OK - Alex - PM on its way. :)

Alex_UK
09-07-2011, 12:59
I kicked myself for not getting to it before you when it was on eBay so I'm not going to miss out on it a second time! ;)

jandl100
09-07-2011, 13:05
I kicked myself for not getting to it before you when it was on eBay so I'm not going to miss out on it a second time! ;)

Yep - I saw it on eBay for £80 or Best Offer ... and some twerps (sorry if that was you! ;)) had made offers. :mental: £80 seemed more than fair to me ... so I just clicked the BIN button! Some NOS ones were (and probably still are) on sale on eBay for £399!

jandl100
09-07-2011, 13:11
As expected, Alex is as quick with payment as he is with saying he would like to buy it!

Thanks Alex. :thumbsup:

Alex_UK
09-07-2011, 13:15
I am a twerp, but I didn't make an offer!!! I think I only found out about it after you had bought it - I have a regular eBay search and email notification for tons of things including Nagaoka, but I think by the time I found it you'd already snapped it up. Still, all's well that ends well - you've had a chance to play and now I join the illustrious list of jandl100 customers!!! ;)

Jac Hawk
09-07-2011, 13:27
Damn you to hell Alex, i've been upstairs listening to records since about 10am and i've just noticed this thread when i've come down for a bite to eat. You've got a real bargain there mate, you'll have to let me know how it stacks up against the MP15. :cool:

Alex_UK
09-07-2011, 13:55
Damn you to hell Alex

:eek: Easy fella! ;)

You've got a real bargain there mate, you'll have to let me know how it stacks up against the MP15. :cool:

Yep, just happened to be on at the right time, and knew if I snooze I lose... I absolutely love the MP-15 so hopefully the MP-30 will be more of the same - I think the boron cantilever on the 30 is a big plus. You can have first dibs on it if I don't like it Mike - alternatively I will of course rub your nose in it and tell you how amazing it is if I love it! :ner: ;)

DSJR
09-07-2011, 14:32
Well done mate :) :peace:

These do like low mass arms, so if you get the chance to buy an SME shell for not too silly money, this would work well (using the gunk between cart and shell too).

Alex_UK
09-07-2011, 14:35
Well done mate :) :peace:

These do like low mass arms, so if you get the chance to buy an SME shell for not too silly money, this would work well (using the gunk between cart and shell too).

Cheers Dave - would have been silly not too really! This'll make you laugh - I do still have the SME shell - it's in the garage somewhere along with the original 401 mat! :D Maybe an expedition is called for this weekend!

DSJR
09-07-2011, 14:37
You mean you haven't been in there yet? Shame on you sir :eek: :D

Alex_UK
09-07-2011, 14:39
You mean you haven't been in there yet? Shame on you sir :eek: :D

Trust me, it's a daunting prospect!

Tim
09-07-2011, 14:49
As expected, Alex is as quick with payment as he is with saying he would like to buy it!
. . . all you need to do now Alex is sit the wife down when it arrives, tell her you have bought a new cartridge and say "Just listen to how good Meddle sounds now love - especially Echoes" . . . make sure you are wearing your best smile :lol:

Alex_UK
09-07-2011, 15:40
. . . make sure you are wearing your best smile :lol:

. . . and my best gum-shield for when she finds out I've spent more money on my hifi! :lol:

Macca
09-07-2011, 18:21
My favourite ever cart - and I still have one somewhere although heroic searches have failed to find it. Nice one, Alex:)

Alex_UK
09-07-2011, 19:01
Sounds promising Martin. :) Good luck in locating yours!

DSJR
09-07-2011, 21:58
I have ONE secret up my particular sleeve - ONE ONLY - and that's me Decca. After hours with Supexes, XLM's, V15's on the techie and Lab 80, I took my current fave record down and played it on the Thorens/Microscanner - bloody 'ell - ooo needs CD when records sound this good?????

Did I just say that? I must be more confused than I thought :scratch:

Alex_UK
09-07-2011, 22:07
I have ONE secret up my particular sleeve - ONE ONLY - and that's me Decca. After hours with Supexes, XLM's, V15's on the techie and Lab 80, I took my current fave record down and played it on the Thorens/Microscanner - bloody 'ell - ooo needs CD when records sound this good?????

I suspect you've been sniffing the EP80 again - you really should listen to nursey when she tells you to stop that! :)

Macca
09-07-2011, 23:22

You is seeing the light again after a long time in the wilderness:)

Macca
09-07-2011, 23:25
Sounds promising Martin. :) Good luck in locating yours!

I loved it I truly did and after 2 replacement styli the dealer said 'try a moving coil as an upgrade' so I got an Eroica - which was good but in a different way. Less of an all rounder. Anyway not that jealous as I have a Stanton on the way:eyebrows:

Slippershod
12-07-2011, 11:43
. . . and my best gum-shield ...

:) now, that brings back, sort of fond, school-boy rugby memories ... like the idea you've got a collection of the things ... :lol:

jandl100
12-07-2011, 16:52
So ... how's it going Alex? All OK? Waddya think of it? :)

DSJR
12-07-2011, 17:06
I loved it I truly did and after 2 replacement styli the dealer said 'try a moving coil as an upgrade' so I got an Eroica - which was good but in a different way. Less of an all rounder. Anyway not that jealous as I have a Stanton on the way:eyebrows:

The Eroica is a microphonic disaster of a cartridge IMO. Try a Sumiko Blue Point - any one will do, skeletal or not - tons better :)

Alex_UK
12-07-2011, 17:32
So ... how's it going Alex? All OK? Waddya think of it? :)

All installed and fine and dandy - I'll put some thoughts up later as Avatar is running me ragged at the moment!

Alex_UK
12-07-2011, 20:36
Brief "first impressions" here, to tie it in with my other recent turntable antics: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showpost.php?p=233609&postcount=156