PDA

View Full Version : Technics EPA 500 Tonearm

RobbieGong
02-07-2011, 10:17
Hi guys, Does anyone know anything about this tonearm for the Technics deck ? I am well on the upgrade road with my MK5g (Timestep external psu, Mike New bearing and KAB fluid damper to date) I've always enjoyed the stock arm especially with damper in place and love the fantastic fly on the wheel vta adjust hence it's one area I've never been fussed about changing. Having discovered this lovely looking Techy arm which retains the vta adjust I'm now curious. Is it better than the stock Techy arm, it certainly looks good. Does anyone know about it or have experience - Cheers :)

WOStantonCS100
02-07-2011, 18:34
Hi guys, Does anyone know anything about this tonearm for the Technics deck ? I am well on the upgrade road with my MK5g (Timestep external psu, Mike New bearing and KAB fluid damper to date) I've always enjoyed the stock arm especially with damper in place and love the fantastic fly on the wheel vta adjust hence it's one area I've never been fussed about changing. Having discovered this lovely looking Techy arm which retains the vta adjust I'm now curious. Is it better than the stock Techy arm, it certainly looks good. Does anyone know about it or have experience - Cheers :)

The EPA series is generally thought more highly of than the stock arm. The 500 had different arm wand options for cartridges of various compliances. I'm not sure if any of them were titanium nitride (like the 100). If there is a titanium nitride arm wand option and you can get your hands on it, I'd use it! or at least, try it out (if the geometry works). My SL-M3 has a titanium nitride arm and even in that configuration (motor driven linear tracker) it sounds quite good. Unfortunately, I can't give a definitive assessment because it's an apples to oranges comparison (linear vs. pivoted). The EPA's are getting harder and harder to source at a "reasonable" price.

StanleyB
02-07-2011, 18:46
I have owned a couple of the EPA-500 arms and still got one near new unused plus all sorts of spare bits. So you could say I have a reasonable amount of experience with them:).

Now here for the good and bad news:
Don't even think of fitting one to a SL-1200. It was not designed for that TT. The arm is too long.
But if you got a SP-1 or SP-10, then the EPA-500 is next to near perfect.

bogle111
02-07-2011, 18:48
Hi

Before doing anything, I would check if the geometry of the arm will fit the 1210.

I have a funny feeling that Technics "fitted" arms are different geometry to the "separate" arms, though I may be wrong.

Regards

WOStantonCS100
02-07-2011, 19:36
I have owned a couple of the EPA-500 arms and still got one near new unused plus all sorts of spare bits. So you could say I have a reasonable amount of experience with them:).

Now here for the good and bad news:
Don't even think of fitting one to a SL-1200. It was not designed for that TT. The arm is too long.
But if you got a SP-1 or SP-10, then the EPA-500 is next to near perfect.

Out of curiosity, could that arm be used on a 1200 with a custom armboard, where the mounting hole is positioned further away from the platter? I haven't looked to see what the effective length is compared to a stock arm. Is it that much of a difference? I'm just asking because it seems like the part of the tonearm that extends below the armboard is a lot narrower than the very wide stock setup and there's a pretty big opening and room to play with.

EDIT: Just looked it up. From what I can tell the effective length difference is a good 20mm (250mm vs. 230mm). Mounting distance of the EPA 500 is 235mm, not sure what it is for the stock 1200. Looks like a pretty big difference.

StanleyB
02-07-2011, 20:06
EDIT: Just looked it up. From what I can tell the effective length difference is a good 20mm (250mm vs. 230mm). Mounting distance of the EPA 500 is 235mm, not sure what it is for the stock 1200. Looks like a pretty big difference.
You found the answer.

WOStantonCS100
02-07-2011, 20:13
You found the answer.

So, StanleyB, looks like Robert's only logical course of action now is to buy an SP-10 to go along with his EPA-500 and 1200! :eyebrows: That's the kind of logic that gets one in trouble with the other half. :lol:

RobbieGong
02-07-2011, 20:17
Oakey dokes guys, I wont even consider it on my 1210 mk5g, would have loved to have tried one though as it did look.. well like it would fit perfectly and as if it was designed for a 1200/1210. I'll stick with my stock item, I'm very happy with it's sound, the great vta adjust and it's overall funtionality - Thanks for enlightening me though - :respect:

StanleyB
02-07-2011, 20:20
So, StanleyB, looks like Robert's only logical course of action now is to buy an SP-10 to go along with his EPA-500
There are a couple of SP10 on eBay right now;). There's also a EPA-500 there at an eye watering price. Maybe it's time for me to part with mine soon. It's time someone else get to play with it.

