PDA

View Full Version : Last classical concert you went to

MartinT
05-07-2011, 20:21
Romeo and Juliet performed by The Russian State Ballet & Orchestra of Siberia at the Anvil, Basingstoke. I'm not a great ballet enthusiast but I did enjoy the costumes and fabulous dancing. For me, though, the music of Prokofiev is wonderful and I revelled in the sound of the small-ish orchestra playing superbly and with some incredible crescendi - I wish I had my SPL meter to measure it but they must have gone well over 100dB on a few occasions. A great night out and good to see provincial touring companies like this visit little old Basingstoke.

MartinT
05-07-2011, 20:27
Coming soon: I have tickets for Saint-Saens Symphony No. 3 at the Proms on 9 August and Martha Argerich playing a piano concerto TBD on 24 March 2012 at the Barbican, with Temirkanov and the St Petersburg Philharmonic, no less. Very excited about this one.

BTH K10A
05-07-2011, 22:07
Coming soon: I have tickets for Saint-Saens Symphony No. 3 at the Proms on 9 August and Martha Argerich playing a piano concerto TBD on 24 March 2012 at the Barbican, with Temirkanov and the St Petersburg Philharmonic, no less. Very excited about this one.

Very nice, Martha Argerich is one of my favorite pianists. :)

I'm hoping to see Mitsuko Uchida at the Barbican later in the year. Again a wonderful pianist.

MartinT
10-08-2011, 08:11
The BBC Welsh SO were absolutely peerless last night, with superb timing, a great brass section (so important with this symphony) and excellent pace and emphasis from the French conductor Francoise-Xavier Roth. In fact, I could find no fault with them and they were easily a match for any of the big three London orchestras.

The less said about the obligatory new composition, the better. Why is it that so many composers insist on producing this atonal and dissonant nonsense?

The Albert Hall's organ was built for the Saint-Saens, and yet Thomas Trotter, the organist, was careful to set the instrument at a level where the orchestra were not overwhelmed. Again, the playing was superb and the overall sound sumptuous and thrilling. Of the three times I've heard this symphony live, this was easily the best played and interpreted. I thoroughly enjoyed the concert.

julesd68
14-11-2011, 19:42
I didn't know about the Argerich concert and have just booked!

Shame I came across it so late as only tickets left are very pricey.

I am so keen to see her before she retires.

She cancelled her Festival Hall concert this year that I had booked for, so let's hope she doesn't dissapoint again ...

MartinT
14-11-2011, 20:15
Don't say that, I am so looking forward to finally seeing her live. I don't even know which concerto she'll be performing yet (but I'm secretly hoping for the Grieg or Rach's 3rd).

julesd68
14-11-2011, 20:23
Sorry Martin, but forewarned is forearmed - she does have a reputation for pulling out at the last moment, if you'll forgive the expression! :lol:

I was due to see the Schumann which I would still like to hear. As long as it isn't Beethoven or Mozart I will be happy. Grieg would be wonderful & Rach would of course be stellar ...

morris_minor
27-11-2011, 13:36
I commented on my last concert in my "welcome post (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showpost.php?p=267457&postcount=12)", when the lights went out during an LSO concert. Just like the band on the Titanic, they kept on playing in the dark :eek: There's a link to a nice blog post by the LSO's flute player in my post . . .

Next up is the State Ballet from Siberia - which is where this thread started. Let's hope the G-Live venue in Guildford have stocked up on 50p pieces for the meter.
:lolsign:

JJack
30-11-2011, 18:53
Saw Joshua Bell at Carnegie Hall in NYC a couple weeks ago. A great talent, but a VERY big house for chamber music.

Next up is the London Phil next week, coming to my doorstep near Detroit, with Janine Jensen playing Mozart 5, plus "the obligatory new composition" as someone noted herein.

MartinT
01-12-2011, 07:02
plus "the obligatory new composition" as someone noted herein.

It's the blight of the Proms. I've heard many new compositions over the years but few have been memorable.

julesd68
11-12-2011, 21:40
Sublime concert this afternoon at the Royal Festival Hall and fantastic to see the hall so full.

Philharmonia under Ashkenazy playing a programme of Dukas / Ravel / Falla and Debussy.

Most memorable concert I have been to in a while - if you get a chance to see pianist Jean-Efflam Bavouzet, don't hesitate; he was incandescent today!

MartinT
11-12-2011, 22:20
if you get a chance to see pianist Jean-Efflam Bavouzet

Never heard of him but I shall look him up, thanks.

julesd68
12-12-2011, 09:35
Never heard of him but I shall look him up, thanks.

I hadn't heard of him either Martin, but his Falla was infalla-ble - boom boom! :lol:

royzak
23-12-2011, 19:27
Enjoyed Veronique Gens at the Wigmore hall recently,she is ageing well.beautiful concert of French song,with American pianist Susan Manoff.

julesd68
08-01-2012, 01:02
I went to see the Purcell Singers perform at St Martin in the Fields last night. Main reason I went was to hear Allegri's "Miserere" which was given a somewhat less than perfect performance sadly - I got the impression that the choir was slightly intimidated by the stature of the work. Anyway, the rest of the concert was much more confidently performed thankfully ...

MartinT
08-01-2012, 10:28
That's a shame. I have yet to hear the Miserere live, but I do keep a lookout for it.

julesd68
08-01-2012, 16:32
For me it's the greatest piece of choral music ever written - I was lucky enough to sing it as a chorister 35 years ago!

