PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Moments

webby
08-07-2011, 18:33
I read a thread on another forum which was itself taken from an idea on the Mojo forum. It basically asks you to come up with your favourite moments of music, however small, smaller the better in fact, this isn't about whole songs or albums. Moments that move you, wow you, give you goosebumps, make you smile, make you laugh, or just plain excite you.

I'll start with a few:

The opening chords of Don't Dream It's Over by Crowded House

The drums and bass at the beginning of My Sharona by The Knack

The first three notes of A-ha's The Sun Always Shines On TV and the section between 3:50 and 4:20

The way Tori Amos sings "where to go" at 2:06 of China and the subsequent swell of the chorus. Beautiful.

The first time I heard Chameleon Day by Talk Talk blew me away. I must've been 18 or 19 and I'd heard Life's What You Make It and Give It Up on Top of the Pops and picked up The Colour Of Spring on CD. Chameleon Day is a bit different to those 2 songs to say the least. It's pretty jazzy. Full of subtle nuances and breathy vocals and hushed brass.

The vocals are barely decipherable at the beginning and then at 1:45 Mark Hollis changes gear to sing "breathe on me...." and again at 2:05 for "killing time....". Well, I had the lights off, lying on my bed, head between the speakers; I jumped outta my skin!

It's a masterpiece of sparsity. Also, the way that Time It's Time follows it is pretty awesome too! To me it feels like Chameleon Day is the intro to Time It's Time. The rest of the album is great too.

Lastly, I know I said no songs but the whole of Tears For Fears' Sowing The Seeds Of Love is crammed with awesomeness. It was written as a Beatles pastiche and for me, it's a fitting tribute. I remember when it came out Jonathan King slated it in The Sun for being unoriginal and cheesy (I don't remember his exact words). About a week later, he back tracked, apologised and admitted it was brilliant. Fair play. For me, it's a work of genius. The lyrics, the arrangement and the production are all fantastic. Some might say it's over produced, but I'd say that's being incredibly picky. It's just a glorious, glorious song.

So, over to you.....

John
08-07-2011, 18:50
Nice idea
Here are some of mine
The start of Lover you should of come over when the guitars bass and then vocals come in
The guitar solo by Ernie Isley in Summer Breeze
Elia making mistakes in Mack the Knife and still carrying it off from Ella in Berlin
When the guitar comes in on Take The Time by Dream Theater
Jeff Beck Where were you the last few notes from Performing this week and that fact he nailed it

Alex_UK
08-07-2011, 19:39
Well this isn't exactly what you're after, but sort of... :) When I was first with my now wife, we got talking about music, and she mentioned the first record she ever remembered, which her teenage auntie used to play on endless repeat all she could remember was a "howh" sound (not easy to type...)

Anyway, I immediately went to my 7" singles collection, and put a record on. She was absolutely astounded that I knew exactly what she was talking about!

So, I give you the "howh" sound: ;) Classic!

YROAOQNftJM

The Grand Wazoo
08-07-2011, 23:58
Without trying to think too hard about it, two in particular stand out for me right now:

First - on the album Joe Jackson - 'Live', during the track 'A Slow Song', there's a moment where the song builds towards a climax that's almost unbearable to listen to.

I can't find it on You Tube, but you can dial it up on Spotify:
http://open.spotify.com/track/2KdSkiyahFhOHwl9kFMooY

In the liner notes to the album, our Joey tells the story of why this particular performance was so memorable. The band was building and building the song up towards this climax and as they were approaching the vital release, he was prolonging the moment, making the audience think it was over, till it became so unbearable to a particular girl in the audience that she burst into tears. The drama starts just after the sax solo at about 5' 45" and goes on till 6' 48".

