PDA

View Full Version : New arrivals

steveinfrance
06-07-2011, 17:23
My two (for £220 the pair) SL1210 MK2's have just arrived after a lot of pratting about by DHL who lost them (but,to be fair, took enormous trouble to sort things out).
Both arrived intact with four headshells and more Stanton 500 V3's than I know what to do with.
Dusted one of the decks down, threw on an old DG Emperer Concerto and was mesmerised. I'd stopped listening to orchestral music on CD's apart from chamber music because massed fiddles just don't work. I'd even begun to worry about my Quad ESL 2805s because the sound was so bad but with a (probably very badly setup) Disco cartridge everything changed. The orchestra moved several paces BEHIND the speakers and the fiddlles - well they're made out of wood not baking foil.
It is a solid old beast and no arguing. I used to have a Linn LP12/SME 3009 S2 combo which I thought was crap and finished my analogue days. This thing is in a different league. OK the feet need to go in the dustbin but I've never heard such totally confident pitch from a turntable and I love the arm, the lickle light for the stylus, the nicely damped lowering thingy and everything about it.
Should I get an elliptical stylus for the V3 (seems to have some good write-ups) or an Ortofon Red?
You will gather I'm in love! Long may it last.

Tarzan
06-07-2011, 18:20
Steve, l had the Stanton 500V3 when l got my first Techie, and it is a fun and musical cartridge, then after a month it died( due to it being DJed to death), l now use the 520V3 and again l love this cart (£18)!!!!, l too have thought about getting better styluses, but there is majic in them DJ carts, have fun!:):cool:

Macca
07-07-2011, 18:39
. OK the feet need to go in the dustbin but I've never heard such totally confident pitch from a turntable and I love the arm, the lickle light for the stylus, the nicely damped lowering thingy and everything about it.

The cuing light is fantastic. My favourite bit!

Tempted to try one of these Stantons...

EDIT now ordered!

steveinfrance
08-07-2011, 08:17
I'm going to spend the weekend setting up the V3 properly and have a good listen.
Has anyone tried the D71EE (elliptical) stylus for this cart? $15 from the US, £Stupid from the UK.
One thing that did make a big difference was to change the coax and phono plugs for low loss cable and decent gold plated plugs. You have to take the base off (several hundred screws!). Beware - there are four screws hidden under the feet.

I didn't rewire the arm - I don't believe in alchemy or the properties of copper being altered by dipping in liquid nitrogen and there is no diffference between OFC and normal copper wire.
Useful link if you do lose a wire in the arm
http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=148792 Interesting the guy who posted it is from Minitonka - not something I'd care to advertise.
I believe the wire from mouse cables is good to use (although, of course, since it has had digital signals running along it these must be drained by hanging it vertically over an open jat of honey for 24 hours)