I'm going to look out for a performance by the Tallis Scholars or the Sixteen and hopefully hear it close to the perfection it requires ...

MartinT
08-01-2012, 19:56
For me it's the greatest piece of choral music ever written

Can't argue with you there, although I would tentatively offer Vivaldi's Gloria, Mozart's Requiem, Mahler's 8th, Beethoven's 9th and Ligeti's Requiem for consideration.

julesd68
09-01-2012, 17:48
Can't argue with you there, although I would tentatively offer Vivaldi's Gloria, Mozart's Requiem, Mahler's 8th, Beethoven's 9th and Ligeti's Requiem for consideration.

Never heard the Vivaldi or the Ligeti so will check them out - my favourite requiem must be the Faure - another that I have very happy memories of singing in the distant past ...

MartinT
09-01-2012, 19:39
If you like the Faure, do listen to the Durufle. Heart-stoppingly beautiful (he was Faure's pupil).

julesd68
09-01-2012, 20:39
That is one of the best recommendations I have had in a long time - checked out the Kyrie on YouTube and absolutely love it!

Will be buying the Argo / St John's Cambridge version; it's old-school, just the way I like it - organ only, no orchestra and boy's voices ...

cheers.

MartinT
09-01-2012, 21:14
Will be buying the Argo / St John's Cambridge version; it's old-school, just the way I like it - organ only, no orchestra and boy's voices

That's the one to have, Julian. Stunning performance and sound :)
Watch out for the heavy traffic rumble in some quiet passages, though.

morris_minor
10-01-2012, 08:19
Watch out for the heavy traffic rumble in some quiet passages, though.
Traffic noise afflicted quite a few Cambridge choral recordings. Kings' RVW Mass in g Minor/EMI has quite prominent noise evident in some sections. Just adds to the atmosphere . . . :)

royzak
13-01-2012, 09:40
Enjoyable and varied concert at the Wigmore last week.The London Conchord Ensemble playing works by Poulenc,Mozart and Beethoven.
The Mozart a beautiful piece I did not know,his last chamber work,the Adagio and Rondo K617 originally scored for wind,strings and glass harmonica a short lived instrument invented by Benjamin Franklin now as here replaced by piano.

julesd68
19-01-2012, 17:57
Don't say that, I am so looking forward to finally seeing her live. I don't even know which concerto she'll be performing yet (but I'm secretly hoping for the Grieg or Rach's 3rd).

If you hadn't noticed Argerich is going to play the Ravel - I'm slightly dissapointed it isn't going to be something Slavonic in flavour and I did see an excellent performance of the Ravel at the end of last year but never mind!

MartinT
19-01-2012, 18:03
If you hadn't noticed Argerich is going to play the Ravel

Oh well, that's a shame. Not one of my faves but I have time to get better acquainted with it. I've just checked and I have a copy played by Paul Paray and the Orchestre National Paris :scratch:

Ah, I see that I also have a more promising recording by Michelangeli and the Philharmonia :)

julesd68
19-01-2012, 20:52
Michelangeli is meant to be the classic recording ...

Chops
21-01-2012, 12:47
Went last night with my wife. Really interesting and varied set performed by Northern Symphonia, Nicholas McGegan conducting and Paul Lewis on piano.

Hayden Symphony no.85 'La Reine'
Britten Variations on a Theme of Frank Bridge
Bartok Rumanian Folk Dances
Piano Concerto no.5 'Emperor'

We're not familiar with 1-3 but we both enjoyed them in this context. May have heard them in passing on the radio but they're not in my collection. We're both big fans of the Beethoven and I have a couple of performances; a classic recording of Emil Gilels/Leopold Ludwid/Philharmonia Orchestra on Decca and Artur Pizarro/Mackerras/Scottish Chamber Orchestra on Linn.

I'm going to give my own personal opinion of these pieces. Of course, others will not agree and quite rightly so, but please, only gentle criticism if you will :). Some more caveats: I do not go to a lot of classical concerts (1-2 times a year) and I do not consider myself a musical expert in any way (I can't play an instrument unless you count chopsticks with my knuckles on the piano :lol:). I just listen and form my own opinions.

The Hayden was nice, a good starter, but not a 'great' piece IMHO (I'm sure will disagree, maybe even incensed) - I feel you often know what you're going to get from Hayden and this piece hasn't stuck in my memory. I thought NS played it very well. Mr McGegan was very animated, as he was all the way through.

The Britten was very entertaining, for me more about the texture and dynamics than the harmony (although there were some very nice bits of dotted around), more soundbites than a coherent whole (but maybe that's what was intended). I felt NS could have been just a little tighter in places (the plucked strings were a little awry), but that's only a small criticism.

The Bartok was quite brief and highly entertaining. Nice harmonies. I don't own any Bartok - I guess my main tastes lie elsewhere - but from this experience I wouldn't shy away from listening to more.

The Beethoven was very well performed. I was particularly impressed with Paul Lewis on the piano. However, for me he had to live up to the Emil Gilels performance (see above) and didn't quite match it. Not quite the same level of emotion on the slow movement, just a little too rushed in places for me - I guess I prefer it to be played at a slightly slower pace. Technically though, he seemed to be spot on.

Finally, my main (and continuing) gripe is with the acoustics in Hall 1. Please note I was sitting about 40 feet back from the stage (level 1, row Q) and I know I haven't got 'golden ears'. I find the acoustics in there a bit dead as if a little of the higher registers have been lost/removed. From upper mids down there was some lovely realism coming through (as you would expect in a live performance!), but the violin strings in particular sounded at times like MP3 instead of hi-rez FLAC. Maybe it was because I was not next to the stage. Maybe I'm just too used to the balance I hear from recorded music on my system in my room (surely it must be true to real life http://theartofsound.net/forum/../images/smilies/smile.gif). This isn't a big issue, but it is apparent to me. Thoughts anyone?