RobbieGong
03-07-2011, 12:05
Ha Ha, I think I'll stick with my trusty 1210 mk5g which came standard with the better wiring through the arm, and the gold plated RCA's. With the KAB fluid damper, Timestep psu and Mike New bearing and the superb 2M Black at the helm it is sounding wonderful so it's a keeper right now ! (SP10 and EPA 500 journey will only lead to bailiffs poppin over never mind divorce - :lolsign:)
P.S: If she ever knew the cost of the above mods and the 2M black she'd have contacted the solicitors ages ago :eek: - ha ha !!! :lol:

Alex_UK
03-07-2011, 14:02
Ha Ha, I think I'll stick with my trusty 1210 mk5g which came standard with the better wiring through the arm, and the gold plated RCA's. With the KAB fluid damper, Timestep psu and Mike New bearing and the superb 2M Black at the helm it is sounding wonderful so it's a keeper right now ! (SP10 and EPA 500 journey will only lead to bailiffs poppin over never mind divorce - :lolsign:)
P.S: If she ever knew the cost of the above mods and the 2M black she'd have contacted the solicitors ages ago :eek: - ha ha !!! :lol:

Let's hope she doesn't know how to view your internet browsing History, then! :lol:

chris@panteg
03-07-2011, 14:36

Sound great Robbie , i really miss the Techy arm , i think i enjoyed it more than the 309 :scratch: i know that sounds crazy but maybe I'm losing the plot .

RobbieGong
03-07-2011, 15:52
Funny you should say that Chris. I've read so much with regard to so many 'modders' hell bent on the new arm route that I've thought there must be something wrong with me as I've never felt the need and like the stock arm and it's sound etc a lot,especially with the damper on board, obviously I have the benefit of the MK5g coming with the improved wiring through the arm as standard. That said, I'm sure there are others who prefer the extra weight and slam to the overall presentation I've read some of these other arms bring. In fact I read on one forum where a guy liked the extra whatever he was getting at first but then found it to be fatiguing and hankered for the sound of the original arm. Horses for course I guess, one mans meat etc :) I'm more than happy with the 2M Black on the stock arm, sounds wonderful. Some say that they wouldn't put a really good (for want of a better description) or expensive mc on the techy stock arm ??

chris@panteg
03-07-2011, 16:17
Funny you should say that Chris. I've read so much with regard to so many 'modders' hell bent on the new arm route that I've thought there must be something wrong with me as I've never felt the need and like the stock arm and it's sound etc a lot,especially with the damper on board, obviously I have the benefit of the MK5g coming with the improved wiring through the arm as standard. That said, I'm sure there are others who prefer the extra weight and slam to the overall presentation I've read some of these other arms bring. In fact I read on one forum where a guy liked the extra whatever he was getting at first but then found it to be fatiguing and hankered for the sound of the original arm. Horses for course I guess, one mans meat etc :) I'm more than happy with the 2M Black on the stock arm, sounds wonderful. Some say that they wouldn't put a really good (for want of a better description) or expensive mc on the techy stock arm ??

Robbie ' You might be interested to know Richard (Vantage) prefers to do as little as possible to the 1200/1210 , subtle modifications like the bearing and platter , re-wiring the arm and moving the psu to a case but the deck isn't that far away from stock ! He could and can do a lot more to it and at considerably more cost ! But the performance gains as the cost rises are much less ! Some may argue with this but i like this approach , find a reference point and make small improvements , anything that changes the sound dramatically needs to be looked at very carefully ! As it may be different and not better ?

RobbieGong
03-07-2011, 16:39
Robbie ' You might be interested to know Richard (Vantage) prefers to do as little as possible to the 1200/1210 , subtle modifications like the bearing and platter , re-wiring the arm and moving the psu to a case but the deck isn't that far away from stock ! He could and can do a lot more to it and at considerably more cost ! But the performance gains as the cost rises are much less ! Some may argue with this but i like this approach , find a reference point and make small improvements , anything that changes the sound dramatically needs to be looked at very carefully ! As it may be different and not better ?

