PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations Please,

ronjakcs65
08-07-2011, 16:31
HI ALL.
Her indoor`s said i can have a new amplifier as my nad c370 died on me a month after having it repaired,crap amp.Anyway iv`e narrowed the
choise down to three amps,No one cambridge Azure 650A. No two yamaha
AS500.And a Harman Kardon HK 980.can anyone help me choose the best one please i would be very grateful,thank`s in anticipation.

cheer`s Ron

DSJR
08-07-2011, 19:54
The HK990 is well thought of I believe, but I know nothing of the 980. The CA840 was always well thought of, but for right or wrong, some here find it too "safe" sounding.

If you liked the NAD, why not a new one?

You know, if it was me and thinking today, I'd SERIOUSLY look at a Rega Brio 3. Large power supply, UK made with up to date components, remote control, with proper future service backup and a sound quality of a very high standard apparently.

Effem
08-07-2011, 20:06
I don't know why but the name "Yamaha" seems to slip under the radar, doubly sp when you consider all their kit is superbly built and specced.

I haven't heard the CA 640a but the 840a is a very nice amp indeed. Not as refined as some but it can kick out a lot of power and be musical.

I haven't heard the latest crop of HK amps but earlier incarnations were fantastic sounding and rather underrated. Well built too.

My favourite integrated amp at affordable prices is the Marantz PM7200. Switchable into pure Class A mode for that elusive sweet sound. I sold mine a couple of years ago and like all good things it was only missed when it was gone. I didn't realised what a dumb idea it was to sell it until at a bakeoff not that long ago when one chap apologised for bringing his PM7200 along because he felt it was overshadowed by far more expensive kit. Jaws dropped when we plugged it in and a very big grin on the owner's face :)

aquapiranha
08-07-2011, 21:00
Another vote for classic marantz, this time the PM 66 Ki Sig. I heard this amp quite a bit after it's launch and have to say that if I was in the market for a good amp to use in a second system it would be this one.

Ali Tait
08-07-2011, 21:14
Buy one of these-

http://www.templeaudio.net/bantamgold.html

Better than any of those three you have shortlisted IMHO.

Ali Tait
08-07-2011, 21:14
Or buy the monoblocks if your budget will cover it.

worthingpagan
10-07-2011, 19:31
HI ALL.
Her indoor`s said i can have a new amplifier as my nad c370 died on me a month after having it repaired,crap amp.Anyway iv`e narrowed the
choise down to three amps,No one cambridge Azure 650A. No two yamaha
AS500.And a Harman Kardon HK 980.can anyone help me choose the best one please i would be very grateful,thank`s in anticipation.

cheer`s Ron

Hi Ron

I own a Yamaha A S500, and, like many other people here, have owned many many more besides. IMHO the Yamaha is streets ahead of ANY of the opposition, i think it's probably the best sounding amp I've ever heard under a £1000. For @£300 this model will turn out to be a legend, you just HAVE to hear it to believe it. ;)

Werner Berghofer
10-07-2011, 19:47
Frank,

I don't know why but the name "Yamaha" seems to slip under the radar, doubly sp when you consider all their kit is superbly built and specced

I fully agree. Have been a fan of Yamaha for more than 30 years, and still enjoy my AX-592 integrated amplifier.

Werner.

ronjakcs65
15-07-2011, 12:20
HI ALL.
Thank`s for the advice everyone,iv`e decided on the yamaha AS500
as recommended by Frank and Mark.It`s one of the best amp`s iv`e heard for the price,it`s dynamic,musical,powerful and sweet top end not at all bright.Can`t wait untill it`s run in properly,cheer`s

Ron

Effem
15-07-2011, 14:24
:thumbsup:

Enjoy