Anyway, we both really enjoyed the evening and would definitely going again to this kind of set.

Cheers...Chris

julesd68
21-01-2012, 19:48
Chris - if you fancy giving some more Bartok a try, I can recommend the Violin Concerto No 2. Saw a fantastic performance of this by Christian Tetzlaff & Essa-Pekka Salonen at the Royal Festival Hall last year ...

royzak
23-01-2012, 21:24
The Wigmore Hall again,I am lucky I only live five minutes away so it has become a regular venue,mainly for the ten pounds lunchtime concerts,this was an evening one.
The Nash Ensemble playing Beethoven Quintet Op 16 and the Schubert Octet D803 both superb.
The main event was Alice Coote singing Mahler's Ruckert Lieder in a version for small band by David Mathews,first three songs good then she hit Um Mitternacht absolutely beautiful,the last song the same,she seemed unsure at first I've heard her sing Schubert Lieder no problem,at least she lifted the roof at the end.

julesd68
21-02-2012, 12:52
Travelled North to Manchester on Friday for my first visit to the Bridgewater Hall with the BBC Phil and what a memorable night it turned out to be.

The programme was tailor-made to my taste in music -

Vaughan-Williams - Fantasia on a theme ...
Debussy - Fantaisie for piano and orchestra
Debussy - Prelude a l'apres midi d'un faune
Scriabin - La Poeme de l'extase

It was the first time I have been able to afford really good seats at such a concert - six rows back from the front is a very different experience to the circle at the Festival Hall. It was so wonderful to be immersed in the music in this way - instead of getting a distant wall of sound, I was able to pick out and follow individual instruments in detail. It was a bit like upgrading one's hi-fi where you get a greater insight into the music! Very satisfying. The acoustics at this hall are said to be superb and I cannot argue with this.

It was also the first time I have heard the V-W live and it proved to be the treat I hoped it would. It's incredibly moving. There was a small string section positioned in the circle behind the orchestra that was used as an "echo" at certain points. I was't expecting it and must say it worked superbly. The music was performed with power and poignancy. The hairs on the back of my neck got a good work-out.

The pianist for the Debussy was Kathryn Stott. She arrived on stage wearing a sequinned top that looked like it cost 4.99 at Primark but we soon forgot about that once she applied herself to the Debussy. She is a very focussed and powerful player - you can see the determination all over her face! A very exciting performance and I will look forward to seeing her again sometime.

The next piece of Debussy I am very familiar with but it didn't fail to delight with its delicate melodies - I hope I never tire of hearing it.

And then to the immortal Scriabin. This is a vinyl favourite of mine, to be played very loud when the neighbours are out! First time live for me, and was so excited to hear it. My god the orchestra raised the roof with a fanatical committment - it builds and builds to a marvellously deafening climax, by which point I had definitely reached spiritual ecstasy. If you ever get a chance to see hear this live I would urge you to grab the chance - it is entirely unique.

Finally I must say that I really wasn't expecting the BBC Phil under Yan Pascal Tortelier to be quite this good. I would have no hesitation in recommending them to you. It is easy to sometimes think that London gives you the best of everything but this isn't always the case of course. I am already planning a return visit to check out the Halle under Sir Mark Elder. :)

MartinT
29-02-2012, 10:59
Damn and blast :(

We are writing to you regarding the concert with the St Petersburg Philharmonic on Saturday 24 March.

Martha Argerich has withdrawn from this concert. We are grateful to Maxim Vengerov who will perform Prokofiev's first violin concerto. The full programme is now as follows:

Prokofiev Violin Concerto No 1

*Interval*

Shostakovich Symphony No 7 Leningrad

julesd68
29-02-2012, 14:35
This has just made a very bad day for me even worse. She seems to pull out of more concerts than she actually plays ...

MartinT
29-02-2012, 15:16
I'm very disappointed as my chances of ever seeing her live are dwindling.

On the upside, we're getting Maxim Vengerov playing the Prokofiev Violin Concerto No.1 instead.

julesd68
29-02-2012, 18:35
Yes, I have heard Vengerov is quite useful with a violin ...

I don't have a single Prokofiev record in my collection and must confess to not knowing the Violin Concerto at all. Still, will keep an open mind!

At the other end of the age spectrum of pianists, I am looking forward to a solo performance by Yuja Wang in May - she's meant to be one of the very best young prospects around.

MartinT
25-03-2012, 09:44
Having absorbed the disappointment of Martha Argerich's non-appearance due to illness, we had Maxim Vengerov play the Prokofiev. This technically very challenging work was played magnificently by him, although I came away more impressed by his playing than by the concerto which I won't be rushing out to buy. Not a beautiful work. He gave us an encore of the Bach Sarabande, to more standing ovations.

The Shostakovich was much more my thing and gave the St Petersburg symphony the chance to really show their mettle. This was a superb performance, very Russian and with the Barbican sounding unusually fine in the climaxes. Temirkanov was his usual controlling self (I remember him when he conducted the RPO, barely raising a smile at any time) and the orchestra responded with due worshipfulness. They also gave us an encore of Nimrod from Elgar's Enigma Variations. Russians playing English sounded pretty superb, too. A good evening all round.

julesd68
25-03-2012, 12:41
:exactly:

Spot-on review Martin!