The second of my 'moments' of the moment would be the crash during Khachaturian's Spartacus (best known, I suppose as the theme from The Onedin Line, where pictures perfectly matched music). It's fun to sit in an auditorium when this piece is being played and watch the audience, then try to guess which is the person who's never heard it & will jump the furthest out of their seat when 'that moment' arrives!
If you've got no patience for the whole thing, then turn it right up & listen from about 5' 50" & prepare to jump at 6' 37"!!
zqjjsPnlxrY

s70rmp
09-07-2011, 09:32
The start of "Thunder Road" by Bruce Springsteen

griffo104
09-07-2011, 14:43
The first lyrics sung by Johnny Cash on Hurt. The perfect voice for ther perfect song - always gets me emotional hearing it.

The snare drum rom the 2nd movement from Shostakovich's 10th symphony. the whole movement is stunning and one of the reasons for getting in to classical music but that snare has such an impact - even more so since hearing the symphony live.

The first chords of London Calling.

The spoken words from a a Love supreme, just seems to be so fitting.

The bass at start from Fugazi's Waiting Room.

The introduction for Eva Cassidy's Live at Blues Alley. The compere introduces her and your hear that applause knowing it's a small smokey club and then her pure crystal voice breaks out and I'min heaven for the next 50 odd minutes.

Alex_UK
09-07-2011, 16:58
The bit when it all kicks off with the drums from "In the Air Tonight" by Phil Collins...

:sofa:

webby
09-07-2011, 18:07
The bit when it all kicks off with the drums from "In the Air Tonight" by Phil Collins...

Oh was that Phil Collins? I thought it was a Gorilla!

Macca
09-07-2011, 18:31
The bit towards the end of Isaac Haye's version of 'By The time I Get To Phoenix' where the horns blast out that riff.:eek:

Neil McCauley
09-07-2011, 19:01
Opening riff at the beginning of the Stones 'Can't You Hear Me Knocking". In fact the totally dirty guitars all the way through. The sax. The whole thing. Really, were they ever more inventive and tighter than this?

Guitar tone on Mountain's 'Mississippi Queen'

Mr E's breathtaking bass line in The Who's 'The Real Me.'

The driving bass on the Jap vinyl version of The Beatles 'Day Tripper"

Grace Slick's incomparably erotic voice on the live version of '3/5ths of a mile in 10 seconds'

The desperation and fathomless despair of Antonio Salieri in both the soundtrack and the stage play of Amadeus when he knows he’ll never equal the master. Heartrending.

Macca
09-07-2011, 23:28

Do you recall the Miami Vice episode where they used that. One of the early one's?

Alex_UK
10-07-2011, 08:32
Oh was that Phil Collins? I thought it was a Gorilla!

:lolsign: :lolsign: :lolsign: :lolsign: :lolsign:

Alex_UK
10-07-2011, 08:36
Do you recall the Miami Vice episode where they used that. One of the early one's?

Can't say I do specifically, Martin. There was some good music on that show.

Macca
10-07-2011, 09:00
Can't say I do specifically, Martin. There was some good music on that show.

Ah I sorta thought you might be a big MV fan, don't know why. That was another show that got a lot better as it went on

webby
10-07-2011, 11:42
I remember Mr. Collins appearing in an episode. One of his lines was something like "do you take me for some kind of wanker?". It was quite news worthy at the time.

Macca
10-07-2011, 11:50
I remember Mr. Collins appearing in an episode. One of his lines was something like "do you take me for some kind of wanker?". It was quite news worthy at the time.

Now you mention it I recall that also - he played a coke dealer I think. Must get the DVDs I think...

Back on topic:

Earth Wind & Fire - After the Love is Gone - the bit where it goes into the sax solo and the bit where they go up an octave and repeat the chorus - what a wonderfully crafted and constructed tune:)

jimdgoulding
20-07-2011, 17:33
Virtually all the nights I spent in San Francisco jazz clubs The Jazz Workshop and Both/And in the 60's.

shane
20-07-2011, 17:50
The first two chords of Led Zep one. Talk about a declaration of intent!

s70rmp
20-07-2011, 20:25
Ah I sorta thought you might be a big MV fan, don't know why. That was another show that got a lot better as it went on

Phil The Shill episode !

also had Emo Phillips in it !