PDA

View Full Version : Heat shrink on Technics arm

steveinfrance
04-07-2011, 15:32
I've seen somewhere the idea of using heatshrink to damp arm resonance on the SL1200 deck. Does anyone have experience of this?

hifi_dave
04-07-2011, 19:52
I have done it in the past and also insulating tape and self-amalgamating tape. They all work but the heat shrink will probably require removal of the headshell.

RobbieGong
05-07-2011, 12:14
Personally I would go down the KAB damper route. It is a great and subtle mod which in my experience improves the arm in the right way and makes this good arm perform better. The attached link is a review from a user, it is one of the best reviews of something I have read as he doesn't just go on about how good or bad the thing is but he explains his findings and analyses perfectly what the damper is doing and thus how it allows the arm to get on with doing it's job, less hindered by resonance etc. :)

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?raccs&1033259530

steveinfrance
06-07-2011, 17:05
Thanks, I am eyeing with considerable interest the pre-existing 'trough' in the arm board.

RobbieGong
06-07-2011, 20:31
Thanks, I am eyeing with considerable interest the pre-existing 'trough' in the arm board.

Ha Ha, dont put any oil in there whatever you do :lolsign: Joke aside the KAB damper is an excellent and subtle improvement to sound and importantly how the arm performs. Coupled with another subtle but effective mod being the Isonoe feet you start to get into more of the inner detail on the vinyl being revealed. As I say these are a couple of good subtle mods. (Both also look pretty cool too IMO ) :)