I think the orchestra for the Shosta must have been one of the biggest I have ever seen! There wasn't a square inch of space left on the stage. Hearing them all at full throttle was particularly thrilling I found. Sensational playing and total committment to the maestro. Great to see them getting the extended applause that they deserved

Would love to hear Vengerov playing the Sibelius - I would have thought it would be tailor-made for his style ...

MartinT
25-03-2012, 12:48
I'd like to hear Vengerov play the Bruch Concerto or Glass' Concerto No. 1.

julesd68
13-04-2012, 11:51
Great performance of Bruckner 6 at the Barbican last night with LSO - gripped from start to finish ...

Also heard the Schumann piano concerto (which Argerich had been due to perform last year) which although more than competently played didn't exactly set the packed audience on fire ...

julesd68
02-05-2012, 10:07
I had been looking forward to seeing Yuja Wang perform at the Southbank's Queen Elizabeth Hall, seen by many as some kind of messiah of the pianoforte - :youtheman:

'Simply the most important pianist to appear in recent years, period' (The Detroit News).

The experience took me back to 1984 when I went to the Manchester Apollo as a spotty teenager to watch the loudest band in the world - Manowar. Well last night I didn't quite need to put my head under my seat now and again for some aural relief, but I can definitely say that I must now have heard the loudest pianist in the world - Yuja Wang. Nobody hits those keys harder. It is akin to being repeatedly smashed over the skull with a baseball bat. The performance was all crashing dynamics and razor-sharp rhythms, as she hurtled up and down the keyboard at warp speed, in a hazy blur. But the quiet bits were just that - quiet. Where was the lyricism, emotion, and connection? Where in fact was the music? After a very short time I didn't even find the technical pyrotechnics superficially impressive. It's showy, but ultimately soulless, which is a sad way to treat the likes of the immortal Rachmaninov and Scriabin. The sold-out audience seemed to enjoy it as they managed to get her back out for an encore, but I really couldn't muster anything more than polite applause.

The only moment that raised a smile for me was the interval costume change, from one slightly lurid dress into another!! It wasn't quite like Madonna but was certainly a first for me ...

Forgive me if I make a somewhat crass hi-fi analogy, but if the concert had been sponsored by a hi-fi brand, it would have been Naim. I'm more of an Ashkenazy and Quad kind of guy. I'll get my pipe and slippers ...

MartinT
02-05-2012, 10:35
if the concert had been sponsored by a hi-fi brand, it would have been Naim.

Or even, Bose? Ah well, the occasional disappointing concert does keep things real, but with the price of tickets these days and the effort required to get there, it's still annoying.

MartinT
12-05-2012, 08:56
Trying to get into the Proms ticket queue this morning - what a nightmare! Been refreshing the page for 1/2 hour and now no. 4967 in the queue :(

julesd68
12-05-2012, 09:50
Thanks so much for reminding me - had completely forgotten tickets on sale today! :doh:

Am now 4357 in queue ...

The one concert that I really want tickets for is the Berlin Phil, so fingers crossed. What about you?

MartinT
12-05-2012, 11:23
My queue number has reset somewhere along the line, so I'm using my lappy to write this now, leaving the desktop IE9 window open and left alone. Position 157 now.

I'm after Prom 5 (Zarathustra & Four Last Songs) and Prom 12 (Beethoven 5 & 6). I have a couple of fall-back ones to go for. Unfortunately, I can't go for the Rattle/BPO as I'll be away on holday that week :steam:

MartinT
12-05-2012, 11:38
Got the Prom 5 ok, no good tickets left for Prom 12 so went for Prom 73 (Beethoven Piano Concerto 4, Brucker 9) instead. I'm happy :)

julesd68
12-05-2012, 11:48
Well done Martin - I'm up to 242 ...

julesd68
12-05-2012, 12:10
Got all my tickets but could only get "restricted view" tickets for the Berlin Phil but at least I will be there !!

MartinT
12-05-2012, 12:29
Well done, Jules. You're not going to either of mine, are you? Could meet up for a drink.

julesd68
12-05-2012, 12:52
Martin - not sure our tastes coincide - I have booked for -

Chamber concert 4
Chamber concert 8
Prom 43
Prom 63

Maybe we should organise an AOS classical night out??
A concert followed by drinks with music and hi-fi fuelled chat? :cool:

Right, got to get off computer - spent the morning trying to get these tickets and am now in the dog-house ...

MartinT
12-05-2012, 13:27
Prom 43 looks nice but I didn't go for it. Would have loved to see Nicola Benedetti live (not only can she play, but she is rather gorgeous) but I couldn't make those dates.

An AoS classical night out sounds great. Which concert and where, though? I'll start a new thread for upcoming concerts and, if we have group interest, we'll organise a meeting & drink.

julesd68
12-05-2012, 13:54
Nicola Benedetti for me is better as eye-candy than a great violinist :eyebrows:
Saw her play the Brahms Double Concerto last year and found her playing a bit light-weight for my taste ...

I am happy to come up with some suggestions for an outing which then maybe people can "vote" for their favourite concert. I will start looking tonight. Venue wise London is normally the best bet, so somewhere like the Festival Hall, Barbican or Cadogan Hall.

MartinT
12-05-2012, 15:53
Given enough notice, I'm prepared to travel to Symphony Hall, Birmingham. I've started a thread for forthcoming classical concerts.