Perfectly put Chris. I've noticed that the changes I've added have only made the 1210 sound better and enhanced it's strengths which has made me realise along with a lot of views read on a host of forums that you dont necessarilly have to go crazy with the mods to really have a super sounding turntable. Before the Mike New bearing and external psu mine was starting to take me into the realness of the performance and the recording which is such a joy when listening to your favourite tunes, I'ts like wow. Adding the Mike New and external psu has basically added a wonderful clarity and a bit more of the same to the presentation to the point where I've told myself that this is where it stops, I really have to just keep on enjoying the music now and celebrate where the mods and fettling has taken me, cause it most certainly aint broke - Wonderful ;)

chris@panteg
03-07-2011, 17:03
Perfectly put Chris. I've noticed that the changes I've added have only made the 1210 sound better and enhanced it's strengths which has made me realise along with a lot of views read on a host of forums that you dont necessarilly have to go crazy with the mods to really have a super sounding turntable. Before the Mike New bearing and external psu mine was starting to take me into the realness of the performance and the recording which is such a joy when listening to your favourite tunes, I'ts like wow. Adding the Mike New and external psu has basically added a wonderful clarity and a bit more of the same to the presentation to the point where I've told myself that this is where it stops, I really have to just keep on enjoying the music now and celebrate where the mods and fettling has taken me, cause it most certainly aint broke - Wonderful ;)

Nice one , your Techy looks nicely sorted , I've heard and read great things about the 2M black , sounds like you're in vinyl heaven :) Now if only i can find it :scratch: One day .

ludovico
05-07-2011, 15:30

The EPA-500 is too long for the SL-1210 deck (it is a 10 inches arm). Yu need a 9" arm.

Peter Stockwell
08-07-2011, 12:09
With the ... superb 2M Black at the helm it is sounding wonderful so it's a keeper right now !

Mine doesn't ask anymore either, I'd just have trouble changing the speaks, but anything else is ok now, although it wasn't always ever thus.

2M Black, was it diffecult to decide to buy that ?

RobbieGong
09-07-2011, 14:12
Mine doesn't ask anymore either, I'd just have trouble changing the speaks, but anything else is ok now, although it wasn't always ever thus.

2M Black, was it diffecult to decide to buy that ?

Hi, It wasn't difficult at all to be honest. I'd gone up the upgrade cartridge path slowly. The first cartridge I ever had on my Techy MK2 was the Concorde S, simply because I loved the look of it in black with the small red dot. Fortunately for me it sounded good too. Very balanced, non fatiguing and played everything very nicely. I then used one when I replaced my MK2 with a brand new MK5g. Again, the Concorde sounded good but I wanted to try a 'better' cartridge did some reading and decided that I'd stick with Ortofon and went for a new 2M Blue which was very nice indeed. Now I really had the bug and knowing that the top of the 2M line Black existed I just had to have some of it. I knew that I wouldn't be dissapointed if the Blue was anything to go by, I'd also read loads of great things about the Black. I sold the Blue and did a pay monthly deal with a hi fi company that had that as an option. This is when I realised what could really be achieved. The Black is superb, it extracts so much detail from the record and it also presents horns, strings, keyboards, percussion, vocals, everything really with it's right and natural texture, very lifelike and 3D and just the right amount of air around things. I've said it many times though that it needs to be set up with patience and care. I downloaded one of those protractors for the S1200 / 1210 from Vinyl engine to align and follow the arc, easy peasey with this printed protractor. Make sure the cartridge is also nice and straight in the headshell too, the usual stuf.. The Black is also very fussy and sensitive to vta due to the profile of it's highly polished Shibata diamond, the same diamond found in Ortofons highly regarded £1K + Jubilee. This is where the excellent dial in height adjust on the Techy is priceless and one of the reasons I will not look to remove this good arm and superb feature for another arm. You can literally stand back, listen carefully whilst turning the dial the smallest degree around the 1 mark as recommnended for this cartridge on the Techy and as you listen and turn ever ever so slowly and by the tiniest amount you will hear where it will just suddenly fall in and sound so right. It takes patience but slowly does it, it's worth it trust me. Once ya there you'll see why people rate this cartridge. I've never had an mc but they say that the Black is as good as many and better than some. I've seen some serious good and expensive decks reviewed with this cartridge on board which speaks for itself. Is it worth £450ish ? In my opinion yes. Remember it is regarded as probably one of if not the best mm you can get, the stylus is also replaceable which I'll definately do whenever my curent one wears which aint for a long time yet. I've also noticed that the Black sounded superb before I added the KAB damper, Timestep psu or the Mike New Bearing afterwhich it went from superb to awesome -vinyl nirvana !! ;)