PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Glasgow

Gazjam
15-10-2008, 13:06
Hi all.

Came across this forum by accident yesterday!
Looking good. like the "feel" of it....

I'm usually wasting too much time on the web on the 'Wam and sometimes even the WTF forums.

I've just discovered the joys of Dacs and Squeezeboxes so my CD Player sits dormant.

So,
Good luck to all the Mods with the new forum, looking forward to contributing.

G.

Marco
15-10-2008, 13:34
Hi Gazjam,

A very warm welcome to AOS, and thanks for your kind comments :)

Where in Glasgow are you? I used to live in Thornliebank, Crookston, and Paisley.

So what system are you running? We wanna see some pics! Tell us about your DAC and Squeezebox.

Marco.

P.S Do we call you 'Gazza' or do you have a real name? ;)

StanleyB
15-10-2008, 17:22
Gazz is an old mate who started a thread on the Wam about my DAC. It ran for more than 30 pages, and at some stage resulted in me getting banned from that tent. He was also the first person to comment on the TC-7510 connected to the SB3.

Gazjam
15-10-2008, 17:48
Hey Marco,

I'm about 10 miles along the M8 from Glasgow City, and I work in Paisley.
I'm Gary by the way.

I put my System in my sig but it aint showing up for some reason...hmnn.... *EDIT: Oops - there it is! *

Bit of a budget/mid-fi system here....

Cambridge Audio 640A Amp / 640C v2 CD Player
Acoustic Energy AE109 Speakers (sublime)
Tacima mains conditioner (big improvement!)
Bi-wire Anti-cables/Gotham 4mm to my 109s

Uhm.....what else.

Squeezebox 3 directly into Stan's Mark6/3 Dac

The SB3/Dac combo leaves the 640C waay behind, I havent played a CD since I got my squeezebox up and running.
I'm very happy with my system and dont feel the need to make any real changes to it. Lucky me!

Pain in the ass though ripping about 800 CD's though!

That reminds me...I better back my FLAC files up somewhere!

I went through a phase of tweaking anything I can think of, the usual - squash balls, granite chopping boards etc, and a lot of that became redundant once the Squeezebox came in to my system.
But I like to discuss system tweaks etc and will get stuck in to those kind of discussions!

Stan,
thanks for the mention...for the record I feel you got the bad end of the stick on that forum.....never mind.
This is a good place to be!

Marco
15-10-2008, 18:09
Excellent stuff, mate. I know Motherwell pretty well and also Wishaw.

We're all guilty of tweaking this and that at some point in our hi-fi adventures - it's all part of the fun. However, on here our tweakery tends to involve messing about with turntables and valves, or the intricacies of computer audio; in short things which actually make real differences.

Anyway, get stuck in and have fun. Your views on any subject are most welcome :)

Marco.

StanleyB
15-10-2008, 18:33
The worst tweak I ever tried was Durex:(.

Gazjam
15-10-2008, 20:38
Stan,
Should have used some of THIS:

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=LPGZBEAROIL&Category_Code=PE