MartinT
12-07-2012, 07:07
Last Friday was a rather surprising and very worthwhile night. The RPO were in very fine form but it was two of the soloists who caused much conversation afterwards: Alison Balsom (trumpet) and Nicola Benedetti (violin). The programme was varied and not all successful: I couldn't warm to the Saint-Saens Cello Concerto despite my loving his third symphony.

The two key pieces were the Haydn Trumpet Concerto and the Bruch Violin Concerto, both lovely melodic pieces which show off their instrument without fireworks. Balsom walked onto the stage looking utterly compelling, wearing a figure-hugging ivory dress that left absolutely nothing to the imagination! She then proceeded to knock our socks off with her trumpet playing which was so controlled and beautiful, even in the demanding quiet sections.

Then, blow me if Benedetti doesn't walk on stage wearing another figure-hugging dress, looking drop-dead gorgeous, and proceeded to play the Bruch like a bastard! I have to take issue here with comments that her fiddle playing is less than stellar; I've seen many a great violin soloist to compare with and I think her playing and interpretation for me was faultless. The fact that I forgot how to speak while watching her is quite beside the point!

Alison Balsom
http://a3.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/58/f428a74b23efa24886f35149e6bd3362/l.jpg

Nicola Benedetti
http://www.jimjermynalpines.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/nicola_benedetti_photo_1.jpg

julesd68
12-07-2012, 08:55
I reckon they could have been playing Baa Baa Black Sheep and you would have been happy Martin!!

MartinT
12-07-2012, 09:57
I reckon they could have been playing Baa Baa Black Sheep and you would have been happy Martin!!

That'll do - when can I book it!

guyhayton
12-07-2012, 19:24
Not my last classical concert (I am a patron of the Liverpool Philharmonic, so I can never remember all of them in detail) but on the subject of "talented violinists", Simone Lamsma's rendition of Bruch Violin Concerto was a triumph earlier this year. The music wasn't bad either <wink>
http://www.musicweb-international.com/SandH/2009/Jul-Dec09/Simone_Lamsma_Dennis%20Ryan%20Kelly%20jr.jpg

The review that went with it is here: Liverpool Daily Post (http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-culture/liverpool-arts/2012/03/22/soloist-simone-lamsma-s-interpretation-of-bruch-s-first-violin-concerto-certainly-whipped-the-sunday-afternoon-audience-at-the-philharmonic-into-a-frenzy-99623-30585018/)

At the end of the Bruch, three of us stood up to give her a standing ovation (so to speak)

julesd68
13-07-2012, 13:30
Guy,

What are the acoustics like at the Liverpool Phil?

I should give it a go when visiting my mum in Manchester - went to the Bridgewater with her for the first time earlier this year and loved it ...

Marco
13-07-2012, 20:00
Then, blow me if Benedetti doesn't walk on stage wearing another figure-hugging dress, looking drop-dead gorgeous, and proceeded to play the Bruch like a bastard!

Nicola Benedetti
http://www.jimjermynalpines.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/nicola_benedetti_photo_1.jpg

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/6681/dtapthat.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/254/dtapthat.png/)

:eyebrows: :eyebrows:

Marco.

MartinT
13-07-2012, 20:11
I was more subtle than that, Marco :)

guyhayton
13-07-2012, 21:26
What are the acoustics like at the Liverpool Phil?

To be honest, I don't have a great frame of reference... that is my experience is pretty much solely the philharmonic. All I can say is that it sounds all right to me and I enjoy my attendance.

Sorry couldn't be more help.

julesd68
06-08-2012, 14:26
A very proud day for me today - took my seven year-old son to his first Prom concert. :)

We went to Cadogan Hall for a sublime chamber music concert of Debussy and Ravel, played by a young but supremely talented trio. I was worried my son wouldn't enjoy it, as it's mostly very introspective and wistful music but he told me he enjoyed it, so I am more than delighted.

MartinT
06-08-2012, 17:01
It's good to start them young :)

julesd68
15-08-2012, 11:26
Yesterday I attended Prom 43.

The only reason I booked was the chance to hear the young Benjamin Grosvenor on the pianoforte. He did not dissapoint, playing Saint-Saens 2. Not one of the "A" list concertos in my book but it did give the pianist a great opportunity to display his sublime technique. The current trend among young pianists (females especially!) is to bludgeon the music into submission and to hit the keys as hard as possible. Thankfully this was not the case, in fact, quite the opposite as Grosvenor showed an Ashkanazian empathy for the music with a languid and delicate touch to match. I cannot wait to hear him perform a more substantial concerto. I am sure he will be around for decades to come.

The concert opened with a piece of Delius that was new to me - "Paris. (Song of a Great City)". I was expecting to hear a work bristling with Gallic atmosphere and melodic invention but the piece never really got going for me and failed to deliver any really interesting themes. A shame, as I normally really enjoy Delius.

The concert finished on a great high with Charles Dutoit marshalling a thoroughly committed peformance of Tchaikovsky 5 by the Royal Phil, which garnered long and sustained applause from the satiated audience.

MartinT
15-08-2012, 17:46
Tchaikovsky's 5th rarely disappoints, wonderful music. Was it a split orchestra? I ask because my prized Chandos recording (Jansons, Oslo PO) has them split (as I believe Tchaikovsky required) and the effect is wonderful.

julesd68
15-08-2012, 17:59
Tchaikovsky's 5th rarely disappoints, wonderful music. Was it a split orchestra? I ask because my prized Chandos recording (Jansons, Oslo PO) has them split (as I believe Tchaikovsky required) and the effect is wonderful.

