PDA

View Full Version : Sl200 cartridge & arm set up

Macca
30-06-2011, 13:22
I've fitted my Ortofon cart to my 1200's headshell but it is way too light. Even with the counterweight right at the end stop (at the headshell end) the arm just wants to lift itself off the record. I've put a bit of blu-tak on top of the headshell and now works and sounds okay but surely this isn't right? What am I doing wrong here?

Canetoad
30-06-2011, 14:24
Do you have the small weight (Technics accessory part) screwed into the back of the tonearm? :scratch:

Macca
30-06-2011, 14:29
Do you have the small weight (Technics accessory part) screwed into the back of the tonearm? :scratch:

The back of the tone arm has a stainless steel end cap. You're saying I'm missing a bit?

colinB
30-06-2011, 14:56
Does it have the screw in metal counterweight at the end of the arm? If it does you can take it of and you should be able to balance then. There is a plastic one available to counter unwanted resonance which adds little weight .
The headshell weight is only found on the mk5 i think.

DSJR
30-06-2011, 15:36
Which Ortofon is it? If it's one of the huge slender OM family, there should be a weight in the mounting block to bring the mass up. My SL1500 balances an OM5e out and also the related OM Pro (Silver) I have with no difficulty, but if the weight isn't there, you'll have trouble I'm afraid.

If I'm correct, and you've lost the weight, then if it's a techie style shell, one of the admittedly hideous screw-on weights may be enough to balance it out, or fill the void in the mount with plasticene.

Macca
30-06-2011, 15:47
Does it have the screw in metal counterweight at the end of the arm? If it does you can take it of and you should be able to balance then. There is a plastic one available to counter unwanted resonance which adds little weight .
The headshell weight is only found on the mk5 i think.

If you mean the little end cap then I will try removing this and see if it makes a difference. The arm is certainly too heavy at the back for some reason.

Dave the tip is a 510 mk2 on a 540 mk 2 body.

Macca
30-06-2011, 16:08
If you mean the little end cap then I will try removing this and see if it makes a difference. .

And yes it really was that simple. That litle weight is heavy!

Thanks Colin - owe you a pint matey

colinB
30-06-2011, 16:14
Cool. As i say there is a plastic replacement or you could plug it with a blob of blu tac.

Macca
30-06-2011, 16:19
It's not a good idea just to leave it as it is?

Have to say the damn thing is now sounding fantastic with some Doobie Brothers spinning - and that's with the tracking set by ear - I'll need to recalibrate the tonearm weight somehow I guess.:scratch:

colinB
30-06-2011, 16:32
No i wouldnt worry about it. Having changed the arm i dont think its that bad.
If you want to tweak some people say a bit of cotton either end calms the resonance or plumbers tape wrapped round the tube.
Or you could just put on a record and enjoy the sweet sounds of the Technics 1200 :rave:

Macca
30-06-2011, 16:37
Or you could just put on a record and enjoy the sweet sounds of the Technics 1200 :rave:

yep that's what I'm doing! really pissed off actually 'cause I have to go out to a mate's retirement do in half an hour and I'd rather stop in and listen to this deck:(