There was nothing unusual about the layout of the orchestra so I assume not - in what way should the orchestra be split Martin?

MartinT
15-08-2012, 20:25
In a split orchestra, the first violins remain on the left and the second violins go on the right, in front of the cellos (I think it's that way round). Tchaikovsky wrote the 5th so that the violins 'talk to each other' and the stereo effect is fantastic with such a layout.

I thoroughly recommend the Chandos recording of the 5th, with Maris Jansons and the Oslo Philharmonic, as a great example of this and a brilliant recording and performance anyway.

julesd68
15-08-2012, 21:14
Nice - probably one of those effects that comes across better in stereo than it does live ...

guyhayton
14-10-2012, 21:37
Today I went to the Classic FM Hall of Fame concert at the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic.
Pleasant Sunday afternoon in the vein of Now That's What I Call Classical Music!

Programme included,

Vaughan Williams The Lark Ascending
Holst Mars and Jupiter from The Planets
Elgar Nimrod and Finale from Enigma Variations
Mussorgsky Night on a bare mountain
Canteloube Songs of the Auvergne
Tchaikovsky, excerpts from the ballets
Grieg Morning from Peer Gynt

Jennifer Pike was the soloist for Lark Ascending and she was quite sublime. The tone was perfect - I find that its quite easy for the violin to sound quite scratchy+squeechy, particularly in the last section.

First time I had heard her play, but I can understand why as a twelve year old (ten years ago) she won the Young Musician of the Year.

As always happens with classical music, even at an event like this you come across something unfamiliar. For me it was the Canteloube today. Not knowing the repitoire I thought the soprano (Elin Manahan Thomas) did a good job and she was certainly easy on the eye, as well as the ear.

I need to track down a good recording of the Canteloube so I can become more familiar - so if anyone has any recommendation, I will welcome them.

All in all, a pleasant afternoon spent. And my first concert of this season.

julesd68
15-10-2012, 12:25
That looks like a good programme Guy - everything well chosen and very familiar, apart from the Canteloube as you say which I don't know at all.

Will look out for Jennifer Pike, not come across her before ...

MartinT
15-10-2012, 13:30
The Canteloube Songs of the Auverne are beautiful and pretty standard repertoire. There are many nice performances available, I happen to like the Kiri te Kanawa recording.

MartinT
17-10-2012, 05:34
So, the first meeting of the AoS classical outing convened last night and it was a tad smaller group than expected. All four of us (two members and two guests) enjoyed meeting and talking classical-bollo for a good 40 minutes at the bar before the concert started :) Julian, it was a pleasure to meet you!

Mussorgsky - A Night on Bare Mountain
Tchaikovsky - Piano Concerto No. 1
Shostakovich - Symphony No. 5

Andrew Litton & RPO
Natashi Paremski - Piano

http://www.panicmanual.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/natasha_paremski.jpg

Well, what a night! The Mussorgsky set the tone with a thrilling performance, the brass section especially setting the hall alight. Then a short break while the Steinway concert grand was wheeled into place. And then - good grief, piano pyrotechnics! But more than that, Paremski played with vigour and a confidence belying her apparent age. She danced over the keys during the quiet sections, but the Tchaikovsky power chords rang through with a potency that was felt by us only five rows from the front. The Concerto No. 1 is certainly not one of my favourites, but I found the third movement especially convincing and somewhat less brash than I've heard it before. Paremski is also rather pretty and gave us an encore. How I wish she could have played the Grieg!

After the interval, Julian and I agreed that the RPO absolutely nailed the Shossy 5th. Fantastic playing from all parts of the orchestra. I have always thought the RPO a top band but they really put on a display last night and their timing was impeccable. I really don't know how Shostakovich got away with it, but he played a fine balancing act between keeping Stalin at bay (he really feared for his life at the time of the inaugural performance) and continuing to ridicule the Soviet empire. Lots of tiny cues and references to DSCH make this a highly recognisable Shossy work.

The finale was awesome and the Festival Hall rang with rapturous applause afterwards. A mightly fine performance indeed and a memorable start to the AoS Classical Club! Let's have more of you attending next time...

julesd68
17-10-2012, 12:53
Well, the first thing to say is how nice it was to meet Martin and Ruth last night. We all got to the RFH earlier than planned so we had a good chat before heading off to our seats.

Martin - I now have a confession to make! :eyebrows:

As usual myself and friend headed off to our £9 seats up high in the balcony. The usher asked me if we would like a "free upgrade" and promptly produced tickets for the front row of the stalls! Naturally we accepted and headed down to our new position right in front of the first violins. I play my classical music very loudly at home, so I wasn't going to miss out on a chance to be so close to the music and feel that much more immersed in the action.

The Mussorgsky was a great piece to be so close to the violins. The massed string tones and sense of dynamics was simply wonderful. It's a piece that when I hear it on the radio, it can sometimes sound just a little "overfamiliar" but conductor Andrew Litton made it sound fresh and exciting, keeping a very tight rein on proceedings - a great opener.

Onto Ms Paremski. Let's get the perving over first. Martin calls her "rather pretty". Well, she came on wearing this figure hugging number -

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8193/8096784284_d15012d988_m.jpg

She also treated us to a pair of towering black Christian Louboutin stilettos (I am reliably informed!) and some rather fetching tights. We had a "rear view" and caught quite an eyeful. :eek: Fortunately Paremski is not just a looker; she has an abundance of talent. Her playing was powerful, yet supple and lithe when required, sweeping you through a great range of emotions. She is quite a character, even chatting to the audience between movements! The rapturous applause she received was well deserved, as was the delightful encore of one of Rachmaninov's Etudes-Tableaux which was poignant and delicate. I must add that I also throughly enjoyed the sympathetic accompaniment of RPO who were polished throughout.

The Shostakovich was absolutely electrifying from start to finish. Andrew Litton broke into quite a sweat as he extracted every last ounce of dash and vigour from the RPO. They responded in admirable fashion, obviously relishing their chance to shine.

So, a wonderfully balanced programme, performed to stellar heights and the most enjoyable concert I have been to for some time. Let's do it again!

MartinT
17-10-2012, 13:11
She also treated us to a pair of towering black Christian Louboutin stilettos (I am reliably informed!)

You are WAY better informed than me! We certainly noticed the stilettos and I remarked to Ruth about how on earth she could operate the pedals in those, but she appeared to have no problems at all. I bet she drives in them!

What was utterly remarkable was on a couple of occasions when she was giving it some serious Tchaikovskian welly, hands darting around the keyboard, and she just looked up and around at the orchestra, smiling!!

julesd68
17-10-2012, 13:20
You are WAY better informed than me!

It's that Quentin chap you know! He has an encyclopedic knowledge of the finer ladies' accoutrements :eyebrows:

jandl100
18-10-2012, 06:35
Sounds like a great concert! :violin: :thumbsup:

Damn shame I'm 3 hours away, I'd love to come to these. :( ... especially with soloists like that! :drool: :lol:

julesd68
18-10-2012, 17:22
Would be great to meet you Jerry :)

What venues for classical music do you have closer to home?

jandl100
19-10-2012, 06:37
Would be great to meet you Jerry :)

What venues for classical music do you have closer to home?

Cardiff, Birmingham & small town stuff.

Andrei
27-11-2012, 11:36
Sorry Martin, but forewarned is forearmed - she does have a reputation for pulling out at the last moment, if you'll forgive the expression! :lol:

No. NO. NOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo! She's ... she's a bloke???

MartinT
27-11-2012, 12:04
Worse still - she DID pull out!!

julesd68
27-11-2012, 12:36
Ah yes - the enigma that is Ms Argerich ... :piano:

I noticed this morning that she is due to play a couple of concerts in Italy and France next year - some of that Beethoven malarkey, so not for me - but she might just make it over here, for me to go through my annual ritual of buying tickets to see a concert that doesn't happen ... :doh:

MartinT
27-11-2012, 13:04
My dream would be to hear her play the Rach 3, but I might as well dream on :(

julesd68
27-11-2012, 14:05
My dream would be Ravel's "Gaspard de la Nuit". At least I have the vinyl to console myself with ...

MartinT
27-11-2012, 16:15
Yes, I have her live Rach 3 CD, which is a wonderful performance but only an acceptable recording.

Andrei
02-01-2013, 09:00
Sorry Martin, but forewarned is forearmed - she does have a reputation for pulling out at the last moment, if you'll forgive the expression!

On the other hand you wont be frustrated when you find what she can do with her hands.

MartinT
06-02-2013, 00:04
Last night, I went to heaven and came back again. Or, at least, I might have thought that if I was at all religious. So what’s the atheist equivalent? I saw the Eagle Nebula up close? That experience will do.

As if the Poulenc Gloria wasn’t sufficiently awesome (I use that word deliberately, I even looked it up), we were treated to a performance of Duruflé’s Requiem so wonderful that I had said experience several times over without anyone even noticing. Poulenc is one of my very favourite composers and tragically neglected as a minor one. His Stabat Mater was my first love and the Gloria has crept up on me more slowly. The typical Poulenc style shines through; lots of minor episodes all strung together making a sound world that is quite unique and very recognisable. I was most annoyed that Sarah Fox, the very capable soprano, was not brought back to the stage after her performance. Poor show, audience.

I know the Duruflé well but had never heard it performed live until last night. An utterly beautiful piece, belying its composition in 1947, it took the roof off in places, with the Bach Choir belting it out and my composure slipping. I turned to my partner afterwards and asked her if she would play a part of it, any part, at my funeral. I tried counting up all the concerts I’ve been to in the last 10 years; there have been too many to count accurately, but I’m pretty certain I can say that this was the finest, most rewarding of them all.

Throughout all of this, the RPO performed flawlessly and the Bach Choir were simply wonderful. And boy, did they fill the Festival Hall. The hall’s poor organ had a harder time of it; never a very powerful instrument, it was found severely wanting during the deep pedals at the end of the Agnus Dei. Let’s hope the restoration brings it up to something approaching the Albert Hall’s epic air moving capabilities.

Truly, a night to remember.

MartinT
06-02-2013, 16:06
Julian - you went to the concert, what did you think of it?

julesd68
06-02-2013, 16:35
Thanks for the nudge Martin - have been catching up on some sleep today!

I thoroughly enjoyed the Poulenc. I used to sing Poulenc as a young chorister so this was a bit of a trip down memory lane for me. I thought the choir were a little slow to get into their stride; the conductor clearly wanted to get a little more "oomph" out of them in the first two parts. The soloist was excellent throughout, with a fine purity of tone. I too was a little surprised why the audience didn't warm to her a little more … Must find a good vinyl copy of the Gloria.

The Canteloube was a mixed bag for me. First thing to say is that the soloist was utterly superb throughout - not just technically, but she had a fine stage presence aswell. I have never heard this work before - certain songs worked for me and held my attention but others I found somewhat "schmaltzy". At its worst, some songs sounded like backing tracks for British Airways adverts! In fact, I think one of them was …

Onto the Durufle. I have to say that I was very much looking forward to this but I was really tired yesterday and my attention waned as the work progressed, which is a real shame as it is quite rarely performed. On this work the choir showed much more empathy for the music and were totally convincing throughout. This work is often unfairly labelled as Faure Requiem part 2, and that the composer was more than "inspired" by Faure. I heard so much wonderfully fresh, evocative and ephemeral music, that this comparison bothered me for less than a nano-second last night. One thing that would have improved it for me would have been a cathedral setting like St Paul's, which would have sent the music reverberating to the heavens. Still haven't found that fabled Argo recording of this ...

One slight down note - the circle where I was sitting was probably half-empty. I felt a slight lack of atmosphere in the hall and the applause felt a little laboured to me, which isn't something I have really encountered at the Festival Hall.

The RPO was indeed flawless throughout.

julesd68
06-02-2013, 16:45
PS - I shall be buying ASD2835 - not only does this contain the Gloria, but has the Durufle Organ Concerto too which I've never heard. Gets a top rating from the Penguin Guide...

MartinT
06-02-2013, 17:37
Of the various recordings of the Duruflé I have in my collection, this is my favourite:

http://www.sainsburysentertainment.co.uk/media/ProductImage/largeImage/ProductImage-1628743.jpg

Great choir, fantastic climaxes and organ pedals to shake the room.

julesd68
13-06-2014, 13:13
A quite wonderful performance last night at the Barbican by Nicola Benedetti, playing what must be her 'signature' piece, Bruch's 'Scottish Fantasy'. Deeply lyrical, heartfelt and nuanced, but fiendishly technically demanding in parts, it was no wonder the audience got her back three times to take the applause ...

Luckily the evening didn't end there and we were treated to a powerful rendition of Dvorak 8, with the LSO playing it as though it were the world premiere. Hats off to Sir Mark Elder.

keiths
17-07-2014, 18:58
I'd not been to a classical concert for many years, but went to see the Hallé at Manchester's Bridgewater Hall last Saturday evening. The programme of music by English composers, part of the Promenade Concerts series, was as follows:

William Walton - Johannesburg Festival Overture

Ralph Vaughan Williams - The Lark Ascending

Benjamin Britten - Simple Symphony: Playful Pizzicato

Edward Elgar - Enigma Variations: Troyte, W.N. and Nimrod

Malcolm Arnold - Overture: Tam O'Shanter

Edward Elgar: The Wand of Youth

Ralph Vaughan Williams - Fantasia on Greensleeves

Benjamin Britten - Storm From 'Peter Grimes'

Frederick Delius - Irmelin: Prelude

Gustav Holst: The Perfect Fool: Ballet Suite

All was very enjoyable - I was familiar with most of the music, but had never heard Johannesburg Festival Overture nor Tam O'Shanter before and loved both these pieces - especially 'Tam' .

'Lark' was the standout of the night, beautifully played by Hallé's leader Lyn Fletcher (even though someone's mobile went off just at the wrong moment ).

Conductor Jamie Phillips treated us to an encore - EDU from Elgar's Enigma Variations rounding off a terrific programme.

It's really whetted my appetite for live Classical and have booked for The Manchester Camerata with Nicola Benedetti (Vivaldi - The Four Seasons/Mozart - Symphony No. 36/Pärt - Silouan's Song) in September, Philip Glass and the Philip Glass Ensemble (PGE Retro) in November and the Hallé again with Henning Kraggerud (Shostakovich Violin Concerto No. 2/Vaughan Williams - Fantasia on a theme by Thomas Tallis/Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 6) in January.

julesd68
17-07-2014, 22:04
Must have been a great evening Keith!

I think the Bridgewater is a world-class hall and am lucky that I get to go occasionally as my mum lives in Manchester ...

Last time I was there I got to hear 'Fantasia on a theme ... ' for the first time 'live' and it was an other-worldly experience for me. Simply one of the greatest works of all time!

I had 'Lark' on the deck the other day and never tire of it, such a moving piece.

Please report back on how you enjoy your forthcoming concerts ...

Desmo
04-12-2015, 11:18
Handel's Messiah at St George's, Hannover Square in London last night. The annual Handel Society performance in the church that Handel attended when he was resident in London. We walked past his old house on Brook Street to get there. Great performance from real experts as you would expect. link to flier (http://www.london-handel-festival.com/userfiles/files/Messiah%20flyer%203%20Dec%2015%20for%20email%20and %20web2.pdf)

A superb interesting venue, though rather an unusual, very mixed audience.

m10
19-02-2016, 10:32
Saw the Oxford Philharmonic Orchestra last night at the Middlesbrough Theatre - quite a small space (less than 500 seats) but with a big stage able to accommodate orchestra and piano. The programme was Beethoven's Piano Concerto No.1 and the Eroica Symphony - which I thought was ambitious for a provincial orchestra (with presumably so many Brendels, Ashkenazys, Klemperers and Karajans pretty fresh in everyone's memory).

Marios Papadopoulos conducted (from the keyboard in the piano concerto - seemingly conducting with his incredibly mobile and almost expressive hair while playing). The strings seemed especially accomplished with a luxurious, glowing sound - but that made the brass seem a little underpowered. Probably with Solti's Vienna Philharmonic recording of the Eroica in my mind's ear (Decca, 1958) I wanted the brass to cut through a little more - to be a little more pungent. Nonetheless a fabulous evening - very enjoyable. I would go